From: me_af...@privacy.net (Afzal A. Khan)
Newsgroups: alt.language.urdu.poetry
Subject: Belated Reply To A Query Of Z. S.
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2021 23:28:42 -0500
 by: Afzal A. Khan - Fri, 23 Jul 2021 04:28 UTC

Mukarramee Naseer Saheb (and other ALUPers),

Sab se pehle.....

I have read all the messages for my full recovery sent by
all my friends and well-wishers.

And I must thank all of them through this post.

****************

However, due to age and age-related ailments, I find it
quite difficult to participate in ALUP discussions on a
regular basis.

Hoping to be excused.......

****************

Quite recently, a specific reference has been made to me
in regard to the sad demise of Dilip Kumar Saheb. I think
I should respond suitably. Also, I may have quite few things
to say about him......

But, due to the reasons cited above, I shall be able to do so
only in installments.........

Maybe after a few of days.....

****************

But before I do so, I think I ought to reply to a query raised
by Z. S. a few weeks (or even a few months earlier).......

And that concerns the full name of an old Indian actress. Z. S.
(and someone connected or related to her) remembered the actress's
first name, but not the full name........

So let me do the needful.......

Her full name was Shanta Apte. She was born in 1916 in a small
Indian town Dudhni, in Maharashtra. This town is located in
Sholapur District. And when she was born there in 1916, its
population must have been just a few hundred. As per the
census in 2001, its population was a mere 12000.. The town has a
well-known temple (Shri Sidhrameshwar) and a Mosque (Syed Basha
Mosque). But I am not sure of the correct spelling)........

****************

Shanta Apte died in 1964, at a relatively young age of about 47-48
years. At that time, she was staying in Andheri area of Bombay.
She had been ailing for some time, and died of a heart attack.

****************

However, there is no need to go into further details about her.

****************

Her best know film is "Duniya Na Maane", which is a 1937 film.
IIRC, another film with the same name was made many years later,
maybe in the late 1950's (around 1959 perhaps).

****************

She represented the idea of Women's empowerment in an age when this
concept was absolutely unthinkable.

****************

At that time, a very popular and influential film magazine used to be
published by a well-known journalist by the name of Baburao Patel.
It was a glossy magazine and used to be printed on art paper. It was
priced at Re. 1/-, which was a lot of money in those days. {BTW, I
have a few issues of that old magazine}.

Many years later, Patel stopped publication of this magazine and
started another in its place. I think it was called "Mother India".

Patel was also a homeopath, I think. With his earnings, he made a
huge bungalow for himself in a Gujarat city. And, he named it
Girnar.

Also, IIRC, he had married a second time. His second wife was a
a very fair woman of short stature --- Sushila Rani Patel. She was
a well-known singer in her own right.

I remember attending one of her concerts.

****************

Baburao Patel used to consider himself as the sole arbiter of the
films made at the time. Any film praised by him was bound to be
successful. And any film panned by him was doomed to fail at the
Box Office. But there was one notable exception. Around 1943,
a film starring Ashok Kumar was released "Kismet". Patel wrote a
very strongly worded review of this film. His main grouse was that
the film celebrated Crime. In a sense, it was true. This film
concerned a crook with a heart of gold (Ashok Kumar). I think the
leading lady was Mumtaz Shanti. Apart from the heart-warming story,
the main reason for the success of the film was its music by Anil
Biswas. I think its most popular song was :

Dheere dheere, aa re baadal
Dheee dheere aa

Mera bulbul so raha hai
Shor-o-GHul na macha

The "bulbul" was of course the heroine Mumtaz Shanti.

Another song from this film became quite popular. It may be noted
that World War II was still raging around this time (1943). The
Japanese had even bombed Calcutta, leading to the exodus of all the
Marwari Seths from the city.

This second song was :

Door haTo, door haTo, ai duniya waalo
Hindustaan hamaara hai

Ostensibly, the song was addressed to the Japanese. But the
film-goers readily understood that its real target was the
British Government who were still ruling India.

****************

Reverting to Shanta Apte.........

Irked by the attitude of Baburao Patel, she once stormed into
his office and beat him with a cane.

****************

In a few days' time, health permitting, I propose to write
something about the late thespian Dilip Kumar Saheb.

I have quite a few things to say about him. So, maybe,
I shall do so in installments........

Afzal

Re: Belated Reply To A Query Of Z. S.

<9ca37138-b5c9-4339-86a8-a72d198f2803n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1407&group=alt.language.urdu.poetry#1407

Newsgroups: alt.language.urdu.poetry
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2021 03:34:20 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Belated Reply To A Query Of Z. S.
From: qures...@gmail.com (Naseer)
 by: Naseer - Fri, 23 Jul 2021 10:34 UTC

On Friday, 23 July 2021 at 05:28:45 UTC+1, Afzal A. Khan wrote:
> [...]
> that World War II was still raging around this time (1943). The
> Japanese had even bombed Calcutta, leading to the exodus of all the
> Marwari Seths from the city.
>
> This second song was :
>
> Door haTo, door haTo, ai duniya waalo
> Hindustaan hamaara hai
>
> Ostensibly, the song was addressed to the Japanese. But the
> film-goers readily understood that its real target was the
> British Government who were still ruling India.
>

> ****************
>
> Reverting to Shanta Apte.........
>
> Irked by the attitude of Baburao Patel, she once stormed into
> his office and beat him with a cane.
>

> ****************
>

> In a few days' time, health permitting, I propose to write
> something about the late thespian Dilip Kumar Saheb.
>
> I have quite a few things to say about him. So, maybe,

muHtaram Afzal SaaHib, aadaab.

We are all immensely pleased to see you here after a lengthy break. No doubt you are feeling much better than you have been in the past. Please do not worry one tiny bit about having to answer our questions or seeing to our requests. Your health is of paramount importance to us and your appearance here, just to say "All is well" is all that we ask for.

Best wishes,

Naseer

Re: Belated Reply To A Query Of Z. S.

<ee3bb758-d39e-40b6-b6a2-11a1005728een@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1410&group=alt.language.urdu.poetry#1410

Newsgroups: alt.language.urdu.poetry
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2021 10:01:04 -0700 (PDT)
From: zbi...@yahoo.com (Zoya)
 by: Zoya - Fri, 23 Jul 2021 17:01 UTC

On Thursday, July 22, 2021 at 11:28:45 PM UTC-5, Afzal A. Khan wrote:
> Mukarramee Naseer Saheb (and other ALUPers),
>
> Sab se pehle.....
>
> I have read all the messages for my full recovery sent by
> all my friends and well-wishers.
>
> And I must thank all of them through this post.

Afzal sahib,

aadaab,

I can't even tell you how happy I am to see you back in the forum. I have been genuinely missing your 'ramblings', as you call them, and it feels great to read this post. :)

> ****************
> However, due to age and age-related ailments, I find it
> quite difficult to participate in ALUP discussions on a
> regular basis.
>
> Hoping to be excused.......

We totally understand, regular participation takes up a lot of time and energy. Please take good care of yourself and keep in touch as and when possible.

> ****************
> Quite recently, a specific reference has been made to me
> in regard to the sad demise of Dilip Kumar Saheb. I think
> I should respond suitably. Also, I may have quite few things
> to say about him......
>
> But, due to the reasons cited above, I shall be able to do so
> only in installments.........
>
> Maybe after a few of days.....

Looking forward to it, whenever you get a chance.

> ****************

> But before I do so, I think I ought to reply to a query raised
> by Z. S. a few weeks (or even a few months earlier).......
>
> And that concerns the full name of an old Indian actress. Z. S.
> (and someone connected or related to her) remembered the actress's
> first name, but not the full name........
>
> So let me do the needful.......
>
> Her full name was Shanta Apte. She was born in 1916 in a small
> Indian town Dudhni, in Maharashtra. This town is located in
> Sholapur District. And when she was born there in 1916, its
> population must have been just a few hundred. As per the
> census in 2001, its population was a mere 12000.. The town has a
> well-known temple (Shri Sidhrameshwar) and a Mosque (Syed Basha
> Mosque). But I am not sure of the correct spelling)........

Thank you so much. My dad has lately been watching some really old movies on Youtube, and he mentioned Ms Apte's name. I had never heard about her before, and told him that I will ask my Alup friend Afzal sahib about her. I was sure that you'll be able to provide some details. I will read your message to my dad when I talk to him tomorrow.

> ****************
> Shanta Apte died in 1964, at a relatively young age of about 47-48
> years. At that time, she was staying in Andheri area of Bombay.
> She had been ailing for some time, and died of a heart attack.
> However, there is no need to go into further details about her.

> Her best know film is "Duniya Na Maane", which is a 1937 film.
> IIRC, another film with the same name was made many years later,
> maybe in the late 1950's (around 1959 perhaps).

This is exactly the movie dad watched, and he was raving about the story line. I have not watched it yet, it is on my list though.

> ****************
> She represented the idea of Women's empowerment in an age when this
> concept was absolutely unthinkable.

Sounds like my kind of lady, love this detail about her. :)

> ****************

> At that time, a very popular and influential film magazine used to be
> published by a well-known journalist by the name of Baburao Patel.
> It was a glossy magazine and used to be printed on art paper. It was
> priced at Re. 1/-, which was a lot of money in those days. {BTW, I
> have a few issues of that old magazine}.
>
> Many years later, Patel stopped publication of this magazine and
> started another in its place. I think it was called "Mother India".
>
> Patel was also a homeopath, I think. With his earnings, he made a
> huge bungalow for himself in a Gujarat city. And, he named it
> Girnar.
>
> Also, IIRC, he had married a second time. His second wife was a
> a very fair woman of short stature --- Sushila Rani Patel. She was
> a well-known singer in her own right.
>
> I remember attending one of her concerts.

Interesting, now you have me wondering where you might be going with this Mr Patel.........

> ****************

> Baburao Patel used to consider himself as the sole arbiter of the
> films made at the time. Any film praised by him was bound to be
> successful. And any film panned by him was doomed to fail at the
> Box Office. But there was one notable exception. Around 1943,
> a film starring Ashok Kumar was released "Kismet". Patel wrote a
> very strongly worded review of this film. His main grouse was that
> the film celebrated Crime. In a sense, it was true. This film
> concerned a crook with a heart of gold (Ashok Kumar). I think the
> leading lady was Mumtaz Shanti. Apart from the heart-warming story,
> the main reason for the success of the film was its music by Anil
> Biswas. I think its most popular song was :
>
> Dheere dheere, aa re baadal
> Dheee dheere aa
>
> Mera bulbul so raha hai
> Shor-o-GHul na macha
>
> The "bulbul" was of course the heroine Mumtaz Shanti.
>
> Another song from this film became quite popular. It may be noted
> that World War II was still raging around this time (1943). The
> Japanese had even bombed Calcutta, leading to the exodus of all the
> Marwari Seths from the city.
>
> This second song was :
>
> Door haTo, door haTo, ai duniya waalo
> Hindustaan hamaara hai
>
> Ostensibly, the song was addressed to the Japanese. But the
> film-goers readily understood that its real target was the
> British Government who were still ruling India.
I have heard both of these songs, I guess these two stood the test of time.

> ****************

> Reverting to Shanta Apte.........
>
> Irked by the attitude of Baburao Patel, she once stormed into
> his office and beat him with a cane.

Ahaaaa, what a climax! Now we know how this Patel character fits in the story. You have me actually laughing out loud. Go Ms Apte!!!! Girl power. :-)

> ****************

> In a few days' time, health permitting, I propose to write
> something about the late thespian Dilip Kumar Saheb.
>
> I have quite a few things to say about him. So, maybe,
> I shall do so in installments........

> Afzal

Afzal sahib, it feels wonderful to have you back in the group. The lingering pandemic has made me realize even more the importance of good times we have with people, life seems too unpredictable in general.

Thanks again for taking the time to answer my question. I will relate the details to my dad, I am sure he will also appreciate them as much as I have.

Hope to see you again soon,

Best regards,

________Zoya

Re: Belated Reply To A Query Of Z. S.

<24c6928a-f5c8-4d2b-af29-98172ab22f85n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1420&group=alt.language.urdu.poetry#1420

Newsgroups: alt.language.urdu.poetry
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2021 08:32:57 -0700 (PDT)
From: zbi...@yahoo.com (Zoya)
 by: Zoya - Mon, 26 Jul 2021 15:32 UTC

Afzal sahib,

aadaab,

I want to let you know that I read your post over the phone to my dad. I'd like to convey his sincere thanks to you, he is really impressed by your knowledge about Indian movies and all things related. Of course, this comes as no surprise to those of us who know you.

Interestingly, dad knew of Baburao Patel. Dad told me that when he was a student in the 1950s, he used to buy Patel's glossy magazine 'Film India' for Rs 3.50 or so, which was a lot of money back then. He also remembers that in the mid 50s, publication of 'Filmfare' started and it cost only 50 paise, but the paper quality was much worse than 'Film India'.

You had also mentioned Ashok Kumar's 'Kismet' from the 40s, dad watched it much later on TV. BTW, two other movies from the same era that he also watched later are 'Khandaan' and 'Khazaanchi'. I am not sure if you have talked about these two in the past, I don't know anything about either one.

Thanks again, Afzal sahib. Please take good care of yourself and keep in touch as and when possible.

______Zoya