No matter how much you do you never do enough.

arts / alt.games.warcraft / Re: WoW Classic Hardcore?

SubjectAuthor
* WoW Classic Hardcore?Shinnokxz
`* Re: WoW Classic Hardcore?Catriona R
 `* Re: WoW Classic Hardcore?Shinnokxz
  `- Re: WoW Classic Hardcore?Catriona R

1
WoW Classic Hardcore?

<5a5f71b3-6488-4370-96c3-d9b80bcb82cen@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=138&group=alt.games.warcraft#138

Newsgroups: alt.games.warcraft
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2023 21:56:18 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: WoW Classic Hardcore?
From: shinno...@gmail.com (Shinnokxz)
 by: Shinnokxz - Mon, 5 Jun 2023 04:56 UTC

Anyone been following the new 'in thing' streamers are doing right now? Evidently there's a community mod out there and in unison with basically commandeering an RP server out there where you level and if you die, you are set to be dead for good. You have to reroll a new character.

It's sort of interesting to watch (I haven't seen vanilla WoW in ages but don't have the time to start it up even if I was playing traditionally)

It apparently has gotten so popular Blizz is intending to release official servers with the same rules sometime this year.

Re: WoW Classic Hardcore?

<fpfn8idujq30eg3uk0bg1tp77vua994pl9@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=139&group=alt.games.warcraft#139

From: catriona...@totalise.co.uk (Catriona R)
Newsgroups: alt.games.warcraft
Subject: Re: WoW Classic Hardcore?
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2023 02:49:23 +0100
 by: Catriona R - Fri, 16 Jun 2023 01:49 UTC

On Sun, 4 Jun 2023 21:56:18 -0700 (PDT), Shinnokxz
<shinnokxz@gmail.com> wrote:

>Anyone been following the new 'in thing' streamers are doing right now? Evidently there's a community mod out there and in unison with basically commandeering an RP server out there where you level and if you die, you are set to be dead for good. You have to reroll a new character.
>
>It's sort of interesting to watch (I haven't seen vanilla WoW in ages but don't have the time to start it up even if I was playing traditionally)
>
>It apparently has gotten so popular Blizz is intending to release official servers with the same rules sometime this year.

I think I'll probably give it a shot when the official servers launch;
I enjoyed the Ironman Challenge some years back, and post-Cata
levelling was rather less challenging than vanilla, so it should be a
fun challenge to do (especially with other players around making
respawns unpredictable!). Not so sure I'll play it very long, as I'm
short on enough time to do all I want in live WoW anyway, but it does
sound fun.

Re: WoW Classic Hardcore?

<cf73663c-6b0a-40c1-8c52-c779769a2b28n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=140&group=alt.games.warcraft#140

Newsgroups: alt.games.warcraft
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2023 21:08:49 -0700 (PDT)
From: shinno...@gmail.com (Shinnokxz)
 by: Shinnokxz - Mon, 26 Jun 2023 04:08 UTC

On Thursday, June 15, 2023 at 7:49:33 PM UTC-6, Catriona R wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Jun 2023 21:56:18 -0700 (PDT), Shinnokxz
> <shin...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Anyone been following the new 'in thing' streamers are doing right now? Evidently there's a community mod out there and in unison with basically commandeering an RP server out there where you level and if you die, you are set to be dead for good. You have to reroll a new character.
> >
> >It's sort of interesting to watch (I haven't seen vanilla WoW in ages but don't have the time to start it up even if I was playing traditionally)
> >
> >It apparently has gotten so popular Blizz is intending to release official servers with the same rules sometime this year.
> I think I'll probably give it a shot when the official servers launch;
> I enjoyed the Ironman Challenge some years back, and post-Cata
> levelling was rather less challenging than vanilla, so it should be a
> fun challenge to do (especially with other players around making
> respawns unpredictable!). Not so sure I'll play it very long, as I'm
> short on enough time to do all I want in live WoW anyway, but it does
> sound fun.

It's sort of funny- I loaded time on my account to give it a whirl but ended up just playing live WoW on my ancient old undead warrior from 2004-2006. Boy is this game different. I have a lot of questions but thankfully the game just lets you plop into whatever one territory and just sort of zone out and quest for a while.

I'm curious how the mob levels work now. It seems like no matter where I go everything is around my level (which is 40) but randomly there will be a level 12 grinding the same area. This was in Durotar when I was just checking out old familiar places. Not sure how that is working. Then I spent some time in Azshara and did some sort of fun quests at the Orgrimmar gate there..

I'm also not sure what zone I 'should' be in the scheme of my level, or in terms of natural progression of story and whatnot. I do know when I'm going to these unknown places I've never been to before I'm getting better quest reward loot, experience, and gold. Right now I'm in a place that I can't remember the name but it's sand dunes and I'm being trucked around by a little fox looking creature for quests.

I tried dungeon finder once and got into a group in a completely foreign dungeon (outdoors, had bridges) and thought I was tanking okay but they kicked me. No clue why.

Re: WoW Classic Hardcore?

<gejn9i54jdsnu6cgsn7h339p2643anhkbs@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=141&group=alt.games.warcraft#141

From: catriona...@totalise.co.uk (Catriona R)
Newsgroups: alt.games.warcraft
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2023 07:31:21 +0100
 by: Catriona R - Wed, 28 Jun 2023 06:31 UTC

On Sun, 25 Jun 2023 21:08:49 -0700 (PDT), Shinnokxz
<shinnokxz@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Thursday, June 15, 2023 at 7:49:33?PM UTC-6, Catriona R wrote:
>> On Sun, 4 Jun 2023 21:56:18 -0700 (PDT), Shinnokxz
>> <shin...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Anyone been following the new 'in thing' streamers are doing right now? Evidently there's a community mod out there and in unison with basically commandeering an RP server out there where you level and if you die, you are set to be dead for good. You have to reroll a new character.
>> >
>> >It's sort of interesting to watch (I haven't seen vanilla WoW in ages but don't have the time to start it up even if I was playing traditionally)
>> >
>> >It apparently has gotten so popular Blizz is intending to release official servers with the same rules sometime this year.
>> I think I'll probably give it a shot when the official servers launch;
>> I enjoyed the Ironman Challenge some years back, and post-Cata
>> levelling was rather less challenging than vanilla, so it should be a
>> fun challenge to do (especially with other players around making
>> respawns unpredictable!). Not so sure I'll play it very long, as I'm
>> short on enough time to do all I want in live WoW anyway, but it does
>> sound fun.
>
>It's sort of funny- I loaded time on my account to give it a whirl but ended up just playing live WoW on my ancient old undead warrior from 2004-2006. Boy is this game different. I have a lot of questions but thankfully the game just lets you plop into whatever one territory and just sort of zone out and quest for a while.

Oh wow, 2006 - have you played since then at all? If not it must be
totally alien, a whole other game, it's changed so much over the
years, even missing 2-3 expansions would make for a totally different
feel.

>I'm curious how the mob levels work now. It seems like no matter where I go everything is around my level (which is 40) but randomly there will be a level 12 grinding the same area. This was in Durotar when I was just checking out old familiar places. Not sure how that is working. Then I spent some time in Azshara and did some sort of fun quests at the Orgrimmar gate there.

Mob levels scale to your lvl now, as you see in quite a lot of other
games - there's a bit of variability in it, depending which levelling
path you're on, but in general people anywhere from 10-60 can be in
the same zones, all seeing the mobs at their own lvl, and, in theory,
all doing proportionate dmg (however in reality, there's often some
lowbie with an overpowered skill who one-shots things, plus gear
scaling is just weird - some items are scaled fine, others are
useless, even when originally from the same expansion, my recent alt
had to visit the AH every few lvls to keep up).

The idea is that doing just one expansion will get you to lvl 60 now
(when you can go to Dragonflight zones, the current expansion) so it's
not like it used to be with going through many expansions to reach max
lvl - less daunting, but a shame the journey has been lost, although I
can understand it given we're on expansion 9! Once you get to 60+
older zones go back to being grey difficulty so it's still possible to
go and farm old instances for transmog etc.

>I'm also not sure what zone I 'should' be in the scheme of my level, or in terms of natural progression of story and whatnot. I do know when I'm going to these unknown places I've never been to before I'm getting better quest reward loot, experience, and gold. Right now I'm in a place that I can't remember the name but it's sand dunes and I'm being trucked around by a little fox looking creature for quests.

Sounds like Vol'dun; if you get exalted with those fox guys you can do
a quest which unlocks them as a playable race (and I think the exalted
requirement is removed next patch).

As to where you "should" be, with scaling anywhere is open to you,
although I suspect you've been pointed to Vol'Dun as the new player
experience sends people to the Battle for Azeroth expansion (erm, I
think it does anyway), and as a returning player without a high lvl
character you may well have got funneled into that direction. If
that's the case, other expansions may well not scale outside their own
lvl range until you've reached 60+ and then your alts will get the
choice of where to go.

>I tried dungeon finder once and got into a group in a completely foreign dungeon (outdoors, had bridges) and thought I was tanking okay but they kicked me. No clue why.

Ugh. I haven't done any dungeons for years now, but I keep hearing
about experiences like that - apparently you must know every dungeon
inside out and be perfect at your role or people will moan, sheesh. To
be fair, I probably mostly hear about the bad experiences people have
so it's likely not a universal experience but it sure doesn't
encourage me to try any - fortunately in recent expansions it's
entirely possible to duo normal mode with open world earned gear (in
fact geared tanks can often solo) and as I play a healer and my other
half plays classes with tank specs, I see a few that way!