The Public is merely a multiplied "me." -- Mark Twain

arts / rec.arts.tv / The Politics of the Doomsday Clock

SubjectAuthor
* The Politics of the Doomsday ClockBTR1701
+* Re: The Politics of the Doomsday ClockmoviePig

Pages:123
The Politics of the Doomsday Clock

<weOdnd1u6_C_Ibf_nZ2dnUU7-Y3NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=141291&group=rec.arts.tv#141291

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: The Politics of the Doomsday Clock
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2022 21:04:02 -0600
 by: BTR1701 - Fri, 11 Mar 2022 03:04 UTC

The self-described experts who run the Doomsday Clock won't change the time
under Biden despite a hot war in Europe involving a nuclear power whose leader
is increasingly unstable, raising questions about the practices of an
institution several legacy media outlets continue to refer to as
'scientific'.

For comparison, the same group moved the minute hand closer to midnight three
times under Trump because of things such as 'climate change' and Trump using
the term 'fake news'.

The last time the clock was turned backward was under President Barack Obama
in 2010, with the group celebrating his work on lowering carbon emissions.

Are we seeing a pattern yet?

https://freebeacon.com/national-security/doomsday-clock-will-remain-unchanged-under-biden-as-russia-puts-nuclear-arsenal-on-high-alert/

Created in the aftermath of World War II, the "Doomsday Clock" remains a
fixation by many journalists over its supposed prediction of when humanity
will end. The original founders of the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists
included Albert Einstein and other scientists who worked on the Manhattan
Project. Both the New York Times and the Washington Post track every single
one of its movements and place their coverage in the respective papers'
Science sections, despite the clock not having any basis in the scientific
method whatsoever.

Re: The Politics of the Doomsday Clock

<36AWJ.92418$3jp8.5742@fx33.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=141305&group=rec.arts.tv#141305

Subject: Re: The Politics of the Doomsday Clock
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2022 23:20:15 -0500
 by: moviePig - Fri, 11 Mar 2022 04:20 UTC

On 3/10/2022 10:04 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> The self-described experts who run the Doomsday Clock won't change the time
> under Biden despite a hot war in Europe involving a nuclear power whose leader
> is increasingly unstable, raising questions about the practices of an
> institution several legacy media outlets continue to refer to as
> 'scientific'.
>
> For comparison, the same group moved the minute hand closer to midnight three
> times under Trump because of things such as 'climate change' and Trump using
> the term 'fake news'.
>
> The last time the clock was turned backward was under President Barack Obama
> in 2010, with the group celebrating his work on lowering carbon emissions.
>
> Are we seeing a pattern yet?
>

> https://freebeacon.com/national-security/doomsday-clock-will-remain-unchanged-under-biden-as-russia-puts-nuclear-arsenal-on-high-alert/
>
> Created in the aftermath of World War II, the "Doomsday Clock" remains a
> fixation by many journalists over its supposed prediction of when humanity
> will end. The original founders of the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists
> included Albert Einstein and other scientists who worked on the Manhattan
> Project. Both the New York Times and the Washington Post track every single
> one of its movements and place their coverage in the respective papers'
> Science sections, despite the clock not having any basis in the scientific
> method whatsoever.

Umm, it's not a "supposed prediction", but an *actual* prediction.

And, a "basis in the scientific method" would require data from a few
actual doomsdays...

Re: The Politics of the Doomsday Clock

<9ZWdnchOa7bpR7f_nZ2dnUU7-f-dnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=141313&group=rec.arts.tv#141313

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2022 23:13:24 -0600
 by: BTR1701 - Fri, 11 Mar 2022 05:13 UTC

On Mar 10, 2022 at 8:20:15 PM PST, "moviePig" <pwallace@moviepig.com> wrote:

> On 3/10/2022 10:04 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
>> The self-described experts who run the Doomsday Clock won't change the time
>> under Biden despite a hot war in Europe involving a nuclear power whose
>> leader
>> is increasingly unstable, raising questions about the practices of an
>> institution several legacy media outlets continue to refer to as
>> 'scientific'.
>>
>> For comparison, the same group moved the minute hand closer to midnight
>> three
>> times under Trump because of things such as 'climate change' and Trump using
>> the term 'fake news'.
>>
>> The last time the clock was turned backward was under President Barack Obama
>> in 2010, with the group celebrating his work on lowering carbon emissions.
>>
>> Are we seeing a pattern yet?
>>

>> https://freebeacon.com/national-security/doomsday-clock-will-remain-unchanged-under-biden-as-russia-puts-nuclear-arsenal-on-high-alert/
>>
>> Created in the aftermath of World War II, the "Doomsday Clock" remains a
>> fixation by many journalists over its supposed prediction of when humanity
>> will end. The original founders of the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists
>> included Albert Einstein and other scientists who worked on the Manhattan
>> Project. Both the New York Times and the Washington Post track every single
>> one of its movements and place their coverage in the respective papers'
>> Science sections, despite the clock not having any basis in the scientific
>> method whatsoever.
>
> Umm, it's not a "supposed prediction", but an *actual* prediction.
>
> And, a "basis in the scientific method" would require data from a few
> actual doomsdays...

Then what is it doing in the Science section and being described by the media
as 'scientific'?

And do you really think the corporate media would hold it to the same esteem
if the hands only moved during the reign of Democrat presidents?

Re: The Politics of the Doomsday Clock

<t0f3r4$149h$3@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=141326&group=rec.arts.tv#141326

From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2022 03:13:07 -0600
 by: trotsky - Fri, 11 Mar 2022 09:13 UTC

On 3/10/2022 10:20 PM, moviePig wrote:
> On 3/10/2022 10:04 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
>> The self-described experts who run the Doomsday Clock won't change the
>> time
>> under Biden despite a hot war in Europe involving a nuclear power
>> whose leader
>> is increasingly unstable, raising questions about the practices of an
>> institution several legacy media outlets continue to refer to as
>> 'scientific'.
>>
>> For comparison, the same group moved the minute hand closer to
>> midnight three
>> times under Trump because of things such as 'climate change' and Trump
>> using
>> the term 'fake news'.
>>
>> The last time the clock was turned backward was under President Barack
>> Obama
>> in 2010, with the group celebrating his work on lowering carbon
>> emissions.
>>
>> Are we seeing a pattern yet?
>>

>> https://freebeacon.com/national-security/doomsday-clock-will-remain-unchanged-under-biden-as-russia-puts-nuclear-arsenal-on-high-alert/
>>

>> Created in the aftermath of World War II, the "Doomsday Clock" remains a
>> fixation by many journalists over its supposed prediction of when
>> humanity
>> will end. The original founders of the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists
>> included Albert Einstein and other scientists who worked on the Manhattan
>> Project. Both the New York Times and the Washington Post track every
>> single
>> one of its movements and place their coverage in the respective papers'
>> Science sections, despite the clock not having any basis in the
>> scientific
>> method whatsoever.
>
> Umm, it's not a "supposed prediction", but an *actual* prediction.
>
> And, a "basis in the scientific method" would require data from a few
> actual doomsdays...

He's talking about GQP science which requires no actual data at all.

Re: The Politics of the Doomsday Clock

<t0fh4d$1l0e$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=141340&group=rec.arts.tv#141340

From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2022 06:59:56 -0600
 by: trotsky - Fri, 11 Mar 2022 12:59 UTC

On 3/10/2022 9:04 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> The self-described experts who run the Doomsday Clock won't change the time
> under Biden despite a hot war in Europe involving a nuclear power whose leader
> is increasingly unstable, raising questions about the practices of an
> institution several legacy media outlets continue to refer to as
> 'scientific'.

You've already shot yourself in the dick, if you had one I mean. If the
clock has no credibility to you ignore it. Unless you're just another
right wing shitbag looking for another reason to whine, which you are. GQP!

Re: The Politics of the Doomsday Clock

<110320220947332456%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=141348&group=rec.arts.tv#141348

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2022 09:47:33 -0500
 by: A Friend - Fri, 11 Mar 2022 14:47 UTC

In article <t0fh4d$1l0e$2@gioia.aioe.org>, trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
wrote:

> On 3/10/2022 9:04 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> > The self-described experts who run the Doomsday Clock won't change the time
> > under Biden despite a hot war in Europe involving a nuclear power whose
> > leader
> > is increasingly unstable, raising questions about the practices of an
> > institution several legacy media outlets continue to refer to as
> > 'scientific'.
>

> You've already shot yourself in the dick, if you had one I mean. If the
> clock has no credibility to you ignore it. Unless you're just another
> right wing shitbag looking for another reason to whine, which you are. GQP!

The clock is not only about alarm concerning nuclear weapons. Climate
change and the general unwillingness to do much about it seems to be
driving things these days.

The BAS is able to speak for itself.

https://thebulletin.org/doomsday-clock/current-time/

Re: The Politics of the Doomsday Clock

<VoJWJ.168947$SeK9.78605@fx97.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=141350&group=rec.arts.tv#141350

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2022 09:54:45 -0500
 by: moviePig - Fri, 11 Mar 2022 14:54 UTC

On 3/11/2022 12:13 AM, BTR1701 wrote:
> On Mar 10, 2022 at 8:20:15 PM PST, "moviePig" <pwallace@moviepig.com> wrote:
>
>> On 3/10/2022 10:04 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
>>> The self-described experts who run the Doomsday Clock won't change the time
>>> under Biden despite a hot war in Europe involving a nuclear power whose
>>> leader
>>> is increasingly unstable, raising questions about the practices of an
>>> institution several legacy media outlets continue to refer to as
>>> 'scientific'.
>>>
>>> For comparison, the same group moved the minute hand closer to midnight
>>> three
>>> times under Trump because of things such as 'climate change' and Trump using
>>> the term 'fake news'.
>>>
>>> The last time the clock was turned backward was under President Barack Obama
>>> in 2010, with the group celebrating his work on lowering carbon emissions.
>>>
>>> Are we seeing a pattern yet?
>>>

>>> https://freebeacon.com/national-security/doomsday-clock-will-remain-unchanged-under-biden-as-russia-puts-nuclear-arsenal-on-high-alert/
>>>
>>> Created in the aftermath of World War II, the "Doomsday Clock" remains a
>>> fixation by many journalists over its supposed prediction of when humanity
>>> will end. The original founders of the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists
>>> included Albert Einstein and other scientists who worked on the Manhattan
>>> Project. Both the New York Times and the Washington Post track every single
>>> one of its movements and place their coverage in the respective papers'
>>> Science sections, despite the clock not having any basis in the scientific
>>> method whatsoever.
>>
>> Umm, it's not a "supposed prediction", but an *actual* prediction.
>>
>> And, a "basis in the scientific method" would require data from a few
>> actual doomsdays...
>
> Then what is it doing in the Science section and being described by the media
> as 'scientific'?
>
> And do you really think the corporate media would hold it to the same esteem
> if the hands only moved during the reign of Democrat presidents?

I think anyone who pays attention to the Doomsday Clock grasps it's a
metaphor of limited practical significance. (And, with no partisanship
whatsoever, I would've moved it forward when Trump was *nominated* -- as
signaling a sea-change in U.S. voter mentality.)

Re: The Politics of the Doomsday Clock

<atropos-73504B.08540411032022@news.giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=141365&group=rec.arts.tv#141365

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2022 08:54:04 -0800
 by: BTR1701 - Fri, 11 Mar 2022 16:54 UTC

In article <VoJWJ.168947$SeK9.78605@fx97.iad>,
moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com> wrote:

> On 3/11/2022 12:13 AM, BTR1701 wrote:
> > On Mar 10, 2022 at 8:20:15 PM PST, "moviePig" <pwallace@moviepig.com>
> > wrote:

> >> Umm, it's not a "supposed prediction", but an *actual* prediction.
> >>
> >> And, a "basis in the scientific method" would require data from a few
> >> actual doomsdays...
> >
> > Then what is it doing in the Science section and being described by the
> > media as 'scientific'?
> >
> > And do you really think the corporate media would hold it to the same
> > esteem if the hands only moved during the reign of Democrat presidents?
>
> I think anyone who pays attention to the Doomsday Clock grasps it's a
> metaphor of limited practical significance.

Again, if it's merely a metaphor with limited practical significance,
what are the clock's movements reported in the Science section of these
major corporate media newspapers where it is faithfully described as
'scientific'?

> (And, with no partisanship whatsoever, I would've moved it forward when
> Trump was *nominated* -- as signaling a sea-change in U.S. voter mentality.)

LOL! That's gotta be a landmark in Trump Derangement Syndrome.

His mere nomination signals not just a decline in America, but is a
harbinger of doom for the human species itself.

Just wow.

Re: The Politics of the Doomsday Clock

<1784427800.668711373.612447.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=141376&group=rec.arts.tv#141376

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2022 10:27:40 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Fri, 11 Mar 2022 17:27 UTC

BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
> In article <VoJWJ.168947$SeK9.78605@fx97.iad>,
> moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com> wrote:
>
>> On 3/11/2022 12:13 AM, BTR1701 wrote:

>>> Then what is it doing in the Science section and being described by the
>>> media as 'scientific'?
>>>
>>> And do you really think the corporate media would hold it to the same
>>> esteem if the hands only moved during the reign of Democrat presidents?
>>
>> I think anyone who pays attention to the Doomsday Clock grasps it's a
>> metaphor of limited practical significance.
>
> Again, if it's merely a metaphor with limited practical significance,
> what are the clock's movements reported in the Science section of these
> major corporate media newspapers where it is faithfully described as
> 'scientific'?
>
>> (And, with no partisanship whatsoever, I would've moved it forward when
>> Trump was *nominated* -- as signaling a sea-change in U.S. voter mentality.)
>
> LOL! That's gotta be a landmark in Trump Derangement Syndrome.
>
> His mere nomination signals not just a decline in America, but is a
> harbinger of doom for the human species itself.
>
> Just wow.

Movie pig sounds like that’s so raven, swearing on the view to move her
entire family to Canada if a Republican was even nominated to run for
president.

Re: The Politics of the Doomsday Clock

<ItOWJ.124156$oF2.2675@fx10.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=141397&group=rec.arts.tv#141397

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2022 15:41:11 -0500
 by: moviePig - Fri, 11 Mar 2022 20:41 UTC

On 3/11/2022 12:27 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
>> In article <VoJWJ.168947$SeK9.78605@fx97.iad>,
>> moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com> wrote:

>>> I think anyone who pays attention to the Doomsday Clock grasps it's a
>>> metaphor of limited practical significance.
>>
>> Again, if it's merely a metaphor with limited practical significance,
>> what are the clock's movements reported in the Science section of these
>> major corporate media newspapers where it is faithfully described as
>> 'scientific'?
>>
>>> (And, with no partisanship whatsoever, I would've moved it forward when
>>> Trump was *nominated* -- as signaling a sea-change in U.S. voter mentality.)
>>
>> LOL! That's gotta be a landmark in Trump Derangement Syndrome.
>>
>> His mere nomination signals not just a decline in America, but is a
>> harbinger of doom for the human species itself.
>>
>> Just wow.
>>

> Movie pig sounds like that’s so raven, swearing on the view to move her
> entire family to Canada if a Republican was even nominated to run for
> president.

Then you must think I'm "indignant" at Trump's success ...which I'm not.
I'm merely alarmed at what I think it represents, maybe best
represented by Lindsey Graham pre-nomination:

"[Trump is a] race-baiting, xenophobic, religious bigot."

vs. Lindsey Graham post-victory:

"“We have got a president...that I’ve been dreaming of for eight years.”

Democracy depends on the wisdom of the electorate to maintain sanity at
the highest levels of government. Nominating a Trump is proof that
there, too, cult ardor now has the ability to override common-sense.

(You don't like a President Biden? Neither does any thoughtful Liberal,
imo, except as the only way to take the asylum back from the inmates.)

Re: The Politics of the Doomsday Clock

<sAOWJ.112538$7F2.15889@fx12.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=141398&group=rec.arts.tv#141398

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2022 15:48:24 -0500
 by: moviePig - Fri, 11 Mar 2022 20:48 UTC

On 3/11/2022 12:13 AM, BTR1701 wrote:
> On Mar 10, 2022 at 8:20:15 PM PST, "moviePig" <pwallace@moviepig.com> wrote:
>
>> On 3/10/2022 10:04 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
>>> The self-described experts who run the Doomsday Clock won't change the time
>>> under Biden despite a hot war in Europe involving a nuclear power whose
>>> leader
>>> is increasingly unstable, raising questions about the practices of an
>>> institution several legacy media outlets continue to refer to as
>>> 'scientific'.
>>>
>>> For comparison, the same group moved the minute hand closer to midnight
>>> three
>>> times under Trump because of things such as 'climate change' and Trump using
>>> the term 'fake news'.
>>>
>>> The last time the clock was turned backward was under President Barack Obama
>>> in 2010, with the group celebrating his work on lowering carbon emissions.
>>>
>>> Are we seeing a pattern yet?
>>>

>>> https://freebeacon.com/national-security/doomsday-clock-will-remain-unchanged-under-biden-as-russia-puts-nuclear-arsenal-on-high-alert/
>>>
>>> Created in the aftermath of World War II, the "Doomsday Clock" remains a
>>> fixation by many journalists over its supposed prediction of when humanity
>>> will end. The original founders of the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists
>>> included Albert Einstein and other scientists who worked on the Manhattan
>>> Project. Both the New York Times and the Washington Post track every single
>>> one of its movements and place their coverage in the respective papers'
>>> Science sections, despite the clock not having any basis in the scientific
>>> method whatsoever.
>>
>> Umm, it's not a "supposed prediction", but an *actual* prediction.
>>
>> And, a "basis in the scientific method" would require data from a few
>> actual doomsdays...
>
> Then what is it doing in the Science section and being described by the media
> as 'scientific'?
>
> And do you really think the corporate media would hold it to the same esteem
> if the hands only moved during the reign of Democrat presidents?

It's making headlines because people like you -- and now me -- read
them. Hence, this discussion, e.g. Your header sums it up.

(I doubt you can cite real media calling the Clock "scientific". 'Six
Minutes To Midnight' is a movie-title, designed to make pulses pound.)

Re: The Politics of the Doomsday Clock

<110320221558516604%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=141401&group=rec.arts.tv#141401

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2022 15:58:51 -0500
 by: A Friend - Fri, 11 Mar 2022 20:58 UTC

In article <sAOWJ.112538$7F2.15889@fx12.iad>, moviePig
<pwallace@moviepig.com> wrote:

> On 3/11/2022 12:13 AM, BTR1701 wrote:

> > And do you really think the corporate media would hold it to the same esteem
> > if the hands only moved during the reign of Democrat presidents?
>
> It's making headlines because people like you -- and now me -- read
> them. Hence, this discussion, e.g. Your header sums it up.
>
> (I doubt you can cite real media calling the Clock "scientific". 'Six
> Minutes To Midnight' is a movie-title, designed to make pulses pound.)

The Doomsday Clock is street theater. And for Christ's sake, the hands
were moved to one minute to midnight following the 1962 Cuban missile
crisis. Now who was president then, and which party was he from?

Re: The Politics of the Doomsday Clock

<PyPWJ.86513$Y1A7.72207@fx43.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=141408&group=rec.arts.tv#141408

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2022 16:54:55 -0500
 by: moviePig - Fri, 11 Mar 2022 21:54 UTC

On 3/11/2022 4:08 PM, RichA wrote:
> On Friday, 11 March 2022 at 15:58:58 UTC-5, A Friend wrote:
>> In article <sAOWJ.112538$7F2....@fx12.iad>, moviePig
>> <pwal...@moviepig.com> wrote:

>>> It's making headlines because people like you -- and now me -- read
>>> them. Hence, this discussion, e.g. Your header sums it up.
>>>
>>> (I doubt you can cite real media calling the Clock "scientific". 'Six
>>> Minutes To Midnight' is a movie-title, designed to make pulses pound.)
>> The Doomsday Clock is street theater. And for Christ's sake, the hands
>> were moved to one minute to midnight following the 1962 Cuban missile
>> crisis. Now who was president then, and which party was he from?
>
> More than a few of the members of that groups are staunch communists or at least radical socialists.

More than a few of them are bisexual Venusians or ordinary scientists.
I.e., please cite the (free-world) "staunch communists".

Re: The Politics of the Doomsday Clock

<atropos-77A17D.14175211032022@news.giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=141412&group=rec.arts.tv#141412

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2022 14:17:52 -0800
 by: BTR1701 - Fri, 11 Mar 2022 22:17 UTC

In article <110320221558516604%nope@noway.com>,
A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:

> In article <sAOWJ.112538$7F2.15889@fx12.iad>, moviePig
> <pwallace@moviepig.com> wrote:
>
> > On 3/11/2022 12:13 AM, BTR1701 wrote:
>
> > > And do you really think the corporate media would hold it to the
> > > same esteem if the hands only moved during the reign of Democrat
> > > presidents?
> >
> > It's making headlines because people like you -- and now me -- read
> > them. Hence, this discussion, e.g. Your header sums it up.
> >
> > (I doubt you can cite real media calling the Clock "scientific". 'Six
> > Minutes To Midnight' is a movie-title, designed to make pulses pound.)

> The Doomsday Clock is street theater. And for Christ's sake, the hands
> were moved to one minute to midnight following the 1962 Cuban missile
> crisis. Now who was president then, and which party was he from?

He'd certainly not be welcome in the Democrat Party today. He'd be a
moderate Republican if he was around now.

Re: The Politics of the Doomsday Clock

<atropos-B7E590.14192011032022@news.giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=141413&group=rec.arts.tv#141413

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2022 14:19:20 -0800
 by: BTR1701 - Fri, 11 Mar 2022 22:19 UTC

In article <ItOWJ.124156$oF2.2675@fx10.iad>,
moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com> wrote:

> (You don't like a President Biden? Neither does any thoughtful Liberal,
> imo, except as the only way to take the asylum back from the inmates.)

And turning it over to a whole different set of inmates.

Re: The Politics of the Doomsday Clock

<C5QWJ.99475$m1S7.76552@fx36.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=141414&group=rec.arts.tv#141414

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2022 17:32:02 -0500
 by: moviePig - Fri, 11 Mar 2022 22:32 UTC

On 3/11/2022 5:19 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> In article <ItOWJ.124156$oF2.2675@fx10.iad>,
> moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com> wrote:
>
>> (You don't like a President Biden? Neither does any thoughtful Liberal,
>> imo, except as the only way to take the asylum back from the inmates.)
>
> And turning it over to a whole different set of inmates.

Sure, Biden is 80, absent-minded, and over-stretched, but he still is,
on paper anyway, a better bet to keep the government afloat than is a
low-IQ narcissistic cult-leader.

Re: The Politics of the Doomsday Clock

<Q8QWJ.92443$3jp8.68138@fx33.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=141415&group=rec.arts.tv#141415

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2022 17:35:27 -0500
 by: moviePig - Fri, 11 Mar 2022 22:35 UTC

On 3/11/2022 5:17 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> In article <110320221558516604%nope@noway.com>,
> A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:
>
>> In article <sAOWJ.112538$7F2.15889@fx12.iad>, moviePig
>> <pwallace@moviepig.com> wrote:

>>> It's making headlines because people like you -- and now me -- read
>>> them. Hence, this discussion, e.g. Your header sums it up.
>>>
>>> (I doubt you can cite real media calling the Clock "scientific". 'Six
>>> Minutes To Midnight' is a movie-title, designed to make pulses pound.)
>
>> The Doomsday Clock is street theater. And for Christ's sake, the hands
>> were moved to one minute to midnight following the 1962 Cuban missile
>> crisis. Now who was president then, and which party was he from?
>
> He'd certainly not be welcome in the Democrat Party today. He'd be a
> moderate Republican if he was around now.

Young and articulate, he'd be as welcome as Obama was ...and as, e.g.,
Buttigieg would be if he grew some moxie.

Re: The Politics of the Doomsday Clock

<21f3a425-5d83-4e8e-9ed4-a40c92b02501n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=141416&group=rec.arts.tv#141416

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2022 14:42:52 -0800 (PST)
From: chromium...@gmail.com (chromebook test)
 by: chromebook test - Fri, 11 Mar 2022 22:42 UTC

On Friday, March 11, 2022 at 5:35:33 PM UTC-5, moviePig wrote:
> On 3/11/2022 5:17 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> > In article <110320221558516604%no...@noway.com>,
> > A Friend <no...@noway.com> wrote:

> >> The Doomsday Clock is street theater. And for Christ's sake, the hands
> >> were moved to one minute to midnight following the 1962 Cuban missile
> >> crisis. Now who was president then, and which party was he from?

> > He'd certainly not be welcome in the Democrat Party today. He'd be a
> > moderate Republican if he was around now.

> Young and articulate, he'd be as welcome as Obama was ...and as, e.g.,
> Buttigieg would be if he grew some moxie.

Know Jack Kennedy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fkKnfk4k40

Re: The Politics of the Doomsday Clock

<atropos-9F5858.14471611032022@news.giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=141417&group=rec.arts.tv#141417

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
References: <weOdnd1u6_C_Ibf_nZ2dnUU7-Y3NnZ2d@giganews.com> <36AWJ.92418$3jp8.5742@fx33.iad> <9ZWdnchOa7bpR7f_nZ2dnUU7-f-dnZ2d@giganews.com> <VoJWJ.168947$SeK9.78605@fx97.iad> <atropos-73504B.08540411032022@news.giganews.com> <1784427800.668711373.612447.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com> <ItOWJ.124156$oF2.2675@fx10.iad> <atropos-B7E590.14192011032022@news.giganews.com> <C5QWJ.99475$m1S7.76552@fx36.iad>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2022 14:47:16 -0800
 by: BTR1701 - Fri, 11 Mar 2022 22:47 UTC

In article <C5QWJ.99475$m1S7.76552@fx36.iad>,
moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com> wrote:

> On 3/11/2022 5:19 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> > In article <ItOWJ.124156$oF2.2675@fx10.iad>,
> > moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com> wrote:
> >
> >> (You don't like a President Biden? Neither does any thoughtful Liberal,
> >> imo, except as the only way to take the asylum back from the inmates.)
> >
> > And turning it over to a whole different set of inmates.
>
> Sure, Biden is 80, absent-minded, and over-stretched, but he still is,
> on paper anyway, a better bet to keep the government afloat than is a
> low-IQ narcissistic cult-leader.

The fact that he's 80, absent-minded, and over-stretched and exhibiting
all the signs of dementia gives opportunity for radicals in his party to
really run the show behind the scenes.

The fact that he supposedly now supports positions on a whole gamut of
issues-- from the economic to the social to the cultural-- that he never
endorsed in his five decades in the Senate indicates it's not really him
calling the shots.

Re: The Politics of the Doomsday Clock

<atropos-889AD8.14500211032022@news.giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=141418&group=rec.arts.tv#141418

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2022 14:50:02 -0800
 by: BTR1701 - Fri, 11 Mar 2022 22:50 UTC

In article <Q8QWJ.92443$3jp8.68138@fx33.iad>,
moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com> wrote:

> On 3/11/2022 5:17 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> > In article <110320221558516604%nope@noway.com>,
> > A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:

> >> The Doomsday Clock is street theater. And for Christ's sake, the hands
> >> were moved to one minute to midnight following the 1962 Cuban missile
> >> crisis. Now who was president then, and which party was he from?
> >
> > He'd certainly not be welcome in the Democrat Party today. He'd be a
> > moderate Republican if he was around now.
>
> Young and articulate, he'd be as welcome as Obama was ...and as, e.g.,
> Buttigieg would be if he grew some moxie.

He could be as young and articulate as can be but if he didn't tow the
line on all the radical leftist dogma that's currently oozing out of the
Democrat Party, he'd be just another Joe Manchin-- a Democrat in name
only, hated within his own party.

Re: The Politics of the Doomsday Clock

<oEQWJ.74852$yi_7.19268@fx39.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=141419&group=rec.arts.tv#141419

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2022 18:09:07 -0500
 by: moviePig - Fri, 11 Mar 2022 23:09 UTC

On 3/11/2022 5:47 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> In article <C5QWJ.99475$m1S7.76552@fx36.iad>,
> moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com> wrote:
>
>> On 3/11/2022 5:19 PM, BTR1701 wrote:

>>> And turning it over to a whole different set of inmates.
>>
>> Sure, Biden is 80, absent-minded, and over-stretched, but he still is,
>> on paper anyway, a better bet to keep the government afloat than is a
>> low-IQ narcissistic cult-leader.
>
> The fact that he's 80, absent-minded, and over-stretched and exhibiting
> all the signs of dementia gives opportunity for radicals in his party to
> really run the show behind the scenes.
>
> The fact that he supposedly now supports positions on a whole gamut of
> issues-- from the economic to the social to the cultural-- that he never
> endorsed in his five decades in the Senate indicates it's not really him
> calling the shots.

I can't peer behind that curtain any better than you can, but I'd guess
that Biden's calling *some* of the shots ...and for the ones he isn't,
he has a say in who is. Trump, in comparison, *was* calling them all,
believing himself to be even wiser than Jared.

Re: The Politics of the Doomsday Clock

<WPQWJ.126749$oF2.80504@fx10.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=141422&group=rec.arts.tv#141422

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2022 18:21:25 -0500
 by: moviePig - Fri, 11 Mar 2022 23:21 UTC

On 3/11/2022 5:50 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> In article <Q8QWJ.92443$3jp8.68138@fx33.iad>,
> moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com> wrote:
>
>> On 3/11/2022 5:17 PM, BTR1701 wrote:

>>> He'd certainly not be welcome in the Democrat Party today. He'd be a
>>> moderate Republican if he was around now.
>>
>> Young and articulate, he'd be as welcome as Obama was ...and as, e.g.,
>> Buttigieg would be if he grew some moxie.
>
> He could be as young and articulate as can be but if he didn't tow the
> line on all the radical leftist dogma that's currently oozing out of the
> Democrat Party, he'd be just another Joe Manchin-- a Democrat in name
> only, hated within his own party.

He doesn't have to inspire the party hacks, but rather the rank-and-file
to whom modern communication technology gives him direct access. Then,
the hacks would pirouette like Lindsey Graham had choreographed them...

Re: The Politics of the Doomsday Clock

<110320222232021427%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=141432&group=rec.arts.tv#141432

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2022 22:32:02 -0500
 by: A Friend - Sat, 12 Mar 2022 03:32 UTC

In article <atropos-77A17D.14175211032022@news.giganews.com>, BTR1701
<atropos@mac.com> wrote:

> In article <110320221558516604%nope@noway.com>,
> A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:
>
> > In article <sAOWJ.112538$7F2.15889@fx12.iad>, moviePig
> > <pwallace@moviepig.com> wrote:

> > > It's making headlines because people like you -- and now me -- read
> > > them. Hence, this discussion, e.g. Your header sums it up.
> > >
> > > (I doubt you can cite real media calling the Clock "scientific". 'Six
> > > Minutes To Midnight' is a movie-title, designed to make pulses pound.)
>
> > The Doomsday Clock is street theater. And for Christ's sake, the hands
> > were moved to one minute to midnight following the 1962 Cuban missile
> > crisis. Now who was president then, and which party was he from?
>
> He'd certainly not be welcome in the Democrat Party today. He'd be a
> moderate Republican if he was around now.

That's another evasive non-answer. We're talking about early 1963,
when the hands were moved much closer to midnight, and a Democrat whose
name you can't seem to remember was president. You implied that the
hands aren't moved when Democrats are president. That's bullshit. In
fact, they were at their closest to midnight in 1953, as the Truman
administration was ending. The furthest from midnight was in 1991,
while the first Bush was president.

Climate change wasn't included until 2007, which skews results from
then and the years following.

Summary and a helpful graphic here:

https://physicsworld.com/a/doomsday-clock-ticks-closer-to-disaster/

Re: The Politics of the Doomsday Clock

<3YWdnUvW9L7ZhbH_nZ2dnUU7-K2dnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=141436&group=rec.arts.tv#141436

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2022 21:49:24 -0600
 by: BTR1701 - Sat, 12 Mar 2022 03:49 UTC

On Mar 11, 2022 at 7:32:02 PM PST, "A Friend" <nope@noway.com> wrote:

> In article <atropos-77A17D.14175211032022@news.giganews.com>, BTR1701
> <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
>
>> In article <110320221558516604%nope@noway.com>,
>> A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:

>> > The Doomsday Clock is street theater. And for Christ's sake, the hands
>> > were moved to one minute to midnight following the 1962 Cuban missile
>> > crisis. Now who was president then, and which party was he from?
>>
>> He'd certainly not be welcome in the Democrat Party today. He'd be a
>> moderate Republican if he was around now.
>>
> That's another evasive non-answer.

No, it was acknowledgement of his party affiliation and a comment on how that
party has radically changed since the 1960s.

Re: The Politics of the Doomsday Clock

<110320222259129284%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=141443&group=rec.arts.tv#141443

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2022 22:59:12 -0500
 by: A Friend - Sat, 12 Mar 2022 03:59 UTC

In article <034017b2-b3db-478e-8785-ff78e878ea22n@googlegroups.com>,
RichA <rander3128@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Friday, 11 March 2022 at 15:58:58 UTC-5, A Friend wrote:
> > In article <sAOWJ.112538$7F2....@fx12.iad>, moviePig
> > <pwal...@moviepig.com> wrote:

> > > It's making headlines because people like you -- and now me -- read
> > > them. Hence, this discussion, e.g. Your header sums it up.
> > >
> > > (I doubt you can cite real media calling the Clock "scientific". 'Six
> > > Minutes To Midnight' is a movie-title, designed to make pulses pound.)
> > The Doomsday Clock is street theater. And for Christ's sake, the hands
> > were moved to one minute to midnight following the 1962 Cuban missile
> > crisis. Now who was president then, and which party was he from?
>
> More than a few of the members of that groups are staunch communists
> or at least radical socialists.

Can't answer the question, then?