Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2022 04:44:12 -0500
Subject: Re: CNN BURIES ethnicity of New York subway shooter
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
 by: trotsky - Thu, 14 Apr 2022 09:44 UTC

On 4/13/2022 9:11 PM, A Friend wrote:
> In article <j_udncTFBrSWzsr_nZ2dnUU7-TOdnZ2d@giganews.com>, BTR1701
> <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
>
>> On Apr 13, 2022 at 3:12:32 PM PDT, "A Friend" <nope@noway.com> wrote:

>>> I have no idea and neither do you. This recent subway shooting was an
>>> example of broadcast news covering something live. The anchor called
>>> the accused subway shooter a "gentleman" in passing because that word
>>> is never actionable.
>>
>> They never seem to worry about action when describing suspects as white, even
>> as white supremacists (Loughner) with no evidence whatsoever to back it up.
>

> It's fair to describe a suspect as white if it matters to the story, or
> if the suspect is at large. It bothers me when they don't, even as
> they routinely describe other suspects as black or Hispanic. Tell you
> the truth, I haven't seen much of that in recent decades.
>
> I remember an incident at Channel 2 in New York many years ago. They
> led the 11 with a story about a guy walking around the Bellevue
> Hospital area slashing people on First Avenue. It was going on even as
> they were reporting it. They gave his height, weight, clothing, etc.,
> but they never described him as black, even though the public was being
> asked to look out for him and call the cops if they saw him. Good God,
> how stupid.
>

>>> BTW Dylann Roof (note sp) was convicted and sentenced to death for
>>> killing nine defenseless people. If you want him to serve as your
>>> counter-example, fine.
>>
>> Counter-example of what?
>

> The use of the word "gentleman" to describe a suspect. Again, no one
> is ever going to be able to sue you successfully (and distract people
> from your trial for multiple murder) for calling him a "gentleman."
> Me, I would just use "man."

People are just as dead or injured regardless of the color of the perp.
Also people are just as dead if they just die, like "Gilbert
Gottfriend" (probably friends with "Tim Apple") and we don't need to
know the cause of death. Morbid assholes like "RichA" want to know this
stuff, but those are people warped beyond repair. How and what
information is conveyed evolves, and I think we have reached the point
where the race or religion of a suspect is unnecessary. I'm sure we'll
still hear when people are Muslim of course, perhaps because they're
slightly more active than the white supremacists.