I THINK MAN INVENTED THE CAR by instinct. -- Jack Handey, The New Mexican, 1988.

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: Sean Penn missed one important thing about the Ukraine

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Sean Penn missed one important thing about the Ukrainetrotsky
+- Re: Sean Penn missed one important thing about the UkraineRhino
+* Re: Sean Penn missed one important thing about the UkraineRhino
|`- Re: Sean Penn missed one important thing about the Ukrainesuzeeq
`- Re: Sean Penn missed one important thing about the UkraineRhino

1
Re: Sean Penn missed one important thing about the Ukraine

<16e6edfb571deb0c$3$413440$8d54264@news.newsdemon.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=141991&group=rec.arts.tv#141991

Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 02:46:16 -0500
Subject: Re: Sean Penn missed one important thing about the Ukraine
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
 by: trotsky - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 07:46 UTC

On 4/17/2022 5:56 PM, RichA wrote:
> 1. Unity is borne out of urgent need.
> 2. It's easier when all the people are the SAME race.
>
> https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/06/entertainment/sean-penn-tv-ukraine/?hpt=ob_blogfooterold

The name of the country is "Ukraine." Are you too stupid to get this?

Re: Sean Penn missed one important thing about the Ukraine

<t3l24d$j0f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=142018&group=rec.arts.tv#142018

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 21:09:30 -0400
 by: Rhino - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 01:09 UTC

On 2022-04-18 10:32 AM, A Friend wrote:
> In article <16e6edfb571deb0c$3$413440$8d54264@news.newsdemon.com>,
> trotsky <gmsingh@email.com> wrote:
>
>> On 4/17/2022 5:56 PM, RichA wrote:
>>> 1. Unity is borne out of urgent need.
>>> 2. It's easier when all the people are the SAME race.
>>>

>>> https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/06/entertainment/sean-penn-tv-ukraine/?hpt=ob_bl
>>> ogfooterold
>>>

>> The name of the country is "Ukraine." Are you too stupid to get this?
>

> It might be on purpose. At least some people who refer to it as "the
> Ukraine" do so because it supports the idea that it's actually Russian
> territory.

Where on earth do you get THAT notion? Just about everyone in Canada
referred to it as "the Ukraine" for my entire life up until a decade or
so ago. I don't know where the "the" originated but I suspect it may
have come from the Brits; I still remember a Brit saying "the Lebanon",
which was completely unfamiliar to me, and wondering if Brits typically
put "the" in front of any other countries. (For what it's worth, I've
also heard Lebanon referred to as "the Levant". Again, I'm not sure how
the "the" came into it.)

--
Rhino

Re: Sean Penn missed one important thing about the Ukraine

<t60hqn$2r4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=142553&group=rec.arts.tv#142553

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 12:17:26 -0400
 by: Rhino - Tue, 17 May 2022 16:17 UTC

On 2022-05-02 9:17 PM, Micky DuPree wrote:
> The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca> writes:
>
>> On Mon, 18 Apr 2022 10:32:37 -0400, A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:

>>> It might be on purpose. At least some people who refer to it as "the
>>> Ukraine" do so because it supports the idea that it's actually
>>> Russian territory.
>>
>> The official name of the UK is "The United Kingdom of Great Britain
>> and Northern Ireland" - who do they belong to?
>
> The old Soviet expression that they translated as "the Ukraine" is not a
> literal word-for-word translation. For one thing, the Russian language
> doesn't have definite or indefinite articles. But phrasing the
> translation that way does reflect the sense of a region rather than a
> nation to them, which is presumably the reason why the Ukrainians
> themselves reject that translation.

Now do "The Lebanon". Yes, I heard a retired British army general refer
to it that way in a speech at a seminar I intended.

--
Rhino

Re: Sean Penn missed one important thing about the Ukraine

<t60i9m$7j6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=142555&group=rec.arts.tv#142555

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 12:25:24 -0400
 by: Rhino - Tue, 17 May 2022 16:25 UTC

On 2022-04-18 9:01 PM, super70s wrote:
> In article <180420221032378608%nope@noway.com>,
> A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:
>
>> In article <16e6edfb571deb0c$3$413440$8d54264@news.newsdemon.com>,
>> trotsky <gmsingh@email.com> wrote:

>>> The name of the country is "Ukraine." Are you too stupid to get this?
>>

>> It might be on purpose. At least some people who refer to it as "the
>> Ukraine" do so because it supports the idea that it's actually Russian
>> territory.
>
> Maybe it was just weird like that, like The Hague.
>
> Not surprisingly there's even been a web article written about this:
> https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2009/10/why-do-we-use-definite-articl
> es-for-some-place-names-like-the-hague.html

Clearly, there ARE no hard and fast rules about any of the use of
definite articles with place names, just tendencies and exceptions....

--
Rhino

Re: Sean Penn missed one important thing about the Ukraine

<t60s0i$ncu4$2@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=142558&group=rec.arts.tv#142558

From: suz...@imbris.com (suzeeq)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 12:11:13 -0700
 by: suzeeq - Tue, 17 May 2022 19:11 UTC

On 5/17/2022 10:06 AM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
> Rhino <no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:

>>> The old Soviet expression that they translated as "the Ukraine" is not a
>>> literal word-for-word translation. For one thing, the Russian language
>>> doesn't have definite or indefinite articles. But phrasing the
>>> translation that way does reflect the sense of a region rather than a
>>> nation to them, which is presumably the reason why the Ukrainians
>>> themselves reject that translation.
>
>> Now do "The Lebanon". Yes, I heard a retired British army general refer
>> to it that way in a speech at a seminar I intended.
>
> Man, those Russians have utterly corrupted the English language! I had
> no idea they had claimed Lebanon as well?

Yeah, while they were helping the Syrians.