From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-04-18 (Monday)
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 14:39:41 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 21:39 UTC

On 4/19/2022 6:00 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> On 2022-04-19 08:30:41 +0000, Ubiquitous said:
>
>> What did you watch?
>
> Back home, so just trying to catch up on recorded stuff...:

This reminds me, I'm going on vacation next month. My DVR is
overflowing. I really need to set aside some time and start to clear it.

> soaps: DOOL - Fri's & Mon's ep's. Too much of this was taken up with Leo
> Stark drama, which I don't care about... Gabi brings the recording to
> Rafe, who arrests Ava. Ava calls RedAbby in to reveal that Gwen was the
> one who knocked Abby out before she was kidnapped. Gabi unwisely reveals
> the details of how Ava got pinched to Gwen, who tries to sneak into the
> cop shop to see Ava but is discovered by RedAbby. (Is RedAbby preggers
> again?! I noticed she was back to wearing baggy coats, and they were
> back to mostly filming her "delicately" again...)
>   GH - Fri's ep. Finn calls Chase over to lil' Lizzie's to protect her
> from the stalker. Carly warns Alexis about Nina. Schmlotz(sp?) the
> scuzzy reporter questions Michael and Willow about Nina, and then
> ambushes Nina at Alexis'. Nina then confronts Willow for being a massive
> hypocrite. Harmony confronts Neil's EVOL! brother, intending to murder
> him by injection, but she bungles that, and there's a struggle, and
> instead she murders him by pushing him off a cliff!!

I watched:

Doctor Who - "Legend of the Sea Devils" - I have no idea what was going
on. Not because it was background noise or I wasn't paying attention.
The whole thing was just an incoherent mess!

Something I noticed when they showed the preview for the next episode
which brings back two original companions, is I have no idea who the
current two companions are or what their backstory is. At the start of
this episode the previous episode was wrapping up and had two totally
different companions. Since I had no idea which companion this Doctor
is traveling with I thought it might have been the end of this episode
so I fast forwarded to avoid spoilers. I never had this issue with the
previous Doctors and their companions. The next episode features Ace
and Tegan. From memory, I know Ace traveled with the 7th Doctor, he met
her at a bar(?) on an alien planet. I forget how she got there. But I
know she was a bit of a weapons expert. Past doctors always had a human
who was handy with a gun, knife, or something deadly, so while the
doctor could be giving a speech about nonviolence, his human companion
could be slitting someone's throat on his behalf. Don't act surprised.
You *know* that's how classic Who worked! Anyway the other former
companion is Tegan. From memory, I know she joined the 4th Doctor in
his last episode, but traveled with the 5th. She was an airline
stewardess. And I think she left the show for a while then came back.
The two current companions, I have *no* idea their names, occupations,
although I think the female was a cop, or why they are traveling with
the Doctor. The same was true of the previous companions as well.

9-1-1 - "Dumb Luck" - Team 9-1-1 vs. bad luck. But isn't that true of
every episode? If people were having good luck, they wouldn't need to
call 9-1-1.

Better Call Saul - "Wine and Roses" - It has been two *years* since the
last episode. I have no idea what's going on in the show anymore! The
brief recap they gave was pathetic. Anyway Saul and his new bride plot
to destroy a man because they can. Meanwhile in a completely different
TV show that barely has anything to do with this one, The Mexican
cartels are at war with each other.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-04-18 (Monday)

<t3neh8$14sk0$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=142041&group=rec.arts.tv#142041

From: suz...@imbris.com (suzeeq)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 15:53:28 -0700
 by: suzeeq - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 22:53 UTC

On 4/19/2022 2:39 PM, Arthur Lipscomb wrote:
> On 4/19/2022 6:00 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
>> On 2022-04-19 08:30:41 +0000, Ubiquitous said:
>>
>>> What did you watch?
>>
>> Back home, so just trying to catch up on recorded stuff...:
>>

> This reminds me, I'm going on vacation next month.  My DVR is
> overflowing.  I really need to set aside some time and start to clear it.
>
>> soaps: DOOL - Fri's & Mon's ep's. Too much of this was taken up with
>> Leo Stark drama, which I don't care about... Gabi brings the recording
>> to Rafe, who arrests Ava. Ava calls RedAbby in to reveal that Gwen was
>> the one who knocked Abby out before she was kidnapped. Gabi unwisely
>> reveals the details of how Ava got pinched to Gwen, who tries to sneak
>> into the cop shop to see Ava but is discovered by RedAbby. (Is RedAbby
>> preggers again?! I noticed she was back to wearing baggy coats, and
>> they were back to mostly filming her "delicately" again...)
>>    GH - Fri's ep. Finn calls Chase over to lil' Lizzie's to protect
>> her from the stalker. Carly warns Alexis about Nina. Schmlotz(sp?) the
>> scuzzy reporter questions Michael and Willow about Nina, and then
>> ambushes Nina at Alexis'. Nina then confronts Willow for being a
>> massive hypocrite. Harmony confronts Neil's EVOL! brother, intending
>> to murder him by injection, but she bungles that, and there's a
>> struggle, and instead she murders him by pushing him off a cliff!!
>

> I watched:
>

> Doctor Who - "Legend of the Sea Devils" - I have no idea what was going
> on.  Not because it was background noise or I wasn't paying attention.
> The whole thing was just an incoherent mess!
>
> Something I noticed when they showed the preview for the next episode
> which brings back two original companions, is I have no idea who the
> current two companions are or what their backstory is.  At the start of

Yas has been with this DR since her incarnation, Dan was a soldier or
something from the last couple episodes of the regular season and the
New Year's special.

> this episode the previous episode was wrapping up and had two totally
> different companions.  Since I had no idea which companion this Doctor
> is traveling with I thought it might have been the end of this episode
> so I fast forwarded to avoid spoilers.  I never had this issue with the
> previous Doctors and their companions.  The next episode features Ace
> and Tegan.  From memory, I know Ace traveled with the 7th Doctor, he met
> her at a bar(?) on an alien planet.  I forget how she got there.  But I
> know she was a bit of a weapons expert.  Past doctors always had a human
> who was handy with a gun, knife, or something deadly, so while the
> doctor could be giving a speech about nonviolence, his human companion
> could be slitting someone's throat on his behalf.  Don't act surprised.
>  You *know* that's how classic Who worked!  Anyway the other former
> companion is Tegan.  From memory, I know she joined the 4th Doctor in
> his last episode, but traveled with the 5th.  She was an airline
> stewardess.  And I think she left the show for a while then came back.
> The two current companions, I have *no* idea their names, occupations,
> although I think the female was a cop, or why they are traveling with
> the Doctor.  The same was true of the previous companions as well.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-04-18 (Monday)

<t4rkj6$hf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=142321&group=rec.arts.tv#142321

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 09:17:39 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Tue, 3 May 2022 16:17 UTC

On 5/3/2022 4:12 AM, Micky DuPree wrote:
> Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> writes:
>
>> Better Call Saul - "Wine and Roses" - It has been two *years* since
>> the last episode. I have no idea what's going on in the show
>> anymore! The brief recap they gave was pathetic. Anyway Saul and his
>> new bride plot to destroy a man because they can.
>
> Isn't messing with him (is this Howard? I forget) at least part of a
> master strategy to win one or more lawsuits, one of which having to do
> with that client who was getting run off his property by EvilCorp LTD?
> Jimmy and Kim are way over the line, but I don't think they're so
> sociopathic as to fuck with somebody just for the hell of it. They both
> have bad history with him, though (if memory serves), so that makes it
> easier for them to put him in the crosshairs.

I could be mistaken, but as far as I can tell they are just being
sociopaths. I think there *might* be some barely tangental lawsuit they
referenced as part of a justification. But even if that were the case,
and I'm not sure it is, destroying him *personally* doesn't tank the
case since it's huge law firm with teams of lawyers ready to step in and
replace him.

>> Meanwhile in a completely different TV show that barely has anything
>> to do with this one, The Mexican cartels are at war with each other.
>
> Ah, Jimmy has touched so many lives. I still haven't sorted out all the
> drug people in my head, but I'm enjoying Nacho's run. So there's this
> big cartel -- is that the Salamancas? -- and Gus is trying to challenge
> them and take over, and he's using Nacho as a pawn and Mike as an
> uncomfortable paid enforcer? Does that make sense?
>
> I'm going to miss this series when it's gone.
>
> -Micky

I wonder if it might be worth revisiting Breaking Bad when all is said
and done.