If you fail to plan, plan to fail.

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: USPS limits, was: Judge vacates CDC mask ...

SubjectAuthor
* Re: USPS limits, was: Judge vacates CDC mask ...moviePig
+* Re: USPS limits, was: Judge vacates CDC mask ...trotsky
|`- Re: USPS limits, was: Judge vacates CDC mask ...moviePig
+- Re: AP stylebook, was: USPS limits, was: Judge vacates CDC mask ...moviePig
+- Re: USPS limits, was: Judge vacates CDC mask ...suzeeq
`* Re: USPS limits, was: Judge vacates CDC mask ...moviePig
 `* Re: USPS limits, was: Judge vacates CDC mask ...moviePig
  `- Re: USPS limits, was: Judge vacates CDC mask ...moviePig

1
Re: USPS limits, was: Judge vacates CDC mask ...

<fyl7K.361665$Gojc.37634@fx99.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=142013&group=rec.arts.tv#142013

Subject: Re: USPS limits, was: Judge vacates CDC mask ...
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 18:24:09 -0400
 by: moviePig - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 22:24 UTC

On 4/18/2022 6:11 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> In article <t3kliq$9fo$1@reader1.panix.com>,
> danny burstein <dannyb@panix.com> wrote:
>
>> In <t3kjsj$63l$1@dont-email.me> "Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com> writes:
>>
>> [snip]

>>> I thought the concern was about package bombs sent by the Unibomber. Also,
>>> the post office cancelled same-day airport-to-airport express mail as one
>>> could likely identify the specific flight the mail would be transported on.
>>
>> Common misconception due to the proximity of the events (well,
>> of some of the Unabomer [1] letters). Although damn if
>> I can find documentation confirming my memory, so who knows?

>>> If postage is paid with stamps, a parcel that weighs more than 13 ounces
>>> must be handed to a mail handler or clerk at a post office or to one's
>>> carrier. It cannot be mailed from a street collection box. The old package
>>> slots in post office lobbies were sealed. This went into effect July 30,
>>> 2007.
>>
>> The overweight, so to speak, packages can be dropped off pseudonomously
>> if they've got a meter strip or other tracking. So yes, if you've
>> printed out a Priority Mail label via USPS "Click and SHip"
>> or a Pitney Bowes, etc., meter, then you can drop it into
>> a street box.
>>
>> (That is, if you can find one that's got a full sized opening.
>> In NYC and way, way, too many other areas, theyve been retrofitted
>> so only have a slot large enough for a #10 envelope and do NOT
>> even accept a flat rate Priority Mail flat.).
>>
>> [1] Not a typo. The original FBI designation only
>> had the single "b" in it. I refuse to go along
>> with the revisionists. And it's "e-mail" _with_
>> the hyphen.
>
> And 'internet' is not capitalized any more than 'car' or 'building' is
> capitalized.

'Update: In 2016, Associated Press editors decided to reverse a
long-standing tradition of capitalizing the word Internet. Since 2016,
the AP stylebook now recommends lowercasing “internet” and “web.”'

Re: USPS limits, was: Judge vacates CDC mask ...

<16e71e1247da7cad$8$1164557$c6d58c68@news.newsdemon.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=142014&group=rec.arts.tv#142014

Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 17:27:17 -0500
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
 by: trotsky - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 22:27 UTC

On 4/18/2022 5:24 PM, moviePig wrote:
> On 4/18/2022 6:11 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
>> In article <t3kliq$9fo$1@reader1.panix.com>,
>>   danny burstein <dannyb@panix.com> wrote:
>>
>>> In <t3kjsj$63l$1@dont-email.me> "Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com>
>>> writes:
>>>
>>> [snip]

>>> Common misconception due to the proximity of the events (well,
>>> of some of the Unabomer [1] letters).  Although damn if
>>> I can find documentation confirming my memory, so who knows?

>>> The overweight, so to speak, packages can be dropped off pseudonomously
>>> if they've got a meter strip or other tracking.  So yes, if you've
>>> printed out a Priority Mail label via USPS "Click and SHip"
>>> or a Pitney Bowes, etc., meter, then you can drop it into
>>> a street box.
>>>
>>> (That is, if you can find one that's got a full sized opening.
>>> In NYC and way, way, too many other areas, theyve been retrofitted
>>> so only have a slot large enough for a #10 envelope and do NOT
>>> even accept a flat rate Priority Mail flat.).
>>>
>>> [1] Not a typo.  The original FBI designation only
>>> had the single "b" in it.  I refuse to go along
>>> with the revisionists.  And it's "e-mail" _with_
>>> the hyphen.
>>
>> And 'internet' is not capitalized any more than 'car' or 'building' is
>> capitalized.
>
> 'Update: In 2016, Associated Press editors decided to reverse a
> long-standing tradition of capitalizing the word Internet. Since 2016,
> the AP stylebook now recommends lowercasing “internet” and “web.”'

Holy fuck, is Derp ever factually correct about anything? And he'll try
and weasel out saying "see, it's not capitalized now!" which would
instantly render his comparison to "car" or "building" a bunch of horseshit.

Re: USPS limits, was: Judge vacates CDC mask ...

<A5m7K.87871$Kdf.70366@fx96.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=142016&group=rec.arts.tv#142016

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 19:01:50 -0400
 by: moviePig - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 23:01 UTC

On 4/18/2022 6:27 PM, trotsky wrote:
> On 4/18/2022 5:24 PM, moviePig wrote:
>> On 4/18/2022 6:11 PM, BTR1701 wrote:

>>> And 'internet' is not capitalized any more than 'car' or 'building' is
>>> capitalized.
>>
>> 'Update: In 2016, Associated Press editors decided to reverse a
>> long-standing tradition of capitalizing the word Internet. Since 2016,
>> the AP stylebook now recommends lowercasing “internet” and “web.”'
>

> Holy fuck, is Derp ever factually correct about anything?  And he'll try
> and weasel out saying "see, it's not capitalized now!" which would
> instantly render his comparison to "car" or "building" a bunch of
> horseshit.

Actually, in this instance he's right ...at least according to the AP.
The only point of interest might be that it's relatively recent.

Re: AP stylebook, was: USPS limits, was: Judge vacates CDC mask ...

<t7m7K.87872$Kdf.12671@fx96.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=142017&group=rec.arts.tv#142017

Subject: Re: AP stylebook, was: USPS limits, was: Judge vacates CDC mask ...
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 19:03:52 -0400
 by: moviePig - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 23:03 UTC

On 4/18/2022 6:27 PM, danny burstein wrote:
> In <fyl7K.361665$Gojc.37634@fx99.iad> moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com> writes:
>
> [snip]
>>>
>>> And 'internet' is not capitalized any more than 'car' or 'building' is
>>> capitalized.
>
>> 'Update: In 2016, Associated Press editors decided to reverse a
>> long-standing tradition of capitalizing the word Internet. Since 2016,
>> the AP stylebook now recommends lowercasing "internet" and "web."'
>
> They're the same revisionists that want single spacing
> after periods and elimination of the "serial comma".
>
> Oh, and putting "end quote marks" after a period.
>
> Nope. No way.

I agree, that's dumb. And you can quote me.

Re: USPS limits, was: Judge vacates CDC mask ...

<t3q9r5$16k1c$2@solani.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=142059&group=rec.arts.tv#142059

From: suz...@imbris.com (suzeeq)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 17:51:49 -0700
 by: suzeeq - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 00:51 UTC

On 4/20/2022 1:08 PM, The Horny Goat wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Apr 2022 08:26:46 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
> wrote:
>
>>> Speaking of wrong spellings, I noticed "black", when it refers to race, is
>>> now sppsd to be capitalized. Oddly enough (or not), "white" is never
>>> capitalized.
>>
>> Yeah, AP defended that policy and lost every last shred of credibility when
>> they did.
>
> It should either be White / Black or white / black - and as some
> consider White a "supremacist" usage I prefer both lower.
>
> No question capitalizing one without the other >IS< racist and
> shouldn't be used by decent people which I expect everybody here
> actually is.

You can say that after reading this group every day?!

Re: USPS limits, was: Judge vacates CDC mask ...

<fb38K.88291$Kdf.13985@fx96.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=142062&group=rec.arts.tv#142062

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 22:19:54 -0400
 by: moviePig - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 02:19 UTC

On 4/20/2022 4:08 PM, The Horny Goat wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Apr 2022 08:26:46 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
> wrote:
>
>>> Speaking of wrong spellings, I noticed "black", when it refers to race, is
>>> now sppsd to be capitalized. Oddly enough (or not), "white" is never
>>> capitalized.
>>
>> Yeah, AP defended that policy and lost every last shred of credibility when
>> they did.
>
> It should either be White / Black or white / black - and as some
> consider White a "supremacist" usage I prefer both lower.
>
> No question capitalizing one without the other >IS< racist and
> shouldn't be used by decent people which I expect everybody here
> actually is.

Interestingly, while capitalizing one without the other would surely be
indecently racist, so would capitalizing the other without one...

Re: USPS limits, was: Judge vacates CDC mask ...

<Edk8K.88742$Kdf.55254@fx96.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=142084&group=rec.arts.tv#142084

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 17:43:00 -0400
 by: moviePig - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 21:43 UTC

On 4/21/2022 4:04 PM, The Horny Goat wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Apr 2022 22:19:54 -0400, moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 4/20/2022 4:08 PM, The Horny Goat wrote:

>>> It should either be White / Black or white / black - and as some
>>> consider White a "supremacist" usage I prefer both lower.
>>>
>>> No question capitalizing one without the other >IS< racist and
>>> shouldn't be used by decent people which I expect everybody here
>>> actually is.
>>
>> Interestingly, while capitalizing one without the other would surely be
>> indecently racist, so would capitalizing the other without one...
>
> Not sure what you mean - using Black / white is every bit as egregious
> as White / black.
>
> If this really has to be explained then the listener has just flunked
> Equity 101

Yes, I think you understood me exactly. The offense seems to be not in
the capitalization (or lower-casing), but in any disparity whatsoever
....even if it's merely from an old style-sheet.

It reminds me of feminists torpedoing the use of the masculine pronoun
as the neuter one ...as though it were the cause of much discrimination
against women. I.e., had the feminine pronoun been the neuter, I think
the indictment would've been exactly the same (and exactly as baseless).

Re: USPS limits, was: Judge vacates CDC mask ...

<_qo8K.606651$7F2.535703@fx12.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=142090&group=rec.arts.tv#142090

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 22:30:18 -0400
 by: moviePig - Fri, 22 Apr 2022 02:30 UTC

On 4/21/2022 6:17 PM, A Friend wrote:
> In article <Edk8K.88742$Kdf.55254@fx96.iad>, moviePig
> <pwallace@moviepig.com> wrote:
>
>> It reminds me of feminists torpedoing the use of the masculine pronoun
>> as the neuter one ...as though it were the cause of much discrimination
>> against women. I.e., had the feminine pronoun been the neuter, I think
>> the indictment would've been exactly the same (and exactly as baseless).
>

> That's pretty far back in the day now, but I saw the point at the time.
> Someone or other trotted out manufactured pronouns like "ve," but of
> course they never caught on. Using the plural as the singular largely
> solved the problem. We were all pretty much doing that anyway.
>
> "The department manager called."
>
> "What did they want?"

Frankly, I've pretty much always done "they", too. But I've also always
heard/imagined a certain finesse in, e.g., "to each his own", rather
than "to each their own" or (God help us) "to each her or his own"...