Put your trust in those who are worthy.

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: Musk Makes Offer to Buy Twitter / Blue-Check Celebrities Freaking Out

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Musk Makes Offer to Buy Twitter / Blue-Check Celebrities FreakingmoviePig
`* Re: Musk Makes Offer to Buy Twitter / Blue-Check Celebrities FreakingmoviePig
 +- Re: Musk Makes Offer to Buy Twitter / Blue-Check Celebrities FreakingmoviePig
 `* Re: Musk Makes Offer to Buy Twitter / Blue-Check Celebrities FreakingmoviePig
  `* Re: Musk Makes Offer to Buy Twitter / Blue-Check Celebrities FreakingmoviePig
   `* Re: Musk Makes Offer to Buy Twitter / Blue-Check Celebrities FreakingmoviePig
    `* Re: Musk Makes Offer to Buy Twitter / Blue-Check Celebrities FreakingmoviePig
     `* Re: Musk Makes Offer to Buy Twitter / Blue-Check Celebrities FreakingmoviePig
      `* Re: Musk Makes Offer to Buy Twitter / Blue-Check Celebrities Freaking OutmoviePig
       +* Re: Musk Makes Offer to Buy Twitter / Blue-Check Celebrities FreakingmoviePig
       |+* Re: Musk Makes Offer to Buy Twitter / Blue-Check Celebrities FreakingmoviePig
       ||+* Re: Musk Makes Offer to Buy Twitter / Blue-Check Celebrities FreakingmoviePig
       |||`- Re: Musk Makes Offer to Buy Twitter / Blue-Check Celebrities FreakingmoviePig
       ||`- Re: Musk Makes Offer to Buy Twitter / Blue-Check Celebrities FreakingmoviePig
       |`- Re: Musk Makes Offer to Buy Twitter / Blue-Check Celebrities Freaking Outtrotsky
       `- Re: Musk Makes Offer to Buy Twitter / Blue-Check Celebrities Freaking Outtrotsky

1
Re: Musk Makes Offer to Buy Twitter / Blue-Check Celebrities Freaking Out

<u6m6K.188213$yi_7.143050@fx39.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=141911&group=rec.arts.tv#141911

Subject: Re: Musk Makes Offer to Buy Twitter / Blue-Check Celebrities Freaking
Out
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 18:13:44 -0400
 by: moviePig - Fri, 15 Apr 2022 22:13 UTC

On 4/15/2022 6:02 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> In article <g0oj5hdol9v20kpi7h80uuvstas1v4einh@4ax.com>,
> shawn <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 15 Apr 2022 10:00:19 -0700, BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

>> Given Musk's statements in the past I think that is exactly what would
>> happen. At least initially. Who knows what the over reaction would be
>> among the twitter users and how Musk would react.
>>
>> Not that it's going to happen given the poison pill that the board
>> just implemented. They just implemented a temporary (till 2023) poison
>> pill where in if anyone gains more than 15% of the stock every
>> shareholder will be able to increase their shares at a reduced cost. I
>> didn't see how many more shares they could buy but if it's even just
>> doubling their shares suddenly the cost to buy the company becomes
>> much greater.
>>
>>> More like a place where sanity reigns and people don't get banned for
>>> stating scientific facts because reality is 'harassing' or some such
>>> nonsense.
>>
>> Part of that is just the headache involved in clearing all of the
>> posts people make whether on Twitter/Facebook/Youtube. There's so much
>> being posted that they have to use machine learning but even then the
>> humans can't be given more than a few seconds to review the posts that
>> come up as questionable just to keep up. It doesn't allow them time to
>> think it through.
>
> No Twitter has a broad policy that disallows any discussion-- even
> scientific research-- that indicates mammals have only two sexes and/or
> that it's impossible to switch sex merely by wishing hard enough.

William Shockley's data on race and IQ is 'scientific research'. What
would be your moderator-verdict on someone repeatedly Tweeting it?

Re: Musk Makes Offer to Buy Twitter / Blue-Check Celebrities Freaking Out

<ioq6K.605747$LN2.518761@fx13.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=141916&group=rec.arts.tv#141916

Out
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 23:05:49 -0400
 by: moviePig - Sat, 16 Apr 2022 03:05 UTC

On 4/15/2022 10:16 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> In article <u6m6K.188213$yi_7.143050@fx39.iad>,
> moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com> wrote:
>
>> On 4/15/2022 6:02 PM, BTR1701 wrote:

>>> No Twitter has a broad policy that disallows any discussion-- even
>>> scientific research-- that indicates mammals have only two sexes and/or
>>> that it's impossible to switch sex merely by wishing hard enough.
>>
>> William Shockley's data on race and IQ is 'scientific research'. What
>> would be your moderator-verdict on someone repeatedly Tweeting it?
>
> Free speech. Tweet away.

Your idea of free speech does anything but free speech.

> Of course now you seem to be suggesting that a basic truism of
> biological science accepted as scientific fact for the last 500 years or
> so is no longer such because a bunch of whiny weirdos with purple hair
> and neckbeards not only demand it but also require the silencing of
> anyone who objects.

No, I don't suggest that at all, thanks for asking. What I *do* suggest
is that anything -- even "scientific research -- can be used as an
openly bigoted cudgel, obvious to sensible adults as well as to victims.

Re: Musk Makes Offer to Buy Twitter / Blue-Check Celebrities Freaking Out

<02B6K.847782$aT3.720043@fx09.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=141922&group=rec.arts.tv#141922

Out
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 11:13:00 -0400
 by: moviePig - Sat, 16 Apr 2022 15:13 UTC

On 4/16/2022 10:05 AM, NoBody wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Apr 2022 23:05:49 -0400, moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 4/15/2022 10:16 PM, BTR1701 wrote:

>>> Free speech. Tweet away.
>>
>> Your idea of free speech does anything but free speech.
>
> Twitter's current stance is ANYTHING but free speech.
>

>>> Of course now you seem to be suggesting that a basic truism of
>>> biological science accepted as scientific fact for the last 500 years or
>>> so is no longer such because a bunch of whiny weirdos with purple hair
>>> and neckbeards not only demand it but also require the silencing of
>>> anyone who objects.
>>
>> No, I don't suggest that at all, thanks for asking. What I *do* suggest
>> is that anything -- even "scientific research -- can be used as an
>> openly bigoted cudgel, obvious to sensible adults as well as to victims.
>
> You've just described Twitter to a T - allowing the promotion of the
> trans religion, BLM and other leftist ideas while banning people who
> disagree with it.

Well, that'd be "wrong" (if true), but afaik also Twitter's prerogative.

Re: Musk Makes Offer to Buy Twitter / Blue-Check Celebrities Freaking Out

<yfB6K.262432$%uX7.157448@fx38.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=141923&group=rec.arts.tv#141923

Out
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 11:27:24 -0400
 by: moviePig - Sat, 16 Apr 2022 15:27 UTC

On 4/16/2022 12:57 AM, BTR1701 wrote:
> In article <ioq6K.605747$LN2.518761@fx13.iad>,
> moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com> wrote:
>
>> On 4/15/2022 10:16 PM, BTR1701 wrote:

>>> Free speech. Tweet away.
>>
>> Your idea of free speech does anything but free speech.
>
> Not sure why. Under my idea, no one is prohibited from saying whatever
> they want. I just don't care if people are offended. They need to put on
> their big boy and girl pants and learn that hearing things they don't
> like is just part of life.
>
>>> Of course now you seem to be suggesting that a basic truism of
>>> biological science accepted as scientific fact for the last 500 years or
>>> so is no longer such because a bunch of whiny weirdos with purple hair
>>> and neckbeards not only demand it but also require the silencing of
>>> anyone who objects.
>>
>> No, I don't suggest that at all, thanks for asking. What I *do* suggest
>> is that anything -- even "scientific research -- can be used as an
>> openly bigoted cudgel, obvious to sensible adults as well as to victims.
>
> Well, cudgel back then. Don't whine and demand people be silenced
> because you don't like what they're saying.

And one way that someone (Twitter?) might "cudgel back" is to declare
"cudgeling" off-limits in its forum ...curbing, e.g., any poster whose
intent is plainly to dun rather than to inform.

Re: Musk Makes Offer to Buy Twitter / Blue-Check Celebrities Freaking Out

<vFE6K.512678$Rza5.146387@fx47.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=141937&group=rec.arts.tv#141937

Out
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
<atropos-92C230.10024216042022@news.giganews.com>
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 15:19:54 -0400
 by: moviePig - Sat, 16 Apr 2022 19:19 UTC

On 4/16/2022 1:02 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> In article <yfB6K.262432$%uX7.157448@fx38.iad>,
> moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com> wrote:
>
>> On 4/16/2022 12:57 AM, BTR1701 wrote:

>>> Not sure why. Under my idea, no one is prohibited from saying whatever
>>> they want. I just don't care if people are offended. They need to put on
>>> their big boy and girl pants and learn that hearing things they don't
>>> like is just part of life.

>>> Well, cudgel back then. Don't whine and demand people be silenced
>>> because you don't like what they're saying.
>>
>> And one way that someone (Twitter?) might "cudgel back" is to declare
>> "cudgeling" off-limits in its forum ...curbing, e.g., any poster whose
>> intent is plainly to dun rather than to inform.
>
> But if a company chooses not to play the role of super-nanny and let the
> users cudgel back or not as they see fit, it doesn't mean there's no
> free speech.

Indeed, it doesn't mean there's no free speech ...at least until, say,
the din of cudgeling effectively clogs the available bandwidth.

Re: Musk Makes Offer to Buy Twitter / Blue-Check Celebrities Freaking Out

<JKG6K.604273$7F2.224887@fx12.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=141939&group=rec.arts.tv#141939

Out
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
<ncqdnQ3b-_y5ssb_nZ2dnUU7-IPNnZ2d@giganews.com>
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 17:42:00 -0400
 by: moviePig - Sat, 16 Apr 2022 21:42 UTC

On 4/16/2022 5:03 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com> wrote:
>> On 4/16/2022 1:02 PM, BTR1701 wrote:

>>> But if a company chooses not to play the role of super-nanny and let the
>>> users cudgel back or not as they see fit, it doesn't mean there's no
>>> free speech.
>>
>> Indeed, it doesn't mean there's no free speech ...at least until, say,
>> the din of cudgeling effectively clogs the available bandwidth.
>
> This is 2022, not 1995. Bandwidth is cheap and plentiful.

Attention-bandwidth is never cheap and plentiful.

Re: Musk Makes Offer to Buy Twitter / Blue-Check Celebrities Freaking Out

<bZH6K.848562$aT3.698245@fx09.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=141943&group=rec.arts.tv#141943

Out
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
<f4qdnX69ufxdocb_nZ2dnUU7-bnNnZ2d@giganews.com>
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 19:05:42 -0400
 by: moviePig - Sat, 16 Apr 2022 23:05 UTC

On 4/16/2022 6:01 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com> wrote:

>>> This is 2022, not 1995. Bandwidth is cheap and plentiful.
>>
>> Attention-bandwidth is never cheap and plentiful.
>
> You have the right to speak freely but no one ever promised you an
> audience.

But what we're confronting here is "free speech" drowning out *other*
"free speech", whether by volume, repetition, or general un-savoriness.

Re: Musk Makes Offer to Buy Twitter / Blue-Check Celebrities Freaking Out

<VJK6K.247567$H_t7.39837@fx40.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=141944&group=rec.arts.tv#141944

Out
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
<4Omdnbvzd-i9w8b_nZ2dnUU7-KnNnZ2d@giganews.com>
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 22:14:12 -0400
 by: moviePig - Sun, 17 Apr 2022 02:14 UTC

On 4/16/2022 8:24 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com> wrote:

>>> You have the right to speak freely but no one ever promised you an
>>> audience.
>>
>> But what we're confronting here is "free speech" drowning out *other*
>> "free speech", whether by volume, repetition, or general un-savoriness.
>
> I don't know how one person being unsavory can drown out everyone else, but
> regardless, so what?

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Musk Makes Offer to Buy Twitter / Blue-Check Celebrities Freaking Out

<piW6K.361605$f2a5.147908@fx48.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=141954&group=rec.arts.tv#141954

Subject: Re: Musk Makes Offer to Buy Twitter / Blue-Check Celebrities Freaking Out
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
References: <O_Sdne89i6WJecX_nZ2dnUU7-d_NnZ2d@giganews.com> <vt2i5hpepl50lmpq3jdmgttnt7c9u519ct@4ax.com> <atropos-3EDF4E.10001915042022@news.giganews.com> <g0oj5hdol9v20kpi7h80uuvstas1v4einh@4ax.com> <atropos-B94801.15022715042022@news.giganews.com> <u6m6K.188213$yi_7.143050@fx39.iad> <atropos-C180CA.19162115042022@news.giganews.com> <ioq6K.605747$LN2.518761@fx13.iad> <atropos-565F78.21573415042022@news.giganews.com> <yfB6K.262432$%uX7.157448@fx38.iad> <atropos-92C230.10024216042022@news.giganews.com> <vFE6K.512678$Rza5.146387@fx47.iad> <ncqdnQ3b-_y5ssb_nZ2dnUU7-IPNnZ2d@giganews.com> <JKG6K.604273$7F2.224887@fx12.iad> <f4qdnX69ufxdocb_nZ2dnUU7-bnNnZ2d@giganews.com> <bZH6K.848562$aT3.698245@fx09.iad> <4Omdnbvzd-i9w8b_nZ2dnUU7-KnNnZ2d@giganews.com> <VJK6K.247567$H_t7.39837@fx40.iad> <yP6dnWFcArSS4sb_nZ2dnUU7-XPNnZ2d@giganews.com>
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2022 11:24:04 -0400
 by: moviePig - Sun, 17 Apr 2022 15:24 UTC

On 4/16/2022 10:44 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com> wrote:

>>> I don't know how one person being unsavory can drown out everyone else, but
>>> regardless, so what?
>>
>> "Free speech" as a license to bludgeon is,
>
> No one's saying you can hit people under the guise of free speech.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Musk Makes Offer to Buy Twitter / Blue-Check Celebrities Freaking Out

<I%%6K.848597$aT3.155139@fx09.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=141967&group=rec.arts.tv#141967

Out
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
<atropos-D2056C.12585817042022@news.giganews.com>
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2022 17:53:43 -0400
 by: moviePig - Sun, 17 Apr 2022 21:53 UTC

On 4/17/2022 3:58 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> In article <piW6K.361605$f2a5.147908@fx48.iad>,
> moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com> wrote:

>>> No one's saying you can hit people under the guise of free speech.
>>
>> Perhaps you're not distinguishing between, say, "hitting people" and
>> "hitting people where it hurts".

> That's part of being an adult in this world. Sometimes people will hurt
> your feelings. Suck it up and deal.

It's not about "feelings", it's about material damage under the guise of
"free speech" ...e.g., publishing an adversary's private address.

>>> The original intent said "shall make no law"...
>>
>> Yes. Good quoting, albeit of an undisputed phrase...
>
> If you don't dispute it, then your position that speech should be
> censored for merely being 'unsavory' is untenable.

What's in dispute is the intent of the words that follow, iirc. The
only intent in "shall make no law" is law-prevention...

Re: Musk Makes Offer to Buy Twitter / Blue-Check Celebrities Freaking Out

<we17K.87141$Kdf.48117@fx96.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=141969&group=rec.arts.tv#141969

Out
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
<atropos-EAE215.14571717042022@news.giganews.com>
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2022 19:17:47 -0400
 by: moviePig - Sun, 17 Apr 2022 23:17 UTC

On 4/17/2022 5:57 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> In article <I%%6K.848597$aT3.155139@fx09.iad>,
> moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com> wrote:
>
>> On 4/17/2022 3:58 PM, BTR1701 wrote:

>>> That's part of being an adult in this world. Sometimes people will hurt
>>> your feelings. Suck it up and deal.
>>
>> It's not about "feelings", it's about material damage under the guise of
>> "free speech" ...e.g., publishing an adversary's private address.
>
> Since when are addresses private? They used to be (and still are)
> published in big paper search engines called phone books that anyone
> could access.

Some celebrities have *two* (or more) addresses, including private ones.

>>> If you don't dispute it, then your position that speech should be
>>> censored for merely being 'unsavory' is untenable.
>>
>> What's in dispute is the intent of the words that follow, iirc.
>
> Everything that follows it falls under the "make no law prohibition".

....and what it intends to prohibit is what's disputed.

Re: Musk Makes Offer to Buy Twitter / Blue-Check Celebrities Freaking Out

<m_37K.369446$f2a5.214835@fx48.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=141975&group=rec.arts.tv#141975

Out
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
<atropos-42B9C3.17014817042022@news.giganews.com>
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2022 22:25:21 -0400
 by: moviePig - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 02:25 UTC

On 4/17/2022 8:01 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> In article <we17K.87141$Kdf.48117@fx96.iad>,
> moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com> wrote:
>
>> On 4/17/2022 5:57 PM, BTR1701 wrote:

>>> Since when are addresses private? They used to be (and still are)
>>> published in big paper search engines called phone books that anyone
>>> could access.
>>
>> Some celebrities have *two* (or more) addresses, including private ones.
>
> They're still not private. Land ownership deeds and titles are a matter
> of public record.
>
> So is all the information compiled by info brokers like Lexus/Nexis.
> Their entire business model would be illegal if that information was
> actually private.

>>> Everything that follows it falls under the "make no law prohibition".
>>
>> ...and what it intends to prohibit is what's disputed.
>
> Not by anyone who can read plain English.

Sure.

Re: Musk Makes Offer to Buy Twitter / Blue-Check Celebrities Freaking Out

<16e6ed2e465e131c$5$632451$52d51861@news.newsdemon.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=141985&group=rec.arts.tv#141985

Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 02:31:35 -0500
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
References: <O_Sdne89i6WJecX_nZ2dnUU7-d_NnZ2d@giganews.com> <vt2i5hpepl50lmpq3jdmgttnt7c9u519ct@4ax.com> <atropos-3EDF4E.10001915042022@news.giganews.com> <g0oj5hdol9v20kpi7h80uuvstas1v4einh@4ax.com> <atropos-B94801.15022715042022@news.giganews.com> <u6m6K.188213$yi_7.143050@fx39.iad> <atropos-C180CA.19162115042022@news.giganews.com> <ioq6K.605747$LN2.518761@fx13.iad> <atropos-565F78.21573415042022@news.giganews.com> <yfB6K.262432$%uX7.157448@fx38.iad> <atropos-92C230.10024216042022@news.giganews.com> <vFE6K.512678$Rza5.146387@fx47.iad> <ncqdnQ3b-_y5ssb_nZ2dnUU7-IPNnZ2d@giganews.com> <JKG6K.604273$7F2.224887@fx12.iad> <f4qdnX69ufxdocb_nZ2dnUU7-bnNnZ2d@giganews.com> <bZH6K.848562$aT3.698245@fx09.iad> <4Omdnbvzd-i9w8b_nZ2dnUU7-KnNnZ2d@giganews.com> <VJK6K.247567$H_t7.39837@fx40.iad> <yP6dnWFcArSS4sb_nZ2dnUU7-XPNnZ2d@giganews.com> <piW6K.361605$f2a5.147908@fx48.iad> <atropos-D2056C.12585817042022@news.giganews.com>
From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
 by: trotsky - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 07:31 UTC

On 4/17/2022 2:58 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> In article <piW6K.361605$f2a5.147908@fx48.iad>, moviePig
> <pwallace@moviepig.com> wrote:

>>> No one's saying you can hit people under the guise of free
>>> speech.
>>
>> Perhaps you're not distinguishing between, say, "hitting people"
>> and "hitting people where it hurts".
>
> That's part of being an adult in this world. Sometimes people will
> hurt your feelings. Suck it up and deal.

There it is: "Pull yourself up by your dickstraps. We're Amurricans,
we're not here to help each other!!!"

Re: Musk Makes Offer to Buy Twitter / Blue-Check Celebrities Freaking Out

<16e6ed93a49eadf4$7$632451$52d51861@news.newsdemon.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=141988&group=rec.arts.tv#141988

Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 02:38:50 -0500
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
References: <O_Sdne89i6WJecX_nZ2dnUU7-d_NnZ2d@giganews.com> <atropos-3EDF4E.10001915042022@news.giganews.com> <g0oj5hdol9v20kpi7h80uuvstas1v4einh@4ax.com> <atropos-B94801.15022715042022@news.giganews.com> <u6m6K.188213$yi_7.143050@fx39.iad> <atropos-C180CA.19162115042022@news.giganews.com> <ioq6K.605747$LN2.518761@fx13.iad> <atropos-565F78.21573415042022@news.giganews.com> <yfB6K.262432$%uX7.157448@fx38.iad> <atropos-92C230.10024216042022@news.giganews.com> <vFE6K.512678$Rza5.146387@fx47.iad> <ncqdnQ3b-_y5ssb_nZ2dnUU7-IPNnZ2d@giganews.com> <JKG6K.604273$7F2.224887@fx12.iad> <f4qdnX69ufxdocb_nZ2dnUU7-bnNnZ2d@giganews.com> <bZH6K.848562$aT3.698245@fx09.iad> <4Omdnbvzd-i9w8b_nZ2dnUU7-KnNnZ2d@giganews.com> <VJK6K.247567$H_t7.39837@fx40.iad> <yP6dnWFcArSS4sb_nZ2dnUU7-XPNnZ2d@giganews.com> <piW6K.361605$f2a5.147908@fx48.iad> <atropos-D2056C.12585817042022@news.giganews.com> <I%%6K.848597$aT3.155139@fx09.iad> <atropos-EAE215.14571717042022@news.giganews.com>
From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
 by: trotsky - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 07:38 UTC

On 4/17/2022 4:57 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> In article <I%%6K.848597$aT3.155139@fx09.iad>,
> moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com> wrote:
>
>> On 4/17/2022 3:58 PM, BTR1701 wrote:

>>> That's part of being an adult in this world. Sometimes people will hurt
>>> your feelings. Suck it up and deal.
>>
>> It's not about "feelings", it's about material damage under the guise of
>> "free speech" ...e.g., publishing an adversary's private address.
>
> Since when are addresses private? They used to be (and still are)
> published in big paper search engines called phone books that anyone
> could access.

LOL! WELL ANONYSHITTED.

Re: Musk Makes Offer to Buy Twitter / Blue-Check Celebrities Freaking Out

<MJi7K.438093$t2Bb.2604@fx98.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=142006&group=rec.arts.tv#142006

Out
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
<atropos-479450.11505518042022@news.giganews.com>
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 15:11:39 -0400
 by: moviePig - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 19:11 UTC

On 4/18/2022 2:50 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> In article <m_37K.369446$f2a5.214835@fx48.iad>,
> moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com> wrote:
>
>> On 4/17/2022 8:01 PM, BTR1701 wrote:

>>> They're still not private. Land ownership deeds and titles are a matter
>>> of public record.
>>>
>>> So is all the information compiled by info brokers like Lexus/Nexis.
>>> Their entire business model would be illegal if that information was
>>> actually private.

>>> Not by anyone who can read plain English.
>>
>> Sure.
>
> Great, we agree at long last.

Sure we do.

Re: Musk Makes Offer to Buy Twitter / Blue-Check Celebrities Freaking Out

<1lE8K.605327$mF2.20506@fx11.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=142113&group=rec.arts.tv#142113

Out
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 16:36:12 -0400
 by: moviePig - Fri, 22 Apr 2022 20:36 UTC

On 4/22/2022 3:38 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> On Apr 17, 2022 at 4:17:47 PM PDT, "moviePig" <pwallace@moviepig.com> wrote:
>
>> On 4/17/2022 5:57 PM, BTR1701 wrote:

>>> Since when are addresses private? They used to be (and still are)
>>> published in big paper search engines called phone books that anyone
>>> could access.
>>
>> Some celebrities have *two* (or more) addresses, including private ones.
>
> They used to dox literally everyone in the whole city and then deliver the Dox
> Book to everyone's house. At the library you could get free access to the Dox
> Books for other cities, too. Also, if you called (area code) 555-1212, the
> phone company would dox anyone you wanted for you.

If your point is that such "free speech" isn't damaging because
addresses aren't private, then substitute 'medical history'...

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: Musk Makes Offer to Buy Twitter / Blue-Check Celebrities Freaking Out