From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: Toronto: WOKE arboreal matters of GREAT import!
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2022 05:13:45 -0400
 by: Rhino - Sun, 24 Apr 2022 09:13 UTC

On 2022-04-24 1:38 AM, BTR1701 wrote:
> In article <t42m98$knh$2@gioia.aioe.org>,
> David Johnston <davidjohnston29@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> And the Latin name for Horse fly is Tabanidae
>>> Ever use that term?
>>
>> Why no. I haven't ever used the term "horse fly".
>
> I have. So have millions of other people.
>
> This is one of the rare instances in which Rich has a point. When
> there's a common name for something like an insect or a bacterium or an
> animal, that's what the government and the media uses. It's odd for them
> to be using some tongue-twisting Latin nomenclature until you realize
> that's it's just more PC hand-wringing that the common name in this
> case-- gypsy moth-- will offend someone.

Thirty years ago, I almost had a serious accident in Toronto because
they'd posted signs warning of open "maintenance covers" where I was
driving. I was scratching my head and trying to figure out what the
warning actually meant when I almost drove into one: it was a manhole.
Apparently, the city council and/or its bureaucrats had deemed "manhole"
impossibly sexist and replaced it with a gender-neutral term that was
absolutely meaningless to any normal person. (I was driving on Lakeshore
Blvd. where it is immediately beneath the Gardiner Expressway, an
elevated roadway near the lake, and couldn't for the life of me figure
out if a maintenance cover was a drain from above, an access port to the
pillars holding up the expressway, or a hole in the ground, more
commonly known as a manhole.)

This is the same city council that decided that the annual Christmas
tree at city hall could no longer be called a Christmas tree because
that discriminated against the other religions so they renamed it "the
Holiday Tree". The entire city mocked them for that because *no one* had
been offended by the Christmas Tree, including the devout Hindus,
Muslims, Buddhists, Jews, and other practitioners of major and minor
faiths.

By the way, I wonder how many people seeing "LDD moth" thought it was
something to do with telephones? (Perhaps a moth that was causing
problems with telephone wires?) The only instance of "LDD" I can ever
remember seeing was an acronym for Long Distance Dialing, i.e. having
the ability to call non-local numbers directly rather than having to go
through an operator.

If you think about it, the refusal to use "gypsy moth" is a bit absurd
given that pretty much everyone seems to know what we can't call certain
people gypsies any more. Given that moths aren't humans, why exactly is
"gypsy moth" forbidden?

--
Rhino

Re: Toronto: WOKE arboreal matters of GREAT import!

<t43dn0$liv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=142141&group=rec.arts.tv#142141

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2022 07:53:01 -0400
 by: Rhino - Sun, 24 Apr 2022 11:53 UTC

On 2022-04-24 6:06 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> Rhino <no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:
>> On 2022-04-24 1:38 AM, BTR1701 wrote:

>>> I have. So have millions of other people.
>>>
>>> This is one of the rare instances in which Rich has a point. When
>>> there's a common name for something like an insect or a bacterium or an
>>> animal, that's what the government and the media uses. It's odd for them
>>> to be using some tongue-twisting Latin nomenclature until you realize
>>> that's it's just more PC hand-wringing that the common name in this
>>> case-- gypsy moth-- will offend someone.
>>
>> Thirty years ago, I almost had a serious accident in Toronto because
>> they'd posted signs warning of open "maintenance covers" where I was
>> driving. I was scratching my head and trying to figure out what the
>> warning actually meant when I almost drove into one: it was a manhole.
>> Apparently, the city council and/or its bureaucrats had deemed "manhole"
>> impossibly sexist and replaced it with a gender-neutral term that was
>> absolutely meaningless to any normal person. (I was driving on Lakeshore
>> Blvd. where it is immediately beneath the Gardiner Expressway, an
>> elevated roadway near the lake, and couldn't for the life of me figure
>> out if a maintenance cover was a drain from above, an access port to the
>> pillars holding up the expressway, or a hole in the ground, more
>> commonly known as a manhole.)
>>
>> This is the same city council that decided that the annual Christmas
>> tree at city hall could no longer be called a Christmas tree because
>> that discriminated against the other religions so they renamed it "the
>> Holiday Tree". The entire city mocked them for that because *no one* had
>> been offended by the Christmas Tree, including the devout Hindus,
>> Muslims, Buddhists, Jews, and other practitioners of major and minor
>> faiths.
>
> You can’t say holiday tree anymore. It’s a corruption of “holy day“ which
> is obviously offensive.
>

>> By the way, I wonder how many people seeing "LDD moth" thought it was
>> something to do with telephones? (Perhaps a moth that was causing
>> problems with telephone wires?) The only instance of "LDD" I can ever
>> remember seeing was an acronym for Long Distance Dialing, i.e. having
>> the ability to call non-local numbers directly rather than having to go
>> through an operator.
>>
>> If you think about it, the refusal to use "gypsy moth" is a bit absurd
>> given that pretty much everyone seems to know what we can't call certain
>> people gypsies any more. Given that moths aren't humans, why exactly is
>> "gypsy moth" forbidden?
>

> You aren’t supposed to say “gypsy“ at all. It’s considered a racial slur
> against the Roma people by those that consider the Roma people their own
> specific race (a.k.a. idiots).

I get that but moths aren't people and moths aren't going to be offended
if someone calls specific varieties of moths "gypsies". And humans
shouldn't be offended either because they aren't called gypsies any more
either.

> When the Roma first wandered into Europe
> apparently the Europeans thought they were from Egypt which is where the
> term “gypsy“ comes from. Sort of like calling “Native Americans“ Indians.

There was a neat moment in a short-lived sitcom based on a movie about
an American who got sent to India to manage a call center there. His
employees were, naturally, Indians and the customers were, as I recall,
all Americans. He had to explain to the staff that native Americans must
not be referred to as Indians because that was offensive. The employees
all look baffled at that "logic". I'm sure they were wondering why
anyone would be offended at being called an Indian.

--
Rhino

Re: Toronto: WOKE arboreal matters of GREAT import!

<t43koh$aip$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=142143&group=rec.arts.tv#142143

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2022 09:53:19 -0400
 by: Rhino - Sun, 24 Apr 2022 13:53 UTC

On 2022-04-24 8:10 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> Rhino <no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:

>>> You can’t say holiday tree anymore. It’s a corruption of “holy day“ which
>>> is obviously offensive.

>>> You aren’t supposed to say “gypsy“ at all. It’s considered a racial slur
>>> against the Roma people by those that consider the Roma people their own
>>> specific race (a.k.a. idiots).
>>
>> I get that but moths aren't people and moths aren't going to be offended
>> if someone calls specific varieties of moths "gypsies". And humans
>> shouldn't be offended either because they aren't called gypsies any more
>> either.
>>
>>> When the Roma first wandered into Europe
>>> apparently the Europeans thought they were from Egypt which is where the
>>> term “gypsy“ comes from. Sort of like calling “Native Americans“ Indians.
>>>
>> There was a neat moment in a short-lived sitcom based on a movie about
>> an American who got sent to India to manage a call center there. His
>> employees were, naturally, Indians and the customers were, as I recall,
>> all Americans. He had to explain to the staff that native Americans must
>> not be referred to as Indians because that was offensive. The employees
>> all look baffled at that "logic". I'm sure they were wondering why
>> anyone would be offended at being called an Indian.
>>

> OUTSOURCED
> I really wanted to like that show and I just hated it. The call center in
> India only had one shift, during the day. The other 16 hours it was closed
> and empty. And it never occurred to anybody that the hours they were open
> was the middle of the night in America. 8 AM in India is 10:30 PM in New
> York. So they’ve got this catalog business and you can only order when it’s
> dark out and the other 16 hours of the day forget it.

That's the show! I had forgotten the name and wasn't able to deduce it
by finding the movie, which I had thought starred either Owen or Luke
Wilson. Now that you've given me the name, I see that the actual star
was Josh Hamilton.

And yes, your remarks about the business operations of this call center
are all accurate: they absolutely wouldn't operate only in the (local)
daytime hours for India because that would be useless to American
consumers who wouldn't be shopping in the middle of the American night
in any big numbers.

--
Rhino