From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-04-16 (Saturday)
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2022 10:27:22 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Sun, 17 Apr 2022 17:27 UTC

On 4/17/2022 9:05 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
>> I watched:
>>
>> RIFFTRAX:
>> "Plan 9 From Outer Space".
>>
>> What did you watch?
>

> Hey, thanks for asking!
>
> JACK OF DIAMONDS (1967)
> A kind of silly cat burglar flick with all the production values of any
> given episode of IT TAKES A THIEF. Like that show it owes huge chunks of
> itself to the Cary Grant classic TO CATCH A THIEF. George Hamilton plays
> the cat burglar. Joseph Cotten plays the original cat burglar George
> Hamilton has taken over from. Samantha‘s dad from Bewitched plays a rival
> cat burglar and there is of course a girl cat burglar taking over from him.
> Hamilton and the girl somehow manage to meet completely accidentally just
> in time to work together on a big heist. Some really terrible back
> projection makes it look like they filmed in more locations than they
> actually did.
>
> I skimmed several episodes of CASEY JONES. I may have finally seen them
> all.

Unless he's wearing a hockey mask and beating criminals senseless with
various sports equipment, I'm not interested.

> Stuart Whitman is TREASURE OF THE AMAZON (1985). On the Tubi. It turned out
> to be a beautiful print with three separate groups of treasure seekers
> running around and not interacting. Ian should not watch this because the
> women are all topless at all times. With Donald Pleasence, Bradford
> Dillman, and John Ireland.
>
> When it was over, the Tubi automatically started playing MOUNTAIN OF THE
> CANNIBAL GOD A.K.A. SLAVE OF THE CANNIBAL GOD (1978). Ursula Andress stars
> with a bunch of Italian women pretending to be from New Guinea. Ian should
> absolutely not go anywhere near this. IMDB rates it’s nudity and gore both
> as SEVERE and they ain’t kidding. This is as graphic a film as I’ve seen
> outside of a stag party. If you are looking for a film where good looking
> Italian women who are naked except for being covered with clay dirt strip
> down Ursula Andress and rub their hands all over her mostly in close up
> then this is the film for you. Banned in Britain!
>
> This was not on my Tubi watchlist. I’ve never heard of it before. I have no
> idea what algorithm the Tubi uses to decide what to play next.
>
> Recorded for later:
>
> All those time travel movies Adam alerted us to. While programming those I
> noticed that TMC had a bunch of other goodies including The Great Race and
> the Maltese Falcon, So I grabbed those even though they’re already on my
> cloud drive. And while setting those up they tempted me with some more
> stuff including bringing up baby, a Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur‘s
> Court, Saint Jack, House of women, it should happen to you, and on
> Wednesday, April 27 all kinds of goodies such as:
> The thing (from another world)
> The beast from 20,000 fathoms
> Them!
> Forbidden planet
> The indestructible man
> Attack of the 50 foot woman
> The fly (with Al Hedison!)

I have plans to revisit the Cronenberg "Fly" soon. Maybe I'll consider
watching the original as well. Maybe.

> Added to my Netflix watchlist
> Return to space (2022) a documentary about Elon musk and SpaceX
> ANON (2018) a science-fiction flick with Amanda Seyfried

The Netflix DVD side doesn't have this movie and doesn't offer the
option to stream it. But when I went to the streaming side I saw it was
already on my watch list.

> BARBARIANS (2020) but given this is a series I’m never going to get through
> it and
>
> And finally THE FOREIGNER
> A dreadful plodding miserable film with old Jackie Chan as somebody whose
> daughter is murdered as collateral damage by Irish terrorists and Pierce
> Brosnan as the Irish diplomat trying to keep the whole thing from
> exploding.

I think I saw this in the theater when it first came out. As I recall,
I liked it.

This will be a two day catch up. I watched:

Law & Order - "Wicked Game" - This felt a bit like a SVU script that got
repurposed.

Ghosts - "Attic Girl" - The ghosts throw a prom for a mean girl ghost
from the 80s. I'm getting slightly annoyed at how the writers keep
introducing random ghosts to the house, who have always been there, but
never shown or mentioned until needed for plot.

Atlanta (FX) - "Cancer Attack" - I continue to find the official episode
descriptions to be a central part of the episode itself. The episode
description for this one says, "Sometimes shows just be over my head
acting fake deep. Where's the poop jokes?" Anyway the regular casts
returns for this episode which focuses on "Paper Boi" searching for his
missing phone. There's a bit more to it than that. This episode was
both funny and "deep" at the same time. I'm not sure what was funnier,
searching the child who had just had a "cancer attack" or interrogating
the guy who *clearly* stole the phone. At one point after the alleged
thief says he doesn't have a cellphone, he casually pulls a phone out of
his pocket to send a text message then put it back in without comment.
Although I did see one online theory that the new member of their
entourage is who really stole the phone. Atlanta is one of those shows
you have to seek out online analysis of the episode when it's over and
there are no shortage of those.

Captain America: Civil War (4K disc) - Team Cap vs. Team Iron Man. I
love this movie. Another great entry in the MCU.

Black Widow (4K disc) - Following the events of Civil War, Black Widow
is on the run and winds up helping her fellow black Widows. This was
mostly background noise.

Doctor Mordrid (blu-ray) 1992 fantasy movie from Full Moon Pictures,
directed by Albert and Charles Band, and starring Jeffrey Combs as
Doctor Strange, I mean Doctor Mordrid, the master of the unknown.
Strange, I mean Mordrid, is a supreme sorcerer tasked by a cosmic entity
with protecting Earth from an evil wizard (Brian Thompson) who is trying
to unleash an evil entity from the dark dimension which will destroy our
world. Strange, I mean Mordrid does this from his "inner sanctum" and
with a magical amulet he wears around his neck, along with his ability
to astral project. Yvette Nipar costars as his next-door neighbor who
gets caught up in his latest adventure to protect the Earth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-BjMiezgxs

Doctor Strange (4K disc) - After a devastating car accident Doctor
Stephen Strange travels the world looking for a cure and winds up the
sorcerer supreme instead. The movie holds up great. But I think this
might have been the first time I've watched this movie in 2D, and it
just looked off in 2D. This movie was really meant to be watched in 3D.
I made a point to buy a 3D projector, then turn around and watch a
bunch of 3D movies in 2D. But the uptick in 4K quality is much more
noticeable on a big screen. It wasn't as noticeable before when I was
watching these movies on a TV screen.

Avengers: Infinity War (4K disc) The Avengers are still in pieces
following the events of Civil War and in no shape to fend off Thanos and
his radical plans for population control. This is a perfect movie. I
never get tired of watching it.

Avengers: Endgame (4K disc) The Avengers regroup for a time heist in a
last ditch effort to defeat Thanos. Holds up great. I actually stopped
the movie towards the end and waited over an hour for the sun to go down
just so I could watch the final battle at night. It was worth it!
Watching that final battle on a giant screen in a proper dark room was
breathtaking.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-04-16 (Saturday)

<t3iv29$bq$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=141978&group=rec.arts.tv#141978

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2022 23:04:54 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 06:04 UTC

On 4/17/2022 9:46 PM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> On 2022-04-17 17:27:22 +0000, Arthur Lipscomb said:
>
>> This will be a two day catch up.  I watched:
>
> I may do a multi-day catch up on a day or two...
>
>> Captain America: Civil War (4K disc) - Team Cap vs. Team Iron Man.  I
>> love this movie.  Another great entry in the MCU.
>
> I actually find "Winter Soldier" to be overrated. I've grown to like it
> more over time, but I still think it's over rated.
>
>> Black Widow (4K disc) - Following the events of Civil War, Black Widow
>> is on the run and winds up helping her fellow black Widows.  This was
>> mostly background noise.
>
> I'll watch this one again at some point, to determine what I think about
> it...
>
>> Doctor Strange (4K disc) - After a devastating car accident Doctor
>> Stephen Strange travels the world looking for a cure and winds up the
>> sorcerer supreme instead.  The movie holds up great.
>
> I liked this one quite a bit.
>
>> Avengers: Infinity War (4K disc) The Avengers are still in pieces
>> following the events of Civil War and in no shape to fend off Thanos
>> and his radical plans for population control.  This is a perfect
>> movie.  I never get tired of watching it.
>>
>> Avengers: Endgame (4K disc) The Avengers regroup for a time heist in a
>> last ditch effort to defeat Thanos.  Holds up great.  I actually
>> stopped the movie towards the end and waited over an hour for the sun
>> to go down just so I could watch the final battle at night.  It was
>> worth it! Watching that final battle on a giant screen in a proper
>> dark room was breathtaking.
>
> I still prefer Infinity War to Endgame. FWIW.

Infinity War is definitely the better of the two movies. But that
doesn't mean Endgame doesn't have some crowd pleasing moments too. That
last hour of the movie is pure goodness.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-04-16 (Saturday)

<t4k86k$bad$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=142266&group=rec.arts.tv#142266

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 14:03:16 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 21:03 UTC

On 4/30/2022 1:49 PM, Micky DuPree wrote:
> Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> writes:
>
>> Atlanta (FX) - "Cancer Attack" - I continue to find the official
>> episode descriptions to be a central part of the episode itself. The
>> episode description for this one says, "Sometimes shows just be over
>> my head acting fake deep. Where's the poop jokes?" Anyway the regular
>> casts returns for this episode which focuses on "Paper Boi" searching
>> for his missing phone. There's a bit more to it than that. This
>> episode was both funny and "deep" at the same time. I'm not sure what
>> was funnier, searching the child who had just had a "cancer attack" or
>> interrogating the guy who *clearly* stole the phone. At one point
>> after the alleged thief says he doesn't have a cellphone, he casually
>> pulls a phone out of his pocket to send a text message then put it
>> back in without comment. Although I did see one online theory that the
>> new member of their entourage is who really stole the phone. Atlanta
>> is one of those shows you have to seek out online analysis of the
>> episode when it's over and there are no shortage of those.
>
> The white member of the entourage, the one who had the most over-the-top
> reactions to the "nephew," took out a phone that fit the description at
> the end and tossed it in the trash before he got on the tour bus, so
> it's more than a theory.

I completely missed that!

Exactly why he stole it and then threw it away
> went right over my head, though. I didn't notice him having any
> particular beef with Paper Boi earlier. The only thing I could see that
> he got out of it was the chance to posture as "the white Liam Neeson."
>
> I'm glad they're back to the regular cast. I don't have the patience
> for anthology series anymore.
>
> -Micky

Your patience will be tried this season...