From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-05-01 (Sunday)
Date: Mon, 2 May 2022 08:14:48 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Mon, 2 May 2022 15:14 UTC

On 5/2/2022 5:55 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> On 2022-05-02 08:30:41 +0000, Ubiquitous said:
>
>> What did you watch?
>
> I actually got through grading yesterday, so not much...:
>
> soaps: GH - Fri's ep. They are really stringing this out - after telling
> Brando what happened, Sasha tracks down Willow and privately informs
> Willow that she ran over her mom! Only at the end does Carly show up to
> tell Willow how it all went down... The scuzzy reporter Schmoltz goes
> after Brando, re: Sasha's accident, and Brando almost pounds the dude,
> and then not so subtly threatens him (Schmoltz is tiny, so this does the
> trick!!). The rest of this was Nikolas trying to make up with Ava, and
> Spencer has to try to calm insane EVOL!!1! Esme down after Esme goes
> after NuTrina (who must be *tiny tiny!* as even tiny Esme towers over
> her!).
>   DOOL - Well at least there was progress here! After remembering (with
> God's help!) that the Devil whiped her memory, silly Susan Banks takes
> EJ to the crypt where they find the captive Johnny and Ben Weston, and
> Susan "vanquishes" Zombie Andre DiMera. While EJ takes a weakened Johnny
> to the hospital, Ben races home to try to save Ciara, but only finds
> Rafe and the groggy Jake. Demon Allie tries to hustle Ciara out of town,
> but meets resistance (at once point I thought dumb Ciara had figured out
> Allie was the Devil - but, no: Ciara is too dumb!!). The stuff with
> Tripp and NuChanel was pukeworthy!
>
> golf - Jon Rahm wins the Mexican Open. (The Mexican Open is new this
> year - for years before this, there was an event in Mexico, the WGC
> Championship, but it looks like that ended in 2021...)
>
> I also rewatched "How I Met Your Murderer" on LMN - it's a decent enough
> thriller, even if the identity of the villain is obvious.

I watched:

Anatomy of a Murder (4K disc) 1959 courtroom drama directed by Otto
Preminger and starring James Stewart as a simple country lawyer who
defends a soldier (Ben Gazzara) accused of murdering a man who allegedly
raped the soldier's wife (Lee Remick) by pleading temporary insanity.
George C. Scott also co-stars as one of the prosecuting attorneys. It
was a good movie. I had never watched or even heard of it before I got
the disc. But it was part of a 4K box set which is how it wound up in
my collection. And now I finally get this reference:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aiCbbYU9_s

Patton (blu-0ray) 1970 war biopic pic directed by Francis Ford Coppola
and starring George C. Scott as Patton. The movie holds up very well.
And the picture quality on this old blu-ray is great.

Firestarter (blu-ray) 1984 sci-fi movie based on the Stephen King novel
starring Drew Barrymore as a young girl with the ability to start fires.
She on the run with her father (David Keith) from a shady government
agency. George C. Scott co-stars as a ruthless hitman who befriends the
girl just so she can look at him as friend before he murders her. he
movie holds up well enough and the commentary on the disc wasn't as bad
as the blu-ray review claimed it would be. There is a remake scheduled
for simultaneous theatrical and streaming release on Peackock in a
couple of weeks. But oddly I've seen almost no advertising for it,
other than a poster at my local theater and a couple of emails from the
streaming service.

The Blacklist - "Laszlo Jancowics" - Red searches for Mr. Kaplan while
the team deals with a psycho hyped up on LSD. I didn't give it my full
attention.

Winning Time: The Rise of the Lakers Dynasty - "Acceptable Loss" - In
the penultimate episode the team works their way to the playoffs(?)
while the boss has to decide which coach to keep. Meanwhile after a
player is cut from the team for drug use he hires a hit man to murder
the team. I know this is based on real events, but I have to wonder if
that really happened. Obviously the team wasn't all taken out, but even
the plot would seem to be big enough news that I would have heard about
it before now. On the other hand this is 1980 so maybe it was huge news
for a year or two but well before I would have been aware.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-05-01 (Sunday)

<t4p10b$btd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=142304&group=rec.arts.tv#142304

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 2 May 2022 09:31:05 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Mon, 2 May 2022 16:31 UTC

On 5/2/2022 8:39 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>> I watched:
>>

>> Anatomy of a Murder (4K disc) 1959 courtroom drama directed by Otto
>> Preminger and starring James Stewart as a simple country lawyer who
>> defends a soldier (Ben Gazzara) accused of murdering a man who allegedly
>> raped the soldier's wife (Lee Remick) by pleading temporary insanity.
>> George C. Scott also co-stars as one of the prosecuting attorneys. It
>> was a good movie. I had never watched or even heard of it before I got
>> the disc.
>
> I’ve heard the title for decades but I’d never seen a frame of it until a
> couple months ago when TCM showed it. The host went on some about what a
> hot tamale Lee Remick was and boy was he right. Good flick full of good
> people giving good performances. The black and white didn’t bother you?

Not particularly. It has an excellent new 4K print. Although I do
prefer color, I'll watch black and white if I have to. Plus a few weeks
back people in this group were saying it's a really good movie so I was
looking forward to watching it.

Speaking of black and white vs. color, I was going through my DVR
looking for movies to delete unwatched. And I saw that I just recorded
a 1946 version of Henry V off of TCM. At 2 1/2 hours long and being
from 1946 it looked like a prime movie to delete unwatched. Then I
sampled it for a moment and saw that it's in color. And not old grainy
color, but vibrant color. That caught my interest. So I decided to
hold off on deleting it for now.

> But it was part of a 4K box set which is how it wound up in
>> my collection. And now I finally get this reference:
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aiCbbYU9_s
>
> Heh
>

>> Firestarter (blu-ray) 1984 sci-fi movie based on the Stephen King novel
>> starring Drew Barrymore as a young girl with the ability to start fires.
>> She on the run with her father (David Keith) from a shady government
>> agency. George C. Scott co-stars as a ruthless hitman
>
> Today they’d never let Scott play an Indian.

On the commentary track the director said they were always going to hire
Scott, but the studio made them interview hundreds of Native American
actors just so they could say they tried. But he also tried to claim
that there just weren't any good Native American actors.

Also on the track the director said in the original script there were
several different hit men for the various scenes but then after thinking
about the million dollars they were playing Scott for his role they
might as well have him take over all of those smaller roles so every
time a hit man shows up it's him instead of an unknown one off actor.
Scott loved the idea.

> who befriends the
>> girl just so she can look at him as friend before he murders her. he
>> movie holds up well enough and the commentary on the disc wasn't as bad
>> as the blu-ray review claimed it would be.
>
> The book ends with them taking Charlie to the only news organization in the
> world you can trust THE ROLLING STONE. I don’t recall what they did in the
> movie.

The New York Times.

I wonder what news organization Stephen King thinks you can trust in
> 2022?
>

> There is a remake scheduled
>> for simultaneous theatrical and streaming release on Peackock in a
>> couple of weeks. But oddly I've seen almost no advertising for it,
>> other than a poster at my local theater and a couple of emails from the
>> streaming service.
>
> That’s the first I’ve heard of it.
> Added to my watchlist, along with the peacock recommended firestarter
> rekindled series which I’ve never seen a frame of either.

Rekindled was a made for SyFy movie starring Malcolm McDowell as the
villain. I know I saw it, but I don't remember it.

> Thanks for the heads up!
>

>> The Blacklist - "Laszlo Jancowics" - Red searches for Mr. Kaplan while
>> the team deals with a psycho hyped up on LSD. I didn't give it my full
>> attention.
>
> Tonight THE ENDGAME comes to, um, an end.
>
> Whether it gets renewed or not.

I may be done with the show whether it's renewed or not.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-05-01 (Sunday)

<t4pfun$mj0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=142307&group=rec.arts.tv#142307

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 2 May 2022 13:46:13 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Mon, 2 May 2022 20:46 UTC

On 5/2/2022 11:28 AM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
> Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
>
>> Anatomy of a Murder (4K disc) 1959 courtroom drama directed by Otto
>> Preminger and starring James Stewart as a simple country lawyer who
>> defends a soldier (Ben Gazzara) accused of murdering a man who allegedly
>> raped the soldier's wife (Lee Remick) by pleading temporary insanity.
>> George C. Scott also co-stars as one of the prosecuting attorneys. It
>> was a good movie. I had never watched or even heard of it before I got
>> the disc. But it was part of a 4K box set which is how it wound up in
>> my collection.
>
> Yay! I'm so glad you finally watched this. It's a terrific movie. The
> only thing I never liked was the Arthur O'Connell character, too much
> over the top. Scott had only just started acting. This was his first
> movie, I think, and he was nominated for an Oscar.
>
> I've mentioned before that the judge was stunt casting, Joseph N. Welch
> who was the lawyer for the Army in the Army-McCarthy hearings.

He performed the role of the judge great for a non actor. I never
suspected he wasn't a professional actor.

>> And now I finally get this reference:
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aiCbbYU9_s
>
>> Patton (blu-ray) 1970 war biopic pic directed by Francis Ford Coppola
>> and starring George C. Scott as Patton. The movie holds up very well.
>> And the picture quality on this old blu-ray is great.
>
> Scott is terrific and so famously despised the movie's glorification of war
> he refused to show up to receive his Oscar.
>
> I never entirely took the movie as nothing but glorification of war.
> It's about a man who took war seriously and was very good at his job.
> Other people didn't take war seriously enough and he couldn't understand
> this attitude, the opposite of Alan Alda's Hawkeye Pierce, for whom war
> was an inconvenience for him personally (like Scarlett O'Hara in Gone
> With the Wind).

I didn't really see the movie as glorifying war. I also didn't think of
Patton as the only one who took the war seriously. If anything I think
part of the problem is a lot of people didn't take Patton seriously with
all of his reincarnation talk and showboating. It was only the Germans
who feared what he could do. I liked the bit where the Germans refused
to believe the American propaganda that they would remove their best
general from the fight over slapping a soldier.

>> The Blacklist - "Laszlo Jancowics" - Red searches for Mr. Kaplan while
>> the team deals with a psycho hyped up on LSD. I didn't give it my full
>> attention.
>
> The backstory has been completely retconned! Never before has that
> happened on this show!

I can't keep track any more. What did they change? If I had to guess
I'd say didn't Red Shoot Mr. Kaplan? At least that's how I remembered it.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-05-01 (Sunday)

<t4pu53$7o0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=142310&group=rec.arts.tv#142310

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 2 May 2022 17:48:32 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Tue, 3 May 2022 00:48 UTC

On 5/2/2022 4:59 PM, super70s wrote:
> In article <t4osh9$j8t$1@dont-email.me>,
> Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
>
>> I watched:
>>

>> Anatomy of a Murder (4K disc) 1959 courtroom drama directed by Otto
>> Preminger and starring James Stewart as a simple country lawyer who
>> defends a soldier (Ben Gazzara) accused of murdering a man who allegedly
>> raped the soldier's wife (Lee Remick) by pleading temporary insanity.
>> George C. Scott also co-stars as one of the prosecuting attorneys. It
>> was a good movie. I had never watched or even heard of it before I got
>> the disc. But it was part of a 4K box set which is how it wound up in
>> my collection. And now I finally get this reference:
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aiCbbYU9_s
>>

>> Patton (blu-0ray) 1970 war biopic pic directed by Francis Ford Coppola
>> and starring George C. Scott as Patton. The movie holds up very well.
>> And the picture quality on this old blu-ray is great.
>>

>> Firestarter (blu-ray) 1984 sci-fi movie based on the Stephen King novel
>> starring Drew Barrymore as a young girl with the ability to start fires.
>> She on the run with her father (David Keith) from a shady government
>> agency. George C. Scott co-stars as a ruthless hitman who befriends the
>> girl just so she can look at him as friend before he murders her. he
>> movie holds up well enough and the commentary on the disc wasn't as bad
>> as the blu-ray review claimed it would be. There is a remake scheduled
>> for simultaneous theatrical and streaming release on Peackock in a
>> couple of weeks. But oddly I've seen almost no advertising for it,
>> other than a poster at my local theater and a couple of emails from the
>> streaming service.
>
> Have you ever seen The Changeling with George C. Scott (and his wife
> Trish Van Devere), neat little horror story and a Canadian production as
> I remember. I found the DVD real cheap several years ago at Dollar
> General Store. I think I first saw it on HBO in the early '80s. Not to
> be confused with Changeling from 2008 with Angelina Jolie.

It's a familiar sounding name, but I don't think I've ever seen it
before. I've never rented it from Netflix and that helps me narrow it
down to a probably no.