From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re:_New_Doctor_Who_Revealed:_‘Sex_Education
’_Star_Ncuti_Gatwa_Will_Replace_Jodie_Whittaker
Date: Sun, 8 May 2022 14:04:42 -0400
 by: Rhino - Sun, 8 May 2022 18:04 UTC

On 2022-05-08 1:46 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> https://deadline.com/2022/05/ncuti-gatwa-doctor-who-sex-education-jodie-whittaker-1235018772/
>
> New Doctor Who Revealed: ‘Sex Education’ Star Ncuti Gatwa Will Replace
> Jodie Whittaker
>
> Ncuti Gatwa will be the new Doctor, taking over from Jodie Whittaker as the
> Time Lord in Doctor Who.
>
> The show’s official Twitter account shared the news today, writing: “The
> future is here! Ncuti Gatwa is the Doctor.”
>
> Gatwa will become the 14th Doctor of the series and the first black actor
> to play the role.
>
> Established in theatre as well as on screen, Gatwa’s breakthrough came in
> Netflix comedy drama Sex Education, playing Eric Effiong, a role for which
> he was awarded Best Actor Award at the Scottish BAFTAs in 2020 as well as a
> BAFTA nomination for Best Male Performance in a comedy programme this year.
>

> Speaking of his new role, Gatwa said: “There aren’t quite the words to
> describe how I’m feeling. A mix of deeply honoured, beyond excited and of
> course a little bit scared. This role and show means so much to so many
> around the world, including myself, and each one of my incredibly talented
> predecessors has handled that unique responsibility and privilege with the
> utmost care. I will endeavour my upmost to do the same.
>
> “Russell T Davies is almost as iconic as the Doctor himself and being able
> to work with him is a dream come true. His writing is dynamic, exciting,
> incredibly intelligent and fizzing with danger. An actor’s metaphorical
> playground.
>
> “The entire team have been so welcoming and truly give their hearts to the
> show. And so as much as it’s daunting, I’m aware I’m joining a really
> supportive family. Unlike the Doctor, I may only have one heart but I am
> giving it all to this show.”
>
> Returning showrunner Russell T Davies added: “The future is here and it’s
> Ncuti! Sometimes talent walks through the door and it’s so bright and bold
> and brilliant, I just stand back in awe and thank my lucky stars. Ncuti
> dazzled us, seized hold of the Doctor and owned those TARDIS keys in
> seconds. It’s an honour to work with him, and a hoot, I can’t wait to get
> started. I’m sure you’re dying to know more, but we’re rationing ourselves
> for now, with the wonderful Jodie’s epic finale yet to come. But I promise
> you, 2023 will be spectacular!”
>
> BBC Chief Content Officer Charlotte Moore said: “Ncuti has an incredible
> dynamism, he’s a striking and fearless young actor whose talent and energy
> will set the world alight and take Doctor Who on extraordinary adventures
> under Russell T Davies’ new era.”
>
> Whittaker took over as the Time Lord in 2017 as the first female doctor.
>
> Davies was previously credited for the show’s renaissance after his
> previous stint as showrunner. He also wrote the Channel 4 drama It’s A Sin,
> the leading nominee in today’s BAFTA TV Awards.

I wonder if there will ever be another white male Doctor Who? I'll bet
it's a long time away at best as the TV producers dwell on the moral
imperitave of being "woke".

Also, the character that Ncuti Gatwa plays on Sex Education is
flamboyantly gay. I have no idea if that is Gatwa's real life preference
but I wonder if he'll bring that to Doctor Who as well? Of course, I
understand that box was already checked once before with Torchwood but a
second time would prove to any doubters that this wasn't a fluke and
that the producers really are "cool" with gay.

--
Rhino

Re: New Doctor Who Revealed: 'Sex Education' Star Ncuti Gatwa Will Replace Jodie Whittaker

<t59c0a$94qs$2@solani.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=142447&group=rec.arts.tv#142447

From: suz...@imbris.com (suzeeq)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: New Doctor Who Revealed: 'Sex Education' Star Ncuti Gatwa Will
Replace Jodie Whittaker
Date: Sun, 8 May 2022 14:16:58 -0700
 by: suzeeq - Sun, 8 May 2022 21:16 UTC

On 5/8/2022 2:12 PM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> On 2022-05-08 19:38:26 +0000, Adam H. Kerman said:
>
>> BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

>>> No, she was a good companion. The last really good companion was the
>>> Impossible Girl.
>>
>> I didn't watch her on Dr. Who because she was a companion, but because
>> she was Jenna Coleman. Her character got wrecked in the Peter Capaldi
>> era, especially with the introduction of the worst boyfriend ever, Danny
>> Pink.
>>
>> I watched Victoria for her, and that show is lousy despite the
>> Impossibly Cute Girl starring in it.
>
> Wow, you just reminded me - they just totally *dropped* "Victoria" after
> season #3. The series was begging for a followup season (probably with a
> cast change), but apparently they've dropped any idea of doing that.
>
> Another f***ing show that basically ends on a cliffanger.  >:/

They still plan on going on, but pandemic got in the way.

Re: New Doctor Who Revealed: 'Sex Education' Star Ncuti Gatwa Will Replace Jodie Whittaker

<t59ddu$95o3$1@solani.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=142448&group=rec.arts.tv#142448

From: suz...@imbris.com (suzeeq)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Replace Jodie Whittaker
Date: Sun, 8 May 2022 14:41:17 -0700
 by: suzeeq - Sun, 8 May 2022 21:41 UTC

On 5/8/2022 2:35 PM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> On 2022-05-08 21:16:58 +0000, suzeeq said:

>>> Wow, you just reminded me - they just totally *dropped* "Victoria"
>>> after season #3. The series was begging for a followup season
>>> (probably with a cast change), but apparently they've dropped any
>>> idea of doing that.
>>>
>>> Another f***ing show that basically ends on a cliffanger.  >:/
>>
>> They still plan on going on, but pandemic got in the way.
>
> That's not what Wiki is implying...

That's what I thought I heard, but it may have been a while ago.