Everybody likes a kidder, but nobody lends him money. -- Arthur Miller

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: Pro-choicers picket Pelosi's house, claim Democrats are "complicit" in potential overhaul of Roe v. Wade

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Pro-choicers picket Pelosi's house, claim Democrats aremoviePig
+* Re: Pro-choicers picket Pelosi's house, claim Democrats aresuzeeq
|+- Re: Pro-choicers picket Pelosi's house, claim Democrats aremoviePig
|`* Re: Pro-choicers picket Pelosi's house, claim Democrats aresuzeeq
| `* Re: Pro-choicers picket Pelosi's house, claim Democrats aresuzeeq
|  `- Re: Pro-choicers picket Pelosi's house, claim Democrats aresuzeeq
`* Re: Pro-choicers picket Pelosi's house, claim Democrats aremoviePig
 `- Re: Pro-choicers picket Pelosi's house, claim Democrats aremoviePig

1
Re: Pro-choicers picket Pelosi's house, claim Democrats are "complicit" in potential overhaul of Roe v. Wade

<6dcfK.7581$pqKf.6672@fx12.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=142476&group=rec.arts.tv#142476

Subject: Re: Pro-choicers picket Pelosi's house, claim Democrats are
"complicit" in potential overhaul of Roe v. Wade
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 14:19:45 -0400
 by: moviePig - Thu, 12 May 2022 18:19 UTC

On 5/12/2022 1:51 PM, shawn wrote:
> On Thu, 12 May 2022 10:27:50 -0700, The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca>
> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 11 May 2022 22:41:16 -0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman"
>> <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

>>> A woman so desperate to have an abortion that she'd travel a great
>>> distance to have one is the obvious example.
>>
>> Lots of places in the US where interstate travel isn't a long trip -
>> Baltimore <-> DC, NYC <-> most anywhere other than straight north
>
> The thing is that most of those states that are close together are
> also the states where abortions will still be allowed. It's the other
> states that aren't so close together where getting an abortion may be
> more of an issue. (Just look at a map of Red vs Blue states.)

"Get pregnant. See the world!..."

Re: Pro-choicers picket Pelosi's house, claim Democrats are "complicit" in potential overhaul of Roe v. Wade

<t5jno1$e6ck$1@solani.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=142481&group=rec.arts.tv#142481

From: suz...@imbris.com (suzeeq)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
"complicit" in potential overhaul of Roe v. Wade
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 12:38:40 -0700
 by: suzeeq - Thu, 12 May 2022 19:38 UTC

On 5/12/2022 12:38 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> In article <2nkq7hdgrcns4rleo5ppgjonlce7i5bh0u@4ax.com>,
> shawn <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 12 May 2022 14:19:45 -0400, moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
>> wrote:

>>> "Get pregnant. See the world!..."
>>
>> Imagine being pregnant in a few months, wanting an abortion, poor with
>> no vehicle and living in the middle of Texas. It's hundreds of miles
>> to get to another state that will likely also ban abortions assuming
>> the Supreme Court decision goes as expected.
>
> Greyhound isn't all that expensive.

But takes time. What if you only have one day off work?

Re: Pro-choicers picket Pelosi's house, claim Democrats are "complicit" in potential overhaul of Roe v. Wade

<FjefK.7804$pqKf.5752@fx12.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=142485&group=rec.arts.tv#142485

"complicit" in potential overhaul of Roe v. Wade
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 16:43:15 -0400
 by: moviePig - Thu, 12 May 2022 20:43 UTC

On 5/12/2022 4:06 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> On May 12, 2022 at 12:38:40 PM PDT, "suzeeq" <suzee@imbris.com> wrote:
>
>> On 5/12/2022 12:38 PM, BTR1701 wrote:

>>> Greyhound isn't all that expensive.
>>>
>> But takes time. What if you only have one day off work?
>
> Oh, god, we can play what-ifs forever.

What if... SCOTUS respected personal freedom from the tyranny of others'
religious convictions? You're right, too fanciful...

Re: Pro-choicers picket Pelosi's house, claim Democrats are "complicit" in potential overhaul of Roe v. Wade

<SpefK.2506$x1Wf.567@fx10.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=142487&group=rec.arts.tv#142487

"complicit" in potential overhaul of Roe v. Wade
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 16:49:53 -0400
 by: moviePig - Thu, 12 May 2022 20:49 UTC

On 5/12/2022 2:34 PM, shawn wrote:
> On Thu, 12 May 2022 14:19:45 -0400, moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 5/12/2022 1:51 PM, shawn wrote:

>>> The thing is that most of those states that are close together are
>>> also the states where abortions will still be allowed. It's the other
>>> states that aren't so close together where getting an abortion may be
>>> more of an issue. (Just look at a map of Red vs Blue states.)
>>
>> "Get pregnant. See the world!..."
>
> Imagine being pregnant in a few months, wanting an abortion, poor with
> no vehicle and living in the middle of Texas. It's hundreds of miles
> to get to another state that will likely also ban abortions assuming
> the Supreme Court decision goes as expected.

Isn't relatively enlightened Austin in the middle of Texas? Maybe a
clandestine oasis of sanity will spring up on its back streets.

Re: Pro-choicers picket Pelosi's house, claim Democrats are "complicit" in potential overhaul of Roe v. Wade

<t5jv1s$fiee$1@solani.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=142488&group=rec.arts.tv#142488

From: suz...@imbris.com (suzeeq)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
"complicit" in potential overhaul of Roe v. Wade
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 14:43:21 -0700
 by: suzeeq - Thu, 12 May 2022 21:43 UTC

On 5/12/2022 1:06 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> On May 12, 2022 at 12:38:40 PM PDT, "suzeeq" <suzee@imbris.com> wrote:
>
>> On 5/12/2022 12:38 PM, BTR1701 wrote:

>>> Greyhound isn't all that expensive.
>>>
>> But takes time. What if you only have one day off work?
>
> Oh, god, we can play what-ifs forever.

No, this is a real scenario. If a person has to take a bus into another
state it's because they have a lower income, which means they need to
take time off work. You know how large TX itself is, would take many
hours by bus from the southern or middle part of the state to get to a
border state, much less travel across a couple more states to get to a
clinic. Then they're not going to be able to just hop on the bus to go
home because an abortion is like surgery, there's a recovery period.
That's going to take several days and they likely would lose their job
for taking that much time off work.

Re: Pro-choicers picket Pelosi's house, claim Democrats are "complicit" in potential overhaul of Roe v. Wade

<uWffK.1253$j0D5.174@fx09.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=142489&group=rec.arts.tv#142489

"complicit" in potential overhaul of Roe v. Wade
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 18:32:57 -0400
 by: moviePig - Thu, 12 May 2022 22:32 UTC

On 5/12/2022 5:38 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> On May 12, 2022 at 1:49:53 PM PDT, "moviePig" <pwallace@moviepig.com> wrote:
>
>> On 5/12/2022 2:34 PM, shawn wrote:

>>> Imagine being pregnant in a few months, wanting an abortion, poor with
>>> no vehicle and living in the middle of Texas. It's hundreds of miles
>>> to get to another state that will likely also ban abortions assuming
>>> the Supreme Court decision goes as expected.
>>
>> Isn't relatively enlightened Austin in the middle of Texas? Maybe a
>> clandestine oasis of sanity will spring up on its back streets.
>
> If by enlightened, you mean the only city in Texas which allows vagrants to
> break any law they like, take over public sidewalks and parks with their
> encampments and garbage mountains, openly use drugs and commit lewd acts in
> public, even near schools, and allows them to victimize legitimate taxpaying
> citizens before dying in streets covered in their own filth, yes. Austin is
> enlightened. The mayor of Austin actually came to Los Angeles to get pointers
> from our own architect of failure-- Eric Garcetti-- on how to handle vagrants.
> That's like having the designer of the Hindenburg host a "Best Practices with
> Dirigibles" conference.

Pretty sure that, to get a safe abortion, most women would willingly
endure some temporary proximity to vagrants.

Re: Pro-choicers picket Pelosi's house, claim Democrats are "complicit" in potential overhaul of Roe v. Wade

<t5k7q8$fms4$1@solani.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=142491&group=rec.arts.tv#142491

From: suz...@imbris.com (suzeeq)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
"complicit" in potential overhaul of Roe v. Wade
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 17:12:52 -0700
 by: suzeeq - Fri, 13 May 2022 00:12 UTC

On 5/12/2022 3:29 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> On May 12, 2022 at 2:43:21 PM PDT, "suzeeq" <suzee@imbris.com> wrote:

>>> Oh, god, we can play what-ifs forever.
>>>

>> No, this is a real scenario.
>
> Yes, but the law can't consider every single possible scenario that could
> affect someone somewhere.
>
> The voter ID is racist" crowd does the same thing. When you ask who these
> people are who can somehow live in modern society without any kind of ID and
> who can't find or get to the DMV, yet they somehow manage to meet all their
> other responsibilities vis-a-vis the government, they say, "Well, what about
> the blind hermit who lives in a cave in the Mojave desert? What about him?!?!?
> How is he supposed to get an ID?"
>
>> If a person has to take a bus into another
>> state it's because they have a lower income, which means they need to
>> take time off work. You know how large TX itself is, would take many
>> hours by bus from the southern or middle part of the state to get to a
>> border state, much less travel across a couple more states to get to a
>> clinic. Then they're not going to be able to just hop on the bus to go
>> home because an abortion is like surgery, there's a recovery period.
>> That's going to take several days and they likely would lose their job
>> for taking that much time off work.
>
> Okay, so even if Roe is upheld, what about the blind hermitess who lives in a
> cave in the Mojave desert and is raped by a gang of illegals while out
> prospecting for gold one day? How is she supposed to get her abortion even if
> Roe is in effect? I mean, if the law is supposed to take into account every
> conceivable hardship someone may have in getting an abortion, then something
> must be done for the blind cave-dwelling hermitesses even in states where
> abortion remains legal or rights are being violated, no?

Who would know about her except the gang of illegals?

Geeze, now you're the one playing 'what about'. But taking it to an
extreme absurdity. Ed's right, you're doing it because it's
anti-Democrat and you're all for that.

Re: Pro-choicers picket Pelosi's house, claim Democrats are "complicit" in potential overhaul of Roe v. Wade

<t5k92g$fnbq$1@solani.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=142492&group=rec.arts.tv#142492

From: suz...@imbris.com (suzeeq)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
"complicit" in potential overhaul of Roe v. Wade
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 17:34:23 -0700
 by: suzeeq - Fri, 13 May 2022 00:34 UTC

On 5/12/2022 5:18 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> On May 12, 2022 at 5:12:52 PM PDT, "suzeeq" <suzee@imbris.com> wrote:

>>> Yes, but the law can't consider every single possible scenario that could
>>> affect someone somewhere.
>>>
>>> The voter ID is racist" crowd does the same thing. When you ask who these
>>> people are who can somehow live in modern society without any kind of ID and
>>> who can't find or get to the DMV, yet they somehow manage to meet all their
>>> other responsibilities vis-a-vis the government, they say, "Well, what about
>>> the blind hermit who lives in a cave in the Mojave desert? What about
>>> him?!?!?
>>> How is he supposed to get an ID?"

>>> Okay, so even if Roe is upheld, what about the blind hermitess who lives in
>>> cave in the Mojave desert and is raped by a gang of illegals while out
>>> prospecting for gold one day? How is she supposed to get her abortion even
>>> if
>>> Roe is in effect? I mean, if the law is supposed to take into account every
>>> conceivable hardship someone may have in getting an abortion, then something
>>> must be done for the blind cave-dwelling hermitesses even in states where
>>> abortion remains legal or rights are being violated, no?
>>>

>> Who would know about her except the gang of illegals?
>
> How is that relevant? Every conceivable hardship has to be accounted for,
> right?
>
>> Geeze, now you're the one playing 'what about'. But taking it to an
>> extreme absurdity.
>
> LOL! Yes, that was the point. To show how absurd that tactic is.

I didn't post an absurd idea, it will become a real life situation. For
many women.