Nice boy, but about as sharp as a sack of wet mice. -- Foghorn Leghorn

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: It’s violent, it’s chaotic, it’s beautiful

SubjectAuthor
* Re: It’s violent, it’s chaotic, it’smoviePig
`* Re: It’s violent, it’s chaotic, it’smoviePig
 +- Re: It’s violent, it’s chaotic, it’s bemoviePig
 `- Re: It’s violent, it’s chaotic, it’ssuzeeq

1
Re: It’s violent, it’s chaotic, it’s beautiful

<Yd9gK.5626$cQO2.2554@fx47.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=142527&group=rec.arts.tv#142527

Subject: Re: It’s violent, it’s chaotic, it’s
_beautiful
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Sun, 15 May 2022 11:44:53 -0400
 by: moviePig - Sun, 15 May 2022 15:44 UTC

On 5/15/2022 9:29 AM, chromebook test wrote:
> Violent video games have become embedded within American culture over the past several decades and especially since 9/11. First-person shooters, in particular, have become increasingly popular.
>
> These games – in which players are positioned behind a gun – have turned a generation of kids into digital warriors who fight terrorists and battle alien invaders. Many play first-person shooters for pure, innocent enjoyment. Some like achieving objectives and being a part of a team. And, for others, it simply feels good to eliminate an enemy – especially someone who’s trying to harm them.
>
> For the U.S. military, the rise of first-person shooters has been a welcome development. In recent years, the military has encouraged many of its soldiers to partake in the thrill of violent video games as a way to continue combat training, even when not on active duty. (In fact, using games to teach military tactics has been a longstanding practice in the U.S. military: Before video games, troops were encouraged to play military-themed board games.)
>
> The games allow soldiers to take their combat roles home with them and blur their on-duty responsibilities with their off-duty, noncombat routines and lives.
>
> Analysis of the world, from experts
> But what effect have these video games had on U.S. soldiers? How accurately do they depict military life? And do they actually help recruit, train and retain troops?
>
> From battle screen to battlefield
> As part of a study, we interviewed 15 current and former members of the U.S. military who were between 24 and 35 years old to understand the role violent first-person shooter games played in their recruitment and training.
>
> The majority of interviewees told us it was important to stay in the mindset of a soldier even when not on duty. To them, first-person shooters were the perfect vehicle for doing this.
>
> Game preferences varied among the soldiers we interviewed, but popular titles included “Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2” and “ARMA 2,” which a current member of the Army said was “one of the most hardcore assault experiences in gaming.”
>
> Meanwhile, an Iraq War veteran described “Call of Duty: Black Ops 2” and “Call of Duty: Modern Warfare” as “the ultimate first-person shooter experiences ever” and “intensive and highly realistic approaches to tactical combat. The choice of attacking with stealth or unleashing an all-out frontal assault full of mayhem is yours. It’s violent, it’s chaotic, it’s beautiful.”
>

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pz-pCWFIv40
>
> https://www.google.com/search?q=military+sponsor+violent+video+game

Makes you think twice about video-games and kids...

Re: It’s violent, it’s chaotic, it’s beautiful

<jX9gK.5035$tTK.2793@fx97.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=142530&group=rec.arts.tv#142530

_beautiful
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Sun, 15 May 2022 12:33:16 -0400
 by: moviePig - Sun, 15 May 2022 16:33 UTC

On 5/15/2022 11:53 AM, chromebook test wrote:
> [...]
>

>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pz-pCWFIv40
>

>>> https://www.google.com/search?q=military+sponsor+violent+video+game
>> Makes you think twice about video-games and kids...
>

> VIOLENT video games, yes. I swear, I hate restrictive laws, but somebody, hopefully parents are looking at these brutal games and giving guidance to their kids.
>

> BTW, I won't post link to Buffalo massacre, but the above 1st person shooter video game link is darn close to what happened. Makes me sick anyone would cold blooded murder people just shopping for groceries.

From a while back, I recall a sensible-seeming study that dismissed
concerns about kids watching violent movies, because kids show awareness
of the difference between fiction and reality (...which I still accept,
and I raised my kids accordingly). However, building mayhem into one's
subliminal instincts, like hours/days immersed in a quick-reaction video
game might do, sounds like sneaking the Devil in through the back door.

Re: It’s violent, it’s chaotic, it’s beautiful

<fregK.5746$cQO2.4530@fx47.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=142541&group=rec.arts.tv#142541

Subject: Re: It’s violent, it’s chaotic, it’s be
autiful
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Sun, 15 May 2022 17:40:24 -0400
 by: moviePig - Sun, 15 May 2022 21:40 UTC

On 5/15/2022 5:19 PM, The Horny Goat wrote:
> On Sun, 15 May 2022 12:33:16 -0400, moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
> wrote:

>>> VIOLENT video games, yes. I swear, I hate restrictive laws, but somebody, hopefully parents are looking at these brutal games and giving guidance to their kids.
>>>

>>> BTW, I won't post link to Buffalo massacre, but the above 1st person shooter video game link is darn close to what happened. Makes me sick anyone would cold blooded murder people just shopping for groceries.
>>
>> From a while back, I recall a sensible-seeming study that dismissed
>> concerns about kids watching violent movies, because kids show awareness
>> of the difference between fiction and reality (...which I still accept,
>> and I raised my kids accordingly). However, building mayhem into one's
>> subliminal instincts, like hours/days immersed in a quick-reaction video
>> game might do, sounds like sneaking the Devil in through the back door.
>
> Ahhh - but what's violent? I remember a chat with my mother way back
> when the kids were 9, 7 and 5 when the kids were playing SimAnt and
> doing some fairly sadistic things to those ants.
>
> Mom was concerned even after I told her my kids (now in their 30s and
> pretty decent adults) knew very well the difference between REAL
> animals and between electronic dots on a screen and if she had any
> concerns about how they treated the family dog or cat she should tell
> me quick though I thought the animals were at more risk of being
> spoiled rotten than abused.
>
> No question what the kids were doing to those "ants" was highly
> creative in a sadistic way (and the 3 of them egged each other on to
> new levels of nastiness) but their real pets got the royal treatment
> though one wonders if my son ever forgave the dog for stealing the
> wiener out of his hot dog when he was 3!

--------
....“Stupid goose,” said the old woman, “the opening is big enough,
do you see? I could get in myself!” and she stooped down and put
her head in the oven’s mouth. Then Gretel gave her a push, so that
she went in farther, and she shut the iron door upon her, and put
up the bar. Oh how frightfully she howled! ...
--------

Re: It’s violent, it’s chaotic, it’s beautiful

<t5s680$ki9i$1@solani.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=142543&group=rec.arts.tv#142543

From: suz...@imbris.com (suzeeq)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
_beautiful
Date: Sun, 15 May 2022 17:35:12 -0700
 by: suzeeq - Mon, 16 May 2022 00:35 UTC

On 5/15/2022 2:19 PM, The Horny Goat wrote:
> On Sun, 15 May 2022 12:33:16 -0400, moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
> wrote:

>>> VIOLENT video games, yes. I swear, I hate restrictive laws, but somebody, hopefully parents are looking at these brutal games and giving guidance to their kids.
>>>

>>> BTW, I won't post link to Buffalo massacre, but the above 1st person shooter video game link is darn close to what happened. Makes me sick anyone would cold blooded murder people just shopping for groceries.
>>
>> From a while back, I recall a sensible-seeming study that dismissed
>> concerns about kids watching violent movies, because kids show awareness
>> of the difference between fiction and reality (...which I still accept,
>> and I raised my kids accordingly). However, building mayhem into one's
>> subliminal instincts, like hours/days immersed in a quick-reaction video
>> game might do, sounds like sneaking the Devil in through the back door.
>
> Ahhh - but what's violent? I remember a chat with my mother way back
> when the kids were 9, 7 and 5 when the kids were playing SimAnt and
> doing some fairly sadistic things to those ants.
>
> Mom was concerned even after I told her my kids (now in their 30s and
> pretty decent adults) knew very well the difference between REAL
> animals and between electronic dots on a screen and if she had any
> concerns about how they treated the family dog or cat she should tell
> me quick though I thought the animals were at more risk of being
> spoiled rotten than abused.
>
> No question what the kids were doing to those "ants" was highly
> creative in a sadistic way (and the 3 of them egged each other on to
> new levels of nastiness) but their real pets got the royal treatment
> though one wonders if my son ever forgave the dog for stealing the
> wiener out of his hot dog when he was 3!

It's not necessarily violent video games but other sources. 4chan and
commentators like Tucker Carlson feed people's fears that Democrats and
jews are trying to put whites in the minority by favoring black and
brown Americans.