From listening comes wisdom and from speaking repentance.

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-05-14 (Saturday)

SubjectAuthor
* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-05-14 (Saturday)Arthur Lipscomb
`- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-05-14 (Saturday)Arthur Lipscomb

1
Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-05-14 (Saturday)

<t5s2pd$367$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=142542&group=rec.arts.tv#142542

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-05-14 (Saturday)
Date: Sun, 15 May 2022 16:36:13 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Sun, 15 May 2022 23:36 UTC

On 5/15/2022 1:55 PM, shawn wrote:
> On Sun, 15 May 2022 12:32:29 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

>>> I've seen this. I mostly watched for Milla Jovovich, who made the lame
>>> script of The Fifth Element work. Of course, Ian Holm managed to steal
>>> scenes from her. She's entertaining in movies that aren't very good.
>>>
>>> I didn't care for the movie, but she's fine in her scenes. It wasn't
>>> enough to make me watch sequels.
>>
>> That’s pretty much right where I am.
>
> I will admit to watching for Milla, and watching all of the sequels.

I proudly admit the same. Sure they are bad movies, but they are *fun*
bad movies!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-05-14 (Saturday)

<t5srfr$7eg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=142546&group=rec.arts.tv#142546

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 15 May 2022 23:37:46 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Mon, 16 May 2022 06:37 UTC

On 5/15/2022 10:59 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
>> On 5/15/2022 1:55 PM, shawn wrote:

>>> I will admit to watching for Milla, and watching all of the sequels.
>>>

>> I proudly admit the same. Sure they are bad movies, but they are *fun*
>> bad movies!
>>

> Sure. I watch a lot of movies for that reason.
>
> I think my big problem here is the 20 years of zombie flicks that have been
> inflicted on us since the first resident evil was made. It’s not exactly
> anything novel anymore!

It's not exactly a zombie series. If you've ever only watched the first
one it can leave an inaccurate picture of the franchise. The later
movies were completely different. Yeah sure, the 6th one featured
zombie Russian soldiers wielding chainsaws, but these are closer to
monster movies than zombie movies. I marathoned them a couple of years
ago and it was amazing to watch going from movie to movie how characters
would come and go without *any* explanation. The way the movies someone
simultaneously had no continuity from movie to movie while
simultaneously maintaining continuity was a thing to behold. Things
happened for no other reason than plot. Plot lines would be dropped as
if they never happened then return as if they never went away. These
movies were carefully crafted and scientifically engineered to be
snarked at! And on top of everything else, the later movies were made
using the same Avatar quality 3D cameras and are some of the most
beautiful to look at movies you'd ever want to watch. They look so
good, who cares about the plot, just marvel at the pictures.

Tell me, who doesn't want to watch a franchise with sequences like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNhdww8Upus

And it's even better in 3D!