From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What I Watched on My Vacation
Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 07:49:45 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Wed, 18 May 2022 14:49 UTC

On 5/17/2022 11:30 PM, David Johnston wrote:
> Jupiter's Legacy:  Superhero series based on lesser known indie comic
> about a generational clash between old fogey superman who holds to the
> code versus killing and younger heroes struggling to deal with
> increasingly murderous foes.  Fails to pay off.  Netflix dropped it on
> the cliffhanger ending.

I wonder if networks can start to dictate to show runners to not end on
a cliffhanger. Show runners seem to end their shows on cliffhangers as
a negotiating technique to force networks to renew their shows, but it
never seems to work. I don't mind cliffhangers, but it should *only* be
allowed when the show is definitely coming back for another season.

> The Lincoln Lawyer:  Fantastically tricky lawyer outmaneuvers
> prosecutors but struggles with that one big case that forms the 8
> episode arc.  It's clever. I spent several episodes wondering what the
> hell his accent was.  Turns out it's Mexican Spanish.

I vaguely recall hearing this was coming to TV, but I don't think I
realized it was already out.

> The Batman:  My uncle spent the first half complaining about how dark
> and dull it was...but then it got crazier and crazier and he got more
> and more into it.
>
> The Northman:  Technically watched it at the actual movies.  But I'll
> just mention that it's Hamlet set in Viking times, with ample
> hallucinogens and two guys who both die while fighting near a lava
> river, but not by catching on fire like would really happen.

I think I liked this a bit more than you did.

Re: What I Watched on My Vacation

<t63346$mkaa$2@solani.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=142582&group=rec.arts.tv#142582

From: suz...@imbris.com (suzeeq)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 08:24:53 -0700
 by: suzeeq - Wed, 18 May 2022 15:24 UTC

On 5/18/2022 7:49 AM, Arthur Lipscomb wrote:
> On 5/17/2022 11:30 PM, David Johnston wrote:
>> Jupiter's Legacy:  Superhero series based on lesser known indie comic
>> about a generational clash between old fogey superman who holds to the
>> code versus killing and younger heroes struggling to deal with
>> increasingly murderous foes.  Fails to pay off.  Netflix dropped it on
>> the cliffhanger ending.
>>

> I wonder if networks can start to dictate to show runners to not end on
> a cliffhanger.  Show runners seem to end their shows on cliffhangers as
> a negotiating technique to force networks to renew their shows, but it
> never seems to work.  I don't mind cliffhangers, but it should *only* be
> allowed when the show is definitely coming back for another season.
>

>> The Lincoln Lawyer:  Fantastically tricky lawyer outmaneuvers
>> prosecutors but struggles with that one big case that forms the 8
>> episode arc.  It's clever. I spent several episodes wondering what the
>> hell his accent was.  Turns out it's Mexican Spanish.
>>

> I vaguely recall hearing this was coming to TV, but I don't think I
> realized it was already out.

All 10 episodes. It's pretty good. I'm not sure the accent is the
actor's own, or he's just using because the character is half Mexican.

Re: What I Watched on My Vacation

<t63mbh$5qn$5@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=142595&group=rec.arts.tv#142595

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 13:53:24 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Wed, 18 May 2022 20:53 UTC

On 5/18/2022 9:02 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
>> On 5/17/2022 11:30 PM, David Johnston wrote:
>>> Jupiter's Legacy:  Superhero series based on lesser known indie comic
>>> about a generational clash between old fogey superman who holds to the
>>> code versus killing and younger heroes struggling to deal with
>>> increasingly murderous foes.  Fails to pay off.  Netflix dropped it on
>>> the cliffhanger ending.
>>>

>> I wonder if networks can start to dictate to show runners to not end on
>> a cliffhanger. Show runners seem to end their shows on cliffhangers as
>> a negotiating technique to force networks to renew their shows, but it
>> never seems to work. I don't mind cliffhangers, but it should *only* be
>> allowed when the show is definitely coming back for another season.
>>

> IIRC the first time they pulled this trick was with the season ending of
> Matt Houston, ending with a cliffhanger as a deliberate ploy for renewal.
> It didn’t work and it ended up being the series finale as well.

The fact that production companies haven't learned by now that
cliffhangers don't save their shows goes a long way towards
demonstrating the average intelligence of people working in TV. :D

dirty old man.