To be awake is to be alive. -- Henry David Thoreau, in "Walden"

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: Our new truth czar proposing that "verified" people edit the posts of the unverified to allow for a "fuller picture" and more "context."

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Our new truth czar proposing that "verified" people edit themoviePig
`- Re: Our new truth czar proposing that "verified" people edit themoviePig

1
Re: Our new truth czar proposing that "verified" people edit the posts of the unverified to allow for a "fuller picture" and more "context."

<jEdhK.22435$j0D5.1959@fx09.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=142599&group=rec.arts.tv#142599

Subject: Re: Our new truth czar proposing that "verified" people edit the
posts of the unverified to allow for a "fuller picture" and more "context."
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 17:35:11 -0400
 by: moviePig - Wed, 18 May 2022 21:35 UTC

On 5/18/2022 3:54 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> In article <i6ha8h1feo4bu092jcpuoluh5q26ipuprh@4ax.com>,
> shawn <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 18 May 2022 10:46:29 -0700, BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

>>> They really are going full-Stasi, aren't they?
>>
>> What makes the "verified people" any better at knowing what context to
>> add? I mean there's nothing that says a "verified person" couldn't
>> also be a 911-truther or a Flat Earther or maybe a "birds aren't real"
>> believer.
>
> Yes, I don't get this idea that 'verified' people are somehow more
> important, intelligent, reliable, or superior to all the rest. All the
> blue-check means on Twitter is that you've provided Twitter proof of
> your identity. They've verified that you're really you so that other
> people know it's not someone pretending to be you. It's not any kind of
> endorsement of what you may post or how reliable or truthful it is.
>
> Someone should have pointed out to this silly bint that Trump was
> verified before his account was shut down. Would she want him (or others
> like him) to have the power to come in behind people and edit their
> posts?

'Verified' means you're not a bot, which is some part of the battle.

Re: Our new truth czar proposing that "verified" people edit the posts of the unverified to allow for a "fuller picture" and more "context."

<5BehK.33756$6dof.33477@fx13.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=142603&group=rec.arts.tv#142603

posts of the unverified to allow for a "fuller picture" and more "context."
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 18:40:00 -0400
 by: moviePig - Wed, 18 May 2022 22:40 UTC

On 5/18/2022 6:00 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> On May 18, 2022 at 2:35:11 PM PDT, "moviePig" <pwallace@moviepig.com> wrote:
>
>> On 5/18/2022 3:54 PM, BTR1701 wrote:

>>> Yes, I don't get this idea that 'verified' people are somehow more
>>> important, intelligent, reliable, or superior to all the rest. All the
>>> blue-check means on Twitter is that you've provided Twitter proof of
>>> your identity. They've verified that you're really you so that other
>>> people know it's not someone pretending to be you. It's not any kind of
>>> endorsement of what you may post or how reliable or truthful it is.
>>>
>>> Someone should have pointed out to this silly bint that Trump was
>>> verified before his account was shut down. Would she want him (or others
>>> like him) to have the power to come in behind people and edit their
>>> posts?
>>
>> 'Verified' means you're not a bot, which is some part of the battle.
>
> The verification badge was around long before the bots became an issue.

You mean before they were *publicized* as an issue. Regardless, there
was still, e.g., the banks of Russian spoofers.

But, no, there's no perfect system ...and I've long suggested that bogus
posts be deliberately seeded, to vaccinate users into healthy doubt.