You will be surprised by a loud noise.

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: Our new truth czar proposing that "verified" people edit the posts of the unverified to allow for a "fuller picture" and more "context."

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Our new truth czar proposing that "verified" people edit themoviePig
`- Re: Our new truth czar proposing that "verified" people edit themoviePig

1
Re: Our new truth czar proposing that "verified" people edit the posts of the unverified to allow for a "fuller picture" and more "context."

<y7ehK.33754$6dof.12992@fx13.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=142601&group=rec.arts.tv#142601

Subject: Re: Our new truth czar proposing that "verified" people edit the
posts of the unverified to allow for a "fuller picture" and more "context."
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 18:08:29 -0400
 by: moviePig - Wed, 18 May 2022 22:08 UTC

On 5/18/2022 5:52 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> On May 18, 2022 at 1:31:15 PM PDT, ""Adam H. Kerman"" <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
>
>> Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:

>>> And she has just resigned, and the whole "Board" idea has been backburnered.
>>
>>> Could have saved this Admin a lot of headaches if they had just done
>>> this 2 weeks ago. They are just completely incompetent.
>>
>> I just read the Washington Post (note the "the"; it means it's a
>> province of Russia) article. It's chock full of newspeak and Orwellian
>> logic.
>>

>> https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2022/05/18/disinformation-board-dhs-nina-jankowicz/
>>
>> From what I can tell, those vile horrid right wingers felled her with...
>> parody.
>
> Facebook is picking up the slack, though. Their latest is to disallow and
> censor any homemade recipes for baby formula.
>

> https://reason.com/2022/05/18/victories-for-rand-paul-pot-and-some-maga-candidates-in-primary-elections/#markets
>
> Facebook labeled the 1960 recipe for homemade baby formula "false information"
> because it's "not up to today's nutritional standards" and the recipe hasn't
> been "evaluated by governing authorities", per the attached "fact check".
>
> So... it's not actually false information. It's just not government-approved
> information. And that requires censorship, per Facebook. Got it.
>
> The ironic bit is that the reason it failed Facebook's censorship test is the
> inclusion of Karo syrup in the recipe, which Facebook's truth ministry regards
> as "a debated ingredient to be administered to babies".
>
> Karo is a type of corn syrup. Many current government-sanctioned commercial
> infant formulae are made with corn syrup.
>
> Not only is the censorship appalling on its face, it doesn't even make logical
> sense.
>
> Also, Facebook now seems to be saying any food that the government doesn't
> nutritionally recommend is prohibited on Facebook. Chocolate chip cookies
> aren't "up to today's government-approved nutritional standards". Neither are
> cheeseburgers. Are people going to be censored for sharing receipts for those
> as well?
>
> Only foods Michelle Obama endorses can be discussed in public now...

Infant formula has higher safety standards than chocolate-chip cookies.

Re: Our new truth czar proposing that "verified" people edit the posts of the unverified to allow for a "fuller picture" and more "context."

<tFehK.20324$pqKf.7411@fx12.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=142604&group=rec.arts.tv#142604

posts of the unverified to allow for a "fuller picture" and more "context."
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 18:44:40 -0400
 by: moviePig - Wed, 18 May 2022 22:44 UTC

On 5/18/2022 6:28 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> In article <y7ehK.33754$6dof.12992@fx13.iad>,
> moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com> wrote:
>
>> On 5/18/2022 5:52 PM, BTR1701 wrote:

>>> Facebook is picking up the slack, though. Their latest is to disallow and
>>> censor any homemade recipes for baby formula.
>>>
>>> https://reason.com/2022/05/18/victories-for-rand-paul-pot-and-some-maga-cand
>>> idates-in-primary-elections/#markets
>>>
>>> Facebook labeled the 1960 recipe for homemade baby formula "false
>>> information" because it's "not up to today's nutritional standards" and
>>> the recipe hasn't been "evaluated by governing authorities", per the
>>> attached "fact check".
>>>
>>> So... it's not actually false information. It's just not
>>> government-approved information. And that requires censorship, per Facebook. Got it.
>>>
>>> The ironic bit is that the reason it failed Facebook's censorship test is
>>> the inclusion of Karo syrup in the recipe, which Facebook's truth ministry
>>> regards as "a debated ingredient to be administered to babies".
>>>
>>> Karo is a type of corn syrup. Many current government-sanctioned commercial
>>> infant formulae are made with corn syrup.
>>>
>>> Not only is the censorship appalling on its face, it doesn't even make
>>> logical sense.
>>>
>>> Also, Facebook now seems to be saying any food that the government doesn't
>>> nutritionally recommend is prohibited on Facebook. Chocolate chip cookies
>>> aren't "up to today's government-approved nutritional standards". Neither
>>> are cheeseburgers. Are people going to be censored for sharing receipts
>>> for those as well?
>>>
>>> Only foods Michelle Obama endorses can be discussed in public now...
>>
>> Infant formula has higher safety standards than chocolate-chip cookies.
>
> The claim by Facebook isn't that recipe is dangerous. It's that it
> doesn't "meet today's government-approved nutritional standards".

To some extent, FB is probably dodging liabilities -- not only from
forwarding poisonous pabulum recipes, but also from accusing others of
doing that. It's safer to just blame "government standards".