From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-06-02 (Thursday)
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2022 14:06:53 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Fri, 3 Jun 2022 21:06 UTC

On 6/3/2022 1:08 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> In article <t7dijf$ejt$1@dont-email.me>,
> Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
>
>> Obi-Wan Kenobi (Disney+) - I'm all caught up on the last three episodes.
>> They were OK. I had a similar reaction watching Obi-Wan cower in fear
>> against Vader, but I read an explanation that Obi-Wan was basically out
>> of tune with the force due to being in hiding.
>
> Which is ridiculous given the scenes where he argues with Owen over
> needing to train Luke and with Bail over his hesitancy to leave Tatooine
> because of his responsibility to protect Luke.
>
> How could he train Luke if he himself has allowed his skills and Force
> sensitivity to atrophy? He's already suffering guilt over his failure
> with Anakin but now he wants to take on a new padawan with even less
> ability to guide him down the correct path? And how can he protect Luke
> from anyone if he allows himself to lose his skills?

Good point. But I think it could be something like this, imagine two
professional boxers at the top of their game. They fight. One beats
the other. The winner goes into hiding with the plan to train a child
when the child grows up. The looser continues to train and practice
every day. 10 years later the winner has not had a single fight. But
he could still train the 10 year child. The winner then encounters the
guy he beat 10 years ago. That guy has been training daily and is
pumped up and ready for a rematch. The winner hasn't fought in 10 years
and lacks confidence he could take him again. If the two came to blows
the guy who hasn't trained in 10 years would be outmatched.
Nevertheless, he could still easily train the kid one day in the future.

>> Top Gun: Maverick (theatrical) Sequel to Top Gun which finds Tom Cruise
>> still an ace fighter pilot for the Navy 36 years later. He's assigned
>> to train the best of the best for a top secret mission (and I'm pretty
>> sure act of war!) to destroy a top secret nuclear facility in an
>> unspecified country.
>
> Yes, they can't even use the North Koreans anymore. Hollywood is so
> terrified of offending anyone, all our enemies have to now be portrayed
> as merely some unnamed adversary.
>
>> Jennifer Connelly plays hooky from Snowpiercer to be the love
>> interest in this movie
>
> And looking just fantastic.

I noticed they played a David Bowie song when she was introduced. I
assume that was a homage to Labyrinth.