Expedience is the best teacher.

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: Uncle Tom Swift

SubjectAuthor
o Re: Uncle Tom SwiftmoviePig

1
Re: Uncle Tom Swift

<qGJmK.47004$X_i.41081@fx18.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=142816&group=rec.arts.tv#142816

Subject: Re: Uncle Tom Swift
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
<010620221317473766%nope@noway.com> <t78lv7$jao$5@dont-email.me>
<010620221826596533%nope@noway.com>
<4ugg9h9akjca0utss9igfvrbhmecbsl48n@4ax.com>
<020620220841555294%nope@noway.com>
<utpk9hp6g98ot93iqr8ldpd1gcuei65lsn@4ax.com>
<030620221700387298%nope@noway.com>
<388239669.675993943.113429.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>
<030620222255536262%nope@noway.com>
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2022 10:07:18 -0400
 by: moviePig - Sat, 4 Jun 2022 14:07 UTC

On 6/3/2022 10:55 PM, A Friend wrote:
> In article
> <388239669.675993943.113429.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>,
> anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:

>>> I think Huckleberry Finn is the great American novel, so I wouldn't
>>> suppress it in any way. At its core, it's a story of redemption and
>>> hope.

>>> No, we're not. Years and years ago, I was offered a quick $500 to
>>> write a Tom Swift, but I didn't feel comfortable taking the job, so I
>>> passed. No disrespect to the character or the publisher intended; I
>>> just didn't feel as if I was right for it.
>>
>> Do you recall the title, or at least the series?
>

> It would have been one of the Tom Swift Jr. books, and I remember
> thinking that I wanted to send him to Pluto because I knew a lot about
> Pluto. (I was going to call it Peril on Pluto.) If they had an idea
> or title in mind themselves, they never mentioned it. I was familiar
> with the books and was tempted, but I'd just finished one in another
> franchise, and that experience had been so disagreeable that I wasn't
> ready to do another such book. In retrospect, I should have done it.
>
> Since there's no possibility of that book ever happening, I can tell
> you that I'd worked out some stuff concerning a Plutonian lifeform that
> Tom unexpectedly finds there. It was just some wiggly stuff that oozed
> out to eat sunlight once in a great while, but it convinces Tom that if
> there is any possibility of life existing in even the most hostile
> environment, it will be found there.

> In fact, Tom decides that life is
> the whole point of the universe.

Surely there'd be pushback about Tom exceeding his metaphysical remit...

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: Uncle Tom Swift