From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-06-03 (Friday)
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2022 10:49:48 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Sat, 4 Jun 2022 17:49 UTC

On 6/4/2022 8:37 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:

> The Quiet Earth (Tubi) - This is definitely both a loose "remake" of the
> novel named "The Quiet Earth" and the earlier "The World, The Flesh and
> The Devil" film. Definitely the latter, as the film makes mumerous
> changes to the story of the novel, especially the ending, though it
> keeps a couple of the names and the general concepts the same. IOW, the
> whole character of Joanne is taken much more from the 1959 film than
> from the novel.
>   There were things I liked more about "The Quiet Earth" than I did
> about "The World, The Flesh and The Devil" - first, "The Quiet Earth"
> actually has people *disappear*, so it gets around the 1959 film's
> problem with there being no bodies. The film also doesn't really try and
> go too deep into an explanation for "The Effect" that caused all of this
> (and when it tries it does a better job than the novel does!), which I
> think is a smart call.
>   This film also dials down the racial analogy of the 1959 film, which
> is also a smart call.
>   This film has a trippy ending - I guess you can take from it what you
> like.

Was this the Australian production from 20-30 years ago?

dirty old man.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-06-03 (Friday)

<t7ge3s$anm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=142821&group=rec.arts.tv#142821

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2022 13:08:25 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Sat, 4 Jun 2022 20:08 UTC

On 6/4/2022 10:49 AM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
> On 6/4/2022 8:37 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
>>
>> The Quiet Earth (Tubi) - This is definitely both a loose "remake" of
>> the novel named "The Quiet Earth" and the earlier "The World, The
>> Flesh and The Devil" film. Definitely the latter, as the film makes
>> mumerous changes to the story of the novel, especially the ending,
>> though it keeps a couple of the names and the general concepts the
>> same. IOW, the whole character of Joanne is taken much more from the
>> 1959 film than from the novel.
>>    There were things I liked more about "The Quiet Earth" than I did
>> about "The World, The Flesh and The Devil" - first, "The Quiet Earth"
>> actually has people *disappear*, so it gets around the 1959 film's
>> problem with there being no bodies. The film also doesn't really try
>> and go too deep into an explanation for "The Effect" that caused all
>> of this (and when it tries it does a better job than the novel does!),
>> which I think is a smart call.
>>    This film also dials down the racial analogy of the 1959 film,
>> which is also a smart call.
>>    This film has a trippy ending - I guess you can take from it what
>> you like.
>>
> Was this the Australian production from 20-30 years ago?

New Zealand. I'm surprised others remember it. It seems to have fallen
into obscurity. I don't recall it ever airing on TV. But I remember
renting it on VHS when it first came out when I was around 8 or 9.