Don't you wish that all the people who sincerely want to help you could agree with each other?

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: The Road Not Taken

SubjectAuthor
* Re: The Road Not TakenmoviePig
`- Re: The Road Not TakenmoviePig

1
Re: The Road Not Taken

<6eyoK.52700$IgSc.27926@fx45.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=142900&group=rec.arts.tv#142900

Subject: Re: The Road Not Taken
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2022 22:44:19 -0400
 by: moviePig - Fri, 10 Jun 2022 02:44 UTC

On 6/9/2022 9:56 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> Every time you want to kick yourself for making a bad decision, remember Ron
> Wayne...
>

> On April 1, 1976, Steve Jobs and Stephen Wozniak met at Ron Wayne's apartment
> in Mountain View to draw up the partnership agreement for their new company,
> Apple Computer. Wayne said he had some experience "writing legalese", so he
> composed the 3-page document himself. His legalese got the better of him.
> Paragraphs began with various flourishes: "Be it noted herewith... Be it
> further noted herewith... Now the refore [sic], in consideration of the
> respective assignments of interests..." But the division of shares and profits
> was clear-- 45%-45%-10%-- and it was stipulated that any expenditure of more
> than $100 would require agreement of at least two partners. Also, the
> responsibilities were spelled out. "Wozniak shall assume both general and
> major responsibility for the conduct of Electrical Engineering; Jobs shall
> assume general responsibility for the conduct of Electrical Engineering and
> Marketing; and Wayne shall assume major responsibility for Mechanical
> Engineering and Documentation". Jobs signed in lowercase script, Wozniak in
> careful cursive, and Wayne in an illegible squiggle.
>
> Wayne then got cold feet.
>
> As Jobs started planning to borrow and spend more money, Wayne recalled the
> failure of his own slot machine company. He didn't want to go through that
> again. Jobs and Wozniak had no personal assets, but Wayne (who constantly
> worried about global financial armageddon) kept gold coins hidden in his
> mattress. Because they had structured Apple as a simple partnership rather
> than a corporation, the partners would be personally liable for the debts, and
> Wayne was afraid potential creditors would go after him. So he returned to the
> Santa Clara County office just eleven days later with a "statement of
> withdrawal" and an amendment to the partnership agreement. "By virtue of a
> re-assessment of understandings by and between all parties," it began, "Wayne
> shall hereinafter cease to function in the status of 'Partner'." It noted that
> in payment for his 10% of the company, he received $800, and shortly
> afterward, $1500 more.
>
> Had he stayed on and kept his 10% stake, at the end of 2010, it would have
> been worth approximately $2,600,000,000. Instead, he was then living alone in
> a small home in Pahrump, Nevada, where he played the penny slot machines and
> lived off his Social Security check.

A true logician is one able to see the rightness of Wayne's decision...

Re: The Road Not Taken

<ihKoK.78930$ntj.58019@fx15.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=142912&group=rec.arts.tv#142912

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2022 12:26:53 -0400
 by: moviePig - Fri, 10 Jun 2022 16:26 UTC

On 6/10/2022 3:28 AM, BTR1701 wrote:
> In article <t7uovr$tec$1@gioia.aioe.org>,
> Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:

>>> A true logician is one able to see the rightness of Wayne's decision...
>>
>> If Jobs hadn't "returned" and/or Apple had gone bankrupt, Wayne's share
>> would be absolutely nothing ... or even potentially have to pay 10% of
>> Apple's outstanding debts.
>
> By the time Apple was in danger of going bankrupt, it had been
> restructured from a partnership into a corporation. Wayne would not have
> been personally liable for any debts.
>
> As for his share being worth nothing, yep, he would have been out that
> 2300 bucks. He'd was risking losing a little over 2K vs the possibility
> of it turning into $2.6 billion...

You're talking about expected loss vs. expected gain ...which it sounds
as though he'd have been realistic about. What we *might* be able to
second-guess is whether he lost sight of/faith in his original "vision".