From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-06-09 (Thursday)
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2022 11:09:03 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Fri, 10 Jun 2022 18:09 UTC

On 6/10/2022 9:33 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> On 2022-06-10 08:30:41 +0000, Ubiquitous said:
>
>> What did you watch?
>
> Yesterday, I had a plan - and you don't have to like my plan, but you do
> have to *respect* it!!!
>
> My plan was to watch the "Escape Plan" films series!  ;p
>
> Escape Plan 2: Haydes (HBO Max) - On Tuesday, I noticed that Prime had
> the third "Escape Plan" movie. I checked around and found out that HBO
> Max had the second movie. So I resvoled to watch the sequels yesterday,
> after having watched the original "Escape Plan" film some months back.
snip

> Escape Plan: The Extractors (Prime) - ...Which is then promptly ignored
> in the third film.
>   I didn't care for the third film very much.

I saw Escape Plan 2. It was one of the worse movies I'd ever seen in my
life! In spite of reviews saying Espcare Plan 3 was better, I held off
for about a year or so before forcing myself to watch Escape Plan 3,
which was better than 2. And good for them for ignoring it!

> The Orville: New Horizons (Hulu) - "Electric Sheep" (ep. #3.1). Pretty
> good start to season #3.
>   They introduce Anne Winters (I wuv her!!) and her character in a way
> that's not clunky, and is actually vital to the episode's developments
> (though I did find her special "talent" eye-worthy, and kind of Mary
> Sue-ish).
>   This episode did seem long, though.
>   Meanwhile, Dr. Claire's kids have both clearly grown, esp. the older
> son! since season #2, but I guess we're supposed to ignore that!

I was wondering about that! I was watching and thinking to myself was
that kid always 8 feet tall, because I remember him being shorter!

>   I still miss Halston Sage - massively preferred her and her character
> to Jessica Szohr.
>   I noticed this episode purposely passed up several opportunities for
> the kind of off-kilter humor that the show used to do (esp. in season
> #1!) - I hope this doesn't mean they're going to try to play the show
> "completely straight" in season #3 - that would be a mistake IMO.
>
> Phobias (Hulu) - Kind of a horror "anothology" film, it would have
> helped a lot if they had actually *defined* what the 5 phobias were
> on-screen!!

Added to the queue.

I watched:

The Flash - "Keep It Dark" - Some stuff happened and I really don't care.

Jurassic World Dominion (theatrical) - The original cast of Jurassic
Park teams up with the cast of Jurassic World to try and keep from
getting eating by dinosaurs. Now could they have completely eliminated
the cast of either Jurassic Park or Jurassic World and basically told
the exact same story while shaving 45 minutes off the run time? Yes,
they could have done that. Should they have done that? No! I *want*
to see the cast of Jurassic Park and Jurassic World team up!!! How else
would you get Jeff Goldblum saying things like he doesn't like Jurassic
World? Or the Jurassic Park team looking befuddled as Rex Dangervest
(and I kid you not, they practically called him that in this movie!)
talks about his friend the velociraptor and how he made a promise to her
he's going to keep.

Prior to going in I was reading online about the bad reviews and I read
one fan who said, paraphrasing here, I don't care what the professional
reviewers say. I'll look at the fan reviews. There are plenty of movies
that got bad professional reviews that I liked. This movie is about
dinosaurs in the present day. Everybody going to this movie knows
exactly what they are going to get. So I read that and agreed 100%.
And as it turns out, the professional reviews were wrong! That movie
was loads of fun.

Now maybe the movie didn't have a, what do you call it? Plot? It's a
Jurassic Park movie. It doesn't need a plot. Sure stuff happened for
reasons or to otherwise get character A to location B while character C
could also be present. So what!

Did the movie have dinosaurs? Check.
Were the dinosaurs in present day? Check.
Were the dinosaurs in present day trying to eat people? Check.
Were the scene of dinosaurs trying to eat people in present day scary?
Check!

Nuff said! What more could you possibly want out of a Jurassic Park
movie? Not only that, but the original cast from Jurassic Park movie
teams up with the cast of Jurassic World to try to avoid getting eating
together. That's icing on the cake.

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-06-09 (Thursday)