From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-06-11 (Saturday)
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2022 13:29:15 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Sun, 12 Jun 2022 20:29 UTC

On 6/12/2022 12:29 PM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
> Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
>
>> The Rocky Horror Picture Show (blu-ray) The classic 1975 cult movie
>> musical starring Barry Bostwick as Brad and Susan Sarandon as his
>> Fiancee Janet.
>
> Damnit Janet!
>
> You mean she's never...
>
> Uh huh
>
>> They have some misadventures with a doctor played by Tim
>> Curry who just wants to do the Time Warp again.
>
> Just a step to the left
>
>> I discovered this movie late in life and really like it.
>
> The first time I saw it was with an audience. It needs the audience
> filled with goofballs playing along.

The first time I saw it was on network TV. The second time I saw it was
a midnight showing in Berkeley with an audience. The audience was um,
enthusiastic... I was honestly scared while watching the movie with
that audience! It's an experience I will never forget. And eventually,
I went back for more.

>> The Skin I Live In (blu-ray) 2011 Spanish movie written and directed by
>> Pedro Almodóvar, and starring Antonio Banderas as a psycho doctor who
>> kidnaps and performs a sex change operation on an innocent young man who
>> he thinks raped his daughter and blames for her suicide. Originally I
>> had planned to save this for later and watch alongside "I Spit on Your
>> Grave" and other similar revenge exploitation flicks. But after Hedwig
>> I was in the mood to watch this now. And in spite of the plot summary,
>> it's really not a trashy exploitation movie. It's more of art house
>> movie from an acclaimed director and Hollywood star. But given the plot
>> it works on both levels. So if you want a trashy body horror film this
>> can satisfy that need. But if you prefer an prestigious art house
>> flick, this works on that level too. It's both.
>
> I suppose you've got I Spit On Your Grave on a blu-ray transfer.

Yes. I have box set which includes an uncut version of the original,
and unrated versions of the remake and two sequels. I had to import it,
but thankfully I have a region free player. I've had the set for a
couple of years, but still haven't gotten around to watching them. I
think I've only ever watched them one time each, and never back to back.
And I'm pretty sure I've never seen the unedited versions either. But
next year I plan to watch them and a couple more similarly themed
exploitation flicks.

I just