From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: [OT] The roots of black culture are NOT what you think they are
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2022 10:21:05 -0400
 by: Rhino - Fri, 17 Jun 2022 14:21 UTC

On 2022-06-17 12:46 AM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
> Rhino <no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:
>
>> I just watched this very interesting video from Thomas Sowell which
>> describes the roots of black culture. You will be quite surprised to see
>> the thesis that he puts forward as to the origins of black culture:
>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FbmrkTRTC0 [7 minutes]
>
> I love Sowell but he lept to a lot of conclusions. As far as sex and
> promiscuity, everybody knows he has an almost-Calvinist religious view
> of sex, which is nothing but sin. I hate his moral lectures on sex. As
> far as promiscuity, it's well known that impoverished rural families can
> have more kids hoping they'll live to become teenagers and can do real
> work that saves the family. Life was hard and a lot of children died as
> infants or in young childhood. That's why poor families had more
> children. As people became more prosperous and children began surviving
> with greaters and they didn't need teenagers for work, families had
> fewer kids. Sowell knows this.

Large families are a sort of poor man's welfare system in many cultures
and have been for a very long time. I remember someone in my class at
school wondering why families in (then) horribly impoverished countries
like India had so many children. I remember the teacher explaining that
with very high infant mortality and no state-operated welfare system,
the only chance adults had of having someone look after them in their
old age was to have lots of children and hoped that a couple survived
into adulthood to look after them. (Of course this also assumes that the
surviving kids felt a sense of obligation towards their parents,
something which the culture itself tries to inculcate.)

Still, I'd never heard anyone make a case for many of the features of
black inner city neighbourhoods originating from the British Isles.

--
Rhino