From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-06-15 (Wednesday)
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2022 13:06:28 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Thu, 16 Jun 2022 20:06 UTC

On 6/16/2022 9:41 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
>> On 2022-06-16 08:30:41 +0000, Ubiquitous said:
>>
>>> What did you watch?
>>
>> On Tuesday I discovered that there *should* be a way to stream *from*
>> my Apple TV box *to* my laptop, but that it simply does not work for me
>> and I could find nothing on the internet to help me fix the problem.
>>

> The instructions I found said that the iPhone should stream to the Apple TV
> box as well but it wants me to press numbers on the Apple TV box remote and
> it doesn’t have a keypad.
>

>> Anyway, I watched:
>>
>> The Outpost (recorded) - "Going to Meet the Gods" (ep. #4.4). Falista
>> is turning into a pyscho bitch - it's easy to see why she's about to be
>> killed off!
>> Talon & co. return to report that the Blackbloods have nearly all be
>> slaughtered. They hold a hold a rememberance cerimony.
>> Luna gets pinched as the assassin, and is going to be executed, but
>> Tobin allows Garret to spring her, but she's now banished from the
>> Outpost.
>> After having slaughtered dozens, Two leaves to go see "the Gods".
>> Talon and Zed follow her, and Luna eventually tags along.
>> Back at the Outpost, Falista asks Wren about the Gods, but Wren
>> pleads ignorance. Falista then has Janzo arrested to pressure her. Wren
>> tells Janzo that Falista is actually asking about the end of the world!
>> Talon, Zed and Luna watch Two free the main God lady!
>
> Sigh, Kiki…
>

>> Spectre (OnDemand) - I had never seen this before, and needed to watch
>> it before I can watch "No Time to Die".
>> This one sports Blofeld!!
>> So, does that mean that the Sean Connery Bond flicks exists in
>> another reality plane/universe than the Daniel Craig ones?!
>
> Daniel Craig has to exist in a completely different reality. After all, we
> saw him meet moneypenny. Which would mean his films take place before
> everybody else’s films.
>
> The only common thread is that several of them were married to Traci.
> Lazenby married her, Connery avenged her, Moore mourned her and there was a
> delicatessen in stainless steel, I don’t recall about Brosnan or Dalton but
> they kept playing her music in No Time to Die.

Arthur said some time back that there was something in 'No Time to Die'
that explicitly tied Craig Bond into the same universe and time line as
Lazenby Bond but wouldn't explain what it was.

dirty old man.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-06-15 (Wednesday)

<t8gt2g$e5q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=143056&group=rec.arts.tv#143056

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2022 20:39:57 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Fri, 17 Jun 2022 03:39 UTC

On 6/16/2022 1:06 PM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
> On 6/16/2022 9:41 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>> Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:

>>> On Tuesday I discovered that there *should* be a way to stream *from*
>>> my Apple TV box *to* my laptop, but that it simply does not work for me
>>> and I could find nothing on the internet to help me fix the problem.
>>>

>> The instructions I found said that the iPhone should stream to the
>> Apple TV
>> box as well but it wants me to press numbers on the Apple TV box
>> remote and
>> it doesn’t have a keypad.
>>

>>> Anyway, I watched:
>>>
>>> The Outpost (recorded) - "Going to Meet the Gods" (ep. #4.4). Falista
>>> is turning into a pyscho bitch - it's easy to see why she's about to be
>>> killed off!
>>>    Talon & co. return to report that the Blackbloods have nearly all be
>>> slaughtered. They hold a hold a rememberance cerimony.
>>>    Luna gets pinched as the assassin, and is going to be executed, but
>>> Tobin allows Garret to spring her, but she's now banished from the
>>> Outpost.
>>>    After having slaughtered dozens, Two leaves to go see "the Gods".
>>> Talon and Zed follow her, and Luna eventually tags along.
>>>    Back at the Outpost, Falista asks Wren about the Gods, but Wren
>>> pleads ignorance. Falista then has Janzo arrested to pressure her. Wren
>>> tells Janzo that Falista is actually asking about the end of the world!
>>>    Talon, Zed and Luna watch Two free the main God lady!
>>
>> Sigh, Kiki…
>>

>>> Spectre (OnDemand) - I had never seen this before, and needed to watch
>>> it before I can watch "No Time to Die".
>>>    This one sports Blofeld!!
>>>    So, does that mean that the Sean Connery Bond flicks exists in
>>> another reality plane/universe than the Daniel Craig ones?!
>>
>> Daniel Craig has to exist in a completely different reality. After
>> all, we
>> saw him meet moneypenny. Which would mean his films take place before
>> everybody else’s films.
>>
>> The only common thread is that several of them were married to Traci.
>> Lazenby married her, Connery avenged her, Moore mourned her and there
>> was a
>> delicatessen in stainless steel, I don’t recall about Brosnan or
>> Dalton but
>> they kept playing her music in No Time to Die.
>>
> Arthur said some time back that there was something in 'No Time to Die'
> that explicitly tied Craig Bond into the same universe and time line as
> Lazenby Bond but wouldn't explain what it was.

I don't think I said specifically Lazenby, but the plot is definitely a
remake of Dr. No mixed with On Her Majesty's Secret service. And they
use the OHMSS music liberally throughout the movie including the same
closing theme song.

But they do make an explicit connection to the original Bond movies.
There is a scene where they show the previous "M" that includes both
Judi Dench and Robert Brown (who played M in the 70s-80s). If I recall
correctly they put a spotlight on his portrait so you couldn't miss it.

I watched:

The Show (Netflix rental) 2017 drama starring Josh Duhamel as a reality
TV show hosts who gets talked into by his unethical producer (Famke
Janssen) into hosting a show where people commit suicide for money. The
show becomes a smash hit and as the cash prizes go up so do the
elaborate methods of killing oneself. Giancarlo Esposito also stars as
a man down and out on his luck, who as the movie goes on keeps falling
on harder and harder times. Esposito's character has a family,
including a sick kid and is in danger of losing their home unless he can
come up with money fast. You can guess what he ends up deciding to do.
It's actually a very watchable movie, and what stood out to me was the
actors were too good for the material. Esposito in particular brought
his A-game. He always does, but the actors took what should have been a
schlock movie and made it watchable. I was surprised to see at the end
that Esposito also directed this movie. I suspect that may be why the
movie managed to get good actors who weren't slumming.

Lightyear (theatrical) Latest Disney/Pixar CGI movie which serves as a
prequel/spin off to the Toy Story movies. This is the movie that Andy
went to see back in 1995 that featured the character of "Buzz
Lightyear." Chris Evans stars as Buzz Lightyear, an American Captain
who is part of the Space Rangers. He accidentally causes his ship to
crash land on an alien planet, stranding an entire colony on the planet.
Lightyear acts as a test pilot trying to find a way off the planet but
thanks to time dilation he stays young while everyone else ages around
him. One day he returns from a test flight to discover the colony under
attack by hostile robots. It was an OK movie, but I would have liked it
if it had been a bit more hardcore. PG-13 instead of PG. This movie
just needed a harder edge to it IMO. There was one plot point from Toy
Story 2 that I was wondering if they were going to ignore since I had no
idea how they could possibly work it into the movie, and I was happy to
see not only did they not ignore it, it became a key plot point of this
movie. Also there are 3 post credit scenes. They make you work for it.
The final scene is way after all the credits and even the screen goes
black, but stick around because it is there.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-06-15 (Wednesday)

<t8gvmn$q8q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=143057&group=rec.arts.tv#143057

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2022 21:24:58 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Fri, 17 Jun 2022 04:24 UTC

On 6/16/2022 8:49 PM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> On 2022-06-17 03:39:57 +0000, Arthur Lipscomb said:
>
>> I watched:
>>
>> The Show (Netflix rental) 2017 drama starring Josh Duhamel as a
>> reality TV show hosts who gets talked into by his unethical producer
>> (Famke Janssen) into hosting a show where people commit suicide for
>> money. The show becomes a smash hit and as the cash prizes go up so do
>> the elaborate methods of killing oneself.
>
> I've been meaning to get to this. I think at one point it was on Hulu -
> it's probably not there anymore, so I may have to hunt it down.
>
>> Lightyear (theatrical) Latest Disney/Pixar CGI movie which serves as a
>> prequel/spin off to the Toy Story movies.  This is the movie that Andy
>> went to see back in 1995 that featured the character of "Buzz
>> Lightyear."  Chris Evans stars as Buzz Lightyear, an American Captain
>> who is part of the Space Rangers.
>
> Wow, they really did get rid of Tim Allen.
>
> This is why everyone thinks Disney is a bunch of f***s.

Here's the explanation for the "recasting":
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/how-lightyear-ties-to-toy-story-why-tim-allen-not-buzz-chris-evans-150051630.html

dirty old man.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-06-15 (Wednesday)

<t8j4to$aq4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=143072&group=rec.arts.tv#143072

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2022 17:06:15 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Sat, 18 Jun 2022 00:06 UTC

On 6/17/2022 5:01 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
>> anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

>>> And yet I did, thanks. :-)
>>
>>> Something I really disliked was that they removed the double airlock door
>>> from M’s office. It’s now not only just one door they seem to routinely
>>> leave it open.
>>
>> Oh, that's a joke. It's not an airlock. It's an air gap, double padded,
>> as a sound barrier so no one in the anteroom could hear what M was
>> saying. Except all Moneypenny had to do was flip the intercom switch on
>> her telephone console and she heard everything. In fact, in one movie, M
>> caught her listening in as she always did (I think it was OHMSS) and gave
>> her an order to carry out.
>>

> I always assumed it was defensive. There was a similar but more complex
> entrance to Mr. Waverley‘s office at UNCLE headquarters. They had an even
> fancier double door set up in probe control. Same notation for the Jupiter
> 2. The original bond films there were two doors with a gap (meaning a
> really thick wall) and you close the first door before you open to the
> second. Nobody was running in. They left that out and now there’s just one
> door and they left it open so you could see between the offices. I think
> they just screwed up.
>
> https://blog.firedrake.org/archive/2021/05/The_Many_Faces_of_M_s_Office_Door.html

I never noticed any of that before. I wonder if that's where Get Smart
got the cone of silence from.