From: eag...@eyrie.org (Russ Allbery)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.comics.creative,alt.comics.lnh
Subject: [LNH/META] The LNH Frequently Asked Questions
Supersedes: <lnh-faq-1650006062$8843@hope.eyrie.org>
Date: Sun, 15 May 2022 07:01:03 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Russ Allbery - Sun, 15 May 2022 07:01 UTC

Version 4.0

Administered by: Andrew Perron (pwerdna@gmail.com)

The FAQ was last updated: 2014-06-07

1.0 Introduction
.1 The LNH? What's the LNH?
.2 Why should I care about the LNH?
.3 All right, how do I get started?
.4 So... what exactly is a "newsgroup"?
.5 Sounds cool! How do I get on?
.6 Where can I find out more about the LNH?

2.0 Writing, Etiquette, and Netiquette
.1 Should I make up my own characters? Can I use other people's
characters? What about Spider-Man or Superman? (Usability)
.2 Where do I set my story? (Storytelling Universes and Settings)
.3 What do I call my story? (Titles and Series)
.4 Can I join in on a story that's already happening? (Crossovers
and Cascades)
.5 I'm set to start writing. What are the rules of the LNH?
.6 Okay, but what if I *really* want to make friends?
.7 Why do y'all put "LNH:" in front of your titles? (Making Sure
You Get Posted)
.8 Hey, somebody else's story messed up the continuity in my
story!
.9 What do I do if my story might... y'know, be too much for some
people? (Acraphobe)
.10 Do I lose the copyright on my stories for posting them to
Usenet?

3.0 Common Terms and In-Jokes
.1 What do these words mean? (Looniverse Terms and Abbreviations
(or, everything you need to know in order to understand your
garden-variety LNHer))
.2 Okay, but what do these other words mean? (Internet Terms and
Abbreviations (or, sig.nificant meanings))
.3 What's with all the Lads and Lasses?
.4 Why is it called "Ame.rec.a"? (Net.Names)
.5 What's this "alt.comics.lnh"?
.6 Aaarrrgh! All these worlds and characters and STUFF - how can
I find out more info about them?
.7 What twisted mind came up with this "LNH" thing, anyway? (An
Entirely-Too-Long Short History of the LNH)
.8 Who's the most powerful LNHer?

1.0 INTRODUCTION

Q1.1 The LNH? What's the LNH?

A1.1 A short definition of the LNH? That would be equivalent to
pouring the sands of the Sahara into a half-filled thimble. It would be
comparable to funneling the waters of the Pacific into a broken
wineglass. It would be like placing the collected works of Dave Van
Domelen into the onboard memory of an Atari 2600... however, this is the
task you have set for us, and therefore we shall endeavor to elucidate.

The LNH, or Legion of Net.Heroes, is a society of those beings
who emulate the spirit of adventure and undying quest for justice while
clothed in spandex and a never-ending stream of bad jokes. In short, we
are super-heroes, or at the very least authors who spend what spare time
we have writing about super-heroes. Our stories are dramatic (Beige
Midnight), comedic (Kung-Fu Holmes), dramatically comedic (Ultimate
Mercenary v20), comedically dramatic (Possum-Man: Relinquished),
adventurous (Digital JUMP!), impressionist (Cover Gallery), satirical
(Looniverse Y), freeform (All-New Legion of Net.Heroes), absurd-coming-
of-age-mystery-parodic (The Adventures of Easily-Discovered Man), or
simply strange (Those Darn Vectors!). They all take place in the same
multiverse, and authors and characters often interact with each other.

Anyone can join! Guidelines for writing can be found later on in
this FAQ and then conveniently ignored. Your best policy is to read some
of the stories before writing your own. If you have any questions, just
ask! You can post in the group for quickest response, or just to start a
discussion. Most authors are willing to respond to e-mail questions
about their stories, and many will even let you use their characters in
stories of your own. But you'll have to bring your own dish to the
company potluck.

So welcome to the LNH. I hope this isn't the last we hear from
you! Good luck, and get reading.

Q1.2 Why should I care about the LNH?

A1.2 Well, if you don't, there's a good chance that a flock of kiwis
will sit on your house. But seriously...

For readers, the LNH is a superhero universe that *isn't* run by
corporate interests or marketing conglomerates, but by people who just
really like Fun Comics. Also, some of the nicest net.people can be found
in the LNH. Try us, you might just make a friend. (Besides, it's cheaper
than therapy.)

For writers, the LNH is a place where you can create great
adventures, without the pressures of being serious, formal, or good.
This is not to say that LNH writers aren't good. They're wonderful, but
that is not a prerequisite. Plus, it's a place where you can do the
kinds of stories that you always wanted to see, and create the kinds of
characters that really should exist.

Q1.3 All right, how do I get started?

A1.3 Goody, another victim... mwahaha. Anyway, the best way to get
started is to read. Poke around rec.arts.comics.creative, our home
newsgroup, and get a feel for what's going on. Those unfamiliar with
newsgroups will have all their questions answered in Q1.4.

If you like what you see, you can check out some older stories! The
Eyrie Archive at https://archives.eyrie.org/racc/lnh/ has all the
classics through 2006. More recent stories are available in the general
RACC archives at https://lists.eyrie.org/pipermail/racc/ organized by
month, and can be searched via Google by starting your search with
"site:lists.eyrie.org" (minus the quotes). To learn more about the LNH,
its ridiculous number of characters, and its world, visit the LNH Wiki
at http://lnhq.info/wiki .

Whenever you like, you can join the LNH. All you need to do is
write! Create a single character, a whole team, or just write the
characters in the shared toybox. Put pen to paper (or fingers to
keyboard) and show the world how creative you can be. For advice on who,
what, and how to write, see section 3.0, Netiquette and Writing.

Q1.4 So... what exactly is a "newsgroup"?

A1.4 A newsgroup is a discussion group on Usenet, a giant decentralized
retro-cool network of bulletin boards all over the world. It's
independent of governments, corporations, and The Man.

rec.arts.comics.creative (or "RACC"), the LNH's primary home, is
dedicated to comics-related original creative writing. (See the RACC FAQ
for details!) It's a place without spam or ads, where an assortment of
different fictional universes rub shoulders.

Q1.5 Sounds cool! How do I get on?

A1.5 Probably the easiest way is Google Groups, at
https://groups.google.com . RACC can be read and posted to at
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/rec.arts.comics.creative .

You can also post to RACC by email. Russ Allbery has set up a mail-
to-news gateway for RACC that can be posted through by sending your post
to rec.arts.comics.creative@eyrie.org or racc@eyrie.org. And you can get
posts from the group by mail by signing up at
https://lists.eyrie.org/mailman/listinfo/racc .

But if you want the most flexibility, you're going to want to get a
newsreader program and connect it to a newsserver. There are newsreaders
out there for every OS and platform, and newsreading functionality is
built into Mozilla Thunderbird and Microsoft Outlook Express. Many ISPs
have their own newsservers, though Comcast doesn't. There are lots of
good free ones for text newsgroups, and feel free to ask on the group if
you're not sure how to find one.

Oh, and if you just want to read, there's a very handsome interface
known as RACCowrimo, at http://wil.alambre.ca/racc/ . Stop by and check
out the cover gallery!

Q1.6 Where can I find out more about the LNH?

A1.6 Well, fine, be that way. =) A good place to start (after you've
read this FAQ, of course) is the LNH Wiki, located at
http://lnhq.info/wiki/Welcome . This has all the information you could
ever need about the LNH, from character rosters to a history of the LNH
to lists of award-winning stories.

If you're looking for more beyond that, or aren't sure where to find
something, ask in the newsgroup! We're friendly and ready to help.

2.0 WRITING, ETIQUETTE, AND NETIQUETTE

Q2.1 Should I make up my own characters? Can I use other people's
characters? What about Spider-Man or Superman? (Usability)

A2.1 Making up your own characters is one hundred percent encouraged -
that's how the LNH started, after all!

Using other people's characters is completely okay - as long as
their creator has said that it's okay. Some characters have been given
up completely for public use, while others are usable with permission,
and yet others are completely reserved by a single writer. See the LNH
Wiki's Character Usability article at
http://lnhq.info/wiki/Character%20Usability for details.

Click here to read the complete article