The kind of danger people most enjoy is the kind they can watch from a safe place.

arts / rec.music.filk / Filksong for End of Year Circle

SubjectAuthor
* Filksong for End of Year Circledavid union
+- Re: Filksong for End of Year CircleRich Brown
`* Re: Filksong for End of Year CircleLee Gold XP
 `- Re: Filksong for End of Year Circledavid union

1
Filksong for End of Year Circle

<09064fa3-18d0-4cfe-9158-ffd2f375d7adn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=14438&group=rec.music.filk#14438

Newsgroups: rec.music.filk
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2023 12:34:03 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Filksong for End of Year Circle
From: david.un...@gmail.com (david union)
 by: david union - Wed, 4 Jan 2023 20:34 UTC

I was mostly in listening mode for the Zoom filk circle
with so many great performers and songs. This was
the only new one I did. Comments and improvements welcome :)

-Dave U.

A New Song - (c) words 2022 David Union, tune: River by B.Staines

You have heard all the songs that I usually sing D D G D
Heard them three times maybe four D D A A
So I've written new words for the circle to bring D D G D
Some thing you've not heard here before. D A D D

The late night cons of my younger days D D G D
How quickly the time has flown past D D A A
The memories linger of the singers and songs D D G D
And the warmth that those circles would cast D A D D

Music, take me along D Dmaj7 G A
In the circle, sing me your song D Dmaj7 G A
Always moving, around back to me G G A D
The Wonderful people, the Magical music G D G D
The new and known people, Play new songs to me G A - G - D

There are songs of old books that we read when we're young D D G D
And books of old songs we can bring D D A A
Some are from friends that are forever now gone D D G D
We remember them each we sing D A D D

There are songs about hope and the future and stars. D D G D
And Songs about loss and despair D D A A
But the people are more than the songs that they bring D D G D
When I need them I know they'll be there. D A D D

Music, take me along D Dmaj7 G A
In the circle, sing me your song D Dmaj7 G A
Always moving, around back to me G G A D
The Wonderful people, the Magical music G D G D
The new and known people, play new songs to me G A - G - D

Someday when then circle is echoing still D D G D
With laughter and singing so free D D A A
My last chord and verse will have come to an end D D G D
And fade into an old memory D A D D

So here's to the music that brought us all here D D G D
the songs and the people we know D D A A
it lightens my heart from the love that I feel D D G D
Warms me more than you ever could know D A D D

And here's the music that brought us all here D D G D
Here's to the songs that are sung D D A A
The circle now rings round the whole of the earth D D G D
Look what our circle's become. D A D D

Music, take me along D Dmaj7 G A
In the circle, sing me your song D Dmaj7 G A
Always moving, around back to me G G A D
The Wonderful people, the Magical music G D G D
The new and known people, sing a new memory G A - G - D

Re: Filksong for End of Year Circle

<tp4uft$2iv5o$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=14439&group=rec.music.filk#14439

From: rab...@freemars.org (Rich Brown)
Newsgroups: rec.music.filk
Subject: Re: Filksong for End of Year Circle
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2023 16:27:09 -0600
 by: Rich Brown - Wed, 4 Jan 2023 22:27 UTC

I'm snagging this to share with people I sing with.

Don't change a word of it; it's wonderful exactly as it is.

On 1/4/23 14:34, david union wrote:

> I was mostly in listening mode for the Zoom filk circle
> with so many great performers and songs. This was
> the only new one I did. Comments and improvements welcome :)
>
> -Dave U.
>

> A New Song - (c) words 2022 David Union, tune: River by B.Staines

Re: Filksong for End of Year Circle

<tp6p7b$2rklu$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=14443&group=rec.music.filk#14443

From: lee.g...@ca.rr.com (Lee Gold XP)
Newsgroups: rec.music.filk
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2023 07:09:30 -0800
 by: Lee Gold XP - Thu, 5 Jan 2023 15:09 UTC

On 1/4/2023 12:34 PM, david union wrote:

> I was mostly in listening mode for the Zoom filk circle
> with so many great performers and songs. This was
> the only new one I did. Comments and improvements welcome :)
>
> -Dave U.
>

> A New Song - (c) words 2022 David Union, tune: River by B.Staines
>
> You have heard all the songs that I usually sing D D G D
> Heard them three times maybe four D D A A
> So I've written new words for the circle to bring D D G D
> Some thing you've not heard here before. D A D D
>
> The late night cons of my younger days D D G D
> How quickly the time has flown past D D A A
> The memories linger of the singers and songs D D G D
> And the warmth that those circles would cast D A D D
>
> Music, take me along D Dmaj7 G A
> In the circle, sing me your song D Dmaj7 G A
> Always moving, around back to me G G A D
> The Wonderful people, the Magical music G D G D
> The new and known people, Play new songs to me G A - G - D
>
> There are songs of old books that we read when we're young D D G D
> And books of old songs we can bring D D A A
> Some are from friends that are forever now gone D D G D
> We remember them each we sing D A D D
>
> There are songs about hope and the future and stars. D D G D
> And Songs about loss and despair D D A A
> But the people are more than the songs that they bring D D G D
> When I need them I know they'll be there. D A D D
>
> Music, take me along D Dmaj7 G A
> In the circle, sing me your song D Dmaj7 G A
> Always moving, around back to me G G A D
> The Wonderful people, the Magical music G D G D
> The new and known people, play new songs to me G A - G - D
>
> Someday when then circle is echoing still D D G D
> With laughter and singing so free D D A A
> My last chord and verse will have come to an end D D G D
> And fade into an old memory D A D D
>
> So here's to the music that brought us all here D D G D
> the songs and the people we know D D A A
> it lightens my heart from the love that I feel D D G D
> Warms me more than you ever could know D A D D
>
> And here's the music that brought us all here D D G D
> Here's to the songs that are sung D D A A
> The circle now rings round the whole of the earth D D G D
> Look what our circle's become. D A D D
>
> Music, take me along D Dmaj7 G A
> In the circle, sing me your song D Dmaj7 G A
> Always moving, around back to me G G A D
> The Wonderful people, the Magical music G D G D
> The new and known people, sing a new memory G A - G - D

Would you like to see this in Xenofilkia?

--Lee Gold

Re: Filksong for End of Year Circle

<7f4b3ddf-18bf-4c9f-803b-5b56573e364dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=14451&group=rec.music.filk#14451

Newsgroups: rec.music.filk
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2023 09:40:39 -0800 (PST)
From: david.un...@gmail.com (david union)
 by: david union - Fri, 6 Jan 2023 17:40 UTC

On Thursday, 5 January 2023 at 10:09:32 am UTC-5, Lee Gold XP wrote:
> On 1/4/2023 12:34 PM, david union wrote:
> >
> > I was mostly in listening mode for the Zoom filk circle
> > with so many great performers and songs. This was
> > the only new one I did. Comments and improvements welcome :)
> >
> > -Dave U.
> >

> > A New Song - (c) words 2022 David Union, tune: River by B.Staines
> >
> > You have heard all the songs that I usually sing D D G D
> > Heard them three times maybe four D D A A
> > So I've written new words for the circle to bring D D G D
> > Some thing you've not heard here before. D A D D
> >
> > The late night cons of my younger days D D G D
> > How quickly the time has flown past D D A A
> > The memories linger of the singers and songs D D G D
> > And the warmth that those circles would cast D A D D
> >
> > Music, take me along D Dmaj7 G A
> > In the circle, sing me your song D Dmaj7 G A
> > Always moving, around back to me G G A D
> > The Wonderful people, the Magical music G D G D
> > The new and known people, Play new songs to me G A - G - D
> >
> > There are songs of old books that we read when we're young D D G D
> > And books of old songs we can bring D D A A
> > Some are from friends that are forever now gone D D G D
> > We remember them each we sing D A D D
> >
> > There are songs about hope and the future and stars. D D G D
> > And Songs about loss and despair D D A A
> > But the people are more than the songs that they bring D D G D
> > When I need them I know they'll be there. D A D D
> >
> > Music, take me along D Dmaj7 G A
> > In the circle, sing me your song D Dmaj7 G A
> > Always moving, around back to me G G A D
> > The Wonderful people, the Magical music G D G D
> > The new and known people, play new songs to me G A - G - D
> >
> > Someday when then circle is echoing still D D G D
> > With laughter and singing so free D D A A
> > My last chord and verse will have come to an end D D G D
> > And fade into an old memory D A D D
> >
> > So here's to the music that brought us all here D D G D
> > the songs and the people we know D D A A
> > it lightens my heart from the love that I feel D D G D
> > Warms me more than you ever could know D A D D
> >
> > And here's the music that brought us all here D D G D
> > Here's to the songs that are sung D D A A
> > The circle now rings round the whole of the earth D D G D
> > Look what our circle's become. D A D D
> >
> > Music, take me along D Dmaj7 G A
> > In the circle, sing me your song D Dmaj7 G A
> > Always moving, around back to me G G A D
> > The Wonderful people, the Magical music G D G D
> > The new and known people, sing a new memory G A - G - D
> >
> Would you like to see this in Xenofilkia?
>
> --Lee Gold

Sure, it's up to you...
As long as that doesn't implicitly preclude someone from
using or printing it elsewhere - my goal is to share :)

Because it's TTO I can't post a recording of it anywhere without permission from Bill, I think but I'm
not very legally expert in that either. But it's a fairly well known tune.

-Dave