From: jpolo...@sympatico.ca (Joel Polowin)
Newsgroups: rec.music.filk
Subject: Re: New Filk: Santa Got Run Over By Our Grandma
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2023 13:27:18 -0500
 by: Joel Polowin - Sat, 23 Dec 2023 18:27 UTC

On 2023-12-23 12:04 AM, Arthur T. wrote:
> In Message-ID:<3e71b4bd-7d6c-4642-865e-d7322afbcc7c@sympatico.ca>,
> Joel Polowin <jpolowin@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>
>>Santa Got Run Over By Our Grandma
>>TTO: "Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer" by Randy Brooks
>>
>>Chorus:
>> Santa got run over by our Grandma
>> Dropping off his gifts on Christmas night
>> You can say there's no such thing as Santa
>> And after this past Christmas, you'd be right
>
> BTW, a couple of decades ago, Joe Kesselman posted a chorus similar
> to yours, without any indication he was going to do anything further,
> so I did (see Xeno #104). Part of my enjoyment of yours is seeing how
> you went in such a different direction.

Huh. I found the relevant discussion in Google's archive:
https://groups.google.com/g/rec.music.filk/c/T9bA0ypa654/m/436flL2htpkJ
It's certainly possible that that inspired my song; I don't know how far
back my incomplete version goes.

"My grandma" fits a bit more smoothly than "our grandma", since "my" is
a clean single syllable and "our" is more complex ("ow-er"). I'll have
to think about changing that.

Joel

Re: New Filk: Santa Got Run Over By Our Grandma

<okbeoihrlekuovl5iq3a4k049j4kuk7p9p@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=14549&group=rec.music.filk#14549

From: art...@munged.invalid (Arthur T.)
Newsgroups: rec.music.filk
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2023 14:22:14 -0500
 by: Arthur T. - Sat, 23 Dec 2023 19:22 UTC

In Message-ID:<5582e402-e3d5-49cb-b1ed-b7e6baaed1bc@sympatico.ca>,
Joel Polowin <jpolowin@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>On 2023-12-23 12:04 AM, Arthur T. wrote:
>> In Message-ID:<3e71b4bd-7d6c-4642-865e-d7322afbcc7c@sympatico.ca>,
>> Joel Polowin <jpolowin@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>>
>>>Santa Got Run Over By Our Grandma
>>>TTO: "Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer" by Randy Brooks
<snip>
>> BTW, a couple of decades ago, Joe Kesselman posted a chorus similar
>> to yours, without any indication he was going to do anything further,
>> so I did (see Xeno #104). Part of my enjoyment of yours is seeing how
>> you went in such a different direction.
>
>Huh. I found the relevant discussion in Google's archive:
>https://groups.google.com/g/rec.music.filk/c/T9bA0ypa654/m/436flL2htpkJ
>It's certainly possible that that inspired my song; I don't know how far
>back my incomplete version goes.

Most filking is theft. Intentional theft. We all stole from the
original song. So I don't think you have to worry yourself about
whether you got the idea totally on your own or were influenced by
Joe's chorus. (But if you *want* to worry yourself, don't let me stop
you.)

>"My grandma" fits a bit more smoothly than "our grandma", since "my" is
>a clean single syllable and "our" is more complex ("ow-er"). I'll have
>to think about changing that.

I normally pronounce "our" as "ow-er". But when reading your lyric, I
had no problem slurring it as "are". I concede that some people might
have a problem, though. After all, a while back there was
considerable discussion as to how many syllables "vampire" has.

--
Arthur T. - ar23hur "at" pobox "dot" com

Re: New Filk: Santa Got Run Over By Our Grandma

<upm8n1$39d4q$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=14578&group=rec.music.filk#14578

From: keshlam....@verizon.net (Joe Kesselman)
Newsgroups: rec.music.filk
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 15:46:24 -0500
 by: Joe Kesselman - Sat, 3 Feb 2024 20:46 UTC

Don't worry about it. If you decide I was part of the inspiration I
wouldn't object to being mentioned/blamed; if you decide you came up
with it independently (many of us Spoonerize[*] as one of the sources
for song ideas) I'd believe that too.

[*] "May I sew you to your sheets?"