Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyed. -- Francis Bacon

arts / rec.music.filk / Re: Usenet being discontinued, Leslie fish, and icey people

SubjectAuthor
* Usenet being discontinued, Leslie fish, and icey peopleSpear Carrier (Spearcarrier)
+* Re: Usenet being discontinued, Leslie fish, and icey peopleGary R. Schmidt
|+- Re: Usenet being discontinued, Leslie fish, and icey peopleSpear Carrier (Spearcarrier)
|`* Re: Usenet being discontinued, Leslie fish, and icey peopleGary McGath
| `- Re: Usenet being discontinued, Leslie fish, and icey peopleTim Merrigan
`* Re: Usenet being discontinued, Leslie fish, and icey peopleScott Dorsey
 `* Re: Usenet being discontinued, Leslie fish, and icey peopleSpear Carrier (Spearcarrier)
  +- Re: Usenet being discontinued, Leslie fish, and icey peopleRich Brown
  +- Re: Usenet being discontinued, Leslie fish, and icey peopleGary McGath
  `- Re: Usenet being discontinued, Leslie fish, and icey peopleScott Dorsey

1
Usenet being discontinued, Leslie fish, and icey people

<7d68c9c2-076a-466a-8959-28c1e2b1132an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=14555&group=rec.music.filk#14555

Newsgroups: rec.music.filk
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 19:54:02 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Usenet being discontinued, Leslie fish, and icey people
From: admin...@woksprint.com (Spear Carrier (Spearcarrier))
 by: Spear Carrier (Spear - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 03:54 UTC

So what does that mean for everyone here exactly? Should a new list be started? (I'm for that, because reddit is kind of meh.) I like getting notices from this place, dang it.

So before it's discontinued, I know some of you are aware that the video interview with Leslie is being posted in chunks. There's been announcements on reddit, but only 3 of them.

Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOPx239DKBg
part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1ZMikIWlW4
part 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUoPA_m4E_Q

And finally, I did a very badly recording of a song she and I wrote together. Y'all know I don't normally promote myself, and this recording is pretty awful. LOL. But I did work on it two days with a cat making a mess feet from me in one botched recording, so omg it's GOING TO BE SEEN BY SOMEONE DO YOU HEAR?

https://on.soundcloud.com/wcMGT

Lyrics:

The Ice Maiden
by Leskat

Am
C Am C G D
In a time long past, when frost had kissed the dying grass
Am G D Am
A farmer met a maid of ice and snow.
C Am C G D
They shared their love each night (and) she filled his heart with such delight
Am G D Am
That from her side he knew he'd never go.

(chorus)
F C Am
When the wind sweeps down from the hill
F Dm G
Her voice is crying for him still.
F G F Am
No prayer by man nor beast Can bring shelter to the least
F C G Dm Am
When the deadly gales call his name.

Seasons drifted by (and) he stood frozen outside of time.
His icey gaze was distant, young and bold.
Those that met him in the town felt a chill with him around.
His touch could burn you with a seering cold.

(chorus)

Jealous whispers sow spiteful words that start to grow
Dread that makes the humblest of men sin.
"Evil must be chased away," townsfolk were often heard to say.
They set his house on fire with him (D) within.

chord progression - Am G D Am

(refrain)
F C G
As fire and smoke filled the sky,
F Dm G
He faded before bewildered eyes,
F G F G Am
Nothing was left to show but a trace of melted snow.
F C G Em F--C--G
And the frozen winds howled his name...oh

((real bad fingerpicking interlude that hopefully will improve over time)

Am
G D Am F G Am

Countless moons have gone, (and) when the nights embrace the dawn
The ice maid walks the frozen vale alone.
Her heart aches for her love (and) she screams aloud to the gods above
Bring back the only warmth she'd ever known.
Calling for the love he once had shown.

With the black wind's chill
Her voice echoes, calling still.
No prayer by man nor beast can bring shelter to the least
As the deadly gales scream out his (C) name.
When the deadly gales call his name.

Re: Usenet being discontinued, Leslie fish, and icey people

<kpfm8k-ovc.ln1@paranoia.mcleod-schmidt.id.au>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=14556&group=rec.music.filk#14556

From: grschm...@acm.org (Gary R. Schmidt)
Newsgroups: rec.music.filk
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 16:58:43 +1100
 by: Gary R. Schmidt - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 05:58 UTC

On 30/01/2024 14:54, Spear Carrier (Spearcarrier) wrote:
> So what does that mean for everyone here exactly? Should a new list be started? (I'm for that, because reddit is kind of meh.) I like getting notices from this place, dang it.

[SNIP]

Usenet is *not* being discontinued, the NNTP gateway to and from
GoogleGroups is being switched off, that is all.

Normal Usenet will continue as usual, but with much, much less SPAM.
(About 85% of the traffic to my NNTP server is googleSPAM at the moment,
life will get much better soon. :-) )

To continue using Usenet, find a Usenet/NNTP server, either free or
paid, and install a Usenet/NNTP client on your computer(s).

Google is your friend. (Oh, the irony. :-) )

Cheers,
Gary B-)

Re: Usenet being discontinued, Leslie fish, and icey people

<7bbbf044-b12b-4c16-bd00-47f2cd4ff809n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=14557&group=rec.music.filk#14557

Newsgroups: rec.music.filk
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 22:03:03 -0800 (PST)
From: admin...@woksprint.com (Spear Carrier (Spearcarrier))
 by: Spear Carrier (Spear - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 06:03 UTC

On Monday, January 29, 2024 at 11:59:07 PM UTC-6, Gary R. Schmidt wrote:
> On 30/01/2024 14:54, Spear Carrier (Spearcarrier) wrote:
> > So what does that mean for everyone here exactly? Should a new list be started? (I'm for that, because reddit is kind of meh.) I like getting notices from this place, dang it.
> >
> [SNIP]
>
> Usenet is *not* being discontinued, the NNTP gateway to and from
> GoogleGroups is being switched off, that is all.

Ah, so when I read "Google Groups will no longer support new Usenet content.. Posting and subscribing will be disallowed, and new content from Usenet peers will not appear." I completely misunderstood that because this is my special talent to do so.

> To continue using Usenet, find a Usenet/NNTP server, either free or
> paid, and install a Usenet/NNTP client on your computer(s).
>
> Google is your friend. (Oh, the irony. :-) )

.... you want me to... what now? Learn something new on my computer?? *comes dangerously close to stealing Leslie's song to sing "I am a babe on the internet highway"....*

Re: Usenet being discontinued, Leslie fish, and icey people

<upal7d$v4mt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=14559&group=rec.music.filk#14559

From: gar...@mcgath.com (Gary McGath)
Newsgroups: rec.music.filk
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 06:06:21 -0500
 by: Gary McGath - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 11:06 UTC

On 1/30/24 12:58 AM, Gary R. Schmidt wrote:
> Usenet is *not* being discontinued, the NNTP gateway to and from
> GoogleGroups is being switched off, that is all.

Confirmed. All kinds of rumors happen on the Internet, not all of them
are true. Usenet will continue to exist as long as there are servers and
client apps to support it. There's no authority that can make it stop
happening. Even if it were outlawed, it would continue surreptitiously.

--
Gary McGath http://www.mcgath.com

Re: Usenet being discontinued, Leslie fish, and icey people

<hkjiridlspk569qdj6ggm9so49rarlo2ea@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=14563&group=rec.music.filk#14563

From: tpp...@ca.rr.com (Tim Merrigan)
Newsgroups: rec.music.filk
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 11:34:46 -0800
 by: Tim Merrigan - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 19:34 UTC

On Tue, 30 Jan 2024 06:06:21 -0500, Gary McGath <garym@mcgath.com>
wrote:

>Even if it were outlawed, it would continue surreptitiously.

Suggested alternative: "Even where it's outlawed, it continues
surreptitiously."

The great cyberwall of China comes to mind.
--

Qualified immunity = virtual impunity.

Tim Merrigan

www.avg.com

Re: Usenet being discontinued, Leslie fish, and icey people

<upc2vg$egr$1@panix2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=14564&group=rec.music.filk#14564

From: klu...@panix.com (Scott Dorsey)
Newsgroups: rec.music.filk
Date: 31 Jan 2024 00:07:12 -0000
 by: Scott Dorsey - Wed, 31 Jan 2024 00:07 UTC

In article <7d68c9c2-076a-466a-8959-28c1e2b1132an@googlegroups.com>,
Spear Carrier (Spearcarrier) <adminfox@woksprint.com> wrote:
>So what does that mean for everyone here exactly? Should a new list be star=
>ted? (I'm for that, because reddit is kind of meh.) I like getting notices=
> from this place, dang it.

It means if you're using Google Groups's abominable interface to Usenet,
you should get off and get onto a legitimate and competently-run Usenet
server like everybody has been telling Google users to do for the past
twenty years.

Usenet is in no way going away. Thank God that Google Groups is getting
disconnected from it.
--scott

Re: Usenet being discontinued, Leslie fish, and icey people

<526ab9ee-8771-4562-adac-88582fceca9dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=14566&group=rec.music.filk#14566

Newsgroups: rec.music.filk
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2024 07:20:33 -0800 (PST)
From: admin...@woksprint.com (Spear Carrier (Spearcarrier))
 by: Spear Carrier (Spear - Wed, 31 Jan 2024 15:20 UTC

On Tuesday, January 30, 2024 at 6:07:15 PM UTC-6, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> It means if you're using Google Groups's abominable interface to Usenet,
> you should get off and get onto a legitimate and competently-run Usenet
> server like everybody has been telling Google users to do for the past
> twenty years.

Well I do have an article open about how to do it, but will I be able to that's the question. On the bright side, the filk community (what's left of it anyway) would hardly miss me if I can't keep up. =^-^= But so far all I've found is a bunch of articles about its history and what it is. Nothing simple, to the point, that says, "here how you use it to keep up with the google group." Oh well.

Re: Usenet being discontinued, Leslie fish, and icey people

<upe02r$1k3l5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=14569&group=rec.music.filk#14569

From: rab...@freemars.org (Rich Brown)
Newsgroups: rec.music.filk
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2024 11:30:03 -0600
 by: Rich Brown - Wed, 31 Jan 2024 17:30 UTC

One way to continue on USENET is to create an account at
www.eternal-september.org (tho throwing them a donation wouldn't hurt).
Mozilla Thunderbird makes it tolerably easy to add newsgroups - so, for
example, when I have my email open I see if there are new messages in
rec.music.filk.

On 1/31/24 09:20, Spear Carrier (Spearcarrier) wrote:

> Well I do have an article open about how to do it, but will I be able to that's the question. On the bright side, the filk community (what's left of it anyway) would hardly miss me if I can't keep up. =^-^= But so far all I've found is a bunch of articles about its history and what it is. Nothing simple, to the point, that says, "here how you use it to keep up with the google group." Oh well.

Re: Usenet being discontinued, Leslie fish, and icey people

<uph49m$28bgr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=14572&group=rec.music.filk#14572

From: gar...@mcgath.com (Gary McGath)
Newsgroups: rec.music.filk
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2024 17:00:22 -0500
 by: Gary McGath - Thu, 1 Feb 2024 22:00 UTC

On 1/31/24 10:20 AM, Spear Carrier (Spearcarrier) wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 30, 2024 at 6:07:15 PM UTC-6, Scott Dorsey wrote:
>> It means if you're using Google Groups's abominable interface to Usenet,
>> you should get off and get onto a legitimate and competently-run Usenet
>> server like everybody has been telling Google users to do for the past
>> twenty years.
>
> Well I do have an article open about how to do it, but will I be able to that's the question. On the bright side, the filk community (what's left of it anyway) would hardly miss me if I can't keep up. =^-^= But so far all I've found is a bunch of articles about its history and what it is. Nothing simple, to the point, that says, "here how you use it to keep up with the google group." Oh well.

To give an idea of what it's like: Today I got both a phone message and
email from Panix, warning me that I had to fix some DNS authentication
records to reduce the chances of the MASSFILC mailing lists being
blocked by Google. Excellent service, but the information was in terms
which might not make sense to a non-technical person (adding TXT
records). As I'm writing this, a follow-up email has just shown up in my
mailbox.
--
Gary McGath http://www.mcgath.com

Re: Usenet being discontinued, Leslie fish, and icey people

<uqar0n$mrj$1@panix2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=14586&group=rec.music.filk#14586

From: klu...@panix.com (Scott Dorsey)
Newsgroups: rec.music.filk
Date: 11 Feb 2024 16:01:27 -0000
 by: Scott Dorsey - Sun, 11 Feb 2024 16:01 UTC

Spear Carrier (Spearcarrier) <adminfox@woksprint.com> wrote:
>at's the question. On the bright side, the filk community (what's left of i=
>t anyway) would hardly miss me if I can't keep up. =3D^-^=3D But so far all=
> I've found is a bunch of articles about its history and what it is. Nothin=
>g simple, to the point, that says, "here how you use it to keep up with the=
> google group." Oh well.

https://www.big-8.org/wiki/Getting_Started_with_Usenet

Is a reasonable tutorial. If you like web-based access instead of
standard nntp, you might consider Nova BBS.

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/thread.php?group=rec.music.filk
--scott