Garbage In, Gospel Out

arts / alt.language.urdu.poetry / Re: Word of the Month (07/10)- siNghaar

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Word of the Month (07/10)- siNghaarNaseer
+* Re: Word of the Month (07/10)- siNghaarRaj Kumar
|+* Re: Word of the Month (07/10)- siNghaarMohit
||+- Re: Word of the Month (07/10)- siNghaarNaseer
||+- Re: Word of the Month (07/10)- siNghaarRaj Kumar
||`- Re: Word of the Month (07/10)- siNghaarZoya
|+- Re: Word of the Month (07/10)- siNghaarNaseer
|+* Re: Word of the Month (07/10)- siNghaarRaj Kumar
||`- Re: Word of the Month (07/10)- siNghaarZoya
|`* Re: Word of the Month (07/10)- siNghaarNaseer
| `- Re: Word of the Month (07/10)- siNghaarRaj Kumar
`- Re: Word of the Month (07/10)- siNghaarIrfan Abid

1
Re: Word of the Month (07/10)- siNghaar

<c7413aa7-48f2-4a93-a9f4-3b3fab16576bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1411&group=alt.language.urdu.poetry#1411

Newsgroups: alt.language.urdu.poetry
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2021 11:34:59 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Word of the Month (07/10)- siNghaar
From: qures...@gmail.com (Naseer)
 by: Naseer - Fri, 23 Jul 2021 18:34 UTC

Raj Kumar and Irfan SaaHibaan, aadaab.

Is this in your view "siNghaar" or "siNgaar" or are both of them valid in Urdu poetry? Which of these two words would be your choice when composing your own poetry?

Naseer

Re: Word of the Month (07/10)- siNghaar

<a8fea77c-e001-4230-8e47-5968fc7ff654n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1419&group=alt.language.urdu.poetry#1419

Newsgroups: alt.language.urdu.poetry
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2021 07:34:33 -0700 (PDT)
From: rajkumar...@hotmail.com (Raj Kumar)
 by: Raj Kumar - Mon, 26 Jul 2021 14:34 UTC

On Friday, July 23, 2021 at 11:35:00 AM UTC-7, Naseer wrote:

> Raj Kumar and Irfan SaaHibaan, aadaab.
>
> Is this in your view "siNghaar" or "siNgaar" or are both of them valid in Urdu poetry? Which of these two words would be your choice when composing your own poetry?
>
> Naseer

*** janaab Naseer sahib:

I don't know if I'll ever have the need to use this word in my poetry, even so here are my comments regarding this word.

As you might have already checked, Platts has "siNgaar" but no "siNghaar". Now you'll have to tell us what other dictionaries say.

Not surprisingly, I got hold of Firaaq's book of rubaa'iyaat, titled RUUP, and saw right on the inside cover a mention of [FG ki "siNgaar ras" ki rubaa'iyoN ka yeh majmuu'a]. However, when I read the 'ibtidaa'ia' of the book, written by Firaaq himself, I saw on p.14 the following sentence:
[yeh rubaa'iyaaN sab ki sab jamaaliyaati yaa "siNghaar ras" ki haiN], exactly in the manner Sauda had used this word,

ab aap aek nihaayat dilchasp baat suniye. May 2007 meN, meri kitaab SaHraa saHraa par tabsira karte huye Professor Mo'azzam Siddiiqi sahib ne aek aisa lafz iste'maal kiyaa jo hamaari is baHs par Haavi saabit hoga. un ke tabsire ka yeh iqtibaas paRhiye:

---------------

“Saihraa Saihraa” ki GhazloN meN deegar ruumaanii sho’araa Akhtar Sheeraani, Abdul Hameed ‘Adam’ aur Naresh Kumar ‘Shaad’ kaa aNdaaz-e-takallum bhi dikhaa’ii deta hai. maiN is fehrist meN Hasrat Mohaani ke naam kaa bhi izaafa karna chaahooN gaa, kyooN-k jo shoKhi aur be-saaKhtagi Hasrat ki GhazloN meN miltii hai, voh Qais ki GhazloN meN bhi nazar aati hai:

nigaah-e-Qais, tirii dastaras ko maan gaye
kahaaN kahaaN se mazaameeN churaaye haiN kyaa kyaa!

jaisa k maiN ne uupar nishaan-dehi kii hai, iiraani aur hidustaani anaasir ka haseen imtizaaj Urdu Ghazal ke mizaaj meN rachaa basaa hai. is ke saath hi aihd-e-vasta ki Hindi yaa bhakti ras ki shaa’iri meN Krishan ji, Raadha aur gopiyoN ki ruumaani rivaayaat (jinheN Suur Daas, Meera Baa’ii aur Ras Khaan jaise shaa’iroN ne ‘celebrate’ kiyaa hai) aur maGhribi Hindi, Avadhi aur Braj-bhaasha ki shaa’irii ka ‘eroticism’ aur is ki ‘sensuality’ bhi in hindustaani anaasir ke aham ajzaa-e-tarkeebi haiN. dakkani Ghazal ke azeem sho’araa Quli Qutb Shaah, Vajahi, Ghavvaasi, Nusrati, Ali Aadil Shaah Saani, Haashimi Beejapuri, Vali Dakkani aur Siraaj ki GhazloN meN yeh hindustaani anaasir apne kamaal par nazar aate haiN. Dilli ke shaa’iroN meN Meer aur Saudaa ki kuchh GhazloN aur Meer Hasan ki masnavi meN bhi yeh hindustaani pehlu maujood hai. albatta, is ke ba’ad aahista aahista iiraani anaasir Urdu Ghazal par Ghaalib aa jaate haiN. albatta, unneesaveeN sadii meiN Dayaa Shankar Naseem ki gul-bakaavali aur beesaveeN sadii ke avaa’il meN Chakbast Lakhnavi ki GhazloN meN yeh hindustaaniyat phir se namuudaar hoti hai aur, hamaare aihd meN, Firaaq Gorakhpuri ke kalaam meN apni poori aab-o-taab ke saath jalvaa-figan hoti hai.

Amriika ke Ghazal-go sho’araa meN, Raj Kumar Qais voh vaahid shaa’ir haiN jinhoN ne Ghazal ke hindustaani miTTi se is ta’alluq ko apni GhazloN meN numaayaaN maqaam diyaa hai aur yihii voh cheez hai jo in ki aur Firaaq ki shaa’irii meN ba-qadre mushtarik paa’ii jaati hai. is ke ilaava, Qais ki GhazloN meN Hindi aur Sanskrit kavitaa ka eik aham unsur “shriNgaar ras” un ke lahje aur maahaul ko doosre Ghazal-go sho’araa se mumtaaz kartaa hai.

---------------

I now conclude the following:

1. jin lafzoN ki baat ham kar rahe haiN, un ka 'muul mantra' yeh lafz hai: shriNgaar.
2. Platts meN yeh lafz maujuud hai; yihii nahiiN bal-k un ke haaN lafz sriNgaar bhi hai. It is interesting that for the meaning of the word sriNgaar Platts directs us to both siNgaar and shriNgaar.
3. While the meaning of siNgaar is more like "saj-dhaj", shriNgaar is inclined towards love, affection and eroticism.
4. I wonder if my poetry qualifies to be considered as "shriNgaar ras ki kavitaa"; I don't think I could have been that bold! :-)
5. Mo'azzam sahib ne jo raaye meri shaa'iri ke baare meN di hai, un se zaahir hota hai k mujh meN kuchh baat to hai ---- magar aap haiN k mujhe "aiveN ai" samajhte haiN. :-)

Raj Kumar***

_________________

*Dr. Mo’azzam Siddiiqi earned his Master’s and Ph.D. degrees from the University of Berkeley, California, where he specialized in the study of Near-Eastern and South-Asian languages. Following that, he worked with the “Voice of America” where he directed various linguistic divisions over a period of 22 years. Since his retirement from the VoA, Dr. Siddiiqi has been teaching Urdu poetry, Urdu literature and sufiism at Georgetown University, Washington, D.C.

Re: Word of the Month (07/10)- siNghaar

<a08b6857-d720-4e2f-926e-a996d1eb0500n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1433&group=alt.language.urdu.poetry#1433

Newsgroups: alt.language.urdu.poetry
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2021 20:10:01 -0700 (PDT)
From: mohitmis...@gmail.com (Mohit)
 by: Mohit - Sat, 31 Jul 2021 03:10 UTC

digressing a bit here following are the 16 singaar ( shringaar ) a bride is suppose to wear on her wedding

1. Bindi
2. Sindoor
3. Maang Tikka
4. Kajal
5. Nath/ Nosepin
6. Necklace
7. Earrings/karnphool ( sort of gold/metal flower ornament for ear )
8. Mehendi
9. Bangles
10.Baazuband
11. Aarsi ( worn in hand and has a big flower like design from wrist to finger )
12. Hair Accessory ( generally flowers, Gajra )
13. Kamarband / tagdi
14. Payal & Bichuas (bichhuas being a must for a married woman )
15. Itr ( scent )
16. Shaadi ka Joda

Natyashastra ( oldest literature on theater ) Bharatmuni described 9 rasas ( aesthetics ) of theater somewhere 400 BC, shringaar ras being the king of rasa and it represents love and separation, bit like vasl and judaai... I am no expert on Rasas but shringaar/singaar rasa I read as a part of my MBA course where I was studying Asian Philosophies...

Re: Word of the Month (07/10)- siNghaar

<ad6953f1-5197-43a5-b995-570ecda4f590n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1434&group=alt.language.urdu.poetry#1434

Newsgroups: alt.language.urdu.poetry
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2021 03:15:33 -0700 (PDT)
From: qures...@gmail.com (Naseer)
 by: Naseer - Sat, 31 Jul 2021 10:15 UTC

On Monday, 26 July 2021 at 15:34:34 UTC+1, Raj Kumar wrote:
> [...]
> 4. I wonder if my poetry qualifies to be considered as "shriNgaar ras ki kavitaa"; I don't think I could have been that bold! :-)
> 5. Mo'azzam sahib ne jo raaye meri shaa'iri ke baare meN di hai, un se zaahir hota hai k mujh meN kuchh baat to hai ---- magar aap haiN k mujhe "aiveN ai" samajhte haiN. :-)
>
> Raj Kumar***
>
> _________________
>
> *Dr. Mo’azzam Siddiiqi earned his Master’s and Ph.D. degrees from the University of Berkeley, California, where he specialized in the study of Near-Eastern and South-Asian languages. Following that, he worked with the “Voice of America” where he directed various linguistic divisions over a period of 22 years. Since his retirement from the VoA, Dr. Siddiiqi has been teaching Urdu poetry, Urdu literature and sufiism at Georgetown University, Washington, D.C.

Raj Kumar SaaHib, aadaab 3arz hai.

Thank you for your detailed response. I shall get back to you soon. I am hoping Irfan SaaHib may have something to contribute on this matter.

Naseer

Re: Word of the Month (07/10)- siNghaar

<8978dc72-8552-4c60-88dc-e157654dab25n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1435&group=alt.language.urdu.poetry#1435

Newsgroups: alt.language.urdu.poetry
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2021 03:28:03 -0700 (PDT)
From: qures...@gmail.com (Naseer)
 by: Naseer - Sat, 31 Jul 2021 10:28 UTC

On Saturday, 31 July 2021 at 04:10:05 UTC+1, Mohit wrote:
> digressing a bit here following are the 16 singaar ( shringaar ) a bride is suppose to wear on her wedding
>
> 1. Bindi
> 2. Sindoor
> 3. Maang Tikka
> 4. Kajal
> 5. Nath/ Nosepin
> 6. Necklace
> 7. Earrings/karnphool ( sort of gold/metal flower ornament for ear )
> 8. Mehendi
> 9. Bangles
> 10.Baazuband
> 11. Aarsi ( worn in hand and has a big flower like design from wrist to finger )
> 12. Hair Accessory ( generally flowers, Gajra )
> 13. Kamarband / tagdi
> 14. Payal & Bichuas (bichhuas being a must for a married woman )
> 15. Itr ( scent )
> 16. Shaadi ka Joda
>

> Natyashastra ( oldest literature on theater ) Bharatmuni described 9 rasas ( aesthetics ) of theater somewhere 400 BC, shringaar ras being the king of rasa and it represents love and separation, bit like vasl and judaai... I am no expert on Rasas but shringaar/singaar rasa I read as a part of my MBA course where I was studying Asian Philosophies...

Thank you Mohit SaaHib for providing this list for the solah siNghaar/singaar. Does the "jhumkaa" which Sadhna in the film "saayah" lost in the middle of Bareli baazaar come under 7?

Would you be able to provide a list for the 36 "abran"?

Naseer

Re: Word of the Month (07/10)- siNghaar

<f9dcbbc5-5c05-419a-b76f-25d861898d72n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1436&group=alt.language.urdu.poetry#1436

Newsgroups: alt.language.urdu.poetry
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2021 14:58:56 -0700 (PDT)
From: rajkumar...@hotmail.com (Raj Kumar)
 by: Raj Kumar - Sat, 31 Jul 2021 21:58 UTC

On Monday, July 26, 2021 at 7:34:34 AM UTC-7, Raj Kumar wrote:
> [...]

> 4. I wonder if my poetry qualifies to be considered as "shriNgaar ras ki kavitaa"; I don't think I could have been that bold! :-)
> 5. Mo'azzam sahib ne jo raaye meri shaa'iri ke baare meN di hai, un se zaahir hota hai k mujh meN kuchh baat to hai ---- magar aap haiN k mujhe "aiveN ai" samajhte haiN. :-)
>
> Raj Kumar***
>
> _________________
>
> *Dr. Mo’azzam Siddiiqi earned his Master’s and Ph.D. degrees from the University of Berkeley, California, where he specialized in the study of Near-Eastern and South-Asian languages. Following that, he worked with the “Voice of America” where he directed various linguistic divisions over a period of 22 years. Since his retirement from the VoA, Dr. Siddiiqi has been teaching Urdu poetry, Urdu literature and sufiism at Georgetown University, Washington, D.C.

***guzashta se paivasta:

janaab-e-man, aap ke javaab ka intizaar karte karte, aek aur baat zehn meN aa'ii hai, jo bataane ke qaabil ma'aluum hoti hai.

voh yeh k jahaaN ham ne ka'ii baar 'solah-siNgaar' ki tarkeeb suni hai, vahaaN utni hi baar 'haar-shiNgaar' ki tarkeeb bhiiii suni hai. lafz 'shiNgaar' Platts meN nahiiN hai magar mujhe lagta hai k is lafz ne bhi 'shriNgaar' hi se janm liyaa hai. is zimn meN, aap yeh do-aek Haqaa'iq note keejiye:

1. jis Dibbay meN 'haar-shiNgaar' ki ashyaa rakkhi jaati haiN, us Dibbay ko 'shiNgaar baks" kahaa jaata hai, jaise 'jewelry box'.
2. In our native community, there was a sikh gentleman named "ShiNgaara Singh". yeh alag baat k ham ne ko'ii "ShiNgaar Kaur" nahiiN dekhi. :-)
3. aap ko dunyaa ke kone kone meN "ShiNgaar Boutiques", "ShiNgaar Fancy Shops", "ShiNgaar Fabrics" jaisi dukaaneN mil sakti haiN ------ India, UK aur USA ke ka'ii shahroN meN; ho sakta hai, Pakistan meN bhi hoN.
4. mere Khayaal meN yeh lafz bhi kisi na kisi Dictionary meN zaruur hoga aur ab voh Dictionary bhi aap hi ko DhuuNDna hogi! :-)

niyaaz-maNd, Raj Kumar***

Re: Word of the Month (07/10)- siNghaar

<daa7ed67-2d95-419a-9adf-906da4862373n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1437&group=alt.language.urdu.poetry#1437

Newsgroups: alt.language.urdu.poetry
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2021 15:35:16 -0700 (PDT)
From: rajkumar...@hotmail.com (Raj Kumar)
 by: Raj Kumar - Sat, 31 Jul 2021 22:35 UTC

On Friday, July 30, 2021 at 8:10:05 PM UTC-7, Mohit wrote:
> digressing a bit here following are the 16 singaar ( shringaar ) a bride is suppose to wear on her wedding
>
> 1. Bindi
> 2. Sindoor
> 3. Maang Tikka
> 4. Kajal
> 5. Nath/ Nosepin
> 6. Necklace
> 7. Earrings/karnphool ( sort of gold/metal flower ornament for ear )
> 8. Mehendi
> 9. Bangles
> 10.Baazuband
> 11. Aarsi ( worn in hand and has a big flower like design from wrist to finger )
> 12. Hair Accessory ( generally flowers, Gajra )
> 13. Kamarband / tagdi
> 14. Payal & Bichuas (bichhuas being a must for a married woman )
> 15. Itr ( scent )
> 16. Shaadi ka Joda
>

> Natyashastra ( oldest literature on theater ) Bharatmuni described 9 rasas ( aesthetics ) of theater somewhere 400 BC, shringaar ras being the king of rasa and it represents love and separation, bit like vasl and judaai... I am no expert on Rasas but shringaar/singaar rasa I read as a part of my MBA course where I was studying Asian Philosophies...

***janaab Mohit sahib:

Thanks for the interesting info you have provided here. I am glad that you have also brought in the word "shriNgaar".

Your list of 'solah-siNgaar' is quite enchanting. I might mention that Platts has also given such a list, which is more or less the same as you have given. There are a couple of differences but only minor ones.

It is remarkable that you studied "shriNgaar/siNgaar ras" in your MBA course. This must have earned you the degree "Master of Beauty Advancement"! :-)

Raj Kumar***

Re: Word of the Month (07/10)- siNghaar

<a8ff7e82-4114-466f-9eef-05b60924983bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1438&group=alt.language.urdu.poetry#1438

Newsgroups: alt.language.urdu.poetry
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2021 18:01:08 -0700 (PDT)
From: zbi...@yahoo.com (Zoya)
 by: Zoya - Sun, 1 Aug 2021 01:01 UTC

On Friday, July 30, 2021 at 10:10:05 PM UTC-5, Mohit wrote:
> digressing a bit here following are the 16 singaar ( shringaar ) a bride is suppose to wear on her wedding
>
> 1. Bindi
> 2. Sindoor
> 3. Maang Tikka
> 4. Kajal
> 5. Nath/ Nosepin
> 6. Necklace
> 7. Earrings/karnphool ( sort of gold/metal flower ornament for ear )
> 8. Mehendi
> 9. Bangles
> 10.Baazuband
> 11. Aarsi ( worn in hand and has a big flower like design from wrist to finger )
> 12. Hair Accessory ( generally flowers, Gajra )
> 13. Kamarband / tagdi
> 14. Payal & Bichuas (bichhuas being a must for a married woman )
> 15. Itr ( scent )
> 16. Shaadi ka Joda

Mohit,

Thank you so much for providing the list of 'solah singaar'. This is something I have wondered about many times over the years, just never got around to researching the details. Beautiful.
Oh and regarding #14, I went through a long 'bichhuaa phase' in my teenage years, and it had nothing to do with being married! :-)
At one point in time, I owned at least two dozen pairs of silver toerings, all kinds of designs, some pretty colorful. It was such a fashion statement.. I even had a gold pair custom made! I should dig through some old jewelry boxes, I bet you I still have some buried somewhere. BTW, for obvious reasons, bichhuaas are hard to wear with closed toe shoes, only sandals.

Thanks again,

_______Zoya

Re: Word of the Month (07/10)- siNghaar

<16ee409b-0dcd-4a9f-b685-68a34c6f9209n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1439&group=alt.language.urdu.poetry#1439

Newsgroups: alt.language.urdu.poetry
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2021 18:17:17 -0700 (PDT)
From: zbi...@yahoo.com (Zoya)
 by: Zoya - Sun, 1 Aug 2021 01:17 UTC

On Saturday, July 31, 2021 at 4:58:57 PM UTC-5, Raj Kumar wrote:
> **
> 1. jis Dibbay meN 'haar-shiNgaar' ki ashyaa rakkhi jaati haiN, us Dibbay ko 'shiNgaar baks" kahaa jaata hai, jaise 'jewelry box'.

Raj uncle,

You stole my thunder. For the last couple of days, I've been meaning to mention 'haar-shingaar' in this thread, didn't get around to it because have been too busy watching the Olympics! Well, at least we are on the same wavelength once again. :-)

Q for you: Is 'haar shingaar' mainly Punjabi, or is it also used it Hindi?

> 2. In our native community, there was a sikh gentleman named "ShiNgaara Singh". yeh alag baat k ham ne ko'ii "ShiNgaar Kaur" nahiiN dekhi. :-)

arrrrrre, aap ne "ShiNgaar Kaur" kabhi nahiiN dekhi ?! phir aap ne dunyaa meN dekhaa hii kyaa Raj uncle. baqaul Rahat Indori:

"ham se milnaa kabhi, Punjab dikhaayeN ge tumheN!" :-)))

> 3. aap ko dunyaa ke kone kone meN "ShiNgaar Boutiques", "ShiNgaar Fancy Shops", "ShiNgaar Fabrics" jaisi dukaaneN mil sakti haiN ------ India, UK aur USA ke ka'ii shahroN meN; ho sakta hai, Pakistan meN bhi hoN.

And don't forget 'Shingaar Beauty Salons", they are also very common. ab mujhe aisaa kyuN lag rahaa hai k aap ke in sab dukaanoN ke aas paas kaafi chakkar lagte rahe haiN? :)

> 4. mere Khayaal meN yeh lafz bhi kisi na kisi Dictionary meN zaruur hoga aur ab voh Dictionary bhi aap hi ko DhuuNDna hogi! :-)

I agree. This is a good one to be delegated. I am curious too.

> niyaaz-maNd, Raj Kumar***

This has been fun, thanks.

_______Zoya

Re: Word of the Month (07/10)- siNghaar

<2111bc4c-35cf-44ed-bb8c-133071d82052n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1454&group=alt.language.urdu.poetry#1454

Newsgroups: alt.language.urdu.poetry
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2021 23:05:18 -0700 (PDT)
From: irfanal...@gmail.com (Irfan Abid)
 by: Irfan Abid - Sat, 7 Aug 2021 06:05 UTC

On Friday, July 23, 2021 at 2:35:00 PM UTC-4, Naseer wrote:
> Raj Kumar and Irfan SaaHibaan, aadaab.
>
> Is this in your view "siNghaar" or "siNgaar" or are both of them valid in Urdu poetry? Which of these two words would be your choice when composing your own poetry?
>
> Naseer

Nasser sb, aadaaz arz hai!

A lot has already been said about "siNghaar" and "siNgaar." However, since you have called upon me, I want to say that I have never come across "siNghaar" in Urdu poetry. I have always seen the "siNgaar" form of the word.

niyaazmand,
Irfan :Abid:

Re: Word of the Month (07/10)- siNghaar

<9ca66865-57fd-45f5-92e4-30c82695c960n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1458&group=alt.language.urdu.poetry#1458

Newsgroups: alt.language.urdu.poetry
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2021 15:05:07 -0700 (PDT)
From: qures...@gmail.com (Naseer)
 by: Naseer - Sat, 7 Aug 2021 22:05 UTC

> [...]
> 4. I wonder if my poetry qualifies to be considered as "shriNgaar ras ki kavitaa"; I don't think I could have been that bold! :-)
> 5. Mo'azzam sahib ne jo raaye meri shaa'iri ke baare meN di hai, un se zaahir hota hai k mujh meN kuchh baat to hai ---- magar aap haiN k mujhe "aiveN ai" samajhte haiN. :-)
>
> Raj Kumar***
>
> _________________
>
> *Dr. Mo’azzam Siddiiqi earned his Master’s and Ph.D. degrees from the University of Berkeley, California, where he specialized in the study of Near-Eastern and South-Asian languages. Following that, he worked with the “Voice of America” where he directed various linguistic divisions over a period of 22 years. Since his retirement from the VoA, Dr. Siddiiqi has been teaching Urdu poetry, Urdu literature and sufiism at Georgetown University, Washington, D.C.

muHtaram Raj Kumar and Irfan SaaHib, aadaab.

I am indebited to you, Raj Kumar SaaHib, for the time you have taken to respond to my query. Frankly, I don't know why you would n't use the word siNgaar/siNghaar when composing your poetry! Won't you feel like describing the solah-siNgaar/siNghaar of your beloved sometimes?:-)

In terms of dictionaries, Platts, Fallon, Nurul LuGhaat, and Sarmaayah-i-Zabaan-i-Urdu (Jalal Lakhnavi) only have siNgaar whereas Urdu LuGhat and Farhang-i-Asifiyyah has both. Irfan SaaHib has indicated that he has never come across "siNghaar" in Urdu poetry. Urdu LuGhat is a good dictionary for providing sources of words and Rekhta too is a good source to serve the same purpose. The latter gives many occurrences of usage of the word "siNghaar" by Urdu poets but out of those, perhaps Nazm Tabatabaa'ii is the most well known

xvud jo Gham haiN to aa'inah HairaaN
kis Ghazab kaa siNghaar kar baiThe

The oldest occurrence of this word according to Urdu LuGhat is in "sab-ras" by Mulla Vajhi written in 1635.

himmat-i-mardaaN kaa siNghaar, himmat-i-SaaHib-dardaaN kaa udhaar

Vali Dakkani has also used this word..(1707)

raushan hai baat yih kih avval saadah-lauH thii
baxshe haiN us ke muNh soN siNghaar aarsii ke ta'iiN

Daya Shankar Naseem (1811-1845) in his Gulzaar-i-Naseem says...

ruuH afzaa ko siNghaar kar ke
maHv us kii hu’ii jo pyaar kar ke

Rasheed Hassan Khan, a renowned Urdu scholar in his commentary on this book, discusses this word...He has used several manuscripts, e.g Nusxah-i-matba3-i-MasiiHaa’ii (He), Nusxah-i-Chakbast (kaaf), Nusxah-i-Shirazi (shiin), Nusxah-i-Qazi Abdul Waduud (qaaf)...

siNghaar (shi3r no: 1475)...He, kaaf, shiin meN "siNghaar" hai. qaaf ke matn meN "siNgaar hai aur Haashiye par "siNghaar" likhaa hu'aa hai. Nur, Urdu LuGhat, Sarmaayah-i-Urdu, Fallon aur Platts ke luGhaat meN sirf "singaar" hai. sirf Asifiyyah meN "siNghaar"bhii hai magar us ke taHt likhaa hu'aa hai, "dekho siNgaar". is se ek baat to yih ma3luum hotii hai ki mu'allif ke nazdiik murajjaH shakl "siNgaar" hai aur duusrii baat yih bhii ma3luum hotii hai kih is kii ek shakl "siNghaar" thii zaruur. nusxah-i-He aur kaaf meN "siNghaar" kaa honaa isii par dalaalat kartaa hai. isii binaa par is imlaa ko bar-qaraar rakkhaa gayaa hai..."

Contrary to the above, both "siNgaar" and siNghaar are found in Urdu LuGhat.. They both appear to be synonymous although there seem to be more entries under "siNgaar". siNgaar-haar is a plant with white petals and yellow stalks used to extract a yellow dye whence we get "haar-siNgaar" in the sense of "make-up". There is a verb "siNgaarnaa" which means "saNvaarnaa/aaraastah karnaa".

You (Raj Kumar SaaHib) have alluded to Firaq Gorakhpuri's "ruup".. 1947 edition where under the title, one finds "siNghaar-ras kii rubaa3iyaaN".

I found two rybaa3iis where the word used is "singaar" (page 129 and page 188). However on page 237, one rubaa3ii has the word "siriNgaar" and the meaning of the word in the footnote is given as "siNghaar".

I have a feeling that the word "siNghaar" is not common if not altogether absent in Hindi literature. The conclusion that I have arrived is this and it is not too dissimilar to the one you have reached. The original Sanskrit word in question is "shriNgaar" whose more colloquial pronunciation is "sriNgaar" (Just like Urdu speakers say Siri Lanka for Shri Lanka/Siri Nagar for Shri Nagar). Then the next stage of the metamorphosis was siNghaar > siNgaar.

शृङ्गार śṛṅgāra शृङ्गार sriṅg-âra a. handsome, fine (rare); fine garments, finery (also of the ornamental trappings of an elephant); sexual love; erotic sentiment in a poem (it is of two kinds, sambhoga- and vipralambha-sri

शृङ्गारित śṛṅgārita शृङ्गारित sriṅgâr-ita den. pp. adorned; -in, a. id.; beautifully dressed; enamoured; erotic.

If we exclude the elephant connection:-), we can see that it had a dual meaning. It's sexual love as well as fine garments/adorned/beautifully dressed.. In Urdu, it seems that both siNgaar/siNghaar have been reduced to a woman's make-up and their sexual/romantic/sensual content has been forgotten in modern times. Well, at least, until Firaq's rubaa3iis in the form of his book "ruup" !

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Word of the Month (07/10)- siNghaar

<fcacd05d-c1fd-405e-b51b-eda512581d63n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1462&group=alt.language.urdu.poetry#1462

Newsgroups: alt.language.urdu.poetry
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2021 14:37:38 -0700 (PDT)
From: rajkumar...@hotmail.com (Raj Kumar)
 by: Raj Kumar - Sun, 8 Aug 2021 21:37 UTC

On Saturday, August 7, 2021 at 3:05:08 PM UTC-7, Naseer wrote:
> On Monday, 26 July 2021 at 15:34:34 UTC+1, Raj Kumar wrote:

> muHtaram Raj Kumar and Irfan SaaHib, aadaab.
>
> I am indebited to you, Raj Kumar SaaHib, for the time you have taken to respond to my query. Frankly, I don't know why you would n't use the word siNgaar/siNghaar when composing your poetry! Won't you feel like describing the solah-siNgaar/siNghaar of your beloved sometimes?:-)

***janaab-e-man, hamaari maHbuuba aisi rahii-sahii nahiiN hai k use haar-shiNgaar ki zaruurat paRe. us ke Husn ki chamak-damak to aisi hai jaise

nahiiN moHtaaj zevar kaa jise Khuubii Khudaa ne dii
zaraa dekho to kitnaa Khush-numaa hai chaaNd be-gahne!

haaN, kabhi kabhi chaaNd ki taraH us ke chehre par bhi daaGh numuu-daar hote haiN magar itne nahiiN jitne hamaare dil-e-daaGhdaar par haiN! :-)***

> In terms of dictionaries, Platts, Fallon, Nurul LuGhaat, and Sarmaayah-i-Zabaan-i-Urdu (Jalal Lakhnavi) only have siNgaar whereas Urdu LuGhat and Farhang-i-Asifiyyah has both. Irfan SaaHib has indicated that he has never come across "siNghaar" in Urdu poetry. Urdu LuGhat is a good dictionary for providing sources of words and Rekhta too is a good source to serve the same purpose. The latter gives many occurrences of usage of the word "siNghaar" by Urdu poets but out of those, perhaps Nazm Tabatabaa'ii is the most well known
>
> xvud jo Gham haiN to aa'inah HairaaN
> kis Ghazab kaa siNghaar kar baiThe

***NT ka she'r hai to dil-chasp magar is meN lafz "Gham" ki ko'ii tuk nahiiN ban rahii. What do you think?***

> The oldest occurrence of this word according to Urdu LuGhat is in "sab-ras" by Mulla Vajhi written in 1635.
>
> himmat-i-mardaaN kaa siNghaar, himmat-i-SaaHib-dardaaN kaa udhaar

***yahaaN duusra misr'a kuchh Theek nahiiN lag rahaa. Please double check!***
> Rasheed Hassan Khan, a renowned Urdu scholar in his commentary on this book, discusses this word...He has used several manuscripts, e.g Nusxah-i-matba3-i-MasiiHaa’ii (He), Nusxah-i-Chakbast (kaaf), Nusxah-i-Shirazi (shiin), Nusxah-i-Qazi Abdul Waduud (qaaf)...
>
> siNghaar (shi3r no: 1475)...He, kaaf, shiin meN "siNghaar" hai. qaaf ke matn meN "siNgaar hai aur Haashiye par "siNghaar" likhaa hu'aa hai. Nur, Urdu LuGhat, Sarmaayah-i-Urdu, Fallon aur Platts ke luGhaat meN sirf "singaar" hai. sirf Asifiyyah meN "siNghaar"bhii hai magar us ke taHt likhaa hu'aa hai, "dekho siNgaar". is se ek baat to yih ma3luum hotii hai ki mu'allif ke nazdiik murajjaH shakl "siNgaar" hai aur duusrii baat yih bhii ma3luum hotii hai kih is kii ek shakl "siNghaar" thii zaruur. nusxah-i-He aur kaaf meN "siNghaar" kaa honaa isii par dalaalat kartaa hai. isii binaa par is imlaa ko bar-qaraar rakkhaa gayaa hai..."
>
> Contrary to the above, both "siNgaar" and siNghaar are found in Urdu LuGhat. They both appear to be synonymous although there seem to be more entries under "siNgaar". siNgaar-haar is a plant with white petals and yellow stalks used to extract a yellow dye whence we get "haar-siNgaar" in the sense of "make-up". There is a verb "siNgaarnaa" which means "saNvaarnaa/aaraastah karnaa".
>
> You (Raj Kumar SaaHib) have alluded to Firaq Gorakhpuri's "ruup".. 1947 edition where under the title, one finds "siNghaar-ras kii rubaa3iyaaN".
>
> I found two rybaa3iis where the word used is "singaar" (page 129 and page 188). However on page 237, one rubaa3ii has the word "siriNgaar" and the meaning of the word in the footnote is given as "siNghaar".

***Good job, Naseer sahib!

B/W, the numbers you have given above are rubaa'ii #s. In my copy of "Ruup", they appear on pp. 81, 111 and 135.
May be, your copy has one rubaa'ii per page --- mine has two.***

> I have a feeling that the word "siNghaar" is not common if not altogether absent in Hindi literature. The conclusion that I have arrived is this and it is not too dissimilar to the one you have reached. The original Sanskrit word in question is "shriNgaar" whose more colloquial pronunciation is "sriNgaar" (Just like Urdu speakers say Siri Lanka for Shri Lanka/Siri Nagar for Shri Nagar). Then the next stage of the metamorphosis was siNghaar > siNgaar.

***At least here we are on the same page! :-)***
> शृङ्गार śṛṅgāra शृङ्गार sriṅg-âra a. handsome, fine (rare); fine garments, finery (also of the ornamental trappings of an elephant); sexual love; erotic sentiment in a poem (it is of two kinds, sambhoga- and vipralambha-sri
>
> शृङ्गारित śṛṅgārita शृङ्गारित sriṅgâr-ita den. pp. adorned; -in, a. id.; beautifully dressed; enamoured; erotic.
>
> If we exclude the elephant connection:-), we can see that it had a dual meaning. It's sexual love as well as fine garments/adorned/beautifully dressed. In Urdu, it seems that both siNgaar/siNghaar have been reduced to a woman's make-up and their sexual/romantic/sensual content has been forgotten in modern times. Well, at least, until Firaq's rubaa3iis in the form of his book "ruup" !

***This is one part of Firaq's poetry that puts him apart from other Urdu poets; in the opinion of most reviewers, there are other parts too!
niyaaz-maNd, Raj Kumar***

arts / alt.language.urdu.poetry / Re: Word of the Month (07/10)- siNghaar