You will be run over by a bus.

arts / rec.arts.tv / What Did You Watch? 2022-07-12 (Tuesday)

SubjectAuthor
* What Did You Watch? 2022-07-12 (Tuesday)Ubiquitous
+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-12 (Tuesday)Ian J. Ball
|+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-12 (Tuesday)Arthur Lipscomb
||+- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-12 (Tuesday)Ian J. Ball
||+- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-12 (Tuesday)Dimensional Traveler
||+- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-12 (Tuesday)Ian J. Ball
||`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-12 (Tuesday)Micky DuPree
|| `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-12 (Tuesday)A Friend
||  `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-12 (Tuesday)Arthur Lipscomb
|`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-12 (Tuesday)Dimensional Traveler
| `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-12 (Tuesday)Arthur Lipscomb
|  `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-12 (Tuesday)Ian J. Ball
|   `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-12 (Tuesday)anim8rfsk
|    `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-12 (Tuesday)Dimensional Traveler
`- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-12 (Tuesday)Bruce Vanderson

1
What Did You Watch? 2022-07-12 (Tuesday)

<UBI20220712@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=146461&group=rec.arts.tv#146461

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-12 (Tuesday)
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2022 04:30:41 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Wed, 13 Jul 2022 08:30 UTC

The day my Internet and landline phone service was restored, I watched:

GLEN BECK

THE DARK SIDE OF THE 90'S:
"Tabloid TV". The tabloidification of '90s America, featuring the story of
how Amy Fisher shot Mary Jo Buttafuoco in the head.

WELCOME TO PLATVILLE:
"You Have A Lot Of Nerve". Kim and Micah share first-ever cocktails together
(and Kim manages to look like she's chewing gum while also sipping a
Margarita in a tall glass) and Kim reveals the reasoning behind her parenting
choices (and we still loathe her). After years, Ethan and Barry finally make
amends (and Barry seems to be gleeful that Kim isnt bogueing his game), but
Ethan keeps new secrets from Olivia (Why Ethan. Why?!?). Lydia asks Kim tough
questions (and for once rhis season Inalmsot like her).

What did you watch?

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-12 (Tuesday)

<tammi9$2d4e2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=146491&group=rec.arts.tv#146491

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-12 (Tuesday)
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2022 07:58:17 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Wed, 13 Jul 2022 14:58 UTC

On 2022-07-13 08:30:41 +0000, Ubiquitous said:

> What did you watch?

Yesterday, I ended up binging most of "The Terminal List":

The Terminal List (Prime) - Ep's #3-6.
I glad to report that the show markedly picks up with episode #3 -
if they had just *started* this show out as a "revenge flick", rather
than wasting time on set-up and the whole "unreliable narrator" stuff,
it would have gone a lot better.
But Reese starts putting together his "terminal list" (aka. "kill
list") in ep. #3 (though I guess he kind of accidentally starts the
list in episode #2), and the show improves from there, as Reese
continues to build, and go down, his list.
Episodes #3 and #5 have a lot of action.
Meanwhile, things are fleshed out, in terms of both Reese, and Katie
Buranek the nosy reporter. For instance, it's pretty much certain that
Taylor Kitsch's Ben is "real" by these episodes.
I didn't care for ep. #6 as much - it's much less actiony and spends
too much time in Resse's head, though I did like how Reese got himself
out of a jam. (It's too bad they wouldn't let Reese cause some reaol
"collateral damage" here, but I guess they're too afraid to muddy
"Reese is a real hero" message.)
I'll finish the last two episodes of this show today - I guess I'll
have to postpone "Motherland: Fort Salem" until tomorrow...

soaps: GH was entirely nuked by coverage of the political kangeroo
court - no new episode. And I had to pull DOOL off streaming.
DOOL (Peacock) - This was actually a really good episode - lot's
happens. Before the wedding, Kate urges Lucas to confess to Sami, but
Lucas is still having none of it. And it's Sami vs. EJ and Nicole -
Nicole is convinced that EJ will end up with Sami, but EJ insists he's
into Belle now... Sami and Lucas have their wedding ceremony. Liked how
Eric lost it in the middle there, hallucinating Nicole and Rafe!!
Meanwhile, Rafe has to tell Chad that Clyde Weston is cleared of
killing Abby - Chad then rushes to the wedding, convinced that Lucas is
the culprit, and drops a "truth bomb" on Sami!!

Play or Die (Prime) - Wildly disappointing. This takes too long to get
going. And once it gets going, it's not all that compelling.
It stars Roxane Mesquida, whom I just saw in "Kaboom!" (and who,
FTR, does not look good with bangs!).
Gist: a group of people play the equivalent of a scavenger hunt for
a company, but once they start playing, they start being murdered! -
It's finish the game's puzzles, or die!
This film *completely* falls apart at the end with a hare-brained
attempt at a "twist". (FTR, a twist in the other direction might have
worked...) The twist basically undoes most everything that came in the
film before, to the point where I think none of it makes any sense at
all.
IOW, this film just doesn't work.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-12 (Tuesday)

<tan6ak$2ep8r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=146691&group=rec.arts.tv#146691

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2022 12:27:13 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Wed, 13 Jul 2022 19:27 UTC

On 7/13/2022 7:58 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> On 2022-07-13 08:30:41 +0000, Ubiquitous said:
>
>> What did you watch?
>
> Yesterday, I ended up binging most of "The Terminal List":
>
> The Terminal List (Prime) - Ep's #3-6.

3.6? I honestly don't remember you ever mentioning this show before now!

>   I glad to report that the show markedly picks up with episode #3 - if
> they had just *started* this show out as a "revenge flick", rather than
> wasting time on set-up and the whole "unreliable narrator" stuff, it
> would have gone a lot better.
>   But Reese starts putting together his "terminal list" (aka. "kill
> list") in ep. #3 (though I guess he kind of accidentally starts the list
> in episode #2), and the show improves from there, as Reese continues to
> build, and go down, his list.
>   Episodes #3 and #5 have a lot of action.
>   Meanwhile, things are fleshed out, in terms of both Reese, and Katie
> Buranek the nosy reporter. For instance, it's pretty much certain that
> Taylor Kitsch's Ben is "real" by these episodes.
>   I didn't care for ep. #6 as much - it's much less actiony and spends
> too much time in Resse's head, though I did like how Reese got himself
> out of a jam. (It's too bad they wouldn't let Reese cause some reaol
> "collateral damage" here, but I guess they're too afraid to muddy "Reese
> is a real hero" message.)
>   I'll finish the last two episodes of this show today - I guess I'll
> have to postpone "Motherland: Fort Salem" until tomorrow...
>
> soaps: GH was entirely nuked by coverage of the political kangeroo court
> - no new episode. And I had to pull DOOL off streaming.
>   DOOL (Peacock) - This was actually a really good episode - lot's
> happens. Before the wedding, Kate urges Lucas to confess to Sami, but
> Lucas is still having none of it. And it's Sami vs. EJ and Nicole -
> Nicole is convinced that EJ will end up with Sami, but EJ insists he's
> into Belle now... Sami and Lucas have their wedding ceremony. Liked how
> Eric lost it in the middle there, hallucinating Nicole and Rafe!!
> Meanwhile, Rafe has to tell Chad that Clyde Weston is cleared of killing
> Abby - Chad then rushes to the wedding, convinced that Lucas is the
> culprit, and drops a "truth bomb" on Sami!!
>
> Play or Die (Prime) - Wildly disappointing. This takes too long to get
> going. And once it gets going, it's not all that compelling.
>   It stars Roxane Mesquida, whom I just saw in "Kaboom!" (and who, FTR,
> does not look good with bangs!).
>   Gist: a group of people play the equivalent of a scavenger hunt for a
> company, but once they start playing, they start being murdered! - It's
> finish the game's puzzles, or die!
>   This film *completely* falls apart at the end with a hare-brained
> attempt at a "twist". (FTR, a twist in the other direction might have
> worked...) The twist basically undoes most everything that came in the
> film before, to the point where I think none of it makes any sense at all.
>   IOW, this film just doesn't work.

This is a two day catch up. I watched:

Evil (Paramount+) - "The Angel of Warning" - The nun has her day in
court. Meanwhile the rest of the team investigate a possible miracle.

Motherland: Fort Salem - "The Price of Work" "Oh Elayne..." and "Happy
Yule!" I binged through the last three episodes. There was definitely
an uptick in quality as the show went on.

Better Call Saul - "Point and Shoot" - Season 6 resumes with the
aftermath of the shocking mid season finale. And things just keep
getting more intense from there.

Umma (Netflix disc rental) New 2020 horror movie starring Sandra Oh.
I'm not entirely sure how to describe the plot or if the lead character
was a reliable narrator or not. But basically Oh and her teenage
daughter are living out in the middle of nowhere raising bees. Oh has,
um, mother issues. Apparently there was some type of abuse when she was
a kid. Anyway her mother dies and her brother brings her the remains
along with a lecture for abandoning the family and not teaching her
daughter about her heritage. And as far as I can tell over the course
of the movie Oh is haunted by her mother's evil spirit and the spirit
tries to take over her body. Or something like that. I guess it was
OK, but I really started to tune out towards the end.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-12 (Tuesday)

<tan72i$2erm9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=146715&group=rec.arts.tv#146715

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2022 12:40:02 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Wed, 13 Jul 2022 19:40 UTC

On 2022-07-13 19:27:13 +0000, Arthur Lipscomb said:

> On 7/13/2022 7:58 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
>> On 2022-07-13 08:30:41 +0000, Ubiquitous said:
>>
>>> What did you watch?
>>
>> Yesterday, I ended up binging most of "The Terminal List":
>>
>> The Terminal List (Prime) - Ep's #3-6.
>
> 3.6? I honestly don't remember you ever mentioning this show before now!

It's ep's #3 *to* 6 (i.e. four episodes).

If a show hasn't been renewed for a second season, I just number the
episodes: #1, #3, #6, etc.

If a show has been renewed for a season 2, then I will switch to
numbering #1.1, #1.3, #1.6, etc.

"The Terminal List" hasn't been renewed (yet - it's sounding like it's
doing well enough that it might be...), so the numbering is just #1,
#3, #6, etc.

>>   I glad to report that the show markedly picks up with episode #3 - if
>> they had just *started* this show out as a "revenge flick", rather than
>> wasting time on set-up and the whole "unreliable narrator" stuff, it
>> would have gone a lot better.
>>   But Reese starts putting together his "terminal list" (aka. "kill
>> list") in ep. #3 (though I guess he kind of accidentally starts the
>> list in episode #2), and the show improves from there, as Reese
>> continues to build, and go down, his list.
>>   Episodes #3 and #5 have a lot of action.
>>   Meanwhile, things are fleshed out, in terms of both Reese, and Katie
>> Buranek the nosy reporter. For instance, it's pretty much certain that
>> Taylor Kitsch's Ben is "real" by these episodes.
>>   I didn't care for ep. #6 as much - it's much less actiony and spends
>> too much time in Resse's head, though I did like how Reese got himself
>> out of a jam. (It's too bad they wouldn't let Reese cause some reaol
>> "collateral damage" here, but I guess they're too afraid to muddy
>> "Reese is a real hero" message.)
>>   I'll finish the last two episodes of this show today - I guess I'll
>> have to postpone "Motherland: Fort Salem" until tomorrow...
>
> This is a two day catch up. I watched:
>

> Motherland: Fort Salem - "The Price of Work" "Oh Elayne..." and "Happy Yule!"

Will get to the latter tomorrow night.

> Umma (Netflix disc rental) New 2020 horror movie starring Sandra Oh.
> I'm not entirely sure how to describe the plot or if the lead character
> was a reliable narrator or not. But basically Oh and her teenage
> daughter are living out in the middle of nowhere raising bees. Oh has,
> um, mother issues. Apparently there was some type of abuse when she
> was a kid. Anyway her mother dies and her brother brings her the
> remains along with a lecture for abandoning the family and not teaching
> her daughter about her heritage. And as far as I can tell over the
> course of the movie Oh is haunted by her mother's evil spirit and the
> spirit tries to take over her body. Or something like that. I guess
> it was OK, but I really started to tune out towards the end.

No thanks! - I already don't like Sandra Oh, and you throw in
"unreliable narrator" and "supernatural horror", and I'm out!!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-12 (Tuesday)

<tan8ni$2eutt$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=146718&group=rec.arts.tv#146718

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2022 13:08:19 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Wed, 13 Jul 2022 20:08 UTC

I watched a 1985 movie about a teenage kid who gets involved with a mad
scientist who steals plutonium from a terrorist group to build a time
machine. When the terrorists kill the scientist, the kid escapes via
the time machine ending up 30 years in the past. He meets his bullied
teenage father and pushes him around because he’s such a wimp and still
is (was?) in the future. In the process he very clumsily seduces his
(fairly slutty) teen mother, stopping short of completing the seduction
only because he finally realizes he’s about to erase himself from
existence. In a series of unbelievable events he manages to push his
parents into hooking up, insuring his own conception. With the help of
the younger, but still as insane, mad scientist he proceeds to carry out
an implausible plan to power the time machine and return to his own time.

I didn’t enjoy it. Poor characterization and a ridiculous plot in an
attempt at a comedy just did not go over well. Apparently a big hit in
1985 spawning two sequels. Title ROT13’d to discourage others from
watching it. Onpx gb gur Shgher

dirty old man.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-12 (Tuesday)

<tan94i$2f32p$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=146721&group=rec.arts.tv#146721

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2022 13:15:15 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Wed, 13 Jul 2022 20:15 UTC

On 7/13/2022 12:27 PM, Arthur Lipscomb wrote:
> [...]
>>    This film *completely* falls apart at the end with a hare-brained
>> attempt at a "twist". (FTR, a twist in the other direction might have
>> worked...) The twist basically undoes most everything that came in the
>> film before, to the point where I think none of it makes any sense at
>> all.
>>    IOW, this film just doesn't work.
>>

> This is a two day catch up.  I watched:
>

> Evil (Paramount+) - "The Angel of Warning" - The nun has her day in
> court.  Meanwhile the rest of the team investigate a possible miracle.
>

> Motherland: Fort Salem - "The Price of Work" "Oh Elayne..." and "Happy
> Yule!" I binged through the last three episodes.  There was definitely
> an uptick in quality as the show went on.
>

> Better Call Saul - "Point and Shoot" - Season 6 resumes with the
> aftermath of the shocking mid season finale.  And things just keep

I've been recording this season but haven't watched any of it yet.
Waiting till I have all the episodes recorded. Speaking of which,
anyone got a link to a synopsis of last season's ending? Been so long
since that aired I don't remember much of anything about it.

dirty old man.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-12 (Tuesday)

<tan99r$2f3hv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=146722&group=rec.arts.tv#146722

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2022 13:18:01 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Wed, 13 Jul 2022 20:18 UTC

On 7/13/2022 1:08 PM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
> I watched a 1985 movie about a teenage kid who gets involved with a mad
> scientist who steals plutonium from a terrorist group to build a time
> machine.  When the terrorists kill the scientist, the kid escapes via
> the time machine ending up 30 years in the past.  He meets his bullied
> teenage father and pushes him around because he’s such a wimp and still
> is (was?) in the future.  In the process he very clumsily seduces his
> (fairly slutty) teen mother, stopping short of completing the seduction
> only because he finally realizes he’s about to erase himself from
> existence.  In a series of unbelievable events he manages to push his
> parents into hooking up, insuring his own conception.  With the help of
> the younger, but still as insane, mad scientist he proceeds to carry out
> an implausible plan to power the time machine and return to his own time.
>
> I didn’t enjoy it.  Poor characterization and a ridiculous plot in an
> attempt at a comedy just did not go over well.  Apparently a big hit in
> 1985 spawning two sequels.  Title ROT13’d to discourage others from
> watching it.  Onpx gb gur Shgher

The sequel is great. Much better than the first one. I didn't care
much for the third one. But I always force myself to watch it anyway.
I originally had plans to watch them this November 5, but I had push
those plans out a year to 2023. I figure if I'm going to watch them, I
might as well watch them on November 5. ;-)

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-12 (Tuesday)

<tanat6$2f8na$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=146727&group=rec.arts.tv#146727

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2022 13:45:26 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Wed, 13 Jul 2022 20:45 UTC

On 2022-07-13 20:18:01 +0000, Arthur Lipscomb said:

> On 7/13/2022 1:08 PM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
>> I watched a 1985 movie about a teenage kid who gets involved with a mad
>> scientist who steals plutonium from a terrorist group to build a time
>> machine.  When the terrorists kill the scientist, the kid escapes via
>> the time machine ending up 30 years in the past.  He meets his bullied
>> teenage father and pushes him around because he’s such a wimp and still
>> is (was?) in the future.  In the process he very clumsily seduces his
>> (fairly slutty) teen mother, stopping short of completing the seduction
>> only because he finally realizes he’s about to erase himself from
>> existence.  In a series of unbelievable events he manages to push his
>> parents into hooking up, insuring his own conception.  With the help of
>> the younger, but still as insane, mad scientist he proceeds to carry
>> out an implausible plan to power the time machine and return to his own
>> time.
>>
>> I didn’t enjoy it.  Poor characterization and a ridiculous plot in an
>> attempt at a comedy just did not go over well.  Apparently a big hit in
>> 1985 spawning two sequels.  Title ROT13’d to discourage others from
>> watching it.  Onpx gb gur Shgher

I've never heard of this film - does it star Rod Taylor?...

> The sequel is great. Much better than the first one.

Strongly disagree.

> I didn't care much for the third one.

This I agree with - I'm pretty sure "3" is the worst of the three, by
quite a lot IIRC.

> But I always force myself to watch it anyway. I originally had plans to
> watch them this November 5, but I had push those plans out a year to
> 2023. I figure if I'm going to watch them, I might as well watch them
> on November 5. ;-)

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-12 (Tuesday)

<365491306.679439529.972503.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=146784&group=rec.arts.tv#146784

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2022 20:14:08 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Thu, 14 Jul 2022 03:14 UTC

Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
> On 2022-07-13 20:18:01 +0000, Arthur Lipscomb said:
>
>> On 7/13/2022 1:08 PM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
>>> I watched a 1985 movie about a teenage kid who gets involved with a mad
>>> scientist who steals plutonium from a terrorist group to build a time
>>> machine.  When the terrorists kill the scientist, the kid escapes via
>>> the time machine ending up 30 years in the past.  He meets his bullied
>>> teenage father and pushes him around because he’s such a wimp and still
>>> is (was?) in the future.  In the process he very clumsily seduces his
>>> (fairly slutty) teen mother, stopping short of completing the seduction
>>> only because he finally realizes he’s about to erase himself from
>>> existence.  In a series of unbelievable events he manages to push his
>>> parents into hooking up, insuring his own conception.  With the help of
>>> the younger, but still as insane, mad scientist he proceeds to carry
>>> out an implausible plan to power the time machine and return to his own
>>> time.
>>>
>>> I didn’t enjoy it.  Poor characterization and a ridiculous plot in an
>>> attempt at a comedy just did not go over well.  Apparently a big hit in
>>> 1985 spawning two sequels.  Title ROT13’d to discourage others from
>>> watching it.  Onpx gb gur Shgher
>
> I've never heard of this film - does it star Rod Taylor?...

John Beck

>> The sequel is great. Much better than the first one.
>
> Strongly disagree.
>
>> I didn't care much for the third one.
>
> This I agree with - I'm pretty sure "3" is the worst of the three, by
> quite a lot IIRC.
>
>> But I always force myself to watch it anyway. I originally had plans to
>> watch them this November 5, but I had push those plans out a year to
>> 2023. I figure if I'm going to watch them, I might as well watch them
>> on November 5. ;-)

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-12 (Tuesday)

<tao6uu$2kgpn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=146794&group=rec.arts.tv#146794

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2022 21:44:17 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Thu, 14 Jul 2022 04:44 UTC

On 7/13/2022 8:14 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:

>> I've never heard of this film - does it star Rod Taylor?...
>
> John Beck

O_o

dirty old man.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-12 (Tuesday)

<CACv5b6eBE14v=h00Pf807o6ezFNiy83nwaT_LMG0G+gp5uhJ9A@mail.gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=146857&group=rec.arts.tv#146857

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: purplesp...@gmail.com (Bruce Vanderson)
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2022 10:57:28 -0400
 by: Bruce Vanderson - Thu, 14 Jul 2022 14:57 UTC

In article <UBI20220712@dont-email.me>, weberm@polaris.net wrote:
>The day my Internet and landline phone service was restored, I watched:
>
>GLEN BECK
>
>THE DARK SIDE OF THE 90'S:
>"Tabloid TV". The tabloidification of '90s America, featuring the story of
>how Amy Fisher shot Mary Jo Buttafuoco in the head.
>
>WELCOME TO PLATVILLE:
>"You Have A Lot Of Nerve". Kim and Micah share first-ever cocktails together
>(and Kim manages to look like she's chewing gum while also sipping a
>Margarita in a tall glass) and Kim reveals the reasoning behind her parenting
>choices (and we still loathe her). After years, Ethan and Barry finally make
>amends (and Barry seems to be gleeful that Kim isnt bogueing his game), but
>Ethan keeps new secrets from Olivia (Why Ethan. Why?!?). Lydia asks Kim tough
>questions (and for once rhis season Inalmsot like her).

That was a weird episode to me.

It was all a little jarring to go from the Direct TV commercial that Ethan and Moriah were
obviously doing to watching Kim and Moriah drink to listening to Kim telling her son that
her abuse as a child manifested traumatically into how she chose to raise her kids. It
isn't an excuse or a reason to justify how she and Barry raised them into this fundy
lifestyle, but I do feel like I saw some puzzles pieces come together. I don't care for
Kim, but my heart hurts for the trauma she endured a young age. That's terrible. That said,
I watched her and Barry be nasty, judgy assholes to people that weren't them and didn't
believe what they believe for seasons, so my sympathy only goes so far.

While I appreciated Ethan and Barry trying hard, what I didn't care for was the central
commonality felt like "oh, those harried broads of ours". Barry and Ethan have their own
part in the crazy that happened between the 4 of them, and they don't seen (outside of a
small blanket "my bad") willing to take more responsibility.

I find Lydia creepy and (LITERALLY) holy than thou "married to God" and "covenants cannot
be broken" talk to be creepy AF. That said, she learned this shit from Kim and Barry. So,
it is a little satisfying to watch her throw it at Kim. As always, Kim seems to have no
real patience for Lydia. Considering that Lydia is raising the younger children at this
point, that is some bullshit on Kim's part.

I can see that Ethan's anger and misplaced sadness at this situation with his parents
pushing him into lashing out and knowing he'll push Olivia's buttons. Misery loves company.
They seemed more playful and flirty at the end after their little bike ride. I still don't
really know how those two will work out. They have a lot of growing up to do.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-12 (Tuesday)

<tas1hb$339ff$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=147104&group=rec.arts.tv#147104

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2022 08:36:12 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Fri, 15 Jul 2022 15:36 UTC

On 2022-07-13 19:27:13 +0000, Arthur Lipscomb said:

>> On 2022-07-13 08:30:41 +0000, Ubiquitous said:
>>
>>> What did you watch?
>
> This is a two day catch up. I watched:
>
> Motherland: Fort Salem - "The Price of Work" "Oh Elayne..." and "Happy
> Yule!" I binged through the last three episodes. There was definitely
> an uptick in quality as the show went on.

My Gawd, "Happy Yule!" was weak!!

So far, season #3 has been disappointing - if this were season #3 out
of 5, it would be OK. But this is the final season! There should be a
lot more happening than is happening - "Happy Yule!" was basically a
"network time-killer"! This should not be happening in the show's final
season!!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-12 (Tuesday)

<tbt19j$kk5$1@pcls7.std.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=149189&group=rec.arts.tv#149189

From: MDuP...@theworld.com.snip.to.reply (Micky DuPree)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2022 03:54:27 +0000 (UTC)
 by: Micky DuPree - Thu, 28 Jul 2022 03:54 UTC

Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> writes:

> Better Call Saul - "Point and Shoot" - Season 6 resumes with the
> aftermath of the shocking mid season finale. And things just keep
> getting more intense from there.

"Just another day that ends in a 'y.'"

Since AMC put the first ep. of _Dark Winds_ in the same On Demand
package, I may as well mention I've seen the first season of this
Navaho/Dine' crime drama, and I thought it was excellent. It takes
place on a Dine' reservation in the early 1970s, following a
short-staffed native police force trying to deal with a seemingly
unrelated bank robbery, murder, kidnappings, and meddling FBI. I'm
usually blase' about crime dramas, but the period reservation setting
puts it way off the beaten path. Great characters, great acting, stark
southwest location shooting.

-Micky

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-12 (Tuesday)

<280720220654247816%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=149218&group=rec.arts.tv#149218

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2022 06:54:24 -0400
 by: A Friend - Thu, 28 Jul 2022 10:54 UTC

In article <tbt19j$kk5$1@pcls7.std.com>, Micky DuPree
<MDuPree@theworld.com.snip.to.reply> wrote:

> Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> writes:
>
> > Better Call Saul - "Point and Shoot" - Season 6 resumes with the
> > aftermath of the shocking mid season finale. And things just keep
> > getting more intense from there.
>
> "Just another day that ends in a 'y.'"
>

> Since AMC put the first ep. of _Dark Winds_ in the same On Demand
> package, I may as well mention I've seen the first season of this
> Navaho/Dine' crime drama, and I thought it was excellent. It takes
> place on a Dine' reservation in the early 1970s, following a
> short-staffed native police force trying to deal with a seemingly
> unrelated bank robbery, murder, kidnappings, and meddling FBI. I'm
> usually blase' about crime dramas, but the period reservation setting
> puts it way off the beaten path. Great characters, great acting, stark
> southwest location shooting.
>
> -Micky

Absolutely agreed. Terrific series.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-12 (Tuesday)

<tcq37h$ro0q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=151145&group=rec.arts.tv#151145

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2022 21:25:18 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Mon, 8 Aug 2022 04:25 UTC

On 7/28/2022 3:54 AM, A Friend wrote:
> In article <tbt19j$kk5$1@pcls7.std.com>, Micky DuPree
> <MDuPree@theworld.com.snip.to.reply> wrote:
>
>> Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> writes:
>>
>>> Better Call Saul - "Point and Shoot" - Season 6 resumes with the
>>> aftermath of the shocking mid season finale. And things just keep
>>> getting more intense from there.
>>
>> "Just another day that ends in a 'y.'"
>>

>> Since AMC put the first ep. of _Dark Winds_ in the same On Demand
>> package, I may as well mention I've seen the first season of this
>> Navaho/Dine' crime drama, and I thought it was excellent. It takes
>> place on a Dine' reservation in the early 1970s, following a
>> short-staffed native police force trying to deal with a seemingly
>> unrelated bank robbery, murder, kidnappings, and meddling FBI. I'm
>> usually blase' about crime dramas, but the period reservation setting
>> puts it way off the beaten path. Great characters, great acting, stark
>> southwest location shooting.
>>
>> -Micky
>

> Absolutely agreed. Terrific series.

If I had it on my DVR there would be a good chance I'd sample it, but
it's already several episodes in. Odds are I won't get to it. But I'll
keep it in mind.