We all live under the same sky, but we don't all have the same horizon. -- Dr. Konrad Adenauer

arts / rec.arts.sf.fandom / Re: Warning for Virginia libertarians

SubjectAuthor
* Warning for Virginia libertariansKeith F. Lynch
`* Re: Warning for Virginia libertariansAlan Woodford
 +* Re: Warning for Virginia libertariansTim Merrigan
 |+* Re: Warning for Virginia libertariansKeith F. Lynch
 ||+- Re: Warning for Virginia libertariansAlan Woodford
 ||`* Re: Warning for Virginia libertariansGary McGath
 || `* Re: Warning for Virginia libertariansKeith F. Lynch
 ||  `* Re: Warning for Virginia libertariansTim Merrigan
 ||   `* Re: Warning for Virginia libertariansPeter Trei
 ||    +* Re: Warning for Virginia libertariansGary McGath
 ||    |`- Re: Warning for Virginia libertariansKeith F. Lynch
 ||    `* Re: Warning for Virginia libertariansJibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
 ||     +- Re: Warning for Virginia libertariansTim Merrigan
 ||     `* Re: Warning for Virginia libertariansDorothy J Heydt
 ||      `- Re: Warning for Virginia libertariansNinapenda Jibini
 |+* Re: Warning for Virginia libertariansScott Dorsey
 ||`- Re: Warning for Virginia libertariansNinapenda Jibini
 |`- Re: Warning for Virginia libertariansAlan Woodford
 +* Re: Warning for Virginia libertariansKevrob
 |+* Re: Warning for Virginia libertariansKeith F. Lynch
 ||`- Re: Warning for Virginia libertariansKevrob
 |`- Re: Warning for Virginia libertariansAlan Woodford
 `* Re: Warning for Virginia libertariansNinapenda Jibini
  `- Re: Warning for Virginia libertariansAlan Woodford

1
Warning for Virginia libertarians

<slk1kc$i8h$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1421&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#1421

From: kfl...@KeithLynch.net (Keith F. Lynch)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Subject: Warning for Virginia libertarians
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2021 18:07:08 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Keith F. Lynch - Sat, 30 Oct 2021 18:07 UTC

There are three gubernatorial candidates listed on the Virginia
ballot. The names are followed by D, R, and LP. But beware!
LP doesn't stand for Libertarian Party. It stands for Liberation
Party. That candidate is extreme left. Here is her website:
https://www.princessblanding.com/

Ironically, I do agree with much of what she says about criminal
justice reform. But not with much of anything else she says.
--
Keith F. Lynch - http://keithlynch.net/

Re: Warning for Virginia libertarians

<646rngd5bu54ijdkumjv1cucvq46llnfgn@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1423&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#1423

From: ala...@thewoodfords.uk (Alan Woodford)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Subject: Re: Warning for Virginia libertarians
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2021 20:15:20 +0100
 by: Alan Woodford - Sat, 30 Oct 2021 19:15 UTC

On Sat, 30 Oct 2021 18:07:08 -0000 (UTC), "Keith F. Lynch"
<kfl@KeithLynch.net> wrote:

>There are three gubernatorial candidates listed on the Virginia
>ballot. The names are followed by D, R, and LP. But beware!
>LP doesn't stand for Libertarian Party. It stands for Liberation
>Party. That candidate is extreme left. Here is her website:
>https://www.princessblanding.com/
>
>Ironically, I do agree with much of what she says about criminal
>justice reform. But not with much of anything else she says.

That made interesting reading.

Kieth claims it is extreme left, but a surprisingly large chunk of the
proposals have already either been enacted or continued by the UK's
Conservative party - especially in the Labor and Healthcare sections.

If anyone is going to seriously try and convince me that the UK Tories are
extreme left, I reserve the right to fall off my chair laughing!

Alan "Political non-euclidean" Woodford

The Greying Lensman

Re: Warning for Virginia libertarians

<cc8rngp4c3o9b9eseufnhe05kvhad8hiaa@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1424&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#1424

From: tpp...@ca.rr.com (Tim Merrigan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2021 12:56:01 -0700
 by: Tim Merrigan - Sat, 30 Oct 2021 19:56 UTC

On Sat, 30 Oct 2021 20:15:20 +0100, Alan Woodford
<alan@thewoodfords.uk> wrote:

>On Sat, 30 Oct 2021 18:07:08 -0000 (UTC), "Keith F. Lynch"
><kfl@KeithLynch.net> wrote:
>
>>There are three gubernatorial candidates listed on the Virginia
>>ballot. The names are followed by D, R, and LP. But beware!
>>LP doesn't stand for Libertarian Party. It stands for Liberation
>>Party. That candidate is extreme left. Here is her website:
>>https://www.princessblanding.com/
>>
>>Ironically, I do agree with much of what she says about criminal
>>justice reform. But not with much of anything else she says.
>
>That made interesting reading.
>
>Kieth claims it is extreme left, but a surprisingly large chunk of the
>proposals have already either been enacted or continued by the UK's
>Conservative party - especially in the Labor and Healthcare sections.
>
>If anyone is going to seriously try and convince me that the UK Tories are
>extreme left, I reserve the right to fall off my chair laughing!
>
>Alan "Political non-euclidean" Woodford
>
>The Greying Lensman

I've long heard that the American left wing is slightly to the right
of most European conservatives, so that what are internationally
recognized as moderate or centrist policies, are seen in America as
extreme left.
--

Qualified immuninity = virtual impunity.

Tim Merrigan

https://www.avg.com

Re: Warning for Virginia libertarians

<41d2c4cb-c66f-43f9-a182-b02e4f9e673an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1426&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#1426

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2021 13:07:15 -0700 (PDT)
From: kev...@my-deja.com (Kevrob)
 by: Kevrob - Sat, 30 Oct 2021 20:07 UTC

On Saturday, October 30, 2021 at 3:15:23 PM UTC-4, Alan Woodford wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Oct 2021 18:07:08 -0000 (UTC), "Keith F. Lynch"
> <k...@KeithLynch.net> wrote:
>
> >There are three gubernatorial candidates listed on the Virginia
> >ballot. The names are followed by D, R, and LP. But beware!
> >LP doesn't stand for Libertarian Party. It stands for Liberation
> >Party. That candidate is extreme left. Here is her website:
> >https://www.princessblanding.com/
> >
> >Ironically, I do agree with much of what she says about criminal
> >justice reform. But not with much of anything else she says.
> That made interesting reading.

[quote]

“We believe the identification of ‘L’ for Libertarian has long been used in Virginia and voters understand
that ‘L’ officially represents a vote for the Libertarian Party,” Joe Paschal, the chair of the Libertarian Party
of Virginia, wrote in response. “We believe it would be unfair to ask our party to change the ballot
identification of ‘L’ after spending years establishing this familiarity with voters. As such, we request ‘L’ for
the Libertarian Party on all ballots in Virginia.”

[/quote]

https://www.virginiamercury.com/blog-va/libertarian-vs-liberation-creates-third-party-conundrum-on-virginia-ballots/

In New York the Libertarian Party 's ....

[quote]

....name was changed to the "Free Libertarian Party" when the New York Board of Elections ruled that the name
Libertarian Party would confuse voters with the Liberal Party of New York. However, the Board of Elections eventually
allowed the name "Libertarian Party" to be used. The Statue of Liberty is their ballot symbol, and they now appear on
the ballot as the Libertarian Party.

[/quote] - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libertarian_Party_of_New_York#History

Reaching back to 1970, there was almost a New York "Conservation Party." NY is one of
the few US states that allows fusion, or "cross-endorsement" by more than one party.

[quote]

The next to file, the State Department certified, was the Conservation party. This had Richard
L. Ottinger, already a Democratic candidate, as its choice for United States Senator. Its petitions
were knocked out in litigation on the ground the name was too close to the Conservatives'.

[/quote]

https://www.nytimes.com/1970/10/15/archives/lineup-on-ballot-may-help-rockefeller-and-buckley.html

James Buckley, WFB jr's "sainted brother" won that race. The seat had been held by Robert Kennedy
before his murder, and conservative Republicans were unhappy with the liberal Republican Rockefeller
had appointed, Charles Goodell.

> Kieth claims it is extreme left, but a surprisingly large chunk of the
> proposals have already either been enacted or continued by the UK's
> Conservative party - especially in the Labor and Healthcare sections.
>
> If anyone is going to seriously try and convince me that the UK Tories are
> extreme left, I reserve the right to fall off my chair laughing!

Don't fall on yer butskell.... :)

Different "window of discourse" here in the States, of course.

> Alan "Political non-euclidean" Woodford

I may be "Euclidean," but I insist on more than 1 axis for my
political map.

--
Kevin R

Re: Warning for Virginia libertarians

<slk9nk$2bu$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1427&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#1427

From: kfl...@KeithLynch.net (Keith F. Lynch)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2021 20:25:24 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Keith F. Lynch - Sat, 30 Oct 2021 20:25 UTC

Tim Merrigan <tppm@ca.rr.com> wrote:
> Alan Woodford <alan@thewoodfords.uk> wrote:
>> Kieth claims it is extreme left, but a surprisingly large chunk of
>> the proposals have already either been enacted or continued by the
>> UK's Conservative party - especially in the Labor and Healthcare
>> sections.

But then I also claim my name is spelled "Keith," so what do I know?

>> If anyone is going to seriously try and convince me that the UK
>> Tories are extreme left, I reserve the right to fall off my chair
>> laughing!

According to sources I trust, the Tory party hasn't had a prime
minister since the Duke of Wellington in 1834. But then the Peel
principles of policing, which date to the same decade, are way too far
left for any present-day police force in the US to accept. ("What do
you mean we can't randomly kill people and steal all their stuff?")

Speaking of which, that candidate's brother, a school teacher, was
murdered by cops in Virginia. Of course the killing was ruled
justified, on the grounds that the cops were cops, and were, as usual,
in fear for their lives. What bravery is to soldiers, cowardice is to
cops. It's their universal get-out-of-jail-free card. I'm surprised
they don't give out medals for Conspicuous Cowardice in the Presence
of the Enemy. The enemy of course being anyone they choose to kill
because they were in fear for their lives. "He moved his hand. He
might have been reaching for a weapon. So out of an abundance of
caution, I shot him ten times then pressed on his windpipe until a
medic confirmed that he was safe (i.e. dead)."

> I've long heard that the American left wing is slightly to the right
> of most European conservatives, so that what are internationally
> recognized as moderate or centrist policies, are seen in America as
> extreme left.

Does that include the Liberation Party's position of slavery
reparations? So what if all the victims and all the perpetrators are
long dead? They still have a few living grandchildren, or at least
great-grandchildren. If the party doesn't also favor giving all the
land back to the Indi^H^H^H Native Americans, maybe that's because
they have more black members than Native American members.

Do lefties in England favor giving all the land there back to the Celts?
--
Keith F. Lynch - http://keithlynch.net/

Re: Warning for Virginia libertarians

<slkat9$sta$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1428&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#1428

From: kfl...@KeithLynch.net (Keith F. Lynch)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2021 20:45:30 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Keith F. Lynch - Sat, 30 Oct 2021 20:45 UTC

Kevrob <kevrob@my-deja.com> wrote:
> "We believe the identification of 'L' for Libertarian has long
> been used in Virginia and voters understand that 'L' officially
> represents a vote for the Libertarian Party," Joe Paschal, the
> chair of the Libertarian Party of Virginia, wrote in response.

Use it or lose it. Why did they have no gubernatorial candidate on
the ballot this year? No Libertarian candidates at all for any office
on my district's ballot.

I voted straight "none of the above." Write-in, of course, since NOTA
is never given as an option. I only bothered to vote becuase there's
also a bond issue. (I voted early, lest Republicans once again get in
line without masks to intimidate non-Republican voters out of voting,
as they did last year.)
--
Keith F. Lynch - http://keithlynch.net/

Re: Warning for Virginia libertarians

<slkbjp$3uo$1@panix2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1430&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#1430

From: klu...@panix.com (Scott Dorsey)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Date: 30 Oct 2021 20:57:29 -0000
 by: Scott Dorsey - Sat, 30 Oct 2021 20:57 UTC

Tim Merrigan <tppm@ca.rr.com> wrote:

>I've long heard that the American left wing is slightly to the right
>of most European conservatives, so that what are internationally
>recognized as moderate or centrist policies, are seen in America as
>extreme left.

This is pretty much the case, although the American right has been drifting
farther and farther right, to the point where many of the policies promoted
by Ronald Reagan are now seen as leftist. It is very strange.
--scott

Re: Warning for Virginia libertarians

<XnsADD396975F37Btaustincagmailcom@85.12.62.232>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1431&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#1431

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
From: tausti...@gmail.com (Ninapenda Jibini)
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2021 21:48:16 GMT
 by: Ninapenda Jibini - Sat, 30 Oct 2021 21:48 UTC

Alan Woodford <alan@thewoodfords.uk> wrote in

> On Sat, 30 Oct 2021 18:07:08 -0000 (UTC), "Keith F. Lynch"
> <kfl@KeithLynch.net> wrote:
>
>>There are three gubernatorial candidates listed on the Virginia
>>ballot. The names are followed by D, R, and LP. But beware!
>>LP doesn't stand for Libertarian Party. It stands for
>>Liberation Party. That candidate is extreme left. Here is her
>>website: https://www.princessblanding.com/
>>
>>Ironically, I do agree with much of what she says about criminal
>>justice reform. But not with much of anything else she says.
>
> That made interesting reading.
>
> Kieth claims it is extreme left, but a surprisingly large chunk
> of the proposals have already either been enacted or continued
> by the UK's Conservative party - especially in the Labor and
> Healthcare sections.

Compared to the US, yes, they are extreme left.

> If anyone is going to seriously try and convince me that the UK
> Tories are extreme left, I reserve the right to fall off my
> chair laughing!

Reality believes in you whether you believe in it or not.

--
Terry Austin

Lynn:

-- David Bilek

Jesus forgives sinners, not criminals.

Re: Warning for Virginia libertarians

<XnsADD396E467404taustincagmailcom@85.12.62.232>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1432&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#1432

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
From: tausti...@gmail.com (Ninapenda Jibini)
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2021 21:50:02 GMT
 by: Ninapenda Jibini - Sat, 30 Oct 2021 21:50 UTC

kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote in

> Tim Merrigan <tppm@ca.rr.com> wrote:
>>
>>I've long heard that the American left wing is slightly to the
>>right of most European conservatives, so that what are
>>internationally recognized as moderate or centrist policies, are
>>seen in America as extreme left.
>
> This is pretty much the case, although the American right has
> been drifting farther and farther right, to the point where many
> of the policies promoted by Ronald Reagan are now seen as
> leftist. It is very strange. --scott

They're being driven there by the increasingly fanatical left. How
else would anyone who isn't insane or droolingly stupid expect them
to react?

--
Terry Austin

Lynn:

-- David Bilek

Jesus forgives sinners, not criminals.

Re: Warning for Virginia libertarians

<9ngsng9b6t00tco9fpv96chm532iuul5en@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1433&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#1433

From: ala...@thewoodfords.uk (Alan Woodford)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2021 07:17:47 +0000
 by: Alan Woodford - Sun, 31 Oct 2021 07:17 UTC

On Sat, 30 Oct 2021 12:56:01 -0700, Tim Merrigan <tppm@ca.rr.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 30 Oct 2021 20:15:20 +0100, Alan Woodford
><alan@thewoodfords.uk> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 30 Oct 2021 18:07:08 -0000 (UTC), "Keith F. Lynch"
>><kfl@KeithLynch.net> wrote:
>>
>>>There are three gubernatorial candidates listed on the Virginia
>>>ballot. The names are followed by D, R, and LP. But beware!
>>>LP doesn't stand for Libertarian Party. It stands for Liberation
>>>Party. That candidate is extreme left. Here is her website:
>>>https://www.princessblanding.com/
>>>
>>>Ironically, I do agree with much of what she says about criminal
>>>justice reform. But not with much of anything else she says.
>>
>>That made interesting reading.
>>
>>Kieth claims it is extreme left, but a surprisingly large chunk of the
>>proposals have already either been enacted or continued by the UK's
>>Conservative party - especially in the Labor and Healthcare sections.
>>
>>If anyone is going to seriously try and convince me that the UK Tories are
>>extreme left, I reserve the right to fall off my chair laughing!
>>
>>Alan "Political non-euclidean" Woodford
>>
>>The Greying Lensman
>
>I've long heard that the American left wing is slightly to the right
>of most European conservatives, so that what are internationally
>recognized as moderate or centrist policies, are seen in America as
>extreme left.

That's certainly what it looks like from here :-)

Alan Woodford
The Greying Lensman

Re: Warning for Virginia libertarians

<3vgsng9mv1la1pr7nrb3tptrakdsq1v07s@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1434&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#1434

From: ala...@thewoodfords.uk (Alan Woodford)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2021 07:22:50 +0000
 by: Alan Woodford - Sun, 31 Oct 2021 07:22 UTC

On Sat, 30 Oct 2021 21:48:16 GMT, Ninapenda Jibini <taustinca@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Alan Woodford <alan@thewoodfords.uk> wrote in

---snip---

>> Kieth claims it is extreme left, but a surprisingly large chunk
>> of the proposals have already either been enacted or continued
>> by the UK's Conservative party - especially in the Labor and
>> Healthcare sections.
>
>Compared to the US, yes, they are extreme left.
>>
>> If anyone is going to seriously try and convince me that the UK
>> Tories are extreme left, I reserve the right to fall off my
>> chair laughing!
>
>Reality believes in you whether you believe in it or not.

Thunk....

That's another dent in the floor :-)

Alan Woodford
The Greying Lensman

Re: Warning for Virginia libertarians

<jqfsnghkhg5g9gesorjt285b5sfdf3rh0m@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1435&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#1435

From: ala...@thewoodfords.uk (Alan Woodford)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2021 07:24:31 +0000
 by: Alan Woodford - Sun, 31 Oct 2021 07:24 UTC

On Sat, 30 Oct 2021 20:25:24 -0000 (UTC), "Keith F. Lynch"
<kfl@KeithLynch.net> wrote:

>Tim Merrigan <tppm@ca.rr.com> wrote:
>> Alan Woodford <alan@thewoodfords.uk> wrote:
>>> Kieth claims it is extreme left, but a surprisingly large chunk of
>>> the proposals have already either been enacted or continued by the
>>> UK's Conservative party - especially in the Labor and Healthcare
>>> sections.
>
>But then I also claim my name is spelled "Keith," so what do I know?

Sorry Keith, apologies for the typo - it certainly wasn't delliberate!

>>> If anyone is going to seriously try and convince me that the UK
>>> Tories are extreme left, I reserve the right to fall off my chair
>>> laughing!
>
>According to sources I trust, the Tory party hasn't had a prime
>minister since the Duke of Wellington in 1834. But then the Peel
>principles of policing, which date to the same decade, are way too far
>left for any present-day police force in the US to accept. ("What do
>you mean we can't randomly kill people and steal all their stuff?")

It may come as a shock to you, but our Conservative party are still referred
to informally as the Tories, even by themselves...

But of course, your sources -must- be more reliable than the actual
Conservative party themselves, mustn't they?

>Speaking of which, that candidate's brother, a school teacher, was
>murdered by cops in Virginia. Of course the killing was ruled
>justified, on the grounds that the cops were cops, and were, as usual,
>in fear for their lives. What bravery is to soldiers, cowardice is to
>cops. It's their universal get-out-of-jail-free card. I'm surprised
>they don't give out medals for Conspicuous Cowardice in the Presence
>of the Enemy. The enemy of course being anyone they choose to kill
>because they were in fear for their lives. "He moved his hand. He
>might have been reaching for a weapon. So out of an abundance of
>caution, I shot him ten times then pressed on his windpipe until a
>medic confirmed that he was safe (i.e. dead)."
>
>> I've long heard that the American left wing is slightly to the right
>> of most European conservatives, so that what are internationally
>> recognized as moderate or centrist policies, are seen in America as
>> extreme left.
>
>Does that include the Liberation Party's position of slavery
>reparations? So what if all the victims and all the perpetrators are
>long dead? They still have a few living grandchildren, or at least
>great-grandchildren. If the party doesn't also favor giving all the
>land back to the Indi^H^H^H Native Americans, maybe that's because
>they have more black members than Native American members.
>
>Do lefties in England favor giving all the land there back to the Celts?

You'd have to ask a leftie - by our standards I'm nowhere near being one!

Alan Woodford

The Greying Lensman

Re: Warning for Virginia libertarians

<2e1b593b-ce90-45f1-b03a-7b3daed3099fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1436&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#1436

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2021 05:18:13 -0700 (PDT)
From: kev...@my-deja.com (Kevrob)
 by: Kevrob - Sun, 31 Oct 2021 12:18 UTC

On Saturday, October 30, 2021 at 4:45:31 PM UTC-4, Keith F. Lynch wrote:
> Kevrob <kev...@my-deja.com> wrote:
> > "We believe the identification of 'L' for Libertarian has long
> > been used in Virginia and voters understand that 'L' officially
> > represents a vote for the Libertarian Party," Joe Paschal, the
> > chair of the Libertarian Party of Virginia, wrote in response.
> Use it or lose it. Why did they have no gubernatorial candidate on
> the ballot this year? No Libertarian candidates at all for any office
> on my district's ballot.
>
> I voted straight "none of the above." Write-in, of course, since NOTA
> is never given as an option. I only bothered to vote becuase there's
> also a bond issue. (I voted early, lest Republicans once again get in
> line without masks to intimidate non-Republican voters out of voting,
> as they did last year.)
> --

Candidate recruitment for the LP - excuse me, the "L" - is a major butt
pain. Getting someone to volunteer to have their name on the ballot
at all is one hurdle. Petitioning is another. One also has to decide
how much, if at all, the candidate will campaign. People who can handle
themselves in front of the potential voters and the media can be found,
but most won't want to make the commitment of time to travel their
state or district. Fundraising is another roadblock.

One can be a "paper candidate," and not campaign. There will still be
an official record that you hold libertarian views, which might be uncomfortable
for people in their business or personal lives. I've known some capable
holders of non-partisan, local offices who could not, in their opinion, step up
to run in a partisan election or just would not, preferring to stay where they could
actually get elected. One town councilman I knew told me that not only had
the Libertarians been after him to run for, to give one example, US House but
that the local Dems and Reps had also tried to recruit him. This was in Wisconsin,
which does not have voter registration by party.

--
Kevin R

Re: Warning for Virginia libertarians

<ps3tnglbs9rc24fjdaa8r2g6fqf4rcbols@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1437&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#1437

From: ala...@thewoodfords.uk (Alan Woodford)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2021 12:53:33 +0000
 by: Alan Woodford - Sun, 31 Oct 2021 12:53 UTC

On Sat, 30 Oct 2021 13:07:15 -0700 (PDT), Kevrob <kevrob@my-deja.com> wrote:

>On Saturday, October 30, 2021 at 3:15:23 PM UTC-4, Alan Woodford wrote:
>> If anyone is going to seriously try and convince me that the UK Tories are
>> extreme left, I reserve the right to fall off my chair laughing!
>>

>Don't fall on yer butskell.... :)
>
>Different "window of discourse" here in the States, of course.

Oh I get that most of our Conservatives would be very much centrists over
there, but the idea that anyone could claim the party of "The Iron Lady" is
extreme left would have her spinning in her grave :-)

>> Alan "Political non-euclidean" Woodford
>
>I may be "Euclidean," but I insist on more than 1 axis for my
>political map.

I suspect that most people do, if they pause to think about it!

Alan Woodford
The Greying Lensman

Re: Warning for Virginia libertarians

<slr5ne$p27$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1447&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#1447

From: gar...@REMOVEmcgathREMOVE.com (Gary McGath)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2021 06:59:57 -0400
 by: Gary McGath - Tue, 2 Nov 2021 10:59 UTC

On 10/30/21 4:25 PM, Keith F. Lynch wrote:
> Does that include the Liberation Party's position of slavery
> reparations? So what if all the victims and all the perpetrators are
> long dead? They still have a few living grandchildren, or at least
> great-grandchildren. If the party doesn't also favor giving all the
> land back to the Indi^H^H^H Native Americans, maybe that's because
> they have more black members than Native American members.

Many descendants of black slaves are also descendants of white rapists.
Should they be giving or receiving reparations?

--
Gary McGath http://www.mcgath.com

Re: Warning for Virginia libertarians

<sm6hpb$ou7$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1452&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#1452

From: kfl...@KeithLynch.net (Keith F. Lynch)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2021 18:33:15 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Keith F. Lynch - Sat, 6 Nov 2021 18:33 UTC

Gary McGath <garym@REMOVEmcgathREMOVE.com> wrote:
> Many descendants of black slaves are also descendants of white
> rapists. Should they be giving or receiving reparations?

Yes to both. With 156 years of compound interest, each of them owes
himself or herself at least ten million dollars. The government will
charge each such transaction a modest 5% processing fee.
--
Keith F. Lynch - http://keithlynch.net/

Re: Warning for Virginia libertarians

<7aodogpmr9ig2gevjm5p9dvrkaqm9cerp7@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1453&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#1453

From: tpp...@ca.rr.com (Tim Merrigan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2021 13:32:32 -0700
 by: Tim Merrigan - Sat, 6 Nov 2021 20:32 UTC

On Sat, 6 Nov 2021 18:33:15 -0000 (UTC), "Keith F. Lynch"
<kfl@KeithLynch.net> wrote:

>Gary McGath <garym@REMOVEmcgathREMOVE.com> wrote:
>> Many descendants of black slaves are also descendants of white
>> rapists. Should they be giving or receiving reparations?
>
>Yes to both. With 156 years of compound interest, each of them owes
>himself or herself at least ten million dollars. The government will
>charge each such transaction a modest 5% processing fee.

Is a child of rape owed reparations for the rape of their raped
parent?*†

*In the case of slavery, it doesn't matter which parent, since, by
virtue of the slavery, the enslaved party isn't allowed to decline.

†Also, by virtue of the slavery, even if the relationship is entirely,
actually, consensual, it's rape, because one party is not allowed to
decline. Just as sex with a minor is always rape, because one party
is not allowed to consent.
--

Qualified immuninity = virtual impunity.

Tim Merrigan

https://www.avg.com

Re: Warning for Virginia libertarians

<83b89275-4d3b-4086-9015-b3be33b69328n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1454&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#1454

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2021 19:15:15 -0700 (PDT)
From: petert...@gmail.com (Peter Trei)
 by: Peter Trei - Sun, 7 Nov 2021 02:15 UTC

On Saturday, November 6, 2021 at 4:32:34 PM UTC-4, merri...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Nov 2021 18:33:15 -0000 (UTC), "Keith F. Lynch"
> <k...@KeithLynch.net> wrote:
>
> >Gary McGath <ga...@REMOVEmcgathREMOVE.com> wrote:
> >> Many descendants of black slaves are also descendants of white
> >> rapists. Should they be giving or receiving reparations?
> >
> >Yes to both. With 156 years of compound interest, each of them owes
> >himself or herself at least ten million dollars. The government will
> >charge each such transaction a modest 5% processing fee.
> Is a child of rape owed reparations for the rape of their raped
> parent?*†
>
> *In the case of slavery, it doesn't matter which parent, since, by
> virtue of the slavery, the enslaved party isn't allowed to decline.
>
> †Also, by virtue of the slavery, even if the relationship is entirely,
> actually, consensual, it's rape, because one party is not allowed to
> decline. Just as sex with a minor is always rape, because one party
> is not allowed to consent.

How far back do you want to.go? Do Africans owe Jews reparations for
their captivity in Kemet (Egypt)?

Pt

Re: Warning for Virginia libertarians

<sm87rf$eaj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1455&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#1455

From: gar...@REMOVEmcgathREMOVE.com (Gary McGath)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2021 04:55:58 -0500
 by: Gary McGath - Sun, 7 Nov 2021 09:55 UTC

On 11/6/21 10:15 PM, Peter Trei wrote:
> On Saturday, November 6, 2021 at 4:32:34 PM UTC-4, merri...@gmail.com wrote:
>> On Sat, 6 Nov 2021 18:33:15 -0000 (UTC), "Keith F. Lynch"
>> <k...@KeithLynch.net> wrote:

>>> Yes to both. With 156 years of compound interest, each of them owes
>>> himself or herself at least ten million dollars. The government will
>>> charge each such transaction a modest 5% processing fee.
>> Is a child of rape owed reparations for the rape of their raped
>> parent?*†
>>
>> *In the case of slavery, it doesn't matter which parent, since, by
>> virtue of the slavery, the enslaved party isn't allowed to decline.
>>
>> †Also, by virtue of the slavery, even if the relationship is entirely,
>> actually, consensual, it's rape, because one party is not allowed to
>> decline. Just as sex with a minor is always rape, because one party
>> is not allowed to consent.
>
> How far back do you want to.go? Do Africans owe Jews reparations for
> their captivity in Kemet (Egypt)?

It's been estimated that there are 16 million descendants of Genghis
Khan. They owe reparations, or are owed them, or both.

--
Gary McGath http://www.mcgath.com

Re: Warning for Virginia libertarians

<XnsADDCA324C5057taustingmail@85.12.62.232>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1458&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#1458

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
From: tausti...@gmail.com (Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha)
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2021 16:02:15 -0700
 by: Jibini Kula Tumbili - Mon, 8 Nov 2021 23:02 UTC

Peter Trei <petertrei@gmail.com> wrote in

> On Saturday, November 6, 2021 at 4:32:34 PM UTC-4,
> merri...@gmail.com wrote:
>> On Sat, 6 Nov 2021 18:33:15 -0000 (UTC), "Keith F. Lynch"
>> <k...@KeithLynch.net> wrote:

>> >Yes to both. With 156 years of compound interest, each of them
>> >owes himself or herself at least ten million dollars. The
>> >government will charge each such transaction a modest 5%
>> >processing fee.
>> Is a child of rape owed reparations for the rape of their raped
>> parent?*†
>>
>> *In the case of slavery, it doesn't matter which parent, since,
>> by virtue of the slavery, the enslaved party isn't allowed to
>> decline.
>>
>> †Also, by virtue of the slavery, even if the relationship is
>> enti
> rely,
>> actually, consensual, it's rape, because one party is not
>> allowed to decline. Just as sex with a minor is always rape,
>> because one party is not allowed to consent.
>
> How far back do you want to.go? Do Africans owe Jews reparations
> for their captivity in Kemet (Egypt)?

And what about the descendants of the African kings (and their
warriors who did the dirty work) who sold black slaves to white
Europeans in the first place? Who do they owe reparations to?

--
Terry Austin

Lynn:
(May 2019 total for people arrested for entering the United States
illegally is over 132,000 for just the southwest border.)

Vacation photos from Iceland:

Re: Warning for Virginia libertarians

<c7jjog5gut4jtqbmr7uttfa8sneadljorg@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1459&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#1459

From: tpp...@ca.rr.com (Tim Merrigan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2021 17:24:20 -0800
 by: Tim Merrigan - Tue, 9 Nov 2021 01:24 UTC

On Mon, 08 Nov 2021 16:02:15 -0700, Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
<taustinca@gmail.com> wrote:

>Peter Trei <petertrei@gmail.com> wrote in
>
>> On Saturday, November 6, 2021 at 4:32:34 PM UTC-4,
>> merri...@gmail.com wrote:

>>> Is a child of rape owed reparations for the rape of their raped
>>> parent?*†
>>>
>>> *In the case of slavery, it doesn't matter which parent, since,
>>> by virtue of the slavery, the enslaved party isn't allowed to
>>> decline.
>>>
>>> †Also, by virtue of the slavery, even if the relationship is
>>> enti
>> rely,
>>> actually, consensual, it's rape, because one party is not
>>> allowed to decline. Just as sex with a minor is always rape,
>>> because one party is not allowed to consent.
>>
>> How far back do you want to.go? Do Africans owe Jews reparations
>> for their captivity in Kemet (Egypt)?
>>
>And what about the descendants of the African kings (and their
>warriors who did the dirty work) who sold black slaves to white
>Europeans in the first place? Who do they owe reparations to?

Or the Romans to, well, just about everyone who wasn't Roman, but in
particular, I was thinking of the Celts/Gauls.
--

Qualified immuninity = virtual impunity.

Tim Merrigan

https://www.avg.com

Re: Warning for Virginia libertarians

<r2AFn0.1Hx4@kithrup.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1460&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#1460

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
From: djhe...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt)
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2021 04:40:12 GMT
 by: Dorothy J Heydt - Tue, 9 Nov 2021 04:40 UTC

In article <XnsADDCA324C5057taustingmail@85.12.62.232>,
Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha <taustinca@gmail.com> wrote:
>Peter Trei <petertrei@gmail.com> wrote in
>
>> On Saturday, November 6, 2021 at 4:32:34 PM UTC-4,
>> merri...@gmail.com wrote:

>>> Is a child of rape owed reparations for the rape of their raped
>>> parent?*†
>>>
>>> *In the case of slavery, it doesn't matter which parent, since,
>>> by virtue of the slavery, the enslaved party isn't allowed to
>>> decline.
>>>
>>> †Also, by virtue of the slavery, even if the relationship is
>>> enti
>> rely,
>>> actually, consensual, it's rape, because one party is not
>>> allowed to decline. Just as sex with a minor is always rape,
>>> because one party is not allowed to consent.
>>
>> How far back do you want to.go? Do Africans owe Jews reparations
>> for their captivity in Kemet (Egypt)?
>>
>And what about the descendants of the African kings (and their
>warriors who did the dirty work) who sold black slaves to white
>Europeans in the first place? Who do they owe reparations to?

Good question, and one for which I have no answer. Enough time
passed may constitute a _de facto_ statute of limitations, if not
_de jure._

--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California

Re: Warning for Virginia libertarians

<XnsADDCEA92A90CFtaustincagmailcom@85.12.62.245>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1461&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#1461

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
From: tausti...@gmail.com (Ninapenda Jibini)
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2021 07:03:34 GMT
 by: Ninapenda Jibini - Tue, 9 Nov 2021 07:03 UTC

djheydt@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt) wrote in

> In article <XnsADDCA324C5057taustingmail@85.12.62.232>,
> Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha <taustinca@gmail.com> wrote:
>>Peter Trei <petertrei@gmail.com> wrote in

>>> rely,
>>>
>>> How far back do you want to.go? Do Africans owe Jews
>>> reparations for their captivity in Kemet (Egypt)?
>>>
>>And what about the descendants of the African kings (and their
>>warriors who did the dirty work) who sold black slaves to white
>>Europeans in the first place? Who do they owe reparations to?
>>
> Good question, and one for which I have no answer. Enough time
> passed may constitute a _de facto_ statute of limitations, if
> not _de jure._

And that is a 100% chance that those who see reparations as
anything other the theft from people who actually work for a
living will choose a cutoff point that involves stealing from
white people to give to not-white people.

You *know* I'm right.

The left are *far* more racist than the right.

--
Terry Austin

Lynn: https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/stats/sw-border-migration

-- David Bilek

Jesus forgives sinners, not criminals.

Re: Warning for Virginia libertarians

<smpaoi$sd7$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1465&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#1465

From: kfl...@KeithLynch.net (Keith F. Lynch)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2021 21:29:54 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Keith F. Lynch - Sat, 13 Nov 2021 21:29 UTC

Gary McGath <garym@REMOVEmcgathREMOVE.com> wrote:
> It's been estimated that there are 16 million descendants of Genghis
> Khan. They owe reparations, or are owed them, or both.

Are you sure it's so few? I'd heard that nearly all Asians alive
today are descendants of his. That's plausible, since he lived 800
years ago. That's 30 or 40 generations, and 2^30 is more than a
billion. Probably almost everyone who lived that long ago either
has millions of living descentants or none at all.

Since people have only about 25,000 genes, most of your ancestors more
than 16 generations back contributed no genes to you. I recently
learned that this is called a ghost ancestor.
--
Keith F. Lynch - http://keithlynch.net/