Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.guitar
Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2021 09:57:35 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Why Guitar is not taught in schools
From: marcelle...@gmail.com (Marcelle Haubold)
 by: Marcelle Haubold - Sat, 9 Oct 2021 16:57 UTC

On Thursday, March 27, 2008 at 5:57:20 PM UTC-5, Dicerous wrote:
> On Mar 27, 3:00 pm, Tashi <michaeltha...@starband.net> wrote:
> > On Mar 27, 1:50 pm, "edspyhil...@yahoo.com" <edspyhil...@yahoo.com>
> > wrote:
> >

> > > I've been talking to several people with kids in grade school and they
> > > were telling me there are classroom lessons for most wind instruments
> > > except piano and guitar.
> >
> > > I can see why piano is excluded - schools would need too many
> > > expensive painos and keep them tuned.
> >
> > > But guitar is another matter. I'm thinking it's because all the other
> > > instruments have one basic teaching method, "classical". Guitar has
> > > multiple methods for steal string and classical guitars, methods for
> > > folk, popular, rock, jazz and classical, pick style, finger style folk
> > > and classical, etc, but not one basic (accepted) way of learning the
> > > guitar.
> >
> > > Since there are people here who have direct experience with teaching
> > > children, individually and in school environments, can you comment on
> > > the reasons guitar is considered a one on one teacher/student taught
> > > instrument?
> >
> > > Ed S.
> >
> > Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the republicans do away with the
> > arts in public schools? My son has gone to school here in New Mexico
> > form 1 through 12 and I don't recall ever hearing about any musical
> > instrument being taught in public schools here.
> > I did happen to find him a good guitar teacher, as well as a cello
> > teacher, but it had nothing to do with the public school system.
> > MT
> Did you teach him where to buy his pot?
>
> David
Man what a cut. I played in bands for many years and people always assumed I was on drugs. In high school when I met the parents of the girls that I wanted to date when I said I played in a band and did not like sports they looked at me as if I was crazy. With short hair and my dating suit I usually convinced them I was not a drug fiend. The only things I liked about sports were the cheer leaders and playing at the dance after the football games. Keep it real dude!