Newsgroups: alt.tv.mtv,rec.arts.tv,rec.arts.movies
Subject: When MTV Meant Something: The Big Picture (1988)
From: tmc1...@gmail.com
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2022 00:37:32 -0700 (PDT)
 by: tmc1...@gmail.com - Thu, 14 Jul 2022 07:37 UTC

https://thelandofwhatever.blogspot.com/2019/07/when-mtv-meant-something-big-picture.html

As the 80's were drawing to a gradual close, MTV was expanding its programming catalogue
to include a show about movies. No, they didn't repurpose the PBS series, Sneak Previews,
but, rather, developed their own show in conjunction with Premiere, a then-emerging movie
magazine that sought to do for movies what Rolling Stone was doing for pop culture in
general.

The Big Picture premiered in 1988, airing as memory serves on weekends. Premiere senior
editor Chris Connelly, now with ESPN, served as host. Sorry to say, there's no Wikipedia
entry that tells us how long the show actually lasted. It was pretty much a half hour
infomercial for Premiere, which probably contributed to its short shelf life on the air.

Rating: A.

Re: When MTV Meant Something: The Big Picture (1988)

<160720221829482537%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=147394&group=rec.arts.tv#147394

Subject: Re: When MTV Meant Something: The Big Picture (1988)
From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: alt.tv.mtv,rec.arts.tv,rec.arts.movies
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2022 18:29:48 -0400
 by: A Friend - Sat, 16 Jul 2022 22:29 UTC

In article <n8251782f-1f50-4d10-9325-186cddb446fen@googlegroups.com>,
<tmc1982@gmail.com> wrote:

> https://thelandofwhatever.blogspot.com/2019/07/when-mtv-meant-something-big-pi
> cture.html
>
> As the 80's were drawing to a gradual close, MTV was expanding its
> programming catalogue to include a show about movies. No, they didn't
> repurpose the PBS series, Sneak Previews, but, rather, developed
> their own show in conjunction with Premiere, a then-emerging movie
> magazine that sought to do for movies what Rolling Stone was doing
> for pop culture in general.
>
> The Big Picture premiered in 1988, airing as memory serves on
> weekends. Premiere senior editor Chris Connelly, now with ESPN,
> served as host. Sorry to say, there's no Wikipedia entry that tells
> us how long the show actually lasted. It was pretty much a half hour
> infomercial for Premiere, which probably contributed to its short
> shelf life on the air.
>
> Rating: A.

The Big Picture ran until 1995. It is not to be confused with the U.S.
Army series The Big Picture, which ran from 1951 to 1964. Stations ran
The Big Picture late at night as filler, and for public-service
credits. The stations got the series free of charge. The U.S. Navy
had a similar series, Navy Log. I don't remember if the USAF had one.