Smile! You're on Candid Camera.

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-15 (Friday)

SubjectAuthor
* What Did You Watch? 2022-07-15 (Friday)Ubiquitous
+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-15 (Friday)Ian J. Ball
|`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-15 (Friday)Arthur Lipscomb
| `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-15 (Friday)Ian J. Ball
`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-15 (Friday)anim8rfsk
 +* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-15 (Friday)Arthur Lipscomb
 |+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-15 (Friday)anim8rfsk
 ||`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-15 (Friday)A Friend
 || `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-15 (Friday)anim8rfsk
 ||  `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-15 (Friday)A Friend
 |`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-15 (Friday)BTR1701
 | `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-15 (Friday)anim8rfsk
 |  `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-15 (Friday)A Friend
 |   `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-15 (Friday)anim8rfsk
 `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-15 (Friday)anim8rfsk
  +* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-15 (Friday)A Friend
  |`- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-15 (Friday)anim8rfsk
  `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-15 (Friday)anim8rfsk

1
What Did You Watch? 2022-07-15 (Friday)

<UBI20220715@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=147273&group=rec.arts.tv#147273

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-15 (Friday)
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2022 04:30:41 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Sat, 16 Jul 2022 08:30 UTC

I watched:

GHOST ADVENTURES:
Travel Channel played this all day.

What did you watch?

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-15 (Friday)

<taup0f$3dr3e$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=147316&group=rec.arts.tv#147316

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-15 (Friday)
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2022 09:29:03 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sat, 16 Jul 2022 16:29 UTC

On 2022-07-16 08:30:41 +0000, Ubiquitous said:

> What did you watch?

Continued going through my brother's backup CD's, so not to much...

soaps: DOOL - Thur's and Fri's ep's. Sami catches EJ in flagrante, and
at first assumes it's Nicole, but then Belle reveals herself, crushing
Sami! (Ha!) Stupid EJ actually feels bad for Sami (WHY?!!), but she
runs off. Meanwhile, Belle says that She and EJ can't go now that Sami
has found out. Then Sami runs to Shawn to tell him the news that Belle
got down 'n' dirty with EJ! (I'm guessing that marriage is over!) Later
Sami declares she's leaving town again. (Shocker.) Kate tells Roman
that she knew Lucas' secret, and Roman can't dump her fast enough! Chad
tells Rafe his "evidence" against Lucas, but Rafe tells Chad to stay
out of it!
Yesterday, I actually didn't watch GH, so I have at least one
episode saved for the weekend.

The Orville (Hulu) - "From Unknown Graves" (ep. #3.7). Arthur was right
- this was another good episode.
In scenes that are at first confusing (because they aren't
explained), we are shown the background of how the Kaylon came to be
and how they would overthrow their creators, in scenes with a family
(including Elyse Levesque buried under a pile of makeup!). Hey, it's
all William R. Moses' fault!!... However, this backstory felt like it
skipped a bunch of steps (where did the head weaponry come from?!!).
In the "present", the Orvill comes across a scientist (hey! it's
Eliza Taylor buried under a ton of makeup!) who has figured out a way
to give a Kaylon emotions! This gets Dr. Claire all excited because it
means Isaac can finally be a real boyfriend to her!!
Meanwhile, Commander Kelly has to negotiate a treaty with the
anti-Moclans - i.e. a matriarcal race in which the males are kept in a
subserviant role. Dummy Capt. Ed comes up with the brilliant idea to
lie to this species' reps, and pretend the Union is also matriarcal -
what could possibly go wrong with lying to these guys?!!
Anyway, this was actually a surprisingly good ep. Even Ensign Charly
got a good scene or two.

Keeping Up With the Joneses: The Wrong Murder (LMN) - ("Ep. #2.2"!)
While "film #1" in this "second season" set was all set-up, this "film
#2" was a lot better, because stuff actually happens.
Basically, the Jones are being challenged on all fronts!!
Robin (Vivica) first gets blackmailed over Webb Deveraux's (Ted
McGinley) murder - though Webb has put the guy up to it. Later, Webb
reveals he is alive to a shocked Robin!!
Pam's "daughter", Eve, is confirmed to be an imposter and is
definitely up to no good. Meanwhile, the shady contractor dude
continues to romance Pam. Pam suffers several business reversals in
this one!
Carrie wasn't in this episode much - she tells Leo (Eric Roberts) to
back off her boyfriend. But then Leo is attacked and almost killed!
Kayla's ex, William, continues to gaslight her, and she is freaking
out. I'm also pretty sure that her current boyfriend is a plant by
William!
And cutie Tara (Jasmine Aivaliotis) seems to be the only Jones with
any brains - she coerces the CC professor that has been harassing her
into spying on Pam's "daughter", Eve. But Eve gets wise to this, and
accidentally kills the professor dude!
What will Robin do now that Webb is alive and in her face?! Tune in
to film #2.3 to find out!!

Every Last Secret (Hulu; originally titled "Broken Soldier", which is
actually a much better/more accurate title!) - This was a weird little
flick, written and directed by Matthew Coppola.
So, released in 2022 on the Hulu, at first I'm impressed by how
young they've made Sophie Turner look! But then I'm like, "Hey! Ivana
Milicevic also looks a heck of a lot younger here than she did on "The
'Hundred'"[sic]!! What's going on here?!" (It also co-star Ray Liotta.)
It turns out, this movie was filmed in *2015*!! - That's right: this
flick has been sitting on the shelf for *seven years*!! (That's got to
be close to some kind of record!)
Anyway, this is a weird movie - it starts out with a 17-year old
girl (Turner) becoming obsessed with seducing/being with a 35-year old
vet and ex-con (Mark Kassen) who is seeing a hooker (Milicevic) on the
side. It eventually evolves (devolves?) into a "dinner party from Hell"
situation with Liotta's character (who plays Turner's father).
I really did not care for how this ended, or really even how it got
there. Most of all, I cannot figure out what the entire point of this
exercise was - what was the *point*?!!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-15 (Friday)

<tav1ce$3elk3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=147341&group=rec.arts.tv#147341

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2022 11:51:55 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Sat, 16 Jul 2022 18:51 UTC

On 7/16/2022 9:29 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> On 2022-07-16 08:30:41 +0000, Ubiquitous said:
>
>> What did you watch?
>
> Continued going through my brother's backup CD's, so not to much...
>
> soaps: DOOL - Thur's and Fri's ep's. Sami catches EJ in flagrante, and
> at first assumes it's Nicole, but then Belle reveals herself, crushing
> Sami! (Ha!) Stupid EJ actually feels bad for Sami (WHY?!!), but she runs
> off.  Meanwhile, Belle says that She and EJ can't go now that Sami has
> found out. Then Sami runs to Shawn to tell him the news that Belle got
> down 'n' dirty with EJ! (I'm guessing that marriage is over!) Later Sami
> declares she's leaving town again. (Shocker.) Kate tells Roman that she
> knew Lucas' secret, and Roman can't dump her fast enough! Chad tells
> Rafe his "evidence" against Lucas, but Rafe tells Chad to stay out of it!
>   Yesterday, I actually didn't watch GH, so I have at least one episode
> saved for the weekend.
>
> The Orville (Hulu) - "From Unknown Graves" (ep. #3.7). Arthur was right
> - this was another good episode.
>   In scenes that are at first confusing (because they aren't
> explained), we are shown the background of how the Kaylon came to be and
> how they would overthrow their creators, in scenes with a family
> (including Elyse Levesque buried under a pile of makeup!). Hey, it's all
> William R. Moses' fault!!... However, this backstory felt like it
> skipped a bunch of steps (where did the head weaponry come from?!!).
>   In the "present", the Orvill comes across a scientist (hey! it's
> Eliza Taylor buried under a ton of makeup!) who has figured out a way to
> give a Kaylon emotions! This gets Dr. Claire all excited because it
> means Isaac can finally be a real boyfriend to her!!

One thing they seemed to gloss over a little is Isaac would have a full
memory of everything he said and did while experiencing emotions. While
he said he remembered her reactions, he should also remember his
reactions and they sort of played it as if he didn't.

>   Meanwhile, Commander Kelly has to negotiate a treaty with the
> anti-Moclans - i.e. a matriarcal race in which the males are kept in a
> subserviant role. Dummy Capt. Ed comes up with the brilliant idea to lie
> to this species' reps, and pretend the Union is also matriarcal - what
> could possibly go wrong with lying to these guys?!!

The more I think about it, the more it falls apart. But I guess they
were playing it for laughs so you're not supposed to think about it.
Anyway, it did have the line of the night with, "I'll do it!"

>   Anyway, this was actually a surprisingly good ep. Even Ensign Charly
> got a good scene or two.
>
> Keeping Up With the Joneses: The Wrong Murder (LMN) - ("Ep. #2.2"!)

Wait, are these "Wrong" movies?

> While "film #1" in this "second season" set was all set-up, this "film
> #2" was a lot better, because stuff actually happens.
>   Basically, the Jones are being challenged on all fronts!!
>   Robin (Vivica) first gets blackmailed over Webb Deveraux's (Ted
> McGinley) murder - though Webb has put the guy up to it. Later, Webb
> reveals he is alive to a shocked Robin!!
>   Pam's "daughter", Eve, is confirmed to be an imposter and is
> definitely up to no good. Meanwhile, the shady contractor dude continues
> to romance Pam. Pam suffers several business reversals in this one!
>   Carrie wasn't in this episode much - she tells Leo (Eric Roberts)

And Eric Roberts is in this too?!?

> back off her boyfriend. But then Leo is attacked and almost killed!
>   Kayla's ex, William, continues to gaslight her, and she is freaking
> out. I'm also pretty sure that her current boyfriend is a plant by William!
>   And cutie Tara (Jasmine Aivaliotis) seems to be the only Jones with
> any brains - she coerces the CC professor that has been harassing her
> into spying on Pam's "daughter", Eve. But Eve gets wise to this, and
> accidentally kills the professor dude!
>   What will Robin do now that Webb is alive and in her face?! Tune in
> to film #2.3 to find out!!
>
> Every Last Secret (Hulu; originally titled "Broken Soldier", which is
> actually a much better/more accurate title!) - This was a weird little
> flick, written and directed by Matthew Coppola.
>   So, released in 2022 on the Hulu, at first I'm impressed by how young
> they've made Sophie Turner look! But then I'm like, "Hey! Ivana
> Milicevic also looks a heck of a lot younger here than she did on "The
> 'Hundred'"[sic]!! What's going on here?!" (It also co-star Ray Liotta.)
>   It turns out, this movie was filmed in *2015*!! - That's right: this
> flick has been sitting on the shelf for *seven years*!! (That's got to
> be close to some kind of record!)
>   Anyway, this is a weird movie - it starts out with a 17-year old girl
> (Turner) becoming obsessed with seducing/being with a 35-year old vet
> and ex-con (Mark Kassen) who is seeing a hooker (Milicevic) on the side.
> It eventually evolves (devolves?) into a "dinner party from Hell"
> situation with Liotta's character (who plays Turner's father).
>   I really did not care for how this ended, or really even how it got
> there. Most of all, I cannot figure out what the entire point of this
> exercise was - what was the *point*?!!

I started my Martin Scorsese-athon a day early and watched:

Cape Fear (blu-ray) 1991 thriller directed by Martin Scorsese and
starring Robert De Niro as an ex-con who gets out of prison and
terrorizes his old lawyer (Nick Nolte) and the lawyer's family (Jessica
Lange and Juliette Lewis). The movie holds up great. I just wish there
was a commentary track.

The Aviator (blu-ray) 2004 biopic directed by Martin Scorsese and
starring Leonardo DiCaprio as Howard Hughes. At just under 3 hours the
movie makes wish Scorsese would hire an editor for his movies, but it's
still a very good movie. I've been wanting to revisit this one for
several years now and this finally was my chance to do revisit it.

What We Do in the Shadows (FX) "Reunited" - Season 4 premier which for
the most part resets everything by jumping ahead a year and having
everyone come back and pretty much pick up where they left off. Colin
Robinson is the only one still suffering the aftereffects of the finale.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-15 (Friday)

<1850303092.679706315.063359.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=147403&group=rec.arts.tv#147403

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2022 16:42:59 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sat, 16 Jul 2022 23:42 UTC

Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:

> What did you watch?

Hey, thanks for asking!

Mostly I’m still in BritBox. They offered me a “BEST of (DEATH IN)
PARADISE” Which is serious false advertising since so far it’s mostly Kris
Marshall episodes. They have tiny little introductions by the actors. So
I’m going through those before my free week expires. Plus I have to figure
out how the hell to cancel!

As I an interlude I watched
CELEBRITY FAMILY FEUD S08E01
Mostly because they don’t tell you who the celebrities are! And it turns
out there’s a reason for that.

Ian’s IMDb entry tells me it’s
Abbott Elementary vs. Hacks and Kal Penn vs. Erika Christensen
(TV Episode 2022)
But not who any of the players are.

The first team is Jean Smart and the cast of HACKS. I know her and the only
white guy on the entire show, Chris McDonald, and absolutely none of the
other extremely diverse players who will also turn out to be extremely
stupid. The pretty Asian girl is so dumb they were just giving her free
matches even though what she said didn’t possibly qualify. And they don’t
really tell us who any of these people are either.

Opposing them is the cast of what they are calling ABC’s top comedy, ABBOTT
ELEMENTARY. There was one person I’d heard of and didn’t recognize until
they told me her name. Then there was the executive producer who of course
we wouldn’t know and her sixth grade teacher.

But this was genius compared to the second half of the show where they just
had two minor celebrities and relatives. So the girl playing for the bonus
round is Kal Penn’s brother’s wife. Penn himself was either giving joke
answers in the lightning round or is the stupidest person on the face of
the earth. He went in with a 181 point Head start and almost lost it.

But at least they have a new set where the podiuma the players are at are
staggered so that you can’t see half the contestants at any time.

Back to the BritBox!

> --
> Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-15 (Friday)

<tavl73$3gdc6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=147407&group=rec.arts.tv#147407

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2022 17:30:26 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Sun, 17 Jul 2022 00:30 UTC

On 7/16/2022 4:42 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
>>
>> What did you watch?
>
> Hey, thanks for asking!
>
> Mostly I’m still in BritBox. They offered me a “BEST of (DEATH IN)
> PARADISE” Which is serious false advertising since so far it’s mostly Kris
> Marshall episodes. They have tiny little introductions by the actors. So
> I’m going through those before my free week expires. Plus I have to figure
> out how the hell to cancel!
>
> As I an interlude I watched
> CELEBRITY FAMILY FEUD S08E01
> Mostly because they don’t tell you who the celebrities are! And it turns
> out there’s a reason for that.
>
> Ian’s IMDb entry tells me it’s
> Abbott Elementary vs. Hacks and Kal Penn vs. Erika Christensen
> (TV Episode 2022)
> But not who any of the players are.

I would have watched for Kal Penn. I don't know who the other
celebrities are.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-15 (Friday)

<2124132355.679714193.948640.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=147415&group=rec.arts.tv#147415

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2022 18:34:36 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sun, 17 Jul 2022 01:34 UTC

Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
> On 7/16/2022 4:42 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> What did you watch?
>>
>> Hey, thanks for asking!
>>
>> Mostly I’m still in BritBox. They offered me a “BEST of (DEATH IN)
>> PARADISE” Which is serious false advertising since so far it’s mostly Kris
>> Marshall episodes. They have tiny little introductions by the actors. So
>> I’m going through those before my free week expires. Plus I have to figure
>> out how the hell to cancel!
>>
>> As I an interlude I watched
>> CELEBRITY FAMILY FEUD S08E01
>> Mostly because they don’t tell you who the celebrities are! And it turns
>> out there’s a reason for that.
>>
>> Ian’s IMDb entry tells me it’s
>> Abbott Elementary vs. Hacks and Kal Penn vs. Erika Christensen
>> (TV Episode 2022)
>> But not who any of the players are.
>>

> I would have watched for Kal Penn. I don't know who the other
> celebrities are.

His team was just his real life relatives, versus Erika Christiansen
(whoever she is) and her real life relatives.
IMDb says she’s in the Disney series cheaper by the dozen.

I didn’t even know any of the shows these celebrities were connected with
even existed.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-15 (Friday)

<bZmdnaPyN_LW-k7_nZ2dnUU7-X2dnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=147416&group=rec.arts.tv#147416

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2022 20:35:07 -0500
 by: BTR1701 - Sun, 17 Jul 2022 01:35 UTC

On Jul 16, 2022 at 5:30:26 PM PDT, "Arthur Lipscomb"
<arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

> On 7/16/2022 4:42 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> What did you watch?
>>
>> Hey, thanks for asking!
>>
>> Mostly I’m still in BritBox. They offered me a “BEST of (DEATH IN)
>> PARADISE” Which is serious false advertising since so far it’s mostly Kris
>> Marshall episodes. They have tiny little introductions by the actors. So
>> I’m going through those before my free week expires. Plus I have to figure
>> out how the hell to cancel!
>>
>> As I an interlude I watched
>> CELEBRITY FAMILY FEUD S08E01
>> Mostly because they don’t tell you who the celebrities are! And it turns
>> out there’s a reason for that.
>>
>> Ian’s IMDb entry tells me it’s
>> Abbott Elementary vs. Hacks and Kal Penn vs. Erika Christensen
>> (TV Episode 2022)
>> But not who any of the players are.
>>
> I would have watched for Kal Penn.

That guy has been one of those "why is he famous? guys to me.

I never found him particularly funny when he was doing comedies and never
thought he was that great an actor when he started doing dramas. And he always
sounds like he's talking through a head cold.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-15 (Friday)

<160720222201123626%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=147418&group=rec.arts.tv#147418

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2022 22:01:12 -0400
 by: A Friend - Sun, 17 Jul 2022 02:01 UTC

In article
anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

> His team was just his real life relatives, versus Erika Christiansen
> (whoever she is) and her real life relatives.
> IMDb says she¹s in the Disney series cheaper by the dozen.

BTW the real-life family had eleven kids. A twelfth had died in
infancy, but they always counted that one.

Two of the kids, as older adults, wrote their own book about growing up
in that family. It wasn't nearly as much fun as originally reported.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-15 (Friday)

<524342757.679717417.242260.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=147423&group=rec.arts.tv#147423

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2022 19:30:39 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sun, 17 Jul 2022 02:30 UTC

BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
> On Jul 16, 2022 at 5:30:26 PM PDT, "Arthur Lipscomb"
<arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>>> Hey, thanks for asking!
>>>
>>> Mostly I’m still in BritBox. They offered me a “BEST of (DEATH IN)
>>> PARADISE” Which is serious false advertising since so far it’s mostly Kris
>>> Marshall episodes. They have tiny little introductions by the actors. So
>>> I’m going through those before my free week expires. Plus I have to figure
>>> out how the hell to cancel!
>>>
>>> As I an interlude I watched
>>> CELEBRITY FAMILY FEUD S08E01
>>> Mostly because they don’t tell you who the celebrities are! And it turns
>>> out there’s a reason for that.
>>>
>>> Ian’s IMDb entry tells me it’s
>>> Abbott Elementary vs. Hacks and Kal Penn vs. Erika Christensen
>>> (TV Episode 2022)
>>> But not who any of the players are.
>>>
>> I would have watched for Kal Penn.
>
> That guy has been one of those "why is he famous? guys to me.
>
> I never found him particularly funny when he was doing comedies and never
thought he was that great an actor when he started doing dramas. And he
always
sounds like he's talking through a head cold.

Then his game show prowess would fit right in with the rest of his career.

Here are some of the answers he gave for the lightning round for the
$25,000 for charity:

Name something a doctor might say you need more of.
Calcium
Name a kind of ball that’s hollow inside.
Baseball
Name an occasion where parents might raise a toast to their child.
Sweet 16
Name an animal people would ride if they could manage to get up on it
Giraffe

Steve is laughing and the family members are alternating between laughing
and cradling their heads in their hands. Luckily he only needed to get 19
points to win and he got them all on the first question. We never did see
how any of the others scored but I’m betting it was zero each.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-15 (Friday)

<160720222254543196%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=147426&group=rec.arts.tv#147426

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2022 22:54:54 -0400
 by: A Friend - Sun, 17 Jul 2022 02:54 UTC

In article
<524342757.679717417.242260.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>,
anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

> Name a kind of ball that¹s hollow inside.
> Baseball

First, he's an idiot.

Second, I was on the jury (in 1984, I think) when somebody or other
sought to break Major League Baseball's exclusive contract with
Rawlings for baseballs, this on antitrust grounds. The argument was
that baseballs had to be uniform, and that was best accomplished by
having them made by one company. The counterargument was that
baseballs could be made to spec.

One or the other of the parties had cut some baseballs in half and
showed them to us. There was trash, yarn, used cigarette filters, and
all sorts of other things. All of this was held in place by some sort
of solid goop, and the hide was wrapped and stitched around it.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-15 (Friday)

<1503313258.679721291.796575.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=147441&group=rec.arts.tv#147441

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2022 23:39:09 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sun, 17 Jul 2022 06:39 UTC

anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
>>
>> What did you watch?
>
> Hey, thanks for asking!
>
> Mostly I’m still in BritBox. They offered me a “BEST of (DEATH IN)
> PARADISE” Which is serious false advertising since so far it’s mostly Kris
> Marshall episodes. They have tiny little introductions by the actors. So
> I’m going through those before my free week expires. Plus I have to figure
> out how the hell to cancel!
>

> Back to the BritBox!

So I have mixed feelings about BEST IN PARADISE.
It’s a dozen episodes in chronological order but with big gaps and some are
part one and they don’t include part two. I don’t know why, this couldn’t
of cost them anything.

There are minimal intros by Kris Marshall and the commissioner and JP and
Josephine Jobert. They don’t tell us much beyond stuff like Kris Marshall
saying that after his first episode they cut his hair shorter so they
wouldn’t have to dry it all the time. The actors’ accents are all milder in
the intros which is annoying as if they use these voices on the show I
wouldn’t need to have the subtitles on!

I had no idea that the theme song had lyrics. It’s a pre-existing song from
1966 and they play and sing the lyrics a couple times in different episodes
including when Ben Miller leaves and the end of the Christmas special.

For the second time, Josephine gets a very special dramatic two-parter
where they pretend to kill her off. I have to wonder if she was ever happy
on the show. By the end she had put on 15 pounds between her belt and her
knees and 15 years on her face. She’s doing a fake accent as well which
might explain it. I have a lot more trouble understanding fake accents than
I do real ones.

The Christmas special is well worth the watch. Although they take Josephine
off stage they bring back Dwayne. You have to wonder why they couldn’t have
them both.

>> --
>> Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-15 (Friday)

<tb0erp$3lrc4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=147450&group=rec.arts.tv#147450

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2022 00:48:09 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sun, 17 Jul 2022 07:48 UTC

On 2022-07-16 18:51:55 +0000, Arthur Lipscomb said:

> On 7/16/2022 9:29 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
>> On 2022-07-16 08:30:41 +0000, Ubiquitous said:
>>
>>> What did you watch?
>>
>> Continued going through my brother's backup CD's, so not to much...
>>
>> Keeping Up With the Joneses: The Wrong Murder (LMN) - ("Ep. #2.2"!)
>
> Wait, are these "Wrong" movies?

Only in "subtitles"... So, no, not in any meaningful way (aside from
being produced by Vivica's Hybrid company...).

These are legitimately "Keeping Up With the Jones" - that's the main
title of the film series.

>> While "film #1" in this "second season" set was all set-up, this "film
>> #2" was a lot better, because stuff actually happens.
>>   Basically, the Jones are being challenged on all fronts!!
>>   Robin (Vivica) first gets blackmailed over Webb Deveraux's (Ted
>> McGinley) murder - though Webb has put the guy up to it. Later, Webb
>> reveals he is alive to a shocked Robin!!
>>   Pam's "daughter", Eve, is confirmed to be an imposter and is
>> definitely up to no good. Meanwhile, the shady contractor dude
>> continues to romance Pam. Pam suffers several business reversals in
>> this one!
>>   Carrie wasn't in this episode much - she tells Leo (Eric Roberts)
>
> And Eric Roberts is in this too?!?

Yep! He wasn't in the first couple of "Jones" movies, but he's become
more prominent since then.

>> back off her boyfriend. But then Leo is attacked and almost killed!
>>   Kayla's ex, William, continues to gaslight her, and she is freaking
>> out. I'm also pretty sure that her current boyfriend is a plant by
>> William!
>>   And cutie Tara (Jasmine Aivaliotis) seems to be the only Jones with
>> any brains - she coerces the CC professor that has been harassing her
>> into spying on Pam's "daughter", Eve. But Eve gets wise to this, and
>> accidentally kills the professor dude!
>>   What will Robin do now that Webb is alive and in her face?! Tune in
>> to film #2.3 to find out!!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-15 (Friday)

<170720220938358123%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=147477&group=rec.arts.tv#147477

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2022 09:38:35 -0400
 by: A Friend - Sun, 17 Jul 2022 13:38 UTC

In article
<1503313258.679721291.796575.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>,
anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

> I had no idea that the theme song had lyrics. It¹s a pre-existing song from
> 1966

What we think of as instrumentals have always had lyrics. For some
reason, it was believed that music without words couldn't be
copyrighted in the U.S. This notion went away around 1970. I guess
the world's lyricists are still in mourning.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-15 (Friday)

<1811653742.679761515.384971.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=147488&group=rec.arts.tv#147488

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2022 08:43:45 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sun, 17 Jul 2022 15:43 UTC

A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:
> In article
> <1503313258.679721291.796575.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>,
> anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> I had no idea that the theme song had lyrics. It¹s a pre-existing song from
>> 1966
>

> What we think of as instrumentals have always had lyrics. For some
> reason, it was believed that music without words couldn't be
> copyrighted in the U.S. This notion went away around 1970. I guess
> the world's lyricists are still in mourning.

They just sang it a third time, in the episode where Kris went away.
Apparently they performed the lyrics when ever they change inspectors!
Interesting little Easter egg.

I wonder if it’s in the pilot?

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-15 (Friday)

<1441294628.679761671.419563.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=147489&group=rec.arts.tv#147489

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2022 08:43:46 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sun, 17 Jul 2022 15:43 UTC

A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:
> In article
> <524342757.679717417.242260.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>,
> anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> Name a kind of ball that¹s hollow inside.
>> Baseball
>

> First, he's an idiot.

It sure seems that way. I’d like to think that he was confident enough in
his first answer that he gave joke answers for the next four questions but
if that was the case you think they’d be funnier than this!

Name a kind of ball that’s hollow inside.
Lucille Ball!
(Ian would be even funnier but that sort of an in joke)

> Second, I was on the jury (in 1984, I think) when somebody or other
> sought to break Major League Baseball's exclusive contract with
> Rawlings for baseballs, this on antitrust grounds. The argument was
> that baseballs had to be uniform, and that was best accomplished by
> having them made by one company. The counterargument was that
> baseballs could be made to spec.
>
> One or the other of the parties had cut some baseballs in half and
> showed them to us. There was trash, yarn, used cigarette filters, and
> all sorts of other things. All of this was held in place by some sort
> of solid goop, and the hide was wrapped and stitched around it.

Cool story.

The rumor in grade school, one of those things that everybody knew and you
didn’t dare argue with, was that golf balls were full of crap like that but
the solid goop was toxic and woe to you if you ever sawed one in half. I’m
pretty sure that showed up in Mad Magazine at some point as well.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-15 (Friday)

<223274636.679761931.355730.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=147490&group=rec.arts.tv#147490

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2022 08:43:47 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sun, 17 Jul 2022 15:43 UTC

anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
> anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> What did you watch?
>>
>> Hey, thanks for asking!
>>
>> Mostly I’m still in BritBox. They offered me a “BEST of (DEATH IN)
>> PARADISE” Which is serious false advertising since so far it’s mostly Kris
>> Marshall episodes. They have tiny little introductions by the actors. So
>> I’m going through those before my free week expires. Plus I have to figure
>> out how the hell to cancel!
>>

>> Back to the BritBox!
>
> So I have mixed feelings about BEST IN PARADISE.
> It’s a dozen episodes in chronological order but with big gaps and some are
> part one and they don’t include part two. I don’t know why, this couldn’t
> of cost them anything.
>
> There are minimal intros by Kris Marshall and the commissioner and JP and
> Josephine Jobert. They don’t tell us much beyond stuff like Kris Marshall
> saying that after his first episode they cut his hair shorter so they
> wouldn’t have to dry it all the time. The actors’ accents are all milder in
> the intros which is annoying as if they use these voices on the show I
> wouldn’t need to have the subtitles on!
>
> I had no idea that the theme song had lyrics. It’s a pre-existing song from
> 1966 and they play and sing the lyrics a couple times in different episodes
> including when Ben Miller leaves and the end of the Christmas special.
>
> For the second time, Josephine gets a very special dramatic two-parter
> where they pretend to kill her off. I have to wonder if she was ever happy
> on the show. By the end she had put on 15 pounds between her belt and her
> knees and 15 years on her face. She’s doing a fake accent as well which
> might explain it. I have a lot more trouble understanding fake accents than
> I do real ones.
>
> The Christmas special is well worth the watch. Although they take Josephine
> off stage they bring back Dwayne. You have to wonder why they couldn’t have
> them both.
>

>>> --
>>> Let's go Brandon!

Epilogue. I decided to keep BritBox for one month rather than panic
watching stuff and not particularly enjoying it. They got me with these 12
extra hours of BEST IN PARADISE. Maybe if I’m really lucky Series 12 will
drop in the next 30 days? (Looks it up) nope they premiere traditionally in
January. Oh well.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-15 (Friday)

<922875943.679762341.705546.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=147491&group=rec.arts.tv#147491

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2022 08:43:48 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sun, 17 Jul 2022 15:43 UTC

A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:
> In article
> <2124132355.679714193.948640.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>,
> anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> His team was just his real life relatives, versus Erika Christiansen
>> (whoever she is) and her real life relatives.
>> IMDb says she¹s in the Disney series cheaper by the dozen.
>

> BTW the real-life family had eleven kids. A twelfth had died in
> infancy, but they always counted that one.
>
> Two of the kids, as older adults, wrote their own book about growing up
> in that family. It wasn't nearly as much fun as originally reported.

OK I just looked these up. Although I’d heard the title I’ve never seen any
part of any incarnation of them. I love Myrna Loy but I’m not sure I wanna
see her in this. And two movies with Steve Martin and Bonnie Hunt? I’d
completely forgotten Bonnie Hunt. She’s still working, although most of
its voice work. I have no idea who Erika Christiansen could play in the
new diverse Disney version, she’s way too old to be one of the kids.

Also the descriptions insist on referring to it as a family of 12. Isn’t it
a family of 14?

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-15 (Friday)

<170720221344358364%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=147504&group=rec.arts.tv#147504

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2022 13:44:35 -0400
 by: A Friend - Sun, 17 Jul 2022 17:44 UTC

In article
<922875943.679762341.705546.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>,
anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

> A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:
> > In article
> > <2124132355.679714193.948640.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>,
> > anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
> >
> >> His team was just his real life relatives, versus Erika Christiansen
> >> (whoever she is) and her real life relatives.
> >> IMDb says she1s in the Disney series cheaper by the dozen.
> >

> > BTW the real-life family had eleven kids. A twelfth had died in
> > infancy, but they always counted that one.
> >
> > Two of the kids, as older adults, wrote their own book about growing up
> > in that family. It wasn't nearly as much fun as originally reported.
> >

> OK I just looked these up. Although I¹d heard the title I¹ve never seen any
> part of any incarnation of them. I love Myrna Loy but I¹m not sure I wanna
> see her in this. And two movies with Steve Martin and Bonnie Hunt? I¹d
> completely forgotten Bonnie Hunt. She¹s still working, although most of
> its voice work. I have no idea who Erika Christiansen could play in the
> new diverse Disney version, she¹s way too old to be one of the kids.
>
> Also the descriptions insist on referring to it as a family of 12. Isn¹t it
> a family of 14?

It sure is.

Bonnie Hunt just doesn't look like a woman who's had 12 kids. Myrna
Loy, maybe.

Steve Martin survives the modern-era film, but the essence of the
family story is that the father dies suddenly while on the road, and
the mother is left to raise the kids and carry on her husband's work.
(This strongly suggests that mom had been participating in said work
all along, but this is never acknowledged in the film.) IRL mom was
much more successful than dad ever was. However, this is barely
mentioned in the voiceover at the end of the film, as mom is climbing
the stairs.