"Ahead warp factor 1" -- Captain Kirk

arts / rec.arts.tv / What Did You Watch? 2022-07-21 (Thursday)

SubjectAuthor
* What Did You Watch? 2022-07-21 (Thursday)Ubiquitous
+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-21 (Thursday)anim8rfsk
|+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-21 (Thursday)Arthur Lipscomb
||+- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-21 (Thursday)Ian J. Ball
||+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-21 (Thursday)anim8rfsk
|||+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-21 (Thursday)Arthur Lipscomb
|||`- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-21 (Thursday)Ubiquitous
||`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-21 (Thursday)Ubiquitous
|| `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-21 (Thursday)Arthur Lipscomb
||  `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-21 (Thursday)Ubiquitous
|`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-21 (Thursday)Ubiquitous
| `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-21 (Thursday)anim8rfsk
|  `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-21 (Thursday)A Friend
|   `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-21 (Thursday)anim8rfsk
|    `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-21 (Thursday)Ubiquitous
|     `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-21 (Thursday)anim8rfsk
`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-21 (Thursday)Ian J. Ball
 `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-21 (Thursday)Arthur Lipscomb

1
What Did You Watch? 2022-07-21 (Thursday)

<UBI20220721@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=148268&group=rec.arts.tv#148268

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-21 (Thursday)
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2022 04:30:41 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Fri, 22 Jul 2022 08:30 UTC

After an arduous workout, I watched:

HANNITY:
Sean Hannity discusses how the January 6 committee failed to smear President
Trump and who the committee should have heard from on "Hannity."

HOGAN'S HEROES:
"Reverend Kommandant Klink". Hogan has to reunite a captured fremchman with
his finaceee in Paris.

HOGAN'S HEROES:
"The Most Escape-Proof Prison Camp I've Ever Escaped From". Hogan tries
to stop an escape-artist from ruining a rendezvous with an OSS agent.

What did you watch?

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-21 (Thursday)

<1076666787.680189101.528163.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=148295&group=rec.arts.tv#148295

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-21 (Thursday)
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2022 07:43:57 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Fri, 22 Jul 2022 14:43 UTC

Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:

> What did you watch?

Hey, thanks for asking!

I finished all the FOR ALL MANKIND episodes that I’ve dropped so far.
Covered elsewhere.

I then watched about 3/4 of MOONFALL. Madre de Dios! I don’t know if this
is supposed to be funny or satire or a naked gun type of thing or what but
it’s just awful. It must’ve cost a ton of money though.
OK, IMDb says it is worldwide gross was 44 million against an estimated
$150 million budget. So if they sell it to Netflix for a couple hundred
million dollars they might break even.

THE RAWHIDE YEARS 1956
Silly but amiable semi western with a ridiculously young Tony Curtis hours
of riverboat gamblers shill who gets caught up in smuggling and piracy and
murder and has to make a run for it. Along the way he finds a comedic
sidekick and a beautiful Dancehall songstress. Rather improbably everybody
he meets across three years turns out to be tied in to the initial piracy
and murder one way or the other and keeps documentation around so at the
end all he has to do is show a bundle of letters to the sheriff and all is
forgiven.

Written by Earl Felton, who two years ago before wrote 20,000 leagues under
the Sea and even recycles some of his dialogue from the previous film.

There’s a huge problem with the initial set up where a man on a riverboat
is murdered so the wooden Indian he’s taking to his brother can be stolen.
Curtis is blamed. But it turns out the brother is the guy who had the man
murdered so he could steal the Indian (full of smuggled gold) that was
being brought to him anyway, and now keeps it on display prominently in his
home!

All in all it feels very much like an episode of MAVERICK, but set in
Montana instead of Louisiana. Maybe. The riverboat is the MONTANA QUEEN,
presumably sailing the Missouri, but a lot of the action takes place in the
town of Galena, and the only one of those in real life is in Illinois. Also
while there are years in this movie there isn’t actually any rawhide.

Widescreen, letterbox, it apparently shows up on TCM (even though I’ve
never heard of it before). There’s a book by Norman Fox that as far as I
can tell doesn’t have much to do with the movie beyond the name of the
initial murder victim.

ONLY MURDERERS IN THE BUILDING S02E05 (I think)
This continues to be silly fun and goes meta as our trio is overheard
discussing the crimes in a diner by people who know all about the secret
passages in their building and laugh and say “you thought the passages were
secret?“ As well as commenting on some of the earlier filler episodes about
how they were lame and obviously filler episodes and how they must be
struggling to find a plot this season!

Now here’s the thing. I don’t like Martin Short. It goes back to when they
were using my office for an audition room for ANASTASIA and I had to listen
to his recording of Bartok the bat for weeks on end before they finally
agreed with me he was so horrible they replaced him in the film (To be fair
even Angela Lansbury was terrible under those conditions). But tonight he
was really good.

They need to bring back Steve Martin’s character’s “daughter”
She was by far the best thing this season.

> --
> Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-21 (Thursday)

<tbegij$377jh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=148300&group=rec.arts.tv#148300

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2022 08:43:13 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Fri, 22 Jul 2022 15:43 UTC

On 7/22/2022 7:43 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
>>
>> What did you watch?
>
> Hey, thanks for asking!
>
> I finished all the FOR ALL MANKIND episodes that I’ve dropped so far.
> Covered elsewhere.
>
> I then watched about 3/4 of MOONFALL.

I was hoping to squeeze this in after watching Independence Day, but now
I'll probably get to it whenever I get around to revisiting Armageddon
and similar movies. Actually now that I think about it, I just
pre-ordered a new blu-ray of When Worlds Collide. This might pair well
with that. Or maybe not. I'll figure it out eventually.

snip

> ONLY MURDERERS IN THE BUILDING S02E05 (I think)
> This continues to be silly fun and goes meta

I like meta. I still *really* need to get around to watching this. But
there are so many streaming shows I still haven't gotten to yet.

I watched:

NOPE (theatrical) - NO SPOILERS - New Sci-fi horror movie written,
directed, and produced by Jordan Peele. It stars Daniel Kaluuya and
Keke Palmer as a brother and sister who own a ranch out in the middle of
nowhere who suspect an alien spacecraft is hovering overhead and they
are determined to get it on film. After their initial attempts with
help from the guy (Brandon Perea) at the local electronics store come up
short, they hire a professional filmmaker (Michael Wincott) to make sure
they get usable footage. Steven Yeun also co-stars, and how to put this,
his entire character and story arc, for the most part, could have been
completely cut from the movie. But here's where it gets interesting.
Most of those money shots in the trailer are from his scenes! It was
like Peele wrote a completing unrelated horror movie featuring Steven
Yeun, then put that unconnected movie into this movie. But because that
other movie is so good, technically I can't say NOPE would have been
better off without it.

So is this a good movie worth watching? Honestly I don't know what to
make of it. I really liked Peele's "Get Out." I didn't care much for
"Us." This is probably somewhere in between. I remember while watching
"Us" and picking holes in the plot. NOPE, doesn't really have obvious
plot holes, except for one, that may or may not be a plot hole. Where
did the alien come from? If your answer is the alien came from outer
space, then there is no plot hole. But, if like me you watch the movie
and start to wonder, WHERE DID THAT ALIEN COME FROM?!?!? Then maybe
there is a plot hole. I haven't decided yet.

Or another way to think of it, John Carpenter's "The Thing" has a scene
at the beginning where you see the alien space craft crash on Earth.
Imagine that exact same movie, but without that establishing scene.
It's still obviously an alien that crashed on Earth, but without that
establishing shot, some people might ask where did the alien come from,
while others will say it's obvious, stop asking silly questions.

As an aside, the electronics store Brandon Perea worked at was "Frys."
If you've never heard of Frys before they were a big box store, sort of
a cross between Best Buy and Radio Shack. Sort of a niche store with a
very loyal fan base. It stood out because the Frys name and brand was
very prominently featured in the movie., But Frys customers would also
be very much aware that Frys recently, and suddenly, went out of
business. This movie was made *after* they went out of business. Just
one of those details that a chunk of the audience would "get" but the
majority would not get.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-21 (Thursday)

<tbehpr$37hpp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=148302&group=rec.arts.tv#148302

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2022 09:04:12 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Fri, 22 Jul 2022 16:04 UTC

On 2022-07-22 15:43:13 +0000, Arthur Lipscomb said:

> I watched:
>

> NOPE (theatrical) - NO SPOILERS - New Sci-fi horror movie written,
> directed, and produced by Jordan Peele. It stars Daniel Kaluuya and
> Keke Palmer as a brother and sister who own a ranch out in the middle
> of nowhere who suspect an alien spacecraft is hovering overhead and
> they are determined to get it on film. After their initial attempts
> with help from the guy (Brandon Perea) at the local electronics store
> come up short, they hire a professional filmmaker (Michael Wincott) to
> make sure they get usable footage. Steven Yeun also co-stars, and how
> to put this, his entire character and story arc, for the most part,
> could have been completely cut from the movie. But here's where it
> gets interesting. Most of those money shots in the trailer are from his
> scenes! It was like Peele wrote a completing unrelated horror movie
> featuring Steven Yeun, then put that unconnected movie into this movie.
> But because that other movie is so good, technically I can't say NOPE
> would have been better off without it.
>
> So is this a good movie worth watching? Honestly I don't know what to
> make of it. I really liked Peele's "Get Out." I didn't care much for
> "Us."

This is funny, because I *really* didn't like "Get Out", but I actually
liked "Us" quite a bit, to the point where if they ever make an "Us"
sequel, I will definitely check it out.

> This is probably somewhere in between. I remember while watching "Us"
> and picking holes in the plot. NOPE, doesn't really have obvious plot
> holes, except for one, that may or may not be a plot hole. Where did
> the alien come from? If your answer is the alien came from outer
> space, then there is no plot hole. But, if like me you watch the movie
> and start to wonder, WHERE DID THAT ALIEN COME FROM?!?!? Then maybe
> there is a plot hole. I haven't decided yet.
>
> Or another way to think of it, John Carpenter's "The Thing" has a scene
> at the beginning where you see the alien space craft crash on Earth.
> Imagine that exact same movie, but without that establishing scene.
> It's still obviously an alien that crashed on Earth, but without that
> establishing shot, some people might ask where did the alien come from,
> while others will say it's obvious, stop asking silly questions.
>
> As an aside, the electronics store Brandon Perea worked at was "Frys."
> If you've never heard of Frys before they were a big box store, sort of
> a cross between Best Buy and Radio Shack. Sort of a niche store with a
> very loyal fan base. It stood out because the Frys name and brand was
> very prominently featured in the movie., But Frys customers would also
> be very much aware that Frys recently, and suddenly, went out of
> business. This movie was made *after* they went out of business. Just
> one of those details that a chunk of the audience would "get" but the
> majority would not get.

So, maybe it's not set in the present day, but a decade or two ago?...

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-21 (Thursday)

<1922311985.680198556.524572.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=148304&group=rec.arts.tv#148304

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2022 09:09:08 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Fri, 22 Jul 2022 16:09 UTC

Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
> On 7/22/2022 7:43 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> What did you watch?
>>
>> Hey, thanks for asking!
>>
>> I finished all the FOR ALL MANKIND episodes that I’ve dropped so far.
>> Covered elsewhere.
>>
>> I then watched about 3/4 of MOONFALL.
>
> I was hoping to squeeze this in after watching Independence Day, but now
> I'll probably get to it whenever I get around to revisiting Armageddon
> and similar movies. Actually now that I think about it, I just
> pre-ordered a new blu-ray of When Worlds Collide. This might pair well
> with that. Or maybe not. I'll figure it out eventually.

I missed the end which seemed to be turning into 2001 or possibly contact.
But up until then it’s pretty much EARTHSTORM! That would be a good
pairing. Hey, look, somebody remade EARTHSTORM with a budget that had TWO
additional zeros in it!

> snip
>>
>> ONLY MURDERERS IN THE BUILDING S02E05 (I think)
>> This continues to be silly fun and goes meta
>
> I like meta. I still *really* need to get around to watching this. But
> there are so many streaming shows I still haven't gotten to yet.

No hurry. It’s on going. I would wait for any given season to drop all its
episodes. The half hour installments go by very quickly so it’s a good
thing to binge.

> I watched:
>

> NOPE (theatrical) - NO SPOILERS - New Sci-fi horror movie written,
> directed, and produced by Jordan Peele. It stars Daniel Kaluuya and
> Keke Palmer as a brother and sister who own a ranch out in the middle of
> nowhere who suspect an alien spacecraft is hovering overhead and they
> are determined to get it on film. After their initial attempts with
> help from the guy (Brandon Perea) at the local electronics store come up
> short, they hire a professional filmmaker (Michael Wincott) to make sure
> they get usable footage. Steven Yeun also co-stars, and how to put this,
> his entire character and story arc, for the most part, could have been
> completely cut from the movie. But here's where it gets interesting.
> Most of those money shots in the trailer are from his scenes! It was
> like Peele wrote a completing unrelated horror movie featuring Steven
> Yeun, then put that unconnected movie into this movie. But because that
> other movie is so good, technically I can't say NOPE would have been
> better off without it.
>
> So is this a good movie worth watching? Honestly I don't know what to
> make of it. I really liked Peele's "Get Out." I didn't care much for
> "Us." This is probably somewhere in between. I remember while watching
> "Us" and picking holes in the plot. NOPE, doesn't really have obvious
> plot holes, except for one, that may or may not be a plot hole. Where
> did the alien come from? If your answer is the alien came from outer
> space, then there is no plot hole. But, if like me you watch the movie
> and start to wonder, WHERE DID THAT ALIEN COME FROM?!?!? Then maybe
> there is a plot hole. I haven't decided yet.
>
> Or another way to think of it, John Carpenter's "The Thing" has a scene
> at the beginning where you see the alien space craft crash on Earth.
> Imagine that exact same movie, but without that establishing scene.
> It's still obviously an alien that crashed on Earth, but without that
> establishing shot, some people might ask where did the alien come from,
> while others will say it's obvious, stop asking silly questions.

Better still, John carpenters “the thing” continues to have my name in the
credits for the special features. But

> As an aside, the electronics store Brandon Perea worked at was "Frys."
> If you've never heard of Frys before they were a big box store, sort of
> a cross between Best Buy and Radio Shack. Sort of a niche store with a
> very loyal fan base. It stood out because the Frys name and brand was
> very prominently featured in the movie., But Frys customers would also
> be very much aware that Frys recently, and suddenly, went out of
> business. This movie was made *after* they went out of business. Just
> one of those details that a chunk of the audience would "get" but the
> majority would not get.

I had no idea they’d gone away. I just asked Siri and she put up a picture
of the closest one with big red letters PERMANENTLY CLOSED.

I’ve never been there. I would’ve had to drive past Best Buy to get to it.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-21 (Thursday)

<tbem9n$38nv4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=148309&group=rec.arts.tv#148309

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2022 10:20:55 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Fri, 22 Jul 2022 17:20 UTC

On 2022-07-22 08:30:41 +0000, Ubiquitous said:

> What did you watch?

First, I watched this Wed. but forgot to mention it:

Motherland: Fort Salem (recorded) - "Session in the Cession" (ep. #3.5).
Arthur was right that this episode was better again. But if I'm
grading season #3 overall, I'm grading it *very harshly* - for a
series' final season, this has been really lackluster, with main
characters and cast members missing right and left, and a complete
change of atmosphere (i.e. almost no Fort Salem in S3) which I really
don't like.
But this episode was better. The inter-tribal council of the Cession
meets with Our Heroes!(tm), sans Raelle (who is still completely absent
from the show) and Nicte (who is barely in this episode, and is still
being played by Kandyse McClure). The Council wants to hand Our Heroes!
over to now-Pres. Silver. But Our Heroes! argue their case, esp. about
the Camarilla threat, and manage to talk themselves into a permanent
exiling from the Cession instead.
But then EVOL!!1! Alban Hearst of the Camarilla and some goons
attack, intending to wipe out Our Heroes!, but Alder shows up and saves
their bacon. In a ridiculous development, Hearst escapes when Alder
collapses, and no one, not even Abigail, goes after him. However, this
is enough to convince the most skeptical member of the Cession Council
of the true threat.
Meanwhile, Anacostia and Sterling escape from confinement (and Nazi
surgery!!) in the Camarilla compound, and then look around in order to
spy, and discover a horrific development!
It looks like Raelle may actually, finally! be in the next episode...

Yesterday, I was really sick in the morning, and basically couldn't
keep awake at all before 9am, but things got milder again by the
afternoon, so I got through:

Sisters (LMN) - I was barely conscious yesterday morning, and this is
not the kind of movie you want to be watching when your head's not OK!
- a weird arthouse horror(?) flick starring Chloe Sevingy!!
It turns out this 2006 flick is a remake of a 1972 Brian De Palma
flick - no wonder it's disturbing!!
I sure as heck don't recommend this, esp. when you're sick!

soaps: DOOL - Uh... Honestly this was mostly stuff I didn't care about.
But in an amusing (but utterly ridiculous!!) development, Orpheus
blackmails the Gov. of the state to pardon himself, Evan... and Kristen
DiMera!!
GH - Nuked by coverage of Biden's stupid COVID (which isn't even
half as bad as my case! :p ) - they ran a rerun yesterday instead.

Close Range (Prime) - This 2015 Scott Adkins flick wasn't nearly as
enjoyable as 2018's "Accident Man".
This was almost a neo-western.
Adkins plays Colt, a rogue formerly military man (and apparent
fugitive), who is tasked by his sister (Caitlin Keats) to rescue his
niece (Madison Lawler, who I've seen in one or two other things) from
her kidnappers in Sonora, Mexico. This is a decent sequence in which
Adkins' Colt uses just a knife from his belt to take down about about a
dozen-plus cartel thugs in order to rescue his niece. In so doing, Colt
also absconds with a flash drive that is very, very valuable to the
cartel leader (Tony Perez).
Colt gets his niece (and the flash drive) back to Santa Cruz county,
Arizona (but the movie was filmed in the L.A. area, which looks
*nothing* like Tucson-area Arizona! - it was far too green!!).
There Colt, his sister, and the niece, have to content with the
sister's idiot crook husband, the crooked local sheriff (Nick
Chinlund!) who is on the cartel payroll, and then eventually the cartel
leader and his whole platoon of Cartel thugs assaulting their home!
The really eye roll-worthy part of this? - Why are all of these
Cartel thugs so adept with the "chop-socky"!??! OK, I get that Cartel
thugs would know how to operate guns! But why did nearly all of them
seem to know, karate/judo/kung fu/etc.?!!
Anyway, even at <90 minutes, this was a bit of a slog. It's OK, but
probably ranks in the middle of Adkins' movie efforts.

Hunting Emma (Tubi; aka. "Jagveld") - This was interesting.
First, this 2017 flick is from South Africa.
Even more exotically, it's in Afrikaans, which as a lanuage that is
kind of like "pidgeon Dutch" with random English words or phrases
thrown in. It's like you can almost undertand parts of it, as it's
close enough to English/German, but not other parts!
Anyway, a hippy-dippy school teacher name Emma (SA actress Leandie
du Randt Bosch - Anim will be interested that she also starred in
2017's "Empire of the Sharks"!!) is heading home to her father's place
in the Karoo region (i.e. sparse desert-y grassland) of South Africa.
Her father is a former special operator in South Africa's military, but
she has become a pacificist as an adult.
On her way home, her car breaks down, and she witness 6 thugs murder
a police officer. She is at first captured by them, but manages to
escape, get some supplies for her car, and then endeavors to treck,
overland! through the so-called "veld" to get back to her father's
place!
But the thugs figure this out, and start tracking and pursuing her.
Can she escape them? Or will she be forced to confront them? And, if
so, can she remain a pacifist? Or will she have to resort to the
violence her veteran father has trained her for since childhood?!
This shares some things in common with 2011's "You're Next" (except
for the wildly different settings!), in which a lone heroine is forced
to fight back against thugs.
Anyway, I liked this quite a bit - it has a 5.9/10 rating on IMDb,
and if anything that's a little low. It's maybe a little bit too long,
though.

The Time Traveler's Wife (HBO) - Ep. #2. We get some good background on
Henry and his mother.
So far, though, the show seems to be shorting us on Clare's background.

I finished out with two wildly different "teen" flicks:

The Duff (Netflix) - I've been wanting to see this for years, and I
quite enjoyed this 2015 flick.
Mae Whitman plays Bianca, "the DUFF" ("Designated Ugly Fat Friend")
in her group (which also includes Skylar Samuels, and Bianca Santos
looking way better than she ever did on "Legacies"!!).
Bianca is outraged when her neightbor, high school football captain
Wesley (Robbie Amell, in possibly his most likeable role to date),
points out to Bianca that she is "the DUFF".
Bianca reacts by dropping her friends, and cutting a deal with
Wesley - she will help him pass Chemistry, if he will teach her to not
be a "DUFF".
Of course, this makes Wesley's ex, mean-girl Madison (Bella Thorne),
insanely jealous, and she retaliates by repeatedly humiliating Bianca.
You can guess where this is going, but it's fun getting there.
I quite liked this.

Assassination Nation (HBO Max) - This, OTOH, was an obnoxious,
pretentious exercise. It's trying to be "deep", but pretty generally
fails.
Yeah, sure, there are a few cool shots in here, but overall, this
was a film that was "trying to saying... something!", but doesn't
succeed.
However, there was a *kernel* of an interesting idea in here -
Russian hacker doxxes an American community as an experiment in
"cyper-warfare" - now *that* movie I'd be interested in seeing.
Basically, a group of four teen girls (who are about as woke as they
come!) get swepted up when a hacker starts doxxing various people in
town which causes chaos. Eventually, one of the girls (Odessa Young) is
fingered as the hacker/doxxer, and so the whole town descends on them
to kill all 4 girls.
This might have been OK, if it wasn't all so damn pretentious and
self-righteous.
You know those films on IMDb that have artificially high user
ratings? - This film is *one of those*.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-21 (Thursday)

<tbetmd$3am42$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=148323&group=rec.arts.tv#148323

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2022 12:27:06 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Fri, 22 Jul 2022 19:27 UTC

On 7/22/2022 9:09 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> [...]
>> plot holes, except for one, that may or may not be a plot hole. Where
>> did the alien come from? If your answer is the alien came from outer
>> space, then there is no plot hole. But, if like me you watch the movie
>> and start to wonder, WHERE DID THAT ALIEN COME FROM?!?!? Then maybe
>> there is a plot hole. I haven't decided yet.
>>
>> Or another way to think of it, John Carpenter's "The Thing" has a scene
>> at the beginning where you see the alien space craft crash on Earth.
>> Imagine that exact same movie, but without that establishing scene.
>> It's still obviously an alien that crashed on Earth, but without that
>> establishing shot, some people might ask where did the alien come from,
>> while others will say it's obvious, stop asking silly questions.
>>

> Better still, John carpenters “the thing” continues to have my name in the

I'll be watching it in a few months. I'll keep an eye out for the credit.

>> As an aside, the electronics store Brandon Perea worked at was "Frys."
>> If you've never heard of Frys before they were a big box store, sort of
>> a cross between Best Buy and Radio Shack. Sort of a niche store with a
>> very loyal fan base. It stood out because the Frys name and brand was
>> very prominently featured in the movie., But Frys customers would also
>> be very much aware that Frys recently, and suddenly, went out of
>> business. This movie was made *after* they went out of business. Just
>> one of those details that a chunk of the audience would "get" but the
>> majority would not get.
>
> I had no idea they’d gone away. I just asked Siri and she put up a picture
> of the closest one with big red letters PERMANENTLY CLOSED.
>
> I’ve never been there. I would’ve had to drive past Best Buy to get to it.

When I referred to Frys as having a very loyal fan base, we would
definitely have driven past a Best Buy to get to Frys! It's hard to
explain to the uninitiated, but they were definitely a destination store
to shop at. Especially if you were a computer geek who would build
custom computers. They also had massive DVD/blu-ray selections. And
they had great deals all the time.

And among those of us in the know, when they started to go under, it was
very obvious they were going under. There was *nothing* on their
shelves. Yet in an almost comical way on their social media accounts
they were swearing up and down nothing was wrong until the bitter end.

There's a youtuber who does short videos on various companies. He put
one out on Frys right after they went under. It's a pretty good watch
that will explain why they had a such a loyal customer base and why they
went under:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to-osQMHxpE

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-21 (Thursday)

<tbf7ti$3da31$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=148345&group=rec.arts.tv#148345

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2022 15:21:35 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Fri, 22 Jul 2022 22:21 UTC

On 7/22/2022 10:20 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> [...]
> overland! through the so-called "veld" to get back to her father's place!
>   But the thugs figure this out, and start tracking and pursuing her.
>   Can she escape them? Or will she be forced to confront them? And, if
> so, can she remain a pacifist? Or will she have to resort to the
> violence her veteran father has trained her for since childhood?!
>   This shares some things in common with 2011's "You're Next" (except
> for the wildly different settings!), in which a lone heroine is forced
> to fight back against thugs.
>   Anyway, I liked this quite a bit - it has a 5.9/10 rating on IMDb,
> and if anything that's a little low. It's maybe a little bit too long,
> though.
>
> The Time Traveler's Wife (HBO) - Ep. #2. We get some good background on
> Henry and his mother.
>   So far, though, the show seems to be shorting us on Clare's background.

They will get to that. The show is called "The Time Traveler's Wife" so
technically *she* is the protagonist of the show. This will be addressed...

> I finished out with two wildly different "teen" flicks:
>
> The Duff (Netflix) - I've been wanting to see this for years, and I
> quite enjoyed this 2015 flick.
>   Mae Whitman plays Bianca, "the DUFF" ("Designated Ugly Fat Friend")
> in her group (which also includes Skylar Samuels, and Bianca Santos
> looking way better than she ever did on "Legacies"!!).
>   Bianca is outraged when her neightbor, high school football captain
> Wesley (Robbie Amell, in possibly his most likeable role to date),
> points out to Bianca that she is "the DUFF".
>   Bianca reacts by dropping her friends, and cutting a deal with Wesley
> - she will help him pass Chemistry, if he will teach her to not be a
> "DUFF".
>   Of course, this makes Wesley's ex, mean-girl Madison (Bella Thorne),
> insanely jealous, and she retaliates by repeatedly humiliating Bianca.
>   You can guess where this is going, but it's fun getting there.
>   I quite liked this.

I don't think I ever saw this before. But I did see "Can't Buy Me Love"
as a kid in the 80s. This sounds like it's basically the same thing.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-21 (Thursday)

<1348618363.680224907.039068.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=148352&group=rec.arts.tv#148352

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2022 16:53:48 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Fri, 22 Jul 2022 23:53 UTC

> [...]
>>
>> I had no idea they’d gone away. I just asked Siri and she put up a picture
>> of the closest one with big red letters PERMANENTLY CLOSED.
>>
>> I’ve never been there. I would’ve had to drive past Best Buy to get to it.
>>

> When I referred to Frys as having a very loyal fan base, we would
> definitely have driven past a Best Buy to get to Frys! It's hard to
> explain to the uninitiated, but they were definitely a destination store
> to shop at. Especially if you were a computer geek who would build
> custom computers. They also had massive DVD/blu-ray selections. And
> they had great deals all the time.
>
> And among those of us in the know, when they started to go under, it was
> very obvious they were going under. There was *nothing* on their
> shelves. Yet in an almost comical way on their social media accounts
> they were swearing up and down nothing was wrong until the bitter end.

When Clauson pickles relish vanished off the shelves people asked the
company for years where the hell it was and they kept replying that they
were making it and it must just be some sort of distribution problem with
your store, ask your store manager. Then one day it changed to “we stopped
making that years ago”

> There's a youtuber who does short videos on various companies. He put
> one out on Frys right after they went under. It's a pretty good watch
> that will explain why they had a such a loyal customer base and why they
> went under:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to-osQMHxpE

Thanks!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-21 (Thursday)

<tbfent$3el8s$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=148361&group=rec.arts.tv#148361

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2022 20:18:05 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Sat, 23 Jul 2022 00:18 UTC

anim8rfsk@cox.net wrote:
> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:

>> What did you watch?
>
>Hey, thanks for asking!
>
>I then watched about 3/4 of MOONFALL. Madre de Dios! I don't know if this
>is supposed to be funny or satire or a naked gun type of thing or what but
>it's just awful. It must've cost a ton of money though.

Is that the movie with Walter Koenig?

>THE RAWHIDE YEARS 1956
>Silly but amiable semi western with a ridiculously young Tony Curtis hours
>of riverboat gamblers shill who gets caught up in smuggling and piracy and
>murder and has to make a run for it. Along the way he finds a comedic
>sidekick and a beautiful Dancehall songstress. Rather improbably everybody
>he meets across three years turns out to be tied in to the initial piracy
>and murder one way or the other and keeps documentation around so at the
>end all he has to do is show a bundle of letters to the sheriff and all is
>forgiven.
>
>Written by Earl Felton, who two years ago before wrote 20,000 leagues under
>the Sea and even recycles some of his dialogue from the previous film.
>
>There's a huge problem with the initial set up where a man on a riverboat
>is murdered so the wooden Indian he's taking to his brother can be stolen.
>Curtis is blamed. But it turns out the brother is the guy who had the man
>murdered so he could steal the Indian (full of smuggled gold) that was
>being brought to him anyway, and now keeps it on display prominently in his
>home!

Wait, how big is this cigar store Indian? Gold is very very heavy, is it not?

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-21 (Thursday)

<tbfetj$3el8s$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=148363&group=rec.arts.tv#148363

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2022 20:21:07 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Sat, 23 Jul 2022 00:21 UTC

In article <tbegij$377jh$1@dont-email.me>, arthur@alum.calberkeley.org wrote:
> On 7/22/2022 7:43 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:

>>> What did you watch?
>>
>> Hey, thanks for asking!
>
>I watched:
>
>NOPE (theatrical) - NO SPOILERS - New Sci-fi horror movie written,
>directed, and produced by Jordan Peele. It stars Daniel Kaluuya and
>Keke Palmer as a brother and sister who own a ranch out in the middle of
>nowhere who suspect an alien spacecraft is hovering overhead

Why do they suspect this? Is it invisible overhead?

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-21 (Thursday)

<tbff4i$3el8s$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=148366&group=rec.arts.tv#148366

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2022 20:24:49 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Sat, 23 Jul 2022 00:24 UTC

anim8rfsk@cox.net wrote:
> Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>> As an aside, the electronics store Brandon Perea worked at was "Frys."
>> If you've never heard of Frys before they were a big box store, sort of
>> a cross between Best Buy and Radio Shack. Sort of a niche store with a
>> very loyal fan base. It stood out because the Frys name and brand was
>> very prominently featured in the movie., But Frys customers would also
>> be very much aware that Frys recently, and suddenly, went out of
>> business. This movie was made *after* they went out of business. Just
>> one of those details that a chunk of the audience would "get" but the
>> majority would not get.
>
> I had no idea they'd gone away. I just asked Siri and she put up a picture
> of the closest one with big red letters PERMANENTLY CLOSED.
>
> I've never been there. I would've had to drive past Best Buy to get to it.

I'm not sure I was ever at a Frys, but I remember seeing the name pop up when
I was shopping online for computer parts.

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-21 (Thursday)

<tbff72$3el8s$6@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=148367&group=rec.arts.tv#148367

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2022 20:26:10 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Sat, 23 Jul 2022 00:26 UTC

anim8rfsk@cox.net wrote:
>Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>> When I referred to Frys as having a very loyal fan base, we would
>> definitely have driven past a Best Buy to get to Frys! It's hard to
>> explain to the uninitiated, but they were definitely a destination store
>> to shop at. Especially if you were a computer geek who would build
>> custom computers. They also had massive DVD/blu-ray selections. And
>> they had great deals all the time.
>>
>> And among those of us in the know, when they started to go under, it was
>> very obvious they were going under. There was *nothing* on their
>> shelves. Yet in an almost comical way on their social media accounts
>> they were swearing up and down nothing was wrong until the bitter end.
>
>When Clauson pickles relish vanished off the shelves people asked the
>company for years where the hell it was and they kept replying that they
>were making it and it must just be some sort of distribution problem with
>your store, ask your store manager. Then one day it changed to “we stopped
>making that years ago”

Wow, I totally forgot about those!

>> There's a youtuber who does short videos on various companies. He put
>> one out on Frys right after they went under. It's a pretty good watch
>> that will explain why they had a such a loyal customer base and why they
>> went under:
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to-osQMHxpE
>
>Thanks!

Will look at it later.

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-21 (Thursday)

<tbfj4r$3ipti$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=148376&group=rec.arts.tv#148376

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2022 18:33:11 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Sat, 23 Jul 2022 01:33 UTC

On 7/22/2022 5:21 PM, Ubiquitous wrote:
> In article <tbegij$377jh$1@dont-email.me>, arthur@alum.calberkeley.org wrote:

>>> Hey, thanks for asking!
>>
>> I watched:
>>
>> NOPE (theatrical) - NO SPOILERS - New Sci-fi horror movie written,
>> directed, and produced by Jordan Peele. It stars Daniel Kaluuya and
>> Keke Palmer as a brother and sister who own a ranch out in the middle of
>> nowhere who suspect an alien spacecraft is hovering overhead
>
> Why do they suspect this? Is it invisible overhead?

It looks like a cloud. They notice it's not natural when the other
clouds move, but it stays perfectly stationary for hours.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-21 (Thursday)

<224060324.680244097.810121.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=148400&group=rec.arts.tv#148400

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2022 21:51:23 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sat, 23 Jul 2022 04:51 UTC

Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
> anim8rfsk@cox.net wrote:
>> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
>
>>> What did you watch?
>>
>> Hey, thanks for asking!
>>
>> I then watched about 3/4 of MOONFALL. Madre de Dios! I don't know if this
>> is supposed to be funny or satire or a naked gun type of thing or what but
>> it's just awful. It must've cost a ton of money though.
>
> Is that the movie with Walter Koenig?

That’s MOONTRAP and that’s an excellent point in that there’s a big hunk of
that classic in MOONFALL as well. They take the shuttle endeavor out of
the museum and somehow happen to have a launch vehicle laying around and
shoot it to the moon.

>> THE RAWHIDE YEARS 1956
>> Silly but amiable semi western with a ridiculously young Tony Curtis hours
>> of riverboat gamblers shill who gets caught up in smuggling and piracy and
>> murder and has to make a run for it. Along the way he finds a comedic
>> sidekick and a beautiful Dancehall songstress. Rather improbably everybody
>> he meets across three years turns out to be tied in to the initial piracy
>> and murder one way or the other and keeps documentation around so at the
>> end all he has to do is show a bundle of letters to the sheriff and all is
>> forgiven.
>>
>> Written by Earl Felton, who two years ago before wrote 20,000 leagues under
>> the Sea and even recycles some of his dialogue from the previous film.
>>
>> There's a huge problem with the initial set up where a man on a riverboat
>> is murdered so the wooden Indian he's taking to his brother can be stolen.
>> Curtis is blamed. But it turns out the brother is the guy who had the man
>> murdered so he could steal the Indian (full of smuggled gold) that was
>> being brought to him anyway, and now keeps it on display prominently in his
>> home!
>
> Wait, how big is this cigar store Indian? Gold is very very heavy, is it not?

These are thoughts that occurred to me. The cigar store Indian was human
sized. Carved from wood. You would think if you put enough gold to matter
inside of it people will be asking questions like “why is this so heavy?
What the hell is it filled with, gold?“
I’m also not sure why they were smuggling gold at all. But I don’t think
they ever told us what year they were in. Still it has to be probably
around the 1880s and it wouldn’t become illegal to own gold for another 50
years.

> --
> Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-21 (Thursday)

<230720220730532196%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=148439&group=rec.arts.tv#148439

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2022 07:30:53 -0400
 by: A Friend - Sat, 23 Jul 2022 11:30 UTC

In article
anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
> > anim8rfsk@cox.net wrote:

> >> Hey, thanks for asking!
> >>
> >> I then watched about 3/4 of MOONFALL. Madre de Dios! I don't know if this
> >> is supposed to be funny or satire or a naked gun type of thing or what but
> >> it's just awful. It must've cost a ton of money though.
> >
> > Is that the movie with Walter Koenig?
>
> That¹s MOONTRAP and that¹s an excellent point in that there¹s a big hunk of
> that classic in MOONFALL as well. They take the shuttle endeavor out of
> the museum and somehow happen to have a launch vehicle laying around and
> shoot it to the moon.
>

> >> THE RAWHIDE YEARS 1956
> >> Silly but amiable semi western with a ridiculously young Tony Curtis hours
> >> of riverboat gamblers shill who gets caught up in smuggling and piracy and
> >> murder and has to make a run for it. Along the way he finds a comedic
> >> sidekick and a beautiful Dancehall songstress. Rather improbably everybody
> >> he meets across three years turns out to be tied in to the initial piracy
> >> and murder one way or the other and keeps documentation around so at the
> >> end all he has to do is show a bundle of letters to the sheriff and all is
> >> forgiven.
> >>
> >> Written by Earl Felton, who two years ago before wrote 20,000 leagues under
> >> the Sea and even recycles some of his dialogue from the previous film.
> >>
> >> There's a huge problem with the initial set up where a man on a riverboat
> >> is murdered so the wooden Indian he's taking to his brother can be stolen.
> >> Curtis is blamed. But it turns out the brother is the guy who had the man
> >> murdered so he could steal the Indian (full of smuggled gold) that was
> >> being brought to him anyway, and now keeps it on display prominently in his
> >> home!
> >
> > Wait, how big is this cigar store Indian? Gold is very very heavy, is it
> > not?
> >

> These are thoughts that occurred to me. The cigar store Indian was human
> sized. Carved from wood. You would think if you put enough gold to matter
> inside of it people will be asking questions like ³why is this so heavy?
> What the hell is it filled with, gold?³
> I¹m also not sure why they were smuggling gold at all. But I don¹t think
> they ever told us what year they were in. Still it has to be probably
> around the 1880s and it wouldn¹t become illegal to own gold for another 50
> years.

The volume of the average adult human is 62,000 cm^3. That equates to
1,195,484 g, a little over 2635 lbs. That's one big-ass Indian.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-21 (Thursday)

<2043273599.680281345.860044.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=148452&group=rec.arts.tv#148452

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2022 08:09:25 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sat, 23 Jul 2022 15:09 UTC

A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:
> In article
> <224060324.680244097.810121.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>,
> anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:

>>> Is that the movie with Walter Koenig?
>>
>> That¹s MOONTRAP and that¹s an excellent point in that there¹s a big hunk of
>> that classic in MOONFALL as well. They take the shuttle endeavor out of
>> the museum and somehow happen to have a launch vehicle laying around and
>> shoot it to the moon.

>>> Wait, how big is this cigar store Indian? Gold is very very heavy, is it
>>> not?
>>>

>> These are thoughts that occurred to me. The cigar store Indian was human
>> sized. Carved from wood. You would think if you put enough gold to matter
>> inside of it people will be asking questions like ³why is this so heavy?
>> What the hell is it filled with, gold?³
>> I¹m also not sure why they were smuggling gold at all. But I don¹t think
>> they ever told us what year they were in. Still it has to be probably
>> around the 1880s and it wouldn¹t become illegal to own gold for another 50
>> years.
>

> The volume of the average adult human is 62,000 cm^3. That equates to
> 1,195,484 g, a little over 2635 lbs. That's one big-ass Indian.

Probably has a hollow leg.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-21 (Thursday)

<tbm55t$17lkg$10@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=148690&group=rec.arts.tv#148690

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2022 09:17:49 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Mon, 25 Jul 2022 13:17 UTC

In article <tbfj4r$3ipti$1@dont-email.me>, arthur@alum.calberkeley.org wrote:
> On 7/22/2022 5:21 PM, Ubiquitous wrote:
>> arthur@alum.calberkeley.org wrote:

>>> NOPE (theatrical) - NO SPOILERS - New Sci-fi horror movie written,
>>> directed, and produced by Jordan Peele. It stars Daniel Kaluuya and
>>> Keke Palmer as a brother and sister who own a ranch out in the middle of
>>> nowhere who suspect an alien spacecraft is hovering overhead
>>
>> Why do they suspect this? Is it invisible overhead?
>
>It looks like a cloud. They notice it's not natural when the other
>clouds move, but it stays perfectly stationary for hours.

Why does that sound familiar and ridiculous?

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-21 (Thursday)

<tbm5cd$17lkg$11@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=148691&group=rec.arts.tv#148691

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2022 09:21:17 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Mon, 25 Jul 2022 13:21 UTC

anim8rfsk@cox.net wrote:
> A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:
>> anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

>>> These are thoughts that occurred to me. The cigar store Indian was human
>>> sized. Carved from wood. You would think if you put enough gold to matter
>>> inside of it people will be asking questions like �why is this so heavy?
>>> What the hell is it filled with, gold?�
>>> I�m also not sure why they were smuggling gold at all. But I don�t think
>>> they ever told us what year they were in. Still it has to be probably
>>> around the 1880s and it wouldn�t become illegal to own gold for another 50
>>> years.
>>
>> The volume of the average adult human is 62,000 cm^3. That equates to
>> 1,195,484 g, a little over 2635 lbs. That's one big-ass Indian.
>
>Probably has a hollow leg.

Heh. There was an ep of WWW this weekend about a general hiding his stolen gold
by melting it down and making of a statue of himself (coated with paint
or plaster) in the town square.

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-21 (Thursday)

<686851150.680450920.781384.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=148706&group=rec.arts.tv#148706

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2022 07:09:19 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Mon, 25 Jul 2022 14:09 UTC

Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
> anim8rfsk@cox.net wrote:
>> A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:

>>> The volume of the average adult human is 62,000 cm^3. That equates to
>>> 1,195,484 g, a little over 2635 lbs. That's one big-ass Indian.
>>
>> Probably has a hollow leg.
>
> Heh. There was an ep of WWW this weekend about a general hiding his stolen gold
> by melting it down and making of a statue of himself (coated with paint
> or plaster) in the town square.

I remember that one!