Come, muse, let us sing of rats! -- From a poem by James Grainger, 1721-1767

arts / rec.arts.tv / Once You Kiss a Stranger (1969)

SubjectAuthor
* Once You Kiss a Stranger (1969)Adam H. Kerman
+* Re: Once You Kiss a Stranger (1969)anim8rfsk
|`* Re: Once You Kiss a Stranger (1969)Adam H. Kerman
| `- Re: Once You Kiss a Stranger (1969)anim8rfsk
`* Re: Once You Kiss a Stranger (1969)super70s
 `* Re: Once You Kiss a Stranger (1969)Adam H. Kerman
  +- Re: Once You Kiss a Stranger (1969)anim8rfsk
  `- Re: Once You Kiss a Stranger (1969)super70s

1
Once You Kiss a Stranger (1969)

<tbnv9s$1p8c6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=148858&group=rec.arts.tv#148858

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Once You Kiss a Stranger (1969)
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2022 05:49:48 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Tue, 26 Jul 2022 05:49 UTC

This will air Tuesday July 26 at 7:30 am on TCM, part of an all-day
marathon of movies with the word Stranger in the title.

I could have sworn I'd written up a review of this but I can't find it.
I missed it last time TCM aired it and had to borrow the movie through
interlibrary loan.

It's not a good movie, but I'll watch anything in it with Carol Lynley.
She's not even top billed, but second.

Also, she's not the victim for once! She's the perpetrator! She gets to
play against type!

She... doesn't pull it off.

This movie is an argument for never getting to the theater late. Diana (Miss
Lynley) arises from the Pacific Ocean in a stunning lime green two-piece
bathing suit. She's 27 and looks younger. She's lithe and athletic
and... holding a spear-fishing gun? No fish. She does spear a little
girl's beach ball to frighten her into leaving "her" beach. I don't
think she has riparian rights.

She goes inside her home and continues to wear the bathing suit, which
she's in for about 10 minutes, then again at the very end. I can't say
it's important to the plot but it held my interest. She tries to kill
her cat but gets scratched for it.

What is important to the plot is the Panasonic model NV-8100
reel-to-reel videotape recorder and the handbag with a hole in its side.
She's setting up a blackmail scheme.

In the opening titles, one of the three writers is Patricia Highsmith.
What does she have to do with this movie? She wrote several novels
adapted into famous movies: Strangers on a Train, The Talented Mr.
Ripley (first adapted into an episode of an anthology series) and Deep
Water, now a Ben Affleck movie in its third adaptation.

She didn't die till the mid '90s and I couldn't imagine she had anything
to do with it, but it's Warner Bros. exploiting their adaptation rights
to Strangers on a Train, with Lynley playing the Bruno Anthony role.
Would you believe there was a third adaptation for television in 1996,
this time with Jacqueline Bisset playing the Bruno Anthony role?

Diana is seeing psychiatrist Dr. Haggis (Whit Bissell), who is threatening
to re-institutionalize her. His psychiatric diagnosis makes no sense and
he draws his conclusions from the cat scratch. She wants Haggis dead
to prevent this. She's living on monies given to her by her family.
She watches some golf, then at her grandmother's house, sees more of the
same golf tournement. Why she and the grandmother are big golf fans
should have been stated in script but never is.

The tv announcer looks and sounds exactly like George Fenneman.

She sees Jerry Marshall (Paul Burke) lose once again to Mike Wilson
(Philip Carey). There's also an older golfer Pete (Peter Lynd Hayes).
The three men hang out after the tournement; Pete tries to be friends
with the two rivals.

Ok. You know where this is going. Diana seduces Mike then kills him and
plants evidence against Jerry. She's videotaped the whole thing. I'm not
sure how this works as blackmail.

Will Jerry commit murder for her? I should mention that Jerry is married
to older but still gorgeous Martha Hyer).ill Jerry commit murder for
her? I should mention that Jerry is married to older but still gorgeous
Martha Hyer).ill Jerry commit murder for her? I should mention that
Jerry is married to older but still gorgeous Martha Hyer).ill Jerry
commit murder for her? I should mention that Jerry is married to Lee (older
but still gorgeous Martha Hyer).

The movie has its moments. Miss Linley is still fun trying to pull off
the villain. Then there's an over-the-top scene in which she tries to
murder Lee with a dune buggy. But the movie is dragged down by star Paul
Burke's annoyingly angsty performance. His scenes are lousy.

The cops are dumb as a box of rocks.

Re: Once You Kiss a Stranger (1969)

<587177681.680539246.094497.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=148890&group=rec.arts.tv#148890

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: Once You Kiss a Stranger (1969)
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2022 07:45:13 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Tue, 26 Jul 2022 14:45 UTC

Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
> This will air Tuesday July 26 at 7:30 am on TCM, part of an all-day
> marathon of movies with the word Stranger in the title.
>
> I could have sworn I'd written up a review of this but I can't find it.
> I missed it last time TCM aired it and had to borrow the movie through
> interlibrary loan.
>
> It's not a good movie, but I'll watch anything in it with Carol Lynley.

I ever tell you about the time I stared at plaster molds of her breasts
until my parents dragged me away?

> She's not even top billed, but second.
>
> Also, she's not the victim for once! She's the perpetrator! She gets to
> play against type!
>
> She... doesn't pull it off.

The bathing suit?

> This movie is an argument for never getting to the theater late. Diana (Miss
> Lynley) arises from the Pacific Ocean in a stunning lime green two-piece
> bathing suit. She's 27 and looks younger. She's lithe and athletic
> and... holding a spear-fishing gun? No fish. She does spear a little
> girl's beach ball to frighten her into leaving "her" beach. I don't
> think she has riparian rights.
>
> She goes inside her home and continues to wear the bathing suit, which
> she's in for about 10 minutes, then again at the very end. I can't say
> it's important to the plot but it held my interest. She tries to kill
> her cat but gets scratched for it.
>
> What is important to the plot is the Panasonic model NV-8100
> reel-to-reel videotape recorder and the handbag with a hole in its side.
> She's setting up a blackmail scheme.
>
> In the opening titles, one of the three writers is Patricia Highsmith.
> What does she have to do with this movie? She wrote several novels
> adapted into famous movies: Strangers on a Train, The Talented Mr.
> Ripley (first adapted into an episode of an anthology series) and Deep
> Water, now a Ben Affleck movie in its third adaptation.
>
> She didn't die till the mid '90s and I couldn't imagine she had anything
> to do with it, but it's Warner Bros. exploiting their adaptation rights
> to Strangers on a Train, with Lynley playing the Bruno Anthony role.
> Would you believe there was a third adaptation for television in 1996,
> this time with Jacqueline Bisset playing the Bruno Anthony role?
>
> Diana is seeing psychiatrist Dr. Haggis (Whit Bissell), who is threatening
> to re-institutionalize her. His psychiatric diagnosis makes no sense and
> he draws his conclusions from the cat scratch. She wants Haggis dead
> to prevent this. She's living on monies given to her by her family.
> She watches some golf, then at her grandmother's house, sees more of the
> same golf tournement. Why she and the grandmother are big golf fans
> should have been stated in script but never is.
>
> The tv announcer looks and sounds exactly like George Fenneman.
>
> She sees Jerry Marshall (Paul Burke) lose once again to Mike Wilson
> (Philip Carey). There's also an older golfer Pete (Peter Lynd Hayes).
> The three men hang out after the tournement; Pete tries to be friends
> with the two rivals.
>
> Ok. You know where this is going. Diana seduces Mike then kills him and
> plants evidence against Jerry. She's videotaped the whole thing. I'm not
> sure how this works as blackmail.
>
> Will Jerry commit murder for her? I should mention that Jerry is married
> to older but still gorgeous Martha Hyer).ill Jerry commit murder for
> her? I should mention that Jerry is married to older but still gorgeous
> Martha Hyer).ill Jerry commit murder for her? I should mention that
> Jerry is married to older but still gorgeous Martha Hyer).ill Jerry
> commit murder for her? I should mention that Jerry is married to Lee (older
> but still gorgeous Martha Hyer).

Rowr

> The movie has its moments. Miss Linley is still fun trying to pull off
> the villain. Then there's an over-the-top scene in which she tries to
> murder Lee with a dune buggy. But the movie is dragged down by star Paul
> Burke's annoyingly angsty performance. His scenes are lousy.

Always. I think the only time he was ever convincing was when he played the
abject coward in the pilot for 12 o’clock high. Also an actress friend of
mine says he kisses like a fish.

> The cops are dumb as a box of rocks.

Re: Once You Kiss a Stranger (1969)

<tbp089$21j46$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=148892&group=rec.arts.tv#148892

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2022 15:12:10 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Tue, 26 Jul 2022 15:12 UTC

anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

>>This will air Tuesday July 26 at 7:30 am on TCM, part of an all-day
>>marathon of movies with the word Stranger in the title.

>>I could have sworn I'd written up a review of this but I can't find it.
>>I missed it last time TCM aired it and had to borrow the movie through
>>interlibrary loan.

>>It's not a good movie, but I'll watch anything in it with Carol Lynley.

>I ever tell you about the time I stared at plaster molds of her breasts
>until my parents dragged me away?

In the previous thread, yes. But you never told me how the molds came
about.

>>She's not even top billed, but second.

>>Also, she's not the victim for once! She's the perpetrator! She gets to
>>play against type!

>>She... doesn't pull it off.

>The bathing suit?

Alas, she changes off screen.

>>. . .

Re: Once You Kiss a Stranger (1969)

<871392278.680548294.437608.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=148907&group=rec.arts.tv#148907

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2022 10:33:35 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Tue, 26 Jul 2022 17:33 UTC

Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
> anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>> Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
>
>>> This will air Tuesday July 26 at 7:30 am on TCM, part of an all-day
>>> marathon of movies with the word Stranger in the title.
>
>>> I could have sworn I'd written up a review of this but I can't find it.
>>> I missed it last time TCM aired it and had to borrow the movie through
>>> interlibrary loan.
>
>>> It's not a good movie, but I'll watch anything in it with Carol Lynley.
>
>> I ever tell you about the time I stared at plaster molds of her breasts
>> until my parents dragged me away?
>
> In the previous thread, yes. But you never told me how the molds came
> about.

I’ve never been able to find out. They were just in this clear display case
along with Leonard Nimoy‘s ears. Which at least gives us a timeframe.
Pre-1970. There was a little write up on them being done but I don’t recall
it saying what the project was. I don’t think I ever heard of her before…

A Google search for “Carol Lynley's breasts molds” yields disappointing
results. You think somebody would’ve taken pictures even if it was just of
Spock‘s ears and they caught the breasts by accident.

>>> She's not even top billed, but second.
>
>>> Also, she's not the victim for once! She's the perpetrator! She gets to
>>> play against type!
>
>>> She... doesn't pull it off.
>
>> The bathing suit?
>
> Alas, she changes off screen.

:(

>>> . . .

Re: Once You Kiss a Stranger (1969)

<super70s-2942D1.13325226072022@reader5.news.weretis.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=148927&group=rec.arts.tv#148927

From: super...@super70s.invalid (super70s)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2022 13:32:52 -0500
 by: super70s - Tue, 26 Jul 2022 18:32 UTC

In article <tbnv9s$1p8c6$1@dont-email.me>,
"Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

> Diana is seeing psychiatrist Dr. Haggis (Whit Bissell), who is threatening
> to re-institutionalize her. His psychiatric diagnosis makes no sense and
> he draws his conclusions from the cat scratch. She wants Haggis dead
> to prevent this.

This made me think of a neat little thriller I watched recently,
Unsanity. Claire Foy is a young woman still traumatized by an erstwhile
stalker, goes to a mental institution for a single consultation, then
gets admitted unvoluntarily because of some insurance scam. Guess who
one of the orderlies is. No demons or goblins in this one, everything in
it could feasibly happen which makes it even scarier. From director
Steven Soderbergh (Contagion, Side Effects), I like his style.

Re: Once You Kiss a Stranger (1969)

<tbpdkf$24dfu$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=148936&group=rec.arts.tv#148936

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2022 19:00:31 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Tue, 26 Jul 2022 19:00 UTC

super70s <super70s@super70s.invalid> wrote:

>>. . .

>This made me think of a neat little thriller I watched recently,
>Unsanity. Claire Foy is a young woman still traumatized by an erstwhile
>stalker, goes to a mental institution for a single consultation, then
>gets admitted unvoluntarily because of some insurance scam. Guess who
>one of the orderlies is. No demons or goblins in this one, everything in
>it could feasibly happen which makes it even scarier. From director
>Steven Soderbergh (Contagion, Side Effects), I like his style.

Do you mean Unsane (2018)? I've never seen it. Perhaps I'll track it
down. $1.8 million, shot on iPhone! Dollying was done with Soderbergh
being pushed around in a wheelchair!

Re: Once You Kiss a Stranger (1969)

<1770159465.680557341.082376.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=148945&group=rec.arts.tv#148945

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2022 12:46:18 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Tue, 26 Jul 2022 19:46 UTC

Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
> super70s <super70s@super70s.invalid> wrote:
>
>>> . . .
>
>> This made me think of a neat little thriller I watched recently,
>> Unsanity. Claire Foy is a young woman still traumatized by an erstwhile
>> stalker, goes to a mental institution for a single consultation, then
>> gets admitted unvoluntarily because of some insurance scam. Guess who
>> one of the orderlies is. No demons or goblins in this one, everything in
>> it could feasibly happen which makes it even scarier. From director
>> Steven Soderbergh (Contagion, Side Effects), I like his style.
>
> Do you mean Unsane (2018)? I've never seen it. Perhaps I'll track it
> down. $1.8 million, shot on iPhone! Dollying was done with Soderbergh
> being pushed around in a wheelchair!

Remember PROBE from 1972, with Hugh O’Brien? The pilot movie, not the
series SEARCH.

A couple of the people that worked on it are still around (I got a message
from Angel Tompkins a month or two ago, thanking me for a post!). They
claim that O’Brien hurt his back and they filmed most of his footage with
him in a wheelchair or sitting on counters and stuff. I need to go back and
watch it again and see if I can spot any of these shenanigans…

Re: Once You Kiss a Stranger (1969)

<super70s-85D776.06331727072022@reader.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=149064&group=rec.arts.tv#149064

From: super...@super70s.invalid (super70s)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2022 06:33:17 -0500
 by: super70s - Wed, 27 Jul 2022 11:33 UTC

In article <tbpdkf$24dfu$2@dont-email.me>,
"Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

> super70s <super70s@super70s.invalid> wrote:
>
> >>. . .
>
> >This made me think of a neat little thriller I watched recently,
> >Unsanity. Claire Foy is a young woman still traumatized by an erstwhile
> >stalker, goes to a mental institution for a single consultation, then
> >gets admitted unvoluntarily because of some insurance scam. Guess who
> >one of the orderlies is. No demons or goblins in this one, everything in
> >it could feasibly happen which makes it even scarier. From director
> >Steven Soderbergh (Contagion, Side Effects), I like his style.
>
> Do you mean Unsane (2018)? I've never seen it. Perhaps I'll track it
> down. $1.8 million, shot on iPhone! Dollying was done with Soderbergh
> being pushed around in a wheelchair!

Yeah sorry I got the title wrong.