Nice guys don't finish nice.

arts / rec.arts.tv / [OT] Another "cancellation" in the works

SubjectAuthor
* [OT] Another "cancellation" in the worksRhino
+* Re: [OT] Another "cancellation" in the worksA Friend
|+* Re: [OT] Another "cancellation" in the worksBTR1701
||+* Re: [OT] Another "cancellation" in the worksA Friend
|||`- Re: [OT] Another "cancellation" in the workstrotsky
||`- Re: [OT] Another "cancellation" in the workstrotsky
|+* Re: [OT] Another "cancellation" in the worksmoviePig
||`* Re: [OT] Another "cancellation" in the worksA Friend
|| `* Re: [OT] Another "cancellation" in the worksRhino
||  `* Re: [OT] Another "cancellation" in the worksmoviePig
||   `* Re: [OT] Another "cancellation" in the workstrotsky
||    `- Re: [OT] Another "cancellation" in the worksmoviePig
|`- Re: [OT] Another "cancellation" in the workstrotsky
`- Re: [OT] Another "cancellation" in the worksAdam H. Kerman

1
[OT] Another "cancellation" in the works

<tbp9u8$241o1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=148918&group=rec.arts.tv#148918

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: [OT] Another "cancellation" in the works
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2022 13:57:28 -0400
 by: Rhino - Tue, 26 Jul 2022 17:57 UTC

James Webb, after whom the James Webb Space Telescope is named, seems to
be on the radar of "activists" as another candidate for "cancellation".

https://www.wionews.com/science/why-nasa-is-being-pressured-to-change-james-webb-space-telescopes-name-500753

There are vague allegations that he somehow didn't do enough for
homosexuals at a time when very few people held them in high esteem.
Apparently, being just like everyone else at the time is now
sufficiently evil to get you "cancelled". I wonder if there is going to
be any resistance to this move or is NASA will simply name the telescope
after some gay who has no connection to space or science at all -
someone like Elton John, say - just to placate a few "activists".

Oh wait, I'm wrong: one of Elton John's songs is "Rocket Man"! Surely
that earns him the right to have a major satellite (re-)named in his honour!

FYI, James Webb died in 1992.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_E._Webb

Pay special attention to the last major section of the article where
Webb's role in the "Lavender" issue is described and debunked.

--
Rhino

Re: [OT] Another "cancellation" in the works

<260720221451124194%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=148935&group=rec.arts.tv#148935

Subject: Re: [OT] Another "cancellation" in the works
From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2022 14:51:12 -0400
 by: A Friend - Tue, 26 Jul 2022 18:51 UTC

In article <tbp9u8$241o1$1@dont-email.me>, Rhino
<no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:

> James Webb, after whom the James Webb Space Telescope is named, seems to
> be on the radar of "activists" as another candidate for "cancellation".

"Seems to be" being the operative words here. We also don't know who
wrote this piece or who these unnamed "activists" might be.

The space telescope will not be renamed. There is no chance of it
happening.

Re: [OT] Another "cancellation" in the works

<atropos-F11756.12041826072022@news.giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=148937&group=rec.arts.tv#148937

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2022 12:04:18 -0700
 by: BTR1701 - Tue, 26 Jul 2022 19:04 UTC

In article <260720221451124194%nope@noway.com>,
A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:

> In article <tbp9u8$241o1$1@dont-email.me>, Rhino
> <no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:
>
> > James Webb, after whom the James Webb Space Telescope is named, seems to
> > be on the radar of "activists" as another candidate for "cancellation".
>

> "Seems to be" being the operative words here. We also don't know who
> wrote this piece or who these unnamed "activists" might be.
>
> The space telescope will not be renamed. There is no chance of it
> happening.

"Thomas Jefferson's statue will not be removed. There is no chance that
happening."

Re: [OT] Another "cancellation" in the works

<tbpe6j$24dfu$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=148938&group=rec.arts.tv#148938

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2022 19:10:11 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Tue, 26 Jul 2022 19:10 UTC

>James Webb, after whom the James Webb Space Telescope is named, seems to
>be on the radar of "activists" as another candidate for "cancellation".

>https://www.wionews.com/science/why-nasa-is-being-pressured-to-change-james-webb-space-telescopes-name-500753

>There are vague allegations that he somehow didn't do enough for
>homosexuals at a time when very few people held them in high esteem.

I doubt Webb initiated any of it. NASA personnel were investigated
regularly by security services and homosexuality would have been deemed
to be a security risk making one subject to Soviet blackmail and
pressured into giving away state secrets.

The irony, of course, is that these investigations meant the Soviets
didn't have to work all that hard to make the blackmail work.

I wouldn't be surprised if he were given a list of people to fire and
ordered to act on it, just like every boss with employees requiring
security clearance at the time.

>. . .

Re: [OT] Another "cancellation" in the works

<260720221532194210%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=148940&group=rec.arts.tv#148940

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2022 15:32:19 -0400
 by: A Friend - Tue, 26 Jul 2022 19:32 UTC

In article <atropos-F11756.12041826072022@news.giganews.com>, BTR1701
<atropos@mac.com> wrote:

> In article <260720221451124194%nope@noway.com>,
> A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:
>
> > In article <tbp9u8$241o1$1@dont-email.me>, Rhino
> > <no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:
> >
> > > James Webb, after whom the James Webb Space Telescope is named, seems to
> > > be on the radar of "activists" as another candidate for "cancellation".
> >

> > "Seems to be" being the operative words here. We also don't know who
> > wrote this piece or who these unnamed "activists" might be.
> >
> > The space telescope will not be renamed. There is no chance of it
> > happening.
>
> "Thomas Jefferson's statue will not be removed. There is no chance that
> happening."

Whatevs. This is a scare piece aimed at suckers. The Webb will not be
renamed.

Re: [OT] Another "cancellation" in the works

<QoXDK.543304$70j.253693@fx16.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=148942&group=rec.arts.tv#148942

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2022 15:38:18 -0400
 by: moviePig - Tue, 26 Jul 2022 19:38 UTC

On 7/26/2022 2:51 PM, A Friend wrote:
> In article <tbp9u8$241o1$1@dont-email.me>, Rhino
> <no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:
>
>> James Webb, after whom the James Webb Space Telescope is named, seems to
>> be on the radar of "activists" as another candidate for "cancellation".
>

> "Seems to be" being the operative words here. We also don't know who
> wrote this piece or who these unnamed "activists" might be.
>
> The space telescope will not be renamed. There is no chance of it
> happening.

Notice the erudition level of the cited article:

"With the help of its deep infrared cameras, [the JWST] provided a
glimpse at the beauty and vastness of the cosmos and *EVEN* provided
valuable data for scientists to study." (emphasis emphasized)

But, of course, that 'valuable data' was just a lucky side-benefit of
NASA's $10-billion try for better Xmas-calendar snapshots...

Re: [OT] Another "cancellation" in the works

<260720221609295499%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=148954&group=rec.arts.tv#148954

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2022 16:09:29 -0400
 by: A Friend - Tue, 26 Jul 2022 20:09 UTC

In article <QoXDK.543304$70j.253693@fx16.iad>, moviePig
<pwallace@moviepig.com> wrote:

> On 7/26/2022 2:51 PM, A Friend wrote:
> > In article <tbp9u8$241o1$1@dont-email.me>, Rhino
> > <no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:
> >
> >> James Webb, after whom the James Webb Space Telescope is named, seems to
> >> be on the radar of "activists" as another candidate for "cancellation".
> >

> > "Seems to be" being the operative words here. We also don't know who
> > wrote this piece or who these unnamed "activists" might be.
> >
> > The space telescope will not be renamed. There is no chance of it
> > happening.
>
> Notice the erudition level of the cited article:
>
> "With the help of its deep infrared cameras, [the JWST] provided a
> glimpse at the beauty and vastness of the cosmos and *EVEN* provided
> valuable data for scientists to study." (emphasis emphasized)
>
> But, of course, that 'valuable data' was just a lucky side-benefit of
> NASA's $10-billion try for better Xmas-calendar snapshots...

LOL

This piece was nonsense.

Re: [OT] Another "cancellation" in the works

<tbpqg5$286jf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=148982&group=rec.arts.tv#148982

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2022 18:40:02 -0400
 by: Rhino - Tue, 26 Jul 2022 22:40 UTC

On 2022-07-26 4:09 PM, A Friend wrote:
> In article <QoXDK.543304$70j.253693@fx16.iad>, moviePig
> <pwallace@moviepig.com> wrote:
>
>> On 7/26/2022 2:51 PM, A Friend wrote:

>>> "Seems to be" being the operative words here. We also don't know who
>>> wrote this piece or who these unnamed "activists" might be.
>>>
>>> The space telescope will not be renamed. There is no chance of it
>>> happening.
>>
>> Notice the erudition level of the cited article:
>>
>> "With the help of its deep infrared cameras, [the JWST] provided a
>> glimpse at the beauty and vastness of the cosmos and *EVEN* provided
>> valuable data for scientists to study." (emphasis emphasized)

Apparently, it's cool - and not a bit racist - to diss journalists who
don't have English as a first language; WION is a news network from India.

>> But, of course, that 'valuable data' was just a lucky side-benefit of
>> NASA's $10-billion try for better Xmas-calendar snapshots...
>

> LOL
>
> This piece was nonsense.

And yet the Wikipedia article confirms that there was a significant
controversy about Webb's activities, enough to spark an investigation
into the allegations.

--
Rhino

Re: [OT] Another "cancellation" in the works

<1705823acc0e43c4$1$1440173$48d50260@news.newsdemon.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=148983&group=rec.arts.tv#148983

Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2022 17:40:20 -0500
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
 by: trotsky - Tue, 26 Jul 2022 22:40 UTC

On 7/26/2022 1:51 PM, A Friend wrote:
> In article <tbp9u8$241o1$1@dont-email.me>, Rhino
> <no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:
>
>> James Webb, after whom the James Webb Space Telescope is named, seems to
>> be on the radar of "activists" as another candidate for "cancellation".
>

> "Seems to be" being the operative words here. We also don't know who
> wrote this piece or who these unnamed "activists" might be.
>
> The space telescope will not be renamed. There is no chance of it
> happening.

Doesn't help "Rhino's" diarrhea of the cyber mouth though.

Re: [OT] Another "cancellation" in the works

<1705827d381d3a88$1$1440173$48d50260@news.newsdemon.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=148986&group=rec.arts.tv#148986

Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2022 17:43:39 -0500
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
 by: trotsky - Tue, 26 Jul 2022 22:43 UTC

On 7/26/2022 2:04 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> In article <260720221451124194%nope@noway.com>,
> A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:
>
>> In article <tbp9u8$241o1$1@dont-email.me>, Rhino
>> <no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:
>>
>>> James Webb, after whom the James Webb Space Telescope is named, seems to
>>> be on the radar of "activists" as another candidate for "cancellation".
>>

>> "Seems to be" being the operative words here. We also don't know who
>> wrote this piece or who these unnamed "activists" might be.
>>
>> The space telescope will not be renamed. There is no chance of it
>> happening.
>
> "Thomas Jefferson's statue will not be removed. There is no chance that
> happening."

Well played, Eunuch Derp. You haven't played the false equivalence card
for a while now.

Re: [OT] Another "cancellation" in the works

<Gq_DK.109453$El2.84834@fx45.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=148989&group=rec.arts.tv#148989

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2022 19:05:03 -0400
 by: moviePig - Tue, 26 Jul 2022 23:05 UTC

On 7/26/2022 6:40 PM, Rhino wrote:
> On 2022-07-26 4:09 PM, A Friend wrote:
>> In article <QoXDK.543304$70j.253693@fx16.iad>, moviePig
>> <pwallace@moviepig.com> wrote:

>>> Notice the erudition level of the cited article:
>>>
>>>      "With the help of its deep infrared cameras, [the JWST] provided a
>>> glimpse at the beauty and vastness of the cosmos and *EVEN* provided
>>> valuable data for scientists to study." (emphasis emphasized)
>>>

> Apparently, it's cool - and not a bit racist - to diss journalists who
> don't have English as a first language; WION is a news network from India.

Oh, really? And where else in that article do you find evidence of such
pidgin semantics? I find only a single typo ('hails'). Does 'Indian'
elicit your condescending tolerance of immature reporting?

Re: [OT] Another "cancellation" in the works

<1705a52458dff226$1$994429$4ed50460@news.newsdemon.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=149049&group=rec.arts.tv#149049

Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2022 04:19:59 -0500
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
 by: trotsky - Wed, 27 Jul 2022 09:19 UTC

On 7/26/2022 6:05 PM, moviePig wrote:
> On 7/26/2022 6:40 PM, Rhino wrote:
>> On 2022-07-26 4:09 PM, A Friend wrote:

>> Apparently, it's cool - and not a bit racist - to diss journalists who
>> don't have English as a first language; WION is a news network from
>> India.
>
> Oh, really?  And where else in that article do you find evidence of such
> pidgin semantics?  I find only a single typo ('hails').  Does 'Indian'
> elicit your condescending tolerance of immature reporting?

It sounds like you're finding "Rhino" to be rather stupid too.

Re: [OT] Another "cancellation" in the works

<1705a54450dcf283$2$994429$4ed50460@news.newsdemon.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=149050&group=rec.arts.tv#149050

Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2022 04:22:25 -0500
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
 by: trotsky - Wed, 27 Jul 2022 09:22 UTC

On 7/26/2022 2:32 PM, A Friend wrote:
> In article <atropos-F11756.12041826072022@news.giganews.com>, BTR1701
> <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
>
>> In article <260720221451124194%nope@noway.com>,
>> A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:

>>> "Seems to be" being the operative words here. We also don't know who
>>> wrote this piece or who these unnamed "activists" might be.
>>>
>>> The space telescope will not be renamed. There is no chance of it
>>> happening.
>>
>> "Thomas Jefferson's statue will not be removed. There is no chance that
>> happening."
>

> Whatevs. This is a scare piece aimed at suckers.

Sounds like you've got Eunuch Derp pegged.

Re: [OT] Another "cancellation" in the works

<m0cEK.547074$70j.467171@fx16.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=149077&group=rec.arts.tv#149077

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2022 10:32:50 -0400
 by: moviePig - Wed, 27 Jul 2022 14:32 UTC

On 7/27/2022 5:19 AM, trotsky wrote:
> On 7/26/2022 6:05 PM, moviePig wrote:

>>> Apparently, it's cool - and not a bit racist - to diss journalists
>>> who don't have English as a first language; WION is a news network
>>> from India.
>>
>> Oh, really?  And where else in that article do you find evidence of
>> such pidgin semantics?  I find only a single typo ('hails').  Does
>> 'Indian' elicit your condescending tolerance of immature reporting?
>
> It sounds like you're finding "Rhino" to be rather stupid too.

Hey, it's not easy to pull a race card from left field's thin air...