Nice boy, but about as sharp as a sack of wet mice. -- Foghorn Leghorn

arts / rec.arts.tv / [OT] Smarter than the average bear

SubjectAuthor
* [OT] Smarter than the average bearRhino
+* Re: [OT] Smarter than the average bearDimensional Traveler
|+- Re: [OT] Smarter than the average bearThe Horny Goat
|`- Re: [OT] Smarter than the average bearBTR1701
`* Re: [OT] Smarter than the average bearBTR1701
 `- Re: [OT] Smarter than the average bearRhino

1
[OT] Smarter than the average bear

<tbpa8j$2450k$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=148919&group=rec.arts.tv#148919

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: [OT] Smarter than the average bear
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2022 14:02:58 -0400
 by: Rhino - Tue, 26 Jul 2022 18:02 UTC

Remember Yogi Bear's claim to being smarter than the average bear? I
think one of his "cousins" might be able to lay claim to being a very
smart bear indeed, maybe even smarter than the above-average human who
created the three-point anti-bear lock used to secure garbage from
wandering bears.

https://www.tricitynews.com/local-news/watch-port-coquitlam-bear-breaks-open-triple-locked-garbage-bin-in-viral-video-5612789?utm_source=newsshowcase&utm_medium=gnews&utm_campaign=CDAQspKB7LLcjvldGPu4z7HarML5rAEqKggAIhCxvN3igFxGTXMY5LiL6SWsKhQICiIQsbzd4oBcRk1zGOS4i-klrA&utm_content=rundown

And here's a direct link to the Tiktok video of the bear defeating the
lock in real time, which took less than a minute:

https://www.tiktok.com/@kindacutekindadangerous/video/7119570817834290437?is_copy_url=1&is_from_webapp=v1&utm_source=tri-city%20news&utm_campaign=tri-city%20news%3A%20outbound&utm_medium=referral

Designing a better lock for garbage containers might make a good project
for an engineering class....

--
Rhino

Re: [OT] Smarter than the average bear

<tbpiaf$261if$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=148958&group=rec.arts.tv#148958

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: [OT] Smarter than the average bear
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2022 13:20:33 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Tue, 26 Jul 2022 20:20 UTC

On 7/26/2022 11:02 AM, Rhino wrote:
> Remember Yogi Bear's claim to being smarter than the average bear? I
> think one of his "cousins" might be able to lay claim to being a very
> smart bear indeed, maybe even smarter than the above-average human who
> created the three-point anti-bear lock used to secure garbage from
> wandering bears.
>
> https://www.tricitynews.com/local-news/watch-port-coquitlam-bear-breaks-open-triple-locked-garbage-bin-in-viral-video-5612789?utm_source=newsshowcase&utm_medium=gnews&utm_campaign=CDAQspKB7LLcjvldGPu4z7HarML5rAEqKggAIhCxvN3igFxGTXMY5LiL6SWsKhQICiIQsbzd4oBcRk1zGOS4i-klrA&utm_content=rundown
>

> And here's a direct link to the Tiktok video of the bear defeating the
> lock in real time, which took less than a minute:
>
> https://www.tiktok.com/@kindacutekindadangerous/video/7119570817834290437?is_copy_url=1&is_from_webapp=v1&utm_source=tri-city%20news&utm_campaign=tri-city%20news%3A%20outbound&utm_medium=referral
>

> Designing a better lock for garbage containers might make a good project
> for an engineering class....

Step 1: make sure container is at least as strong as the lock....

dirty old man.

Re: [OT] Smarter than the average bear

<stq0ehd8psu4gi14tclbcuk0kbh8m5tmnr@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=148981&group=rec.arts.tv#148981

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2022 15:36:37 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Tue, 26 Jul 2022 22:36 UTC

On Tue, 26 Jul 2022 13:20:33 -0700, Dimensional Traveler
<dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>> And here's a direct link to the Tiktok video of the bear defeating the
>> lock in real time, which took less than a minute:
>>
>> https://www.tiktok.com/@kindacutekindadangerous/video/7119570817834290437?is_copy_url=1&is_from_webapp=v1&utm_source=tri-city%20news&utm_campaign=tri-city%20news%3A%20outbound&utm_medium=referral
>>

>> Designing a better lock for garbage containers might make a good project
>> for an engineering class....
>>
>Step 1: make sure container is at least as strong as the lock....

I dunno - all the 'bear proof containers' in our town are steel and at
an angle - not sure why the latter is important but the 'anti-bear'
lock requires you to push your fingers into the handle releasing a
latch - this handle is plenty thick for humans but thinner than a
bear's paw.

Mostly it gets filled by people dropping dog shit bags (which their
dogs "blessed" them with during "walkies"). No doubt my daughter will
be annoyed I haven't walked the dog today but 34C is a bit hot for
both me and Beau-dog

Re: [OT] Smarter than the average bear

<AuGdnd9Gr4HSNn3_nZ2dnUU7-R-dnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=149007&group=rec.arts.tv#149007

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2022 22:04:47 -0500
 by: BTR1701 - Wed, 27 Jul 2022 03:04 UTC

On Jul 26, 2022 at 11:02:58 AM PDT, "Rhino" <no_offline_contact@example.com>
wrote:

> Remember Yogi Bear's claim to being smarter than the average bear? I
> think one of his "cousins" might be able to lay claim to being a very
> smart bear indeed, maybe even smarter than the above-average human who
> created the three-point anti-bear lock used to secure garbage from
> wandering bears.
>

> https://www.tricitynews.com/local-news/watch-port-coquitlam-bear-breaks-open-triple-locked-garbage-bin-in-viral-video-5612789?utm_source=newsshowcase&utm_medium=gnews&utm_campaign=CDAQspKB7LLcjvldGPu4z7HarML5rAEqKggAIhCxvN3igFxGTXMY5LiL6SWsKhQICiIQsbzd4oBcRk1zGOS4i-klrA&utm_content=rundown
>
> And here's a direct link to the Tiktok video of the bear defeating the
> lock in real time, which took less than a minute:

The bears have weekly meetings about this stuff.

Re: [OT] Smarter than the average bear

<AuGdnd5Gr4GBMX3_nZ2dnUU7-R-dnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=149008&group=rec.arts.tv#149008

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2022 22:08:12 -0500
 by: BTR1701 - Wed, 27 Jul 2022 03:08 UTC

On Jul 26, 2022 at 1:20:33 PM PDT, "Dimensional Traveler" <dtravel@sonic.net>
wrote:

> On 7/26/2022 11:02 AM, Rhino wrote:
>> Remember Yogi Bear's claim to being smarter than the average bear? I
>> think one of his "cousins" might be able to lay claim to being a very
>> smart bear indeed, maybe even smarter than the above-average human who
>> created the three-point anti-bear lock used to secure garbage from
>> wandering bears.
>>

>> https://www.tricitynews.com/local-news/watch-port-coquitlam-bear-breaks-open-triple-locked-garbage-bin-in-viral-video-5612789?utm_source=newsshowcase&utm_medium=gnews&utm_campaign=CDAQspKB7LLcjvldGPu4z7HarML5rAEqKggAIhCxvN3igFxGTXMY5LiL6SWsKhQICiIQsbzd4oBcRk1zGOS4i-klrA&utm_content=rundown
>>

>> And here's a direct link to the Tiktok video of the bear defeating the
>> lock in real time, which took less than a minute:
>>

>> https://www.tiktok.com/@kindacutekindadangerous/video/7119570817834290437?is_copy_url=1&is_from_webapp=v1&utm_source=tri-city%20news&utm_campaign=tri-city%20news%3A%20outbound&utm_medium=referral
>>

>> Designing a better lock for garbage containers might make a good project
>> for an engineering class....
>>
> Step 1: make sure container is at least as strong as the lock....

The article tells people to keep their garbage bins locked in their garage
until collection day. Wouldn't that just result in a destroyed garage door in
addition to the broken bin?

Re: [OT] Smarter than the average bear

<tbqcdb$2e6nf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=149015&group=rec.arts.tv#149015

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2022 23:45:45 -0400
 by: Rhino - Wed, 27 Jul 2022 03:45 UTC

On 2022-07-26 11:04 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> On Jul 26, 2022 at 11:02:58 AM PDT, "Rhino" <no_offline_contact@example.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Remember Yogi Bear's claim to being smarter than the average bear? I
>> think one of his "cousins" might be able to lay claim to being a very
>> smart bear indeed, maybe even smarter than the above-average human who
>> created the three-point anti-bear lock used to secure garbage from
>> wandering bears.
>>

>> https://www.tricitynews.com/local-news/watch-port-coquitlam-bear-breaks-open-triple-locked-garbage-bin-in-viral-video-5612789?utm_source=newsshowcase&utm_medium=gnews&utm_campaign=CDAQspKB7LLcjvldGPu4z7HarML5rAEqKggAIhCxvN3igFxGTXMY5LiL6SWsKhQICiIQsbzd4oBcRk1zGOS4i-klrA&utm_content=rundown
>>
>> And here's a direct link to the Tiktok video of the bear defeating the
>> lock in real time, which took less than a minute:
>
> The bears have weekly meetings about this stuff.

It's not just bears that are smart.

Some years ago, I took a job that made it impossible to feed my two cats
one of their two meals at their normal time. The job came along suddenly
and I had only a weekend to prepare so I did some research at the local
Pet Smart and found a timed-release cat feeder with twin bowls. Each
bowl had a hinged lid on it and a clockwork timer that you could set to
control when the lid would open. This seemed like it might work so I
bought it on the Friday before the new job started. On the Saturday, I
decided to try it so that I could see how well it worked. The normal
feeding times were 8 AM and 8 PM so at 4 PM, which was when I knew I'd
be going to work, I put food in each bowl, closed the lids, and set the
timer for 8 PM, then put the bowls down on the floor. Instead of leaving
though, I just settled in to see what they would do.

As usual, Bebop, the male, took charge. He could obviously smell food
and even though it was hours earlier than usual, he wanted it. He poked
and prodded at the lid and did everything he could think of to open the
lid. He pushed the bowls around on the floor. He flipped the bowls on
their edge. (The two bowls were bonded together.) Doing that knocked the
battery out which would cause the lids to release but that turned out to
be irrelevant. After about 15 minutes of trying everything he could at
his most frantic pace, he realized that he could get his claw between
the lid and the bowl just enough to pull the bowl forward and get to the
food. He promptly ate almost all of the food in BOTH bowls and the other
cat got nothing (or perhaps a few tiny scraps). Clearly, this was NOT
satisfactory.

I mulled it over and decided that I could solve the problem of flipping
the bowls over and having the batteries fall out quite easily by
mounting the bowls to a small but heavy printer cart I wasn't using so
that's what I did. On the Sunday, also at 4 PM, I set up the food again,
locked the lids, set the timers and watched to see what would happen.
This time there was no massive struggle trying to get the bowls open:
Bebop remembered what had worked the day before and simply did the same
thing - successfully - and didn't even bother to try to tip the bowls
over. Once again, Samba got nothing.

I ended up taking the timed-release bowls back and getting a refund; the
company that made it claimed they'd never heard of a cat successfully
opening them like that.

I ended up giving them each a half meal just before I left for work and
another half meal when I got home from work and that worked out just fine.

Bebop was one smart cat!

--
Rhino