From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: California is Despised Everywhere...
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2022 21:01:44 +0000
 by: BTR1701 - Thu, 28 Jul 2022 21:01 UTC

I was amused by the 'progressive' San Francisco woman who basically said,
"Yes, gentrification is bad when whites do it to us, but I'm black so those
rules don't apply to me."

-----------------------------
https://news.yahoo.com/mexico-city-residents-angered-influx-141741417.html

An influx of Californians and other Americans has made its way to Mexico City,
angering some locals who say they are gentrifying the area, according to a
report.

The Los Angeles Times report on Wednesday outlined how some Mexican locals are
"fed up" with the growing number of Americans, many from California, moving to
and visiting the country, which has contributed to a rise in rent and a shift
from Spanish to English in some places.

"New to the city? Working remotely?" fliers popping up around Mexico City
reportedly said. "You're a fucking plague and the locals fucking hate you.
Leave."

The article outlines how Americans have brought a scent of "new-wave"
imperialism as taquerias and corner stores have slowly transformed into coffee
shops and Pilates studios. English is also reportedly becoming more prevalent
as more Americans are moving to and visiting Mexico City to take advantage of
lower rent and the ability to stay in Mexico for six months without a visa.

"We’re the only brown people," Fernando Bustos Gorozpe, a 38-year-old writer
and university professor, told the Los Angeles Times. "We're the only people
speaking Spanish except the waiters."

Bustos later posted a video on TikTok saying that the influx of Americans
"stinks of modern colonialism" and nearly 2,000 people responded in agreement.
"Mexico is classist and racist," Bustos added. "People with white skin are
given preference. Now, if a local wants to go to a restaurant or a club, they
don't just have to compete with rich, white Mexicans but with foreigners
too."

The article also pointed to a social media post online where a young American
said, "Do yourself a favor and remote work in Mexico City-- is truly magical."
The tweet received many negative responses.

"Please don't," one of the replies said. "This city is becoming more and more
expensive every day in part because of people like you, and you don't even
realize or care about it."

While the Los Angeles Times report insisted that the "vast majority" of Mexico
City locals are "unwaveringly kind" to visitors, there remains a "friction
beneath the surface" of what gentrification means to the area.

"There's a distinction between people who want to learn about the place they
are in and those who just like it because it's cheap," said 31-year-old Hugo
Van der Merwe, a man who grew up in Florida and Namibia who has been working
remotely in Mexico City. "I've met a number of people who don't really care
that they're in Mexico. They just care that it's cheap."

The State Department reports that there are 1.6 million Americans living in
Mexico, many of them coming during the coronavirus pandemic when Mexico eased
restrictions sooner than many places in the U.S., but it remains unknown how
many of those Americans are in Mexico City.

The Los Angeles Times says that in the first four months of this year, 1.2
million foreign visitors arrived at Mexico City's airport.

"We're just seeing Americans flooding in," Alexandra Demou, who runs the
relocation company Welcome Home Mexico, said. "It's people who maybe have
their own business, or maybe they're thinking of starting some consulting or
freelance work. They don't even know how long they're going to stay. They're
completely picking up their entire lives and just moving down here." Demou
added that she receives 50 calls a week from people thinking about moving to
Mexico City.

Lauren Rodwell, who moved to Mexico City from San Francisco's Mission
neighborhood, says she is sensitive to the gentrification issue but doesn't
feel guilty as a black woman. "I kind of feel like, as a person of color from
America, I'm so economically disadvantaged that wherever I go and experience
some advantage or equity, I take it," Rodwell said, adding that "being black
in America" is exhausting and "it's nice to take a break from it."

The Los Angeles Times reported a similar situation in Portugal earlier this
year in a story titled "Welcome to Portugal, the new expat haven.
Californians, please go home." In the article, the outlet reported that the
number of Americans living in Portugal has risen by 45% in the past year and
many residents have been frustrated by rising housing costs associated with
that.

Re: California is Despised Everywhere...

<tbv4kl$39jjs$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=149355&group=rec.arts.tv#149355

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: California is Despised Everywhere...
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2022 19:03:47 -0400
 by: Rhino - Thu, 28 Jul 2022 23:03 UTC

On 2022-07-28 5:01 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> [...]
> Mexico City.
>
> Lauren Rodwell, who moved to Mexico City from San Francisco's Mission
> neighborhood, says she is sensitive to the gentrification issue but doesn't
> feel guilty as a black woman. "I kind of feel like, as a person of color from
> America, I'm so economically disadvantaged that wherever I go and experience
> some advantage or equity, I take it," Rodwell said, adding that "being black
> in America" is exhausting and "it's nice to take a break from it."
>
> The Los Angeles Times reported a similar situation in Portugal earlier this
> year in a story titled "Welcome to Portugal, the new expat haven.
> Californians, please go home." In the article, the outlet reported that the
> number of Americans living in Portugal has risen by 45% in the past year and
> many residents have been frustrated by rising housing costs associated with

I don't think this is a specifically anti-Californian or anti-American
thing. I think EVERY area tends to feel resentful of newcomers who make
things more expensive for them. One of the YouTube channels I watch,
NFKRZ, is hosted by a Russian named Roman who fled Russia because of his
opposition to Putin's attack on Ukraine. He's in Georgia (the one in
Europe) because it's one of the few places he can go as a Russian
without needing a visa. He is far from the only Russia to move to
Georgia. He loves it there and says he's seen some hostility from
Georgians because rents have gone up significantly due to the influx of
Russians to Georgia. But he says most of them are cool with him as a
person and don't give him much grief.

--
Rhino

Re: California is Despised Everywhere...

<xHSdnQ3aD6mMSH7_nZ2dnZfqn_WdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=149429&group=rec.arts.tv#149429

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2022 08:39:58 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Fri, 29 Jul 2022 12:39 UTC

atropos@mac.com wrote:

> [...]
>Mexico City.
>
>Lauren Rodwell, who moved to Mexico City from San Francisco's Mission
>neighborhood, says she is sensitive to the gentrification issue but doesn't
>feel guilty as a black woman. "I kind of feel like, as a person of color from
>America, I'm so economically disadvantaged that wherever I go and experience
>some advantage or equity, I take it," Rodwell said, adding that "being black
>in America" is exhausting and "it's nice to take a break from it."
>
>The Los Angeles Times reported a similar situation in Portugal earlier this
>year in a story titled "Welcome to Portugal, the new expat haven.
>Californians, please go home." In the article, the outlet reported that the
>number of Americans living in Portugal has risen by 45% in the past year and
>many residents have been frustrated by rising housing costs associated with

I guess they don't like getting a taste of their own medicine, eh?

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: California is Despised Everywhere...

<17069a084aa34030$2$450470$4cd50660@news.newsdemon.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=149595&group=rec.arts.tv#149595

Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2022 06:39:34 -0500
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
 by: trotsky - Sat, 30 Jul 2022 11:39 UTC

On 7/29/2022 6:31 PM, RichA wrote:
> On Thursday, 28 July 2022 at 17:02:44 UTC-4, BTR1701 wrote:
>> I was amused by the 'progressive' San Francisco woman who basically said,
>> "Yes, gentrification is bad when whites do it to us, but I'm black so those
>> rules don't apply to me."

>> https://news.yahoo.com/mexico-city-residents-angered-influx-141741417.html
>>
>> An influx of Californians and other Americans has made its way to Mexico City,
>> angering some locals who say they are gentrifying the area, according to a
>> report.
>>

> Mexicans are bad enough.

In what way, their food is too popular?

Your funny, but dicklessness isn't everything.