You are destined to become the commandant of the fighting men of the department of transportation.

arts / alt.arts.poetry.comments / Re: PPB: May / Christina Rossetti

SubjectAuthor
* Re: PPB: May / Christina RossettiGeorge J. Dance
+* Re: PPB: May / Christina RossettiMichael Pendragon
|`* Re: PPB: May / Christina RossettiGeorge J. Dance
| +- Re: PPB: May / Christina RossettiW-Dockery
| `* Re: PPB: May / Christina RossettiMichael Pendragon
|  `* Re: PPB: May / Christina RossettiGeorge J. Dance
|   +- Re: PPB: May / Christina RossettiWill Dockery
|   `* Re: PPB: May / Christina RossettiMichael Pendragon
|    +- Re: PPB: May / Christina RossettiEdward Rochester Esq.
|    `- Re: PPB: May / Christina RossettiW-Dockery
+* Re: PPB: May / Christina RossettiGeneral-Zod
|`- Re: PPB: May / Christina RossettiWill Dockery
+- Re: PPB: May / Christina RossettiW-Dockery
`* Re: PPB: May / Christina RossettiVictor H.
 `* Re: PPB: May / Christina RossettiWill Dockery
  `* Re: PPB: May / Christina RossettiGeneral-Zod
   `- Re: PPB: May / Christina RossettiWill Dockery

1
Re: PPB: May / Christina Rossetti

<t75mi0$18e$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=149665&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#149665

From: georgeda...@yahoo.ca (George J. Dance)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Subject: Re: PPB: May / Christina Rossetti
Date: Tue, 31 May 2022 14:25:03 -0400
 by: George J. Dance - Tue, 31 May 2022 18:25 UTC

(piggy-backing, since the original's no longer on my usenet feed.
> NancyGene <nancygene.andjayme@gmail.com> wrote in

>>> Hear that, NG? Remember your review of "The Handmaid's Tale," in
>>> which you completely failed to pick up on the literary reference in
>>> the title?
>> Just because we didn't mention it doesn't mean that we didn't
>> recognize it. We cannot cover everything in our reviews. The Virgin
>> Mary was a handmaid to God, and Rachel, Bilhah, and Jacob fooled
>> around in Genesis.
>>
>> George Dance, why didn't you (or Jordy's Uncle) mention the origin of
>> the title?

(1) neither of us were writing a "review".
(2) As you'd know if you've read the thread, I disagree with Michael: I
don't think knowing the reference of a title is necessary to understand
a novel or a poem. (It might add 'depth' of understanding, but it isn't
crucial for understanding the work at all).

>> From now on, all references to titles of songs, books,
>> poems, etc., must analyze from whence the title came.

Or you can disagree with Michael, too. Take your pick.

>>> Now you know what that means.
>> We always knew what it meant.

Well, now that you understand its implications, you have to decide
whether you agree with it or not. Have fun deciding.

> Do you have any evidence that can be backed up by a Mensa member?
> Otherwise it will be completely discredited as plagiarism, cut and paste
> or some other lame fucking excuse by the Columbus Pissbum Collective who
> must think it's important enough to spam a newsgroup over it. (TINCPC).

Re: PPB: May / Christina Rossetti

<205616c5-8dd8-4fec-b47d-a149639aab01n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=149670&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#149670

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Tue, 31 May 2022 11:58:41 -0700 (PDT)
From: michaelm...@gmail.com (Michael Pendragon)
 by: Michael Pendragon - Tue, 31 May 2022 18:58 UTC

On Tuesday, May 31, 2022 at 2:25:06 PM UTC-4, george...@yahoo.ca wrote:
> (piggy-backing, since the original's no longer on my usenet feed.
> > NancyGene <nancygene...@gmail.com> wrote in

> >> Just because we didn't mention it doesn't mean that we didn't
> >> recognize it. We cannot cover everything in our reviews. The Virgin
> >> Mary was a handmaid to God, and Rachel, Bilhah, and Jacob fooled
> >> around in Genesis.
> >>
> >> George Dance, why didn't you (or Jordy's Uncle) mention the origin of
> >> the title?
> (1) neither of us were writing a "review".

There are different degrees of reviewing, George, and they're frequently determined by the forum for which they were written.

But you're nit-picking just to be annoying (i.e., to troll NancyGene into calling you a dunce, so that you'll have another reason for "titting" after her "tat").

> (2) As you'd know if you've read the thread, I disagree with Michael: I
> don't think knowing the reference of a title is necessary to understand
> a novel or a poem. (It might add 'depth' of understanding, but it isn't
> crucial for understanding the work at all).

I never said any such thing, George.

Please don't misquote me in your conveniently "piggybacked" posts.

> >> From now on, all references to titles of songs, books,
> >> poems, etc., must analyze from whence the title came.

Since my unpiggybacked statement is not here for me to reference, I can only assume that you are referring to my statement that lines from famous poems are often referenced in the titles of books.

I believe I would have said that if one fails to recognize the allusions in works like "Of Mice and Men," "East of Eden," "The Sound and the Fury," and "For Whom the Bell Tolls," one is not going to be able to appreciate the work on a literary level commensurate to that of a literate reader.

Are you really as incapable of comprehending college level English as Will Donkey, or are you intentionally misquoting me as a troll tactic?

> Or you can disagree with Michael, too. Take your pick.

> >> We always knew what it meant.
> >
> Well, now that you understand its implications, you have to decide
> whether you agree with it or not. Have fun deciding.

Gee, will NancyGene disagree with a made up statement that you've falsely attributed to me... or will she submit to accepting the dunsical alternative?

I'm biting my nails down in suspense!

> > Do you have any evidence that can be backed up by a Mensa member?
> > Otherwise it will be completely discredited as plagiarism, cut and paste
> > or some other lame fucking excuse by the Columbus Pissbum Collective who
> > must think it's important enough to spam a newsgroup over it. (TINCPC).

Re: PPB: May / Christina Rossetti

<d3989822a9a836500fe7eeadab765d8d@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=149679&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#149679

Date: Tue, 31 May 2022 19:10:50 +0000
From: tzod9...@gmail.com (General-Zod)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
References: <t516r5$2nk$1@dont-email.me> <fc14ad86-037e-4d06-b748-ab3c3fd2d360n@googlegroups.com> <46cb941e-afe6-412d-829f-faa2c5d7fa6an@googlegroups.com> <a060318a-48f0-48b7-8f06-7c23975469d6n@googlegroups.com> <t63m6k$86g$2@dont-email.me> <749ebbd1-84eb-46de-a45a-25110091301cn@googlegroups.com> <t69p8n$5bp$1@dont-email.me> <bc117ec3-886d-48d8-8472-b5e47a8ba118n@googlegroups.com> <XnsAE9E8F4E33F11PantyheadPoorHouse@144.76.35.252> <t75mi0$18e$1@dont-email.me>
 by: General-Zod - Tue, 31 May 2022 19:10 UTC

George J. Dance wrote:

> (piggy-backing, since the original's no longer on my usenet feed.
>> NancyGene <nancygene.andjayme@gmail.com> wrote in

>>> Just because we didn't mention it doesn't mean that we didn't
>>> recognize it. We cannot cover everything in our reviews. The Virgin
>>> Mary was a handmaid to God, and Rachel, Bilhah, and Jacob fooled
>>> around in Genesis.
>>>
>>> George Dance, why didn't you (or Jordy's Uncle) mention the origin of
>>> the title?

> (1) neither of us were writing a "review".
> (2) As you'd know if you've read the thread, I disagree with Michael: I
> don't think knowing the reference of a title is necessary to understand
> a novel or a poem. (It might add 'depth' of understanding, but it isn't
> crucial for understanding the work at all).

>>> From now on, all references to titles of songs, books,
>>> poems, etc., must analyze from whence the title came.
>>

> Or you can disagree with Michael, too. Take your pick.

>>> We always knew what it meant.
>>

> Well, now that you understand its implications, you have to decide
> whether you agree with it or not. Have fun deciding.

Thou hast nailed it once more... G.D...!

Re: PPB: May / Christina Rossetti

<t75qca$e34$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=149690&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#149690

From: georgeda...@yahoo.ca (George J. Dance)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Tue, 31 May 2022 15:30:17 -0400
<205616c5-8dd8-4fec-b47d-a149639aab01n@googlegroups.com>
 by: George J. Dance - Tue, 31 May 2022 19:30 UTC

On 2022-05-31 2:58 p.m., Michael Pendragon wrote:
> On Tuesday, May 31, 2022 at 2:25:06 PM UTC-4, george...@yahoo.ca wrote:
>> (piggy-backing, since the original's no longer on my usenet feed.
>>> NancyGene <nancygene...@gmail.com> wrote in

>> (1) neither of us were writing a "review".
>
> There are different degrees of reviewing, George, and they're frequently determined by the forum for which they were written.
>
> But you're nit-picking just to be annoying (i.e., to troll NancyGene into calling you a dunce, so that you'll have another reason for "titting" after her "tat").

I think you're already 'titting' on their behalf. My point was, I was
merely commenting on the book: why should I have to give the "literary
reference"?

>> (2) As you'd know if you've read the thread, I disagree with Michael: I
>> don't think knowing the reference of a title is necessary to understand
>> a novel or a poem. (It might add 'depth' of understanding, but it isn't
>> crucial for understanding the work at all).
>
> I never said any such thing, George.
>
> Please don't misquote me

I wouldn't dream of it. Here's what you claimed:

"When you fail to pick up on literary references in the title of a book,
one wonders if you understand the book at all."

> in your conveniently "piggybacked" posts.

And don't whinge about "piggybacking". That sounds like "whataboutism"
(as it's clearly irrelevant to the discussion).

> Since my unpiggybacked statement is not here for me to reference, I can only assume that you are referring to my statement that lines from famous poems are often referenced in the titles of books.
>
> I believe I would have said that if one fails to recognize the allusions in works like "Of Mice and Men," "East of Eden," "The Sound and the Fury," and "For Whom the Bell Tolls," one is not going to be able to appreciate the work on a literary level commensurate to that of a literate reader.

Perhaps that's what you meant; and I'm glad to see you walk your
original statement back to a more reasonable claim.

But I still disagree with it. Just how does knowing the title of "The
Handmaid's Tale" was a reference to "The Canterbury Tales" increase
one's understanding of the book? Not a damn bit, as far as I can see.

If you want to argue for it, pick one of your four and explain why you
think the title reference makes the book more 'appreciable'.

> Are you really as incapable of comprehending college level English as Will Donkey, or are you intentionally misquoting me as a troll tactic?

Once again, here is what you originally wrote: "When you fail to pick up
on literary references in the title of a book, one wonders if you
understand the book at all." No misquote.

>> Or you can disagree with Michael, too. Take your pick.

>> Well, now that you understand its implications, you have to decide
>> whether you agree with it or not. Have fun deciding.
>
> Gee, will NancyGene disagree with a made up statement that you've falsely attributed to me... or will she submit to accepting the dunsical alternative?

Once again, here is your original statement: "When you fail to pick up
on literary references in the title of a book, one wonders if you
understand the book at all."

It's nice that you've walked it back, but it's rather stupid of you to
keep denying you wrote it (since it's right there in the archives).

> I'm biting my nails down in suspense!
>
>>> Do you have any evidence that can be backed up by a Mensa member?
>>> Otherwise it will be completely discredited as plagiarism, cut and paste
>>> or some other lame fucking excuse by the Columbus Pissbum Collective who
>>> must think it's important enough to spam a newsgroup over it. (TINCPC).

Re: PPB: May / Christina Rossetti

<cfeed7b861f26a7801c512c28ca99b03@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=149723&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#149723

Date: Tue, 31 May 2022 20:37:17 +0000
From: parnello...@gmail.com (W-Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
References: <t516r5$2nk$1@dont-email.me> <fc14ad86-037e-4d06-b748-ab3c3fd2d360n@googlegroups.com> <46cb941e-afe6-412d-829f-faa2c5d7fa6an@googlegroups.com> <a060318a-48f0-48b7-8f06-7c23975469d6n@googlegroups.com> <t63m6k$86g$2@dont-email.me> <749ebbd1-84eb-46de-a45a-25110091301cn@googlegroups.com> <t69p8n$5bp$1@dont-email.me> <bc117ec3-886d-48d8-8472-b5e47a8ba118n@googlegroups.com> <XnsAE9E8F4E33F11PantyheadPoorHouse@144.76.35.252> <t75mi0$18e$1@dont-email.me> <205616c5-8dd8-4fec-b47d-a149639aab01n@googlegroups.com> <t75qca$e34$1@dont-email.me>
 by: W-Dockery - Tue, 31 May 2022 20:37 UTC

George J. Dance wrote:

> [...]

> Once again, here is what you originally wrote: "When you fail to pick up
> on literary references in the title of a book, one wonders if you
> understand the book at all." No misquote.

>>> Or you can disagree with Michael, too. Take your pick.

>>> Well, now that you understand its implications, you have to decide
>>> whether you agree with it or not. Have fun deciding.
>>
>> Gee, will NancyGene disagree with a made up statement that you've falsely attributed to me... or will she submit to accepting the dunsical alternative?

> Once again, here is your original statement: "When you fail to pick up
> on literary references in the title of a book, one wonders if you
> understand the book at all."

> It's nice that you've walked it back, but it's rather stupid of you to
> keep denying you wrote it (since it's right there in the archives).

Pendragon slings so much of his monkey shit that he sometimes loses track of it all.

:)

Re: PPB: May / Christina Rossetti

<f9499fce-120f-4aa9-a190-acf5001e1735n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=149770&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#149770

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Tue, 31 May 2022 16:52:51 -0700 (PDT)
From: michaelm...@gmail.com (Michael Pendragon)
 by: Michael Pendragon - Tue, 31 May 2022 23:52 UTC

On Tuesday, May 31, 2022 at 3:30:20 PM UTC-4, george...@yahoo.ca wrote:
> On 2022-05-31 2:58 p.m., Michael Pendragon wrote:
> > On Tuesday, May 31, 2022 at 2:25:06 PM UTC-4, george...@yahoo.ca wrote:
> >> (piggy-backing, since the original's no longer on my usenet feed.

> >> (1) neither of us were writing a "review".
> >
> > There are different degrees of reviewing, George, and they're frequently determined by the forum for which they were written.
> >
> > But you're nit-picking just to be annoying (i.e., to troll NancyGene into calling you a dunce, so that you'll have another reason for "titting" after her "tat").
> I think you're already 'titting' on their behalf. My point was, I was
> merely commenting on the book: why should I have to give the "literary
> reference"?

Okay. I understand what you were saying now. You need to be careful (especially in arguments) with statements that can be interpreted more than one way.

> >> (2) As you'd know if you've read the thread, I disagree with Michael: I
> >> don't think knowing the reference of a title is necessary to understand
> >> a novel or a poem. (It might add 'depth' of understanding, but it isn't
> >> crucial for understanding the work at all).
> >
> > I never said any such thing, George.
> >
> > Please don't misquote me
> I wouldn't dream of it. Here's what you claimed:
> "When you fail to pick up on literary references in the title of a book,
> one wonders if you understand the book at all."

Yes. I most certainly said that.

I didn't say that it was *necessary* to understand the book. I said that if you're too illiterate to pick up on the reference, one doubt that you possess the knowledge and/or intelligence to understand a complex novel.

> > in your conveniently "piggybacked" posts.
> And don't whinge about "piggybacking". That sounds like "whataboutism"

I'm saying that it's convenient to misquote me (which you did) in a "piggybacked" thread wherein the original statement no longer appears and isn't linked.

> (as it's clearly irrelevant to the discussion).
> >
> > Since my unpiggybacked statement is not here for me to reference, I can only assume that you are referring to my statement that lines from famous poems are often referenced in the titles of books.
> >
> > I believe I would have said that if one fails to recognize the allusions in works like "Of Mice and Men," "East of Eden," "The Sound and the Fury," and "For Whom the Bell Tolls," one is not going to be able to appreciate the work on a literary level commensurate to that of a literate reader.
> Perhaps that's what you meant; and I'm glad to see you walk your
> original statement back to a more reasonable claim.

That's precisely what I said, albeit without the implied insult.

> But I still disagree with it. Just how does knowing the title of "The
> Handmaid's Tale" was a reference to "The Canterbury Tales" increase
> one's understanding of the book? Not a damn bit, as far as I can see.

I haven't read "The Handmaid's Tale," and cannot comment. Had I read it, I might be able to open your eyes up to a whole new level of understanding.

> If you want to argue for it, pick one of your four and explain why you
> think the title reference makes the book more 'appreciable'.

"East of Eden" obviously alerts the reader to the Biblical parallelism of the plot -- which is a modern reworking of the Adam-Eve-Cain-Abel myth after the Fall.

> > Are you really as incapable of comprehending college level English as Will Donkey, or are you intentionally misquoting me as a troll tactic?
> Once again, here is what you originally wrote: "When you fail to pick up
> on literary references in the title of a book, one wonders if you
> understand the book at all." No misquote.

If one fails to pick up the titular reference, one would most likely fail to pick up on the parallelism as well.

> >> Or you can disagree with Michael, too. Take your pick.

> >> Well, now that you understand its implications, you have to decide
> >> whether you agree with it or not. Have fun deciding.
> >
> > Gee, will NancyGene disagree with a made up statement that you've falsely attributed to me... or will she submit to accepting the dunsical alternative?
> Once again, here is your original statement: "When you fail to pick up
> on literary references in the title of a book, one wonders if you
> understand the book at all."
> It's nice that you've walked it back, but it's rather stupid of you to
> keep denying you wrote it (since it's right there in the archives).

I'm neither walking it back, nor denying it, George.

Because you'd conveniently piggybacked it, I had to attempt to reconstruct it from memory.

The basic message is still the same... I simply forgot about the implied barb attached to the end of it.

> > I'm biting my nails down in suspense!

Re: PPB: May / Christina Rossetti

<01594933-6bba-4bfe-b323-0f01136fda0bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=149775&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#149775

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Tue, 31 May 2022 16:57:36 -0700 (PDT)
From: opb...@yahoo.com (Will Dockery)
 by: Will Dockery - Tue, 31 May 2022 23:57 UTC

On Tuesday, May 31, 2022 at 3:15:13 PM UTC-4, Zod wrote:
> George J. Dance wrote:
>
> > (piggy-backing, since the original's no longer on my usenet feed.
> >> NancyGene <nancygene...@gmail.com> wrote in

> > (1) neither of us were writing a "review".
> > (2) As you'd know if you've read the thread, I disagree with Michael: I
> > don't think knowing the reference of a title is necessary to understand
> > a novel or a poem. (It might add 'depth' of understanding, but it isn't
> > crucial for understanding the work at all).

> > Or you can disagree with Michael, too. Take your pick.

> > Well, now that you understand its implications, you have to decide
> > whether you agree with it or not. Have fun deciding.
> Thou hast nailed it once more... G.D...!

That he did.

🙂

Re: PPB: May / Christina Rossetti

<t79jtu$gpa$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=150199&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#150199

From: georgeda...@yahoo.ca (George J. Dance)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2022 02:04:46 -0400
<205616c5-8dd8-4fec-b47d-a149639aab01n@googlegroups.com>
<t75qca$e34$1@dont-email.me>
<f9499fce-120f-4aa9-a190-acf5001e1735n@googlegroups.com>
 by: George J. Dance - Thu, 2 Jun 2022 06:04 UTC

On 2022-05-31 7:52 p.m., Michael Pendragon wrote:
> [...]
>> on literary references in the title of a book, one wonders if you
>> understand the book at all." No misquote.
>
> If one fails to pick up the titular reference, one would most likely fail to pick up on the parallelism as well.

>>> Gee, will NancyGene disagree with a made up statement that you've falsely attributed to me... or will she submit to accepting the dunsical alternative?
>> Once again, here is your original statement: "When you fail to pick up
>> on literary references in the title of a book, one wonders if you
>> understand the book at all."
>> It's nice that you've walked it back, but it's rather stupid of you to
>> keep denying you wrote it (since it's right there in the archives).
>
> I'm neither walking it back, nor denying it, George >
> Because you'd conveniently piggybacked it, I had to attempt to reconstruct it from memory.

Your statement, word for word, is still backthread. (See above.) The
fact you didn't, before you started speewing bullshit about a "made up
statement that you've falsely attributed to me."

> The basic message is still the same... I simply forgot about the implied barb attached to the end of it.

Oh, you "forgot" what you wrote. Maybe you should have looked, before
trying to pretend you didn't write it. It doesn't help you here, but
maybe next time ...

Re: PPB: May / Christina Rossetti

<c3d8e4f1-264b-4472-a20e-86ba0bc0857bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=150206&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#150206

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2022 23:28:38 -0700 (PDT)
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (Will Dockery)
 by: Will Dockery - Thu, 2 Jun 2022 06:28 UTC

On Thursday, June 2, 2022 at 2:04:49 AM UTC-4, george...@yahoo.ca wrote:
> On 2022-05-31 7:52 p.m., Michael Pendragon wrote:

> >> I think you're already 'titting' on their behalf. My point was, I was
> >> merely commenting on the book: why should I have to give the "literary
> >> reference"?
> >
> > Okay. I understand what you were saying now. You need to be careful (especially in arguments) with statements that can be interpreted more than one way.

> >> I wouldn't dream of it. Here's what you claimed:
> >> "When you fail to pick up on literary references in the title of a book,
> >> one wonders if you understand the book at all."
> >
> > Yes. I most certainly said that.
> >
> > I didn't say that it was *necessary* to understand the book. I said that if you're too illiterate to pick up on the reference, one doubt that you possess the knowledge and/or intelligence to understand a complex novel.

> >> And don't whinge about "piggybacking". That sounds like "whataboutism"
> >
> > I'm saying that it's convenient to misquote me (which you did) in a "piggybacked" thread wherein the original statement no longer appears and isn't linked.
> >
> >> (as it's clearly irrelevant to the discussion).

> >> Perhaps that's what you meant; and I'm glad to see you walk your
> >> original statement back to a more reasonable claim.
> >
> > That's precisely what I said, albeit without the implied insult.
> >
> >> But I still disagree with it. Just how does knowing the title of "The
> >> Handmaid's Tale" was a reference
Pend to "The Canterbury Tales" increase
> >> one's understanding of the book? Not a damn bit, as far as I can see.
> >
> > I haven't read "The Handmaid's Tale," and cannot comment. Had I read it, I might be able to open your eyes up to a whole new level of understanding.
> >
> >> If you want to argue for it, pick one of your four and explain why you
> >> think the title reference makes the book more 'appreciable'.
> >
> > "East of Eden" obviously alerts the reader to the Biblical parallelism of the plot -- which is a modern reworking of the Adam-Eve-Cain-Abel myth after the Fall.

> >> Once again, here is what you originally wrote: "When you fail to pick up
> >> on literary references in the title of a book, one wonders if you
> >> understand the book at all." No misquote.
> >
> > If one fails to pick up the titular reference, one would most likely fail to pick up on the parallelism as well.

> >> Once again, here is your original statement: "When you fail to pick up
> >> on literary references in the title of a book, one wonders if you
> >> understand the book at all."
> >> It's nice that you've walked it back, but it's rather stupid of you to
> >> keep denying you wrote it (since it's right there in the archives).
> >
> > I'm neither walking it back, nor denying it, George >
> > Because you'd conveniently piggybacked it, I had to attempt to reconstruct it from memory.
> Your statement, word for word, is still backthread. (See above.) The
> fact you didn't, before you started speewing bullshit about a "made up
> statement that you've falsely attributed to me."
> > The basic message is still the same... I simply forgot about the implied barb attached to the end of it.
> Oh, you "forgot" what you wrote. Maybe you should have looked, before
> trying to pretend you didn't write it. It doesn't help you here, but
> maybe next time ...

Pendragon has been forgetting a lot these days.

Re: PPB: May / Christina Rossetti

<4ecedbf7-54cd-443a-b260-cc6389eae36en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=150263&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#150263

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2022 06:38:32 -0700 (PDT)
From: michaelm...@gmail.com (Michael Pendragon)
 by: Michael Pendragon - Thu, 2 Jun 2022 13:38 UTC

> [...]
> >> on literary references in the title of a book, one wonders if you
> >> understand the book at all."
> >> It's nice that you've walked it back, but it's rather stupid of you to
> >> keep denying you wrote it (since it's right there in the archives).
> >
> > I'm neither walking it back, nor denying it, George >
> > Because you'd conveniently piggybacked it, I had to attempt to reconstruct it from memory.
> Your statement, word for word, is still backthread. (See above.) The
> fact you didn't, before you started speewing bullshit about a "made up
> statement that you've falsely attributed to me."
> > The basic message is still the same... I simply forgot about the implied barb attached to the end of it.
> Oh, you "forgot" what you wrote. Maybe you should have looked, before
> trying to pretend you didn't write it. It doesn't help you here, but

No bullshit has been spewed, George. As I said, the basic message remained the same in both my original sentence and my reconstruction from memory.

Your paraphrase of my statement was simply incorrect. I did not say that knowing the titular reference was *necessary* to understand the book. I said that if one failed to recognize the reference, one would most likely fail to pick up on the related symbolism/parallelism in the text.

That's a big difference, IMHO.

You then presented your misrepresentation to NancyGene as part of an either-or choice, in which she would be forced to either agree with you or to reject my (altered) statement as incorrect.

That's a debating team trick that NancyGene would not have fallen for, but one that needs to be addressed as it leads me to question your honesty in all of your exchanges with others here.

It's also part of a pattern that I've noticed has been repeated numerous times, both in our discussions, and in your discussions with others. You basically misstate something that one of us has said, capturing the general sense of our statement, but tweaking it just enough to make it insupportable in an argument (like, to take one recent example, turning it into an absolute).

Click here to read the complete article
Re: PPB: May / Christina Rossetti

<d090b217-0a23-4c31-a4dd-32fccf940f50n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=150265&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#150265

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2022 06:46:32 -0700 (PDT)
From: blackpoo...@aol.com (Edward Rochester Esq.)
 by: Edward Rochester Esq - Thu, 2 Jun 2022 13:46 UTC

<8b617557366cf9f13844dada85beaebd@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=150270&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#150270

Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2022 14:23:06 +0000
From: parnello...@gmail.com (W-Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
References: <t516r5$2nk$1@dont-email.me> <fc14ad86-037e-4d06-b748-ab3c3fd2d360n@googlegroups.com> <46cb941e-afe6-412d-829f-faa2c5d7fa6an@googlegroups.com> <a060318a-48f0-48b7-8f06-7c23975469d6n@googlegroups.com> <t63m6k$86g$2@dont-email.me> <749ebbd1-84eb-46de-a45a-25110091301cn@googlegroups.com> <t69p8n$5bp$1@dont-email.me> <bc117ec3-886d-48d8-8472-b5e47a8ba118n@googlegroups.com> <XnsAE9E8F4E33F11PantyheadPoorHouse@144.76.35.252> <t75mi0$18e$1@dont-email.me> <205616c5-8dd8-4fec-b47d-a149639aab01n@googlegroups.com> <t75qca$e34$1@dont-email.me> <f9499fce-120f-4aa9-a190-acf5001e1735n@googlegroups.com> <t79jtu$gpa$1@dont-email.me> <4ecedbf7-54cd-443a-b260-cc6389eae36en@googlegroups.com>
 by: W-Dockery - Thu, 2 Jun 2022 14:23 UTC

<63bd9b3adad9248f073bf13f00d0db51@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=150774&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#150774

Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2022 11:29:30 +0000
From: parnello...@gmail.com (W-Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
References: <t516r5$2nk$1@dont-email.me> <fc14ad86-037e-4d06-b748-ab3c3fd2d360n@googlegroups.com> <46cb941e-afe6-412d-829f-faa2c5d7fa6an@googlegroups.com> <a060318a-48f0-48b7-8f06-7c23975469d6n@googlegroups.com> <t63m6k$86g$2@dont-email.me> <749ebbd1-84eb-46de-a45a-25110091301cn@googlegroups.com> <t69p8n$5bp$1@dont-email.me> <bc117ec3-886d-48d8-8472-b5e47a8ba118n@googlegroups.com> <XnsAE9E8F4E33F11PantyheadPoorHouse@144.76.35.252> <t75mi0$18e$1@dont-email.me>
 by: W-Dockery - Sat, 4 Jun 2022 11:29 UTC

George J. Dance wrote:

> (piggy-backing, since the original's no longer on my usenet feed.
>> NancyGene <nancygene.andjayme@gmail.com> wrote in

>>> Just because we didn't mention it doesn't mean that we didn't
>>> recognize it. We cannot cover everything in our reviews. The Virgin
>>> Mary was a handmaid to God, and Rachel, Bilhah, and Jacob fooled
>>> around in Genesis.
>>>
>>> George Dance, why didn't you (or Jordy's Uncle) mention the origin of
>>> the title?

> (1) neither of us were writing a "review".
> (2) As you'd know if you've read the thread, I disagree with Michael: I
> don't think knowing the reference of a title is necessary to understand
> a novel or a poem. (It might add 'depth' of understanding, but it isn't
> crucial for understanding the work at all).

>>> From now on, all references to titles of songs, books,
>>> poems, etc., must analyze from whence the title came.
>>

> Or you can disagree with Michael, too. Take your pick.

>>> We always knew what it meant.
>>

> Well, now that you understand its implications, you have to decide
> whether you agree with it or not. Have fun deciding.

Good morning, the above is worth remembering.

Re: PPB: May / Christina Rossetti

<2c2ada5f056c017b60f81b72e41d0199@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=153291&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#153291

Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2022 21:04:14 +0000
From: vhugo...@gmail.com (Victor H.)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
References: <t516r5$2nk$1@dont-email.me> <fc14ad86-037e-4d06-b748-ab3c3fd2d360n@googlegroups.com> <46cb941e-afe6-412d-829f-faa2c5d7fa6an@googlegroups.com> <a060318a-48f0-48b7-8f06-7c23975469d6n@googlegroups.com> <t63m6k$86g$2@dont-email.me> <749ebbd1-84eb-46de-a45a-25110091301cn@googlegroups.com> <t69p8n$5bp$1@dont-email.me> <bc117ec3-886d-48d8-8472-b5e47a8ba118n@googlegroups.com> <XnsAE9E8F4E33F11PantyheadPoorHouse@144.76.35.252> <t75mi0$18e$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Victor H. - Sun, 19 Jun 2022 21:04 UTC

George J. Dance wrote:

> (piggy-backing, since the original's no longer on my usenet feed.
>> NancyGene <nancygene.andjayme@gmail.com> wrote in

>>> Just because we didn't mention it doesn't mean that we didn't
>>> recognize it. We cannot cover everything in our reviews. The Virgin
>>> Mary was a handmaid to God, and Rachel, Bilhah, and Jacob fooled
>>> around in Genesis.
>>>
>>> George Dance, why didn't you (or Jordy's Uncle) mention the origin of
>>> the title?

> (1) neither of us were writing a "review".
> (2) As you'd know if you've read the thread, I disagree with Michael: I
> don't think knowing the reference of a title is necessary to understand
> a novel or a poem. (It might add 'depth' of understanding, but it isn't
> crucial for understanding the work at all).

>>> From now on, all references to titles of songs, books,
>>> poems, etc., must analyze from whence the title came.
>>

> Or you can disagree with Michael, too. Take your pick.

>>> We always knew what it meant.
>>

> Well, now that you understand its implications, you have to decide
> whether you agree with it or not. Have fun deciding.

Interesting points that seem to have fallen by the wayside....

Re: PPB: May / Christina Rossetti

<04e1d713-02c3-4c5c-9996-b8b1a080839an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=153447&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#153447

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2022 16:51:36 -0700 (PDT)
From: opb...@yahoo.com (Will Dockery)
 by: Will Dockery - Mon, 20 Jun 2022 23:51 UTC

On Sunday, June 19, 2022 at 5:05:17 PM UTC-4, vhug...@gmail.com wrote:
> George J. Dance wrote:
>
> > (piggy-backing, since the original's no longer on my usenet feed.
> >> NancyGene <nancygene...@gmail.com> wrote in

> > (1) neither of us were writing a "review".
> > (2) As you'd know if you've read the thread, I disagree with Michael: I
> > don't think knowing the reference of a title is necessary to understand
> > a novel or a poem. (It might add 'depth' of understanding, but it isn't
> > crucial for understanding the work at all).

> > Or you can disagree with Michael, too. Take your pick.

> > Well, now that you understand its implications, you have to decide
> > whether you agree with it or not. Have fun deciding.
> Interesting points that seem to have fallen by the wayside....

Agreed, worth another read.

Re: PPB: May / Christina Rossetti

<aeae540df56a8ef9fd0ebcdc8512277d@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=155481&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#155481

Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2022 20:45:32 +0000
From: tzod9...@gmail.com (General-Zod)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
References: <t516r5$2nk$1@dont-email.me> <fc14ad86-037e-4d06-b748-ab3c3fd2d360n@googlegroups.com> <46cb941e-afe6-412d-829f-faa2c5d7fa6an@googlegroups.com> <a060318a-48f0-48b7-8f06-7c23975469d6n@googlegroups.com> <t63m6k$86g$2@dont-email.me> <749ebbd1-84eb-46de-a45a-25110091301cn@googlegroups.com> <t69p8n$5bp$1@dont-email.me> <bc117ec3-886d-48d8-8472-b5e47a8ba118n@googlegroups.com> <XnsAE9E8F4E33F11PantyheadPoorHouse@144.76.35.252> <t75mi0$18e$1@dont-email.me> <2c2ada5f056c017b60f81b72e41d0199@news.novabbs.com> <04e1d713-02c3-4c5c-9996-b8b1a080839an@googlegroups.com>
 by: General-Zod - Sat, 2 Jul 2022 20:45 UTC

Will Dockery wrote:

> On Sunday, June 19, 2022 at 5:05:17 PM UTC-4, vhug...@gmail.com wrote:
>> George J. Dance wrote:
>>
>> > (piggy-backing, since the original's no longer on my usenet feed.

>> > (1) neither of us were writing a "review".
>> > (2) As you'd know if you've read the thread, I disagree with Michael: I
>> > don't think knowing the reference of a title is necessary to understand
>> > a novel or a poem. (It might add 'depth' of understanding, but it isn't
>> > crucial for understanding the work at all).

>> > Or you can disagree with Michael, too. Take your pick.

>> > Well, now that you understand its implications, you have to decide
>> > whether you agree with it or not. Have fun deciding.
>> Interesting points that seem to have fallen by the wayside....

> Agreed, worth another read.

Quite true....

Re: PPB: May / Christina Rossetti

<7f6e5f40-872e-4935-b8fc-b3f7babb1c9cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=155816&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#155816

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2022 09:48:39 -0700 (PDT)
From: opb...@yahoo.com (Will Dockery)
 by: Will Dockery - Tue, 5 Jul 2022 16:48 UTC

On Saturday, July 2, 2022 at 4:50:18 PM UTC-4, Zod wrote:
> Will Dockery wrote:

> >> Interesting points that seem to have fallen by the wayside....
>
> > Agreed, worth another read.
> Quite true....

Yes.