From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Facebook Bans People for Simply Saying Abortion Pills Exist
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2022 05:38:47 +0000
 by: BTR1701 - Mon, 1 Aug 2022 05:38 UTC

"Facebook, no stranger to sucking up to and amplifying the authoritarian
right..."

Yes, Facebook is a well-known hotbed of right-wing activists. <rolls eyes>

---------------------------------
On the one hand, content moderation at the scale modern social media companies
operate at is an impossible nightmare. Companies are always going to lack the
staff and resources to do it well (raising questions about the dangers of
automation at scale), and they're always going to screw things up for reasons
well discussed.

At the same time, there's Facebook. A company whose executive leadership team
often compounds these challenges by making the worst and most idiotic
decisions possible at any particular moment.

Case in point: the company appears to have consciously embraced the policy of
banning Facebook and Instagram users for saying they might mail abortion pills
in the wake of the Supreme Court's overturning Roe:

To corroborate this activity, on Friday a Motherboard reporter
attempted to post the phrase "abortion pills can be mailed" on
Facebook using a burner account. The post was flagged within
seconds as violating the site's community standards, specifically
the rules against buying, selling, or exchanging medical or
non-medical drugs. The reporter was given the option to "disagree"
with the decision or "agree" with it. After she chose "disagree",
the post was removed.

Again, we're not just talking about blocking websites that actually mail
abortion pills. Reporters at Vice's Motherboard found that even publicly
acknowledging that abortion pills exist and could be mailed resulted in an
account ban.

Other reporters have confirmed the changes. Facebook refuses to reverse the
bans or even respond to reporter inquiries into the policy, which are
consciously bad choices, not content moderation at scale problems.

The company's systems claim that even mentioning that these pills exist
violates its community standards related to "restricted goods and services".
Yet when other reporters made similar posts promising to mail marijuana or
guns, there were no restrictions:

The Facebook account was immediately put on a "warning status" for the post,
which Facebook said violated its standards on "guns, animals, and other
regulated goods". Yet, when the AP reporter made the same exact post but
swapped out the words "abortion pills" for "a gun", the post remained
untouched. A post with the same exact offer to mail "weed" was also left up
and not considered a violation. Marijuana is illegal under federal law and it
is illegal to send it through the mail.

Activist groups like Fight For the Future were decidedly unimpressed, saying
the policy foretold uglier things to come as the far right continues to push
its court-enabled advantage:

Facebook's censorship of critical reproductive healthcare
information and advocacy should be a massive, code-red warning
to Democrats who want to revise or repeal Section 230. In a
post-Roe environment, litigation-fearing platforms will cover their
hides by tearing down online access to abortion healthcare
and support.

Facebook, no stranger to sucking up to and amplifying the authoritarian right,
has also tried to restrict employees from talking about abortion bans at work,
triggering a backlash. The company is also finding itself under fire after it
classified one prominent pro-choice activism group a terrorist organization.

Countless tech companies, including Facebook, have failed to even issue basic
platitudes on securing women's location, app usage, or browsing data from
state officials (or vigilantes) looking to punish women in the wake of Roe's
reversal.

Again, this initial lack of any meaningful backbone whatsoever in the face of
one of the most wide-reaching, transformative, legally dubious, and dangerous
political projects in a generation doesn't exactly instill confidence that
Facebook will make sound decisions as U.S. authoritarianism accelerates and a
radical court steadily chips away at democratic norms and long-established
law.

https://www.techdirt.com/2022/06/29/facebook-bans-people-for-simply-saying-abortion-pills-exist/

Re: Facebook Bans People for Simply Saying Abortion Pills Exist

<1707328211f5a608$1$1070657$2d54864@news.newsdemon.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=149923&group=rec.arts.tv#149923

Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2022 05:41:35 -0500
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
 by: trotsky - Mon, 1 Aug 2022 10:41 UTC

On 8/1/2022 12:38 AM, BTR1701 wrote:
> "Facebook, no stranger to sucking up to and amplifying the authoritarian
> right..."
>
> Yes, Facebook is a well-known hotbed of right-wing activists. <rolls eyes>

Holy fuck you right wing assholes are stupid.

https://marketrealist.com/p/is-mark-zuckerberg-a-republican/

People Say Mark Zuckerberg Is Republican—Is It True?

You can roll your eyes right up your ass, you're still doing the typical
right asshole move of denying reality. I guess I'm the only one with
the balls to call you out on it, which is why you're afraid to respond
to me. Cool!

Re: Facebook Bans People for Simply Saying Abortion Pills Exist

<1707330225467444$5$1070657$2d54864@news.newsdemon.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=149929&group=rec.arts.tv#149929

Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2022 05:51:03 -0500
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
 by: trotsky - Mon, 1 Aug 2022 10:51 UTC

On 8/1/2022 3:19 AM, RichA wrote:
> [...]
>> state officials (or vigilantes) looking to punish women in the wake of Roe's
>> reversal.
>>
>> Again, this initial lack of any meaningful backbone whatsoever in the face of
>> one of the most wide-reaching, transformative, legally dubious, and dangerous
>> political projects in a generation doesn't exactly instill confidence that
>> Facebook will make sound decisions as U.S. authoritarianism accelerates and a
>> radical court steadily chips away at democratic norms and long-established
>> law.
>>

>> https://www.techdirt.com/2022/06/29/facebook-bans-people-for-simply-saying-abortion-pills-exist/
>
> They're still using the term, "Facebook." I thought the progressives were up on all the current, dubious terms to things, like "climate change" for "global warming" and "reproductive rights" for "abortion."

Wow that horseshit makes even less sense than usual. Eunuch Derp, can
you translate for your good friend "RichA", his brain is all fucked up
again.