Remember that there is an outside world to see and enjoy. -- Hans Liepmann

arts / rec.arts.tv / What Did You Watch? 2022-07-31 (Sunday)

SubjectAuthor
* What Did You Watch? 2022-07-31 (Sunday)Ian J. Ball
+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-31 (Sunday)Arthur Lipscomb
|+- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-31 (Sunday)BTR1701
|+- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-31 (Sunday)Ian J. Ball
|+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-31 (Sunday)Ian J. Ball
||`- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-31 (Sunday)Arthur Lipscomb
|+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-31 (Sunday)Adam H. Kerman
||+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-31 (Sunday)Arthur Lipscomb
|||`- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-31 (Sunday)anim8rfsk
||`- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-31 (Sunday)anim8rfsk
|+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-31 (Sunday)anim8rfsk
||`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-31 (Sunday)Arthur Lipscomb
|| `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-31 (Sunday)anim8rfsk
||  +- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-31 (Sunday)BTR1701
||  `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-31 (Sunday)Ubiquitous
|`- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-31 (Sunday)Ubiquitous
+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-31 (Sunday)Fiz Jr
|`- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-31 (Sunday)Ubiquitous
`- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-31 (Sunday)Ubiquitous

1
What Did You Watch? 2022-07-31 (Sunday)

<tc8sur$10mqg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=149952&group=rec.arts.tv#149952

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-31 (Sunday)
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2022 08:54:03 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Mon, 1 Aug 2022 15:54 UTC

I had to run some errands in the morning, so I didn't watch as much:

The Gilded Age (HBO Max) - "Heads Have Rolled for Less" (ep. #6).
I was skeptical of Adam's claim that this show was parody... until
this episode!
But the whole thing where the Russells steal away Bannister, the Van
Rhijn's butler, for a luncheon, enraging their own butler Church (Jack
Gilpin), and then Agnes van Rhijn (Christine Baranski) finds out about
it and throws a fit (though it's not revealed who ratted on
Bannister)... did definitely seem unrealistic to the point of parody.
Indeed, the storyline where Agnes' son Oscar conspires with the
Russell's EVOL!!1! head maid, Miss Turner, also seems parodic. As does
the whole thing with the now-widow Mrs. Morris (I got the names wrong
in a previous summary - it was Alderman Morris who committed suicide,
not Alderman Fane...) and her venomous rage at the Russells.
This episode did have a nice scene with Amy Forsyth and Taissa
Farmiga (I really hope Forsyth isn't entirely absent from season #2...).
Anyway, it looks like someone has framed George Russell as being
behind the train accident. Bertha is put on the board of the new
American Red Cross, and Marian is instructed to hit Mrs. Chamberlain up
for money.

golf - Final day at the Rocket Mortgage Classic was uninteresting as
Tony Finau led the whole way and was only modestly challenged at one
point by Patrick Cantlay who then fell back and out of contention of
winning.

The Parallax View (Prime) - As I expected this to be, this was heavily
a dated 1970s movie, in the way that 1970s movies are generally dated,
right down to the utterly hopeless (and thus pointless!) ending.
Funnily enough, Warren Beatty looks old, even here!
I did like Beatty's journalist boss, played by Hume Cronyn, who has
the line of the film when he describes Beatty's character as having a
"talent for creative irresponsibility"!! Ha!
Beyond that, this was rather bloodless, being a film about political
assassinations without an actual *political angle* (which, OTOH, is a
nice change of pace from current films which surely would have blamed
everything on EVOL!!1! Republicans/conservatives/Christians/etc.). And
convoluted in a way that didn't make it compelling.

Motherland: Fort Salem (recorded) - "Book Club" (ep. #3.6).
I think this may have been the first unreservedly "good" episode of
season #3 (so far) - and while no Nicte, it at least had some Raelle
(and Willa) Collar.
Thelma Bearkiller, now knowing that the Camarilla threat is real,
helps smuggle Abigail, Adil and Alder, who now needs to be put back in
the Mycelium to "heal", bach to Fort Salem where the nearest Mycelium
"portal" is. Meanwhile, Scylla takes Edwin Collar to safety in the
Cession, and Tally insists upon returning to No. Calif. to check on her
mother. (They never show us/tell us how Tally got to Calif. from the
Cession!!)
Abigail and co. successfully get back to Fort Salem, and send Alder
back into the Mycelium. They are also introduced to "Penelope Silver",
who is still not "all there" yet!
Scylla gets Edwin to safety with Willa's old friend, Quinn, where
they contact first Raelle, and then Willa. Later, Willa and Alder
together take out the last of the Mycelium "poisoning" operations.
Tally discovers that her mom and her witch friends are going to
attack Pres. Silver's "geneology" center in No. Cal. and insists upon
going along to help and "keep watch". There Tally and her Mom discover
what Silver really has planned for the witches.
And Silver orders the U.S. to invade the Cession, after discovering
that they were harboring the Bellweather unit. Meanwhile, Anacostia,
Abigail and Adil return to the Cession, to try to find Pres. Wade,
while Gen. Bellweather and the witch army tries to keep up appearances
but will try to minimize bloodshed in the invasion.
Next episode looks like the invasion episode, and may sport the
return of Raelle.
Just 4 more episodes to go.

Lies Between Friends (Lifetime) - This was OK. My main problem is that
they didn't properly establish Matreya Scarrwener's character's motive
for Revenge! REVENGE!! (or even what her original plan was!), though
they do a pretty good job of justifying why she ends up *snapping* and
going completely nuts in the Third Act!! However, there was no real
followup with her character at the end - just a throwaway line of
dialogue, and I really dislike it when Lifetime flicks don't followup
with the villain at the end.

What did you watch?

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-31 (Sunday)

<tc91l5$11tub$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=149962&group=rec.arts.tv#149962

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-31 (Sunday)
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2022 10:14:10 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Mon, 1 Aug 2022 17:14 UTC

On 8/1/2022 8:54 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> I had to run some errands in the morning, so I didn't watch as much:
>
> The Gilded Age (HBO Max) - "Heads Have Rolled for Less" (ep. #6).
>   I was skeptical of Adam's claim that this show was parody... until
> this episode!
>   But the whole thing where the Russells steal away Bannister, the Van
> Rhijn's butler, for a luncheon, enraging their own butler Church (Jack
> Gilpin), and then Agnes van Rhijn (Christine Baranski) finds out about
> it and throws a fit (though it's not revealed who ratted on
> Bannister)... did definitely seem unrealistic to the point of parody.
>   Indeed, the storyline where Agnes' son Oscar conspires with the
> Russell's EVOL!!1! head maid, Miss Turner, also seems parodic. As does
> the whole thing with the now-widow Mrs. Morris (I got the names wrong in
> a previous summary - it was Alderman Morris who committed suicide, not
> Alderman Fane...) and her venomous rage at the Russells.
>   This episode did have a nice scene with Amy Forsyth and Taissa
> Farmiga (I really hope Forsyth isn't entirely absent from season #2...).
>   Anyway, it looks like someone has framed George Russell as being
> behind the train accident. Bertha is put on the board of the new
> American Red Cross, and Marian is instructed to hit Mrs. Chamberlain up
> for money.
>
> golf - Final day at the Rocket Mortgage Classic was uninteresting as
> Tony Finau led the whole way and was only modestly challenged at one
> point by Patrick Cantlay who then fell back and out of contention of
> winning.
>
> The Parallax View (Prime) -

This is yet another movie I could have just streamed. It is
increasingly difficult for me to justify to myself keeping my Netflix
disc membership. It used to make sense back when the only other
streaming game in time was Netflix then later to a lesser degree Amazon.
And everything in my disc clear was very clearly not streamable on
Netflix which back then meant not streamable at all. But now pretty
much anything I want to watch that I don't already own on disc can be
streamed from *somewhere* and since I have a subscription to so many of
the streaming services, odds are I can just stream it.

A few weeks ago I did take some time to check what I had in my disc
queue vs. what was available to stream and to my surprise about half of
what was in there wasn't streamable. On the other hand about half of
what was in there *was* streamable!

> [...]
> Abigail and Adil return to the Cession, to try to find Pres. Wade, while
> Gen. Bellweather and the witch army tries to keep up appearances but
> will try to minimize bloodshed in the invasion.
>   Next episode looks like the invasion episode, and may sport the
> return of Raelle.
>   Just 4 more episodes to go.
>
> Lies Between Friends (Lifetime) - This was OK. My main problem is that
> they didn't properly establish Matreya Scarrwener's character's motive
> for Revenge! REVENGE!! (or even what her original plan was!), though
> they do a pretty good job of justifying why she ends up *snapping* and
> going completely nuts in the Third Act!! However, there was no real
> followup with her character at the end - just a throwaway line of
> dialogue, and I really dislike it when Lifetime flicks don't followup

On the sad day Nichelle Nichols died, I watched:

The Incredible Hulk Returns (DVD) 1988 made for TV movie based on the TV
show starring Bill Bixby as David Banner and Lou Ferrigno as The Hulk.
When the movie opens Banner has been Hulk free for a couple of years and
working as a scientist for a company under a fake name. He secretly
uses the company to build a machine to get rid of the Hulk. Then right
as he in the middle of using the machine an old student named Donald
Blake (Steve Levitt - What ever happened to him?) shows up and asks for
Banner's help to get rid of a curse. To prove he is cursed he pulls out
Odin's hammer and makes Thor appear. Thor starts to taunt Banner and
wackiness ensues. Tim Thomerson also pops up as the bad guy. If you
don't remember this movie here's an honest trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8BaRh88eA8

The Trial of the Incredible Hulk (DVD) 1989 made for TV movie based on
the TV show starring Bill Bixby as David Banner and Lou Ferrigno as The
Hulk. The movie also stars Street Hawk, I mean Rex Smith as Daredevil
who has to defend Banner against an assault charge. While John
Rhys-Davies chews the scenery as King Pin. I remember when this
originally aired it was the talk of school the next day and all of us
kids were eagerly awaiting the Daredevil TV show that never materialized.

Hulk (4K disc) 2003 comic book movie directed by Ang Lee and starring
Eric Bana as Bruce Banner, the always lovely Jennifer Connelly as Betty
Ross, and Sam Elliott as General Ross. With Nick Nolte chewing the
scenery as Banner's dad. The movie ends with Banner hiding out in South
America. I can tell Lee was obviously trying, but the movie just
doesn't work. Mainly because the Hulk looks like a giant cartoon blob
for most of the movie. Maybe it was passable in 2003, but today, not so
much. And don't get me started on the Hulk poodles! But it could have
been worse. Like I said, Lee was obviously trying. The movie also has
an interesting score. I'm pretty sure it's a rip off of a different
movie's score, but I can't put my finger on which other movie's score
this one ripped off.

The Incredible Hulk 2008 sequel/reboot which moves Hulk into the MCU.
Picking up where Ang Lee's Hulk ended, Banner (now played by Edward
Norton) is still hiding out in South America. He's working at a
bottling factory where he accidentally gets some of his blood in a
drink. Stan Lee drinks the Hulk infected product and the resulting
reaction alerts the military that the Hulk is still around. I wonder
what would happen if some of Hulk's blood got into his cousin? Anyway,
with everyone now aware that the Hulk is back in play General Ross (now
played by William Hurt) recruits a British soldier (Tim Roth) and gives
him some super serum to level the playing field. Roth takes things a
little too far and becomes a bit of an Abomination. By the time the
movie is over a city is wrecked and Roth is going to be in need of a
good lawyer. I hear the Hulk's cousin is a lawyer, maybe she can help.
And if she can't there's always Daredevil...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7JsKhI2An0

Click here to read the complete article
Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-31 (Sunday)

<zPOdnW_IRpiOknX_nZ2dnZfqn_XNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=149964&group=rec.arts.tv#149964

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2022 17:36:19 +0000
 by: BTR1701 - Mon, 1 Aug 2022 17:36 UTC

On Aug 1, 2022 at 10:14:10 AM PDT, "Arthur Lipscomb"
<arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

> The Incredible Hulk Returns (DVD) 1988 made for TV movie based on the TV
> show starring Bill Bixby as David Banner and Lou Ferrigno as The Hulk.
> When the movie opens Banner has been Hulk free for a couple of years and
> working as a scientist for a company under a fake name. He secretly
> uses the company to build a machine to get rid of the Hulk. Then right
> as he in the middle of using the machine an old student named Donald
> Blake (Steve Levitt - What ever happened to him?) shows up and asks for
> Banner's help to get rid of a curse. To prove he is cursed he pulls out
> Odin's hammer and makes Thor appear. Thor starts to taunt Banner and
> wackiness ensues. Tim Thomerson also pops up as the bad guy. If you
> don't remember this movie here's an honest trailer:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8BaRh88eA8

I just couldn't take all the grunt-flexing.

> Animal Kingdom (TNT) - "Gethsemane" - this week's flashbacks has Smurf
> hiring hookers to keep Pope in line. I'm surprised she didn't do the
> deed herself!

Would have definitely been an upgrade from the hookers she bought. This woman
just keeps getting more beautiful with every episode, even though she's a
psychopath.

> Meanwhile in the present Pope apparently let the guilt
> over the murder get to him. Or he's just being Pope.

What's hilarious is that the cop can't use his confession against him in court
because he was Mirandized and asked for lawyer. She kept going at him anyway,
so everything he said after that is inadmissible, along with any other
evidence she develops based on what he said.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-31 (Sunday)

<tc94d6$12i8a$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=149966&group=rec.arts.tv#149966

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2022 11:01:10 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Mon, 1 Aug 2022 18:01 UTC

On 2022-08-01 17:14:10 +0000, Arthur Lipscomb said:

> On 8/1/2022 8:54 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
>>
>> What did you watch?
>
> On the sad day Nichelle Nichols died, I watched:
>
> Westworld (HBO) - "Fidelity" - Another good one!

Still waiting for this season to finish before tackling it.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-31 (Sunday)

<tc94gr$12ij3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=149967&group=rec.arts.tv#149967

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2022 11:03:07 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Mon, 1 Aug 2022 18:03 UTC

On 2022-08-01 17:14:10 +0000, Arthur Lipscomb said:

> On the sad day Nichelle Nichols died, I watched:
>
> The Incredible Hulk Returns (DVD) 1988 made for TV movie based on the
> TV show starring Bill Bixby as David Banner and Lou Ferrigno as The
> Hulk.
>
> The Trial of the Incredible Hulk (DVD) 1989 made for TV movie based on
> the TV show starring Bill Bixby as David Banner and Lou Ferrigno as The
> Hulk.

Are either of these the one where the Hulk "dies" at the end - the last
scene of whichever TV movie that was is burned into my memory.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-31 (Sunday)

<tc971u$12m4c$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=149972&group=rec.arts.tv#149972

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2022 18:46:22 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Mon, 1 Aug 2022 18:46 UTC

Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>. . .

>Hulk (4K disc) 2003 comic book movie directed by Ang Lee and starring
>Eric Bana as Bruce Banner, the always lovely Jennifer Connelly as Betty
>Ross, and Sam Elliott as General Ross. With Nick Nolte chewing the
>scenery as Banner's dad. The movie ends with Banner hiding out in South
>America. I can tell Lee was obviously trying, but the movie just
>doesn't work. Mainly because the Hulk looks like a giant cartoon blob
>for most of the movie. Maybe it was passable in 2003, but today, not so
>much.

It wasn't acceptable at the time. You know Eric Bana isn't Hulking out.
That's Ang Lee, who had himself animated. Somehow he convinced himself
that he was the only one who could pull off the movements for the MoCap
process, but it failed utterly. The CGI on top of MoCap made it all look
even worse.

Hire a dancer for MoCap?

And Hulk is Ang Lee's face, gah.

Why couldn't we have had a live-action movie with a spectacularly
animated feature cut together? That's solves the problem. Just make Hulk
look like animation based on comic book drawings.

Hulk largely looks terrible in Avengers movies with more advanced CGI.

My brain mostly rejects CGI anyway. Why can't Ray Harryhausen get work?

>And don't get me started on the Hulk poodles!

hehehehehe

>But it could have been worse. Like I said, Lee was obviously trying.
>The movie also has an interesting score. I'm pretty sure it's a rip off
>of a different movie's score, but I can't put my finger on which other
>movie's score this one ripped off.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-31 (Sunday)

<tc9729$12s2j$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=149973&group=rec.arts.tv#149973

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2022 11:46:29 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Mon, 1 Aug 2022 18:46 UTC

On 8/1/2022 11:03 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> On 2022-08-01 17:14:10 +0000, Arthur Lipscomb said:
>
>> On the sad day Nichelle Nichols died, I watched:
>>
>> The Incredible Hulk Returns (DVD) 1988 made for TV movie based on the
>> TV show starring Bill Bixby as David Banner and Lou Ferrigno as The Hulk.
>>
>> The Trial of the Incredible Hulk (DVD) 1989 made for TV movie based on
>> the TV show starring Bill Bixby as David Banner and Lou Ferrigno as
>> The Hulk.
>
> Are either of these the one where the Hulk "dies" at the end - the last
> scene of whichever TV movie that was is burned into my memory.

No. That was the third made for TV movie, "The Death of the Incredible
Hulk." When I bought the discs it was only the first two movies as a
set. I don't know why they didn't include the third one. Sometimes I
forget they made three and conflate "Trial" with "Death."

As I recall they were going to make a 4th one where he comes back, but
then Bixby died in real life.

What's burned in my mind is the hover ship King Pin flies off in at the
end of "Trial." I remember back in 89 even as a kid watching that thing
fly off I thought to myself that looks FAKE!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-31 (Sunday)

<tc9ai6$137m7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=149978&group=rec.arts.tv#149978

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2022 12:46:11 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Mon, 1 Aug 2022 19:46 UTC

On 8/1/2022 11:46 AM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
> Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
>
>> . . .
>
>> Hulk (4K disc) 2003 comic book movie directed by Ang Lee and starring
>> Eric Bana as Bruce Banner, the always lovely Jennifer Connelly as Betty
>> Ross, and Sam Elliott as General Ross. With Nick Nolte chewing the
>> scenery as Banner's dad. The movie ends with Banner hiding out in South
>> America. I can tell Lee was obviously trying, but the movie just
>> doesn't work. Mainly because the Hulk looks like a giant cartoon blob
>> for most of the movie. Maybe it was passable in 2003, but today, not so
>> much.
>
> It wasn't acceptable at the time. You know Eric Bana isn't Hulking out.
> That's Ang Lee, who had himself animated. Somehow he convinced himself
> that he was the only one who could pull off the movements for the MoCap
> process, but it failed utterly. The CGI on top of MoCap made it all look
> even worse.
>
> Hire a dancer for MoCap?

Too bad Andy Serkis was busy making the LOTR movies.

> And Hulk is Ang Lee's face, gah.

I did not know that! LOL

> Why couldn't we have had a live-action movie with a spectacularly
> animated feature cut together? That's solves the problem. Just make Hulk
> look like animation based on comic book drawings.
>
> Hulk largely looks terrible in Avengers movies with more advanced CGI.

I have noticed the Hulk effects seem to be looking worse and worse.
There has been a lot of chatter online recently with allegations about
how Marvel is allegedly over working their visual effects houses and
demanding the impossible while not giving them enough time to do the job
right.

> My brain mostly rejects CGI anyway. Why can't Ray Harryhausen get work?

I said it before I'll say it again, the old school effects stand the
test of time in ways some modern effects just can't.

I just read today that the new Star Wars show "Andor" will be using
traditional old school effects instead of the new stuff they used with
the Mandalorian. The new trailer just dropped today and it's looking
pretty good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKOegEuCcfw

>> And don't get me started on the Hulk poodles!
>
> hehehehehe
>
>> But it could have been worse. Like I said, Lee was obviously trying.
>> The movie also has an interesting score. I'm pretty sure it's a rip off
>> of a different movie's score, but I can't put my finger on which other
>> movie's score this one ripped off.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-31 (Sunday)

<da888a4f-2a8d-561-89b4-ae66e1f51c41@yahoo.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=150099&group=rec.arts.tv#150099

From: fiz...@yahoo.com (Fiz Jr)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2022 08:13:15 +0300
 by: Fiz Jr - Tue, 2 Aug 2022 05:13 UTC

Friends re-runs! Classic. So good.

Cheers,

Fiz Jr
fiz_jr@yahoo.com

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-31 (Sunday)

<233107200.681143005.368328.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=150143&group=rec.arts.tv#150143

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2022 07:40:21 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Tue, 2 Aug 2022 14:40 UTC

Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
> Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
>
>> . . .
>
>> Hulk (4K disc) 2003 comic book movie directed by Ang Lee and starring
>> Eric Bana as Bruce Banner, the always lovely Jennifer Connelly as Betty
>> Ross, and Sam Elliott as General Ross. With Nick Nolte chewing the
>> scenery as Banner's dad. The movie ends with Banner hiding out in South
>> America. I can tell Lee was obviously trying, but the movie just
>> doesn't work. Mainly because the Hulk looks like a giant cartoon blob
>> for most of the movie. Maybe it was passable in 2003, but today, not so
>> much.
>
> It wasn't acceptable at the time. You know Eric Bana isn't Hulking out.
> That's Ang Lee, who had himself animated. Somehow he convinced himself
> that he was the only one who could pull off the movements for the MoCap
> process, but it failed utterly. The CGI on top of MoCap made it all look
> even worse.

Even someone with a basic understanding of Mo-crap should’ve put a stop to
this. Ang Lee is about 4 feet tall. Using him to do the Mo-crap results in
a 4 foot tall Hulk who just looks like he’s been blown up and placed in the
scene later. What you need to do is hire somebody like Shaq..

> Hire a dancer for MoCap?
>
> And Hulk is Ang Lee's face, gah.
>
> Why couldn't we have had a live-action movie with a spectacularly
> animated feature cut together? That's solves the problem. Just make Hulk
> look like animation based on comic book drawings.
>
> Hulk largely looks terrible in Avengers movies with more advanced CGI.
>
> My brain mostly rejects CGI anyway. Why can't Ray Harryhausen get work?
>
>> And don't get me started on the Hulk poodles!
>
> hehehehehe
>
>> But it could have been worse. Like I said, Lee was obviously trying.
>> The movie also has an interesting score. I'm pretty sure it's a rip off
>> of a different movie's score, but I can't put my finger on which other
>> movie's score this one ripped off.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-31 (Sunday)

<822538272.681143256.126133.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=150144&group=rec.arts.tv#150144

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2022 07:40:22 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Tue, 2 Aug 2022 14:40 UTC

Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
> On 8/1/2022 11:46 AM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
>> Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
>>
>>> . . .
>>
>>> Hulk (4K disc) 2003 comic book movie directed by Ang Lee and starring
>>> Eric Bana as Bruce Banner, the always lovely Jennifer Connelly as Betty
>>> Ross, and Sam Elliott as General Ross. With Nick Nolte chewing the
>>> scenery as Banner's dad. The movie ends with Banner hiding out in South
>>> America. I can tell Lee was obviously trying, but the movie just
>>> doesn't work. Mainly because the Hulk looks like a giant cartoon blob
>>> for most of the movie. Maybe it was passable in 2003, but today, not so
>>> much.
>>
>> It wasn't acceptable at the time. You know Eric Bana isn't Hulking out.
>> That's Ang Lee, who had himself animated. Somehow he convinced himself
>> that he was the only one who could pull off the movements for the MoCap
>> process, but it failed utterly. The CGI on top of MoCap made it all look
>> even worse.
>>
>> Hire a dancer for MoCap?
>>
> Too bad Andy Serkis was busy making the LOTR movies.
>

>> And Hulk is Ang Lee's face, gah.
>>

> I did not know that! LOL
>
>> Why couldn't we have had a live-action movie with a spectacularly
>> animated feature cut together? That's solves the problem. Just make Hulk
>> look like animation based on comic book drawings.
>>
>> Hulk largely looks terrible in Avengers movies with more advanced CGI.
>>

> I have noticed the Hulk effects seem to be looking worse and worse.
> There has been a lot of chatter online recently with allegations about
> how Marvel is allegedly over working their visual effects houses and
> demanding the impossible while not giving them enough time to do the job
> right.

I blame Victoria Alonso. Remember her ad for the SURFACE where she showed
herself going through the live action footage a frame of the time marking
stuff she didn’t like on screen (like circling one frame of an actors knee)
and saying how she couldn’t do this on a Mac? And I pointed out that she
shouldn’t be doing this at all.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-31 (Sunday)

<1048501765.681143670.996310.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=150145&group=rec.arts.tv#150145

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2022 07:40:22 -0700
> [...]

>> What did you watch?
>>

> On the sad day Nichelle Nichols died, I watched:
>

> The Incredible Hulk Returns (DVD) 1988 made for TV movie based on the TV
> show starring Bill Bixby as David Banner and Lou Ferrigno as The Hulk.
> When the movie opens Banner has been Hulk free for a couple of years and
> working as a scientist for a company under a fake name. He secretly
> uses the company to build a machine to get rid of the Hulk. Then right
> as he in the middle of using the machine an old student named Donald
> Blake (Steve Levitt - What ever happened to him?) shows up and asks for
> Banner's help to get rid of a curse. To prove he is cursed he pulls out
> Odin's hammer and makes Thor appear. Thor starts to taunt Banner and
> wackiness ensues. Tim Thomerson also pops up as the bad guy. If you
> don't remember this movie here's an honest trailer:

One of the worst scenes in comic book movie history. The Hulk and Thor are
hanging on to the skid of a helicopter, feet off the ground. The helicopter
revs its engine and goes up. The Hulk and Thor grunt and the helicopter
comes back down. Helicopter pilot pushes the throttle harder and the craft
goes up! The Hulk and Thor grunt harder and the helicopter comes back down!
What the actual hell is happening here? Are they increasing their mass by
grunting? Even if the Hulk can do that Thor certainly shouldn’t be able to.

And who wants a goofy drunken Thor anyway? This character was basically the
Marvel version of Hercules. Who you could use for free.

> The Trial of the Incredible Hulk (DVD) 1989 made for TV movie based on
> the TV show starring Bill Bixby as David Banner and Lou Ferrigno as The
> Hulk. The movie also stars Street Hawk, I mean Rex Smith as Daredevil
> who has to defend Banner against an assault charge. While John
> Rhys-Davies chews the scenery as King Pin. I remember when this
> originally aired it was the talk of school the next day and all of us
> kids were eagerly awaiting the Daredevil TV show that never materialized.

In an all black costume IIRC. I never understood what they were thinking
there.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-31 (Sunday)

<tcbk1o$1jrc8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=150158&group=rec.arts.tv#150158

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2022 09:40:21 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Tue, 2 Aug 2022 16:40 UTC

On 8/2/2022 7:40 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> [...]
>> wackiness ensues. Tim Thomerson also pops up as the bad guy. If you
>> don't remember this movie here's an honest trailer:
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8BaRh88eA8
>
> One of the worst scenes in comic book movie history. The Hulk and Thor are
> hanging on to the skid of a helicopter, feet off the ground. The helicopter
> revs its engine and goes up. The Hulk and Thor grunt and the helicopter
> comes back down. Helicopter pilot pushes the throttle harder and the craft
> goes up! The Hulk and Thor grunt harder and the helicopter comes back down!
> What the actual hell is happening here? Are they increasing their mass by
> grunting? Even if the Hulk can do that Thor certainly shouldn’t be able to.
>
> And who wants a goofy drunken Thor anyway? This character was basically the
> Marvel version of Hercules. Who you could use for free.

This *might* be considered a minor spoiler......Consider yourself
warned......They teased Hercules in the last Thor movie. He may show up
as an antagonist fighting against Thor.

>> The Trial of the Incredible Hulk (DVD) 1989 made for TV movie based on
>> the TV show starring Bill Bixby as David Banner and Lou Ferrigno as The
>> Hulk. The movie also stars Street Hawk, I mean Rex Smith as Daredevil
>> who has to defend Banner against an assault charge. While John
>> Rhys-Davies chews the scenery as King Pin. I remember when this
>> originally aired it was the talk of school the next day and all of us
>> kids were eagerly awaiting the Daredevil TV show that never materialized.
>>

> In an all black costume IIRC. I never understood what they were thinking
> there.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-31 (Sunday)

<UBI20220731@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=150349&group=rec.arts.tv#150349

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2022 04:30:42 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Wed, 3 Aug 2022 08:30 UTC

In article <tc8sur$10mqg$1@dont-email.me>, IJBall@mac.invalid wrote:

> What did you watch?

THE LOVE BOAT:
� "No More Alimony". Alan Thicke is sick of paying alimony so he comes
aboard to make sure ex-wife Michelle Phillips actually ties the knot
with fianc� Fred Willard and it ends exactly the way you think it
would.
� "How Do I Love Thee?". Rue McClanahan plays an old friend of the
captain who gets routinely beaten by Dick Van Patten. In the end she
decides she has too much time invested in him to give him up and goes
off to continue getting the beatings she so richly deserves while he
gets counciling. I was surprised they "went there".
� "Authoress, Authoress". Carol Channing and Betty White want to get a
book published about their lives to get rich and end up not doing it
because they have a lot of inbred hick relatives in the Ozarks that
would find the book amusing. Quite frankly, the publisher deserved that
after making those Crooked Hillary-esque statements and not shutting
up.

LIFE, LIBERTY, AND LEVIN:
Mark is joined by South Dakota Governor Kristi Noem (R) to discuss the Biden
Administration�s handling of the economy and foreign policy. Plus, Peter
Schweizer, bestselling author and President of the Government Accountability
Institute, on China�s growing threat to U.S. national security.

What did you watch?

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-31 (Sunday)

<tcg9n8$2poog$6@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=150472&group=rec.arts.tv#150472

Followup: alt.troll
From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2022 04:30:46 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Thu, 4 Aug 2022 08:30 UTC

fiz_jr@yahoo.com wrote:

>Friends re-runs! Classic. So good.

TROLL-O-METER
5* 6* *7
4* *8
3* *9
2* *10
1* | *stuporous
0* -*- *catatonic
* |\ *comatose
* \ *clinical death
* \ *biological death
* _\/ *demonic apparition
* * *damned for all eternity

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-31 (Sunday)

<tcgb05$2poog$10@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=150478&group=rec.arts.tv#150478

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2022 04:30:50 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Thu, 4 Aug 2022 08:30 UTC

arthur@alum.calberkeley.org wrote:

>The Incredible Hulk Returns (DVD) 1988 made for TV movie based on the TV
>show starring Bill Bixby as David Banner and Lou Ferrigno as The Hulk.
>When the movie opens Banner has been Hulk free for a couple of years and
>working as a scientist for a company under a fake name. He secretly
>uses the company to build a machine to get rid of the Hulk.

If he's been Hulk-free for a couple years, why did he need a cure?

I guess things were os untechnological back then that anyone could
pretend to be a scientist without getting caught.

>The Trial of the Incredible Hulk (DVD) 1989 made for TV movie based on
>the TV show starring Bill Bixby as David Banner and Lou Ferrigno as The
>Hulk. The movie also stars Street Hawk, I mean Rex Smith as Daredevil
>who has to defend Banner against an assault charge. While John
>Rhys-Davies chews the scenery as King Pin. I remember when this
>originally aired it was the talk of school the next day and all of us
>kids were eagerly awaiting the Daredevil TV show that never materialized.

Yes, I was eager to see a DareDevil TV show, too.

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-31 (Sunday)

<577011531.681319430.046138.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=150496&group=rec.arts.tv#150496

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2022 08:39:57 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Thu, 4 Aug 2022 15:39 UTC

<atropos-811F2D.09365104082022@news.giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=150512&group=rec.arts.tv#150512

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2022 09:36:51 -0700
 by: BTR1701 - Thu, 4 Aug 2022 16:36 UTC

In article
anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

> Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

> > This *might* be considered a minor spoiler......Consider yourself
> > warned......They teased Hercules in the last Thor movie. He may show up
> > as an antagonist fighting against Thor.
>
> I’d like to see The Rock fighting Natalie Portman. :-)

Yeah, I don't know what they were thinking with the no-name they cast as
Hercules. The Rock would have been ideal, but I guess he threw in his
lot with DC as Black Adam, so he was off the table.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-07-31 (Sunday)

<tciu8p$34hak$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=150627&group=rec.arts.tv#150627

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2022 04:30:42 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Fri, 5 Aug 2022 08:30 UTC

anim8rfsk@cox.net wrote:
>Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>>> In an all black costume IIRC. I never understood what they were thinking
>>> there.
>>
>> I was 12 at the time. I'm pretty sure that was the first time I'd even
>> heard of Daredevil. I had no idea what his costume was supposed to look
>> like. All I knew was Street Hawk, I mean Daredevil was cool! And I and
>> all of the other boys in middle school wanted *more* Daredevil!
>>
>> FYI - If you watched the trailer for She Hulk, that was Daredevil
>> showing up at the end. Apparently in his original comics accurate costume.
>
>Cool
>
>(Checks YouTube)
>
>Well not quite the very original
>
>https://www.marvel.com/comics/issue/8073/daredevil_1964_1

Someone was soooo close to getting ice cream...

--
Let's go Brandon!