From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: RIP Leslie Bricusse
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2022 06:07:41 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Thu, 4 Aug 2022 06:07 UTC

BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

>LESLIE BRICUSSE (1931-2021)

>Award-winning composer, lyricist, and songwriter Leslie Bricusse passed away
>today. Among his many other achievements, he collaborated with John Williams
>writing lyrics for songs featured in SUPERMAN, HOME ALONE, and HOOK, among
>others.

>Rest in peace, Leslie. You read our minds.

I just came across these quotes of Leslie Bricusse in a column by
Michael Riedel of the New York Post in 2016, shortly after Gene Wilder
died. Riedel made the observation that tv tributes to Wilder included
his scene in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory singing "Pure
Imagination". I think it's the best song in the movie. "The Candy Man
Can" is the most famous song, thanks to the Sammy Davis cover of it but
the actor who sang it in the movie wasn't a singer.

Bricusse and Anthony Newley wrote the song in a day, over the telephone,
because the two men were on different continents. These two worked
quickly and it was hardly unusual for them to crank out songs so
quickly.

Amazing

Re: RIP Leslie Bricusse

<tcfnrh$2o7cg$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=150436&group=rec.arts.tv#150436

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2022 06:09:53 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Thu, 4 Aug 2022 06:09 UTC

Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
>BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

>>LESLIE BRICUSSE (1931-2021)

>>Award-winning composer, lyricist, and songwriter Leslie Bricusse passed away
>>today. Among his many other achievements, he collaborated with John Williams
>>writing lyrics for songs featured in SUPERMAN, HOME ALONE, and HOOK, among
>>others.

>>Rest in peace, Leslie. You read our minds.

>I just came across these quotes of Leslie Bricusse in a column by
>Michael Riedel of the New York Post in 2016, shortly after Gene Wilder
>died. Riedel made the observation that tv tributes to Wilder included
>his scene in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory singing "Pure
>Imagination". I think it's the best song in the movie. "The Candy Man
>Can" is the most famous song, thanks to the Sammy Davis cover of it but
>the actor who sang it in the movie wasn't a singer.

>Bricusse and Anthony Newley wrote the song in a day, over the telephone,
>because the two men were on different continents. These two worked
>quickly and it was hardly unusual for them to crank out songs so
>quickly.

>Amazing

Let's include the citation, shall we?

Gene Wilder's most famous song was originally a dud
By Michael Riedel
New York Post
8/30/2016
https://nypost.com/2016/08/30/gene-wilders-most-famous-song-was-originally-a-dud/