From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Precrime!
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2022 19:48:39 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sun, 7 Aug 2022 19:48 UTC

You remember that police procedural on Fox in 2016-17 called APB about
the tech billionaire who was so pissed that his best friend, the CFO
of his company, was murdered in a random violent act on the south side
of Chicago he "bought" a Chicago police precinct and set up magical high
tech surveillance technology? Also, he told everybody to download a
smartphone app called APB that helped with crime detection or something.

Note: I had to look it up. This is NOT the nearly identical CBS police
procedural in the same season in which Jeremy Piven played a tech
billionaire whose app was called Sophie. That was Wisdom of the Crowd,
set in San Francisco.

The gag was that some of the tech was actually being deployed in
Chicago. We got Shot Spotter, accoustic source localization of gunshots.
It has a whole lot of false positives and tends to pick up shots in
which people are test firing but not putting anyone else in immediate
danger. It doesn't do a great job picking up gunshots in street crime,
road rage, robberies, and random killings.

But this time, it worked as sold.

Overnight, a man had fired into an empty public park. Police picked him
up due to the Shot Spotter alert.

Inside his vehicle, they found four other loaded firearms including a
semiautomatic rifle. (The newspaper said AR-15 but it always says AR-15
and I'm not buying it.) There were thousands of rounds.

He had literature and was writing about mass killing. Could this guy
have been psyching himself up to commit a heinous crime?

https://chicago.suntimes.com/crime/2022/8/6/23294969/ar-15-ammunition-englewood-park-mass-shooting-notes-podgorny

Re: Precrime!

<tcp6ft$if2$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=151100&group=rec.arts.tv#151100

From: dan...@panix.com (danny burstein)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: Precrime!
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2022 20:14:53 -0000 (UTC)
 by: danny burstein - Sun, 7 Aug 2022 20:14 UTC

In <tcp4un$lqc8$4@dont-email.me> "Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com> writes:

[snip...]

>Overnight, a man had fired into an empty public park. Police picked him
>up due to the Shot Spotter alert.

>Inside his vehicle, they found four other loaded firearms including a
>semiautomatic rifle. (The newspaper said AR-15 but it always says AR-15
>and I'm not buying it.) There were thousands of rounds.

>He had literature and was writing about mass killing. Could this guy
>have been psyching himself up to commit a heinous crime?

>https://chicago.suntimes.com/crime/2022/8/6/23294969/ar-15-ammunition-englewood-park-mass-shooting-notes-podgorny

Meanwhile, there's this in Albuquerque, New Mexico:

[twitter]

Reuters
@Reuters
Fourth Muslim man murdered in New Mexico in 'targeted killings'
http://reut.rs/3P5MhnN

dannyb@panix.com

Re: Precrime!

<9a8e7f3c-e786-4dfe-841e-a44616b8c59cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=151114&group=rec.arts.tv#151114

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2022 15:17:45 -0700 (PDT)
From: jgrov...@hotmail.com (AlexJones@GITMOiguanaChowTent)
 by: AlexJones@GITMOiguan - Sun, 7 Aug 2022 22:17 UTC

On Sunday, August 7, 2022 at 2:48:46 PM UTC-5, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
> You remember that police procedural on Fox in 2016-17 called APB about
> the tech billionaire who was so pissed that his best friend, the CFO
> of his company, was murdered in a random violent act on the south side
> of Chicago he "bought" a Chicago police precinct and set up magical high
> tech surveillance technology? Also, he told everybody to download a
> smartphone app called APB that helped with crime detection or something.
>
> Note: I had to look it up. This is NOT the nearly identical CBS police
> procedural in the same season in which Jeremy Piven played a tech
> billionaire whose app was called Sophie. That was Wisdom of the Crowd,
> set in San Francisco.
>
> The gag was that some of the tech was actually being deployed in
> Chicago. We got Shot Spotter, accoustic source localization of gunshots.
> It has a whole lot of false positives and tends to pick up shots in
> which people are test firing but not putting anyone else in immediate
> danger. It doesn't do a great job picking up gunshots in street crime,
> road rage, robberies, and random killings.
>
> But this time, it worked as sold.
>
> Overnight, a man had fired into an empty public park. Police picked him
> up due to the Shot Spotter alert.
>
> Inside his vehicle, they found four other loaded firearms including a
> semiautomatic rifle. (The newspaper said AR-15 but it always says AR-15
> and I'm not buying it.) There were thousands of rounds.

All purchased with Drumpft covid checks.