A fail-safe circuit will destroy others. -- Klipstein

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: [OT] Actor and ex-cop start to reverse "woke" policing in Britain

SubjectAuthor
* [OT] Actor and ex-cop start to reverse "woke" policing in BritainRhino
+* Re: [OT] Actor and ex-cop start to reverse "woke" policing in BritainAdam H. Kerman
|+* Re: [OT] Actor and ex-cop start to reverse "woke" policing in Britainsuzeeq
||`* Re: [OT] Actor and ex-cop start to reverse "woke" policing in BritainAdam H. Kerman
|| `- Re: [OT] Actor and ex-cop start to reverse "woke" policing in Britainsuzeeq
|`* Re: [OT] Actor and ex-cop start to reverse "woke" policing in BritainAlan Smithee
| `* Re: [OT] Actor and ex-cop start to reverse "woke" policing in BritainBTR1701
|  `- Re: [OT] Actor and ex-cop start to reverse "woke" policing in Britaintrotsky
`* Re: [OT] Actor and ex-cop start to reverse "woke" policing in BritainEd Stasiak
 `- Re: [OT] Actor and ex-cop start to reverse "woke" policing in BritainRhino

1
[OT] Actor and ex-cop start to reverse "woke" policing in Britain

<tcrnv1$10rk2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=151220&group=rec.arts.tv#151220

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: [OT] Actor and ex-cop start to reverse "woke" policing in Britain
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2022 15:25:16 -0400
 by: Rhino - Mon, 8 Aug 2022 19:25 UTC

Actor Laurence Fox - once considered to be the next James Bond - and a
retired cop have struck an important blow against "woke" policing in the UK.

A (military) veteran re-tweeted a meme that some trans-person found
offensive. The police were dispatched to ARREST him (I repeat: ARREST
him) when the actor and the ex-cop intervened on the veteran's behalf.
The ex-cop was (briefly) arrested but then everyone sat down to discuss
the situation and eventually the police were persuaded NOT to arrest
anyone. A senior police official in the area, appalled by what had
happened ensured that the actor and ex-cop were advised that the
training given to the police that essentially encouraged them to arrest
people who gave offense, was being withdrawn.

This video includes an interview with Fox and the ex-cop by an
Australian team of pundits and shows some footage of the near-arrest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TV5ubJq39h0

For me, the most disturbing part of the conversation was where the
interviewees indicate that younger police officers had absolutely no
embarrassment or shame in arresting people for giving offense.
Fortunately, older and more senior officers are still often appalled by
this mentality. After all, they grew up in a free country where freedom
of speech was respected. But unless the trend to arrest those who give
offense is quickly and totally reversed, I shudder to think what their
country (or mine, which lately seems to be trending in the same
direction) will be like in a few more years.

After all, Fox and his ex-cop friend have only got the training
suspended in one district of the UK and who knows if this spreads to the
rest of the country or is reinstated in short order at the behest of
some individual with political pull?

--
Rhino

Re: [OT] Actor and ex-cop start to reverse "woke" policing in Britain

<tcrpv6$10svi$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=151226&group=rec.arts.tv#151226

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2022 19:59:34 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Mon, 8 Aug 2022 19:59 UTC

>Actor Laurence Fox - once considered to be the next James Bond - and a
>retired cop have struck an important blow against "woke" policing in the UK.

James Bond? Yeah, I know Ian Fleming always claimed that he had pictured
David Niven. But if you've read the novels, Bond could be quite the thug
if the situation called for it, plus of course the highly refined taste
and English snobbery in the extreme.

I can't picture Fox.

Plenty of people disagreed with Daniel Craig playing Bond given that the
guy is not movie-star handsome, but I really bought him in the scenes in
which Bond had to play the tough guy.

>A (military) veteran re-tweeted a meme that some trans-person found
>offensive. The police were dispatched to ARREST him (I repeat: ARREST
>him) when the actor and the ex-cop intervened on the veteran's behalf.

People need to live in countries with actual free speech and free press.

>The ex-cop was (briefly) arrested but then everyone sat down to discuss
>the situation and eventually the police were persuaded NOT to arrest
>anyone. A senior police official in the area, appalled by what had
>happened ensured that the actor and ex-cop were advised that the
>training given to the police that essentially encouraged them to arrest
>people who gave offense, was being withdrawn.

Oh my gawd

Good find

>. . .

Re: [OT] Actor and ex-cop start to reverse "woke" policing in Britain

<38ede689-669a-4f2a-bbb3-d05341968930n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=151230&group=rec.arts.tv#151230

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2022 13:40:02 -0700 (PDT)
From: edstasia...@gmail.com (Ed Stasiak)
 by: Ed Stasiak - Mon, 8 Aug 2022 20:40 UTC

> Rhino
>
> A (military) veteran re-tweeted a meme that some trans-person found
> offensive. The police were dispatched to ARREST him

Not trying to be a dick here (it mostly comes naturally…) but that's
what you and the Brits get for not having a constitution with a bill of
rights, as well as having a shitty parliamentary system of government.

https://i.postimg.cc/9MzD7K4q/Scotland-Yard-Priorities.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/L4nCV3Gt/1582665822072.png

Re: [OT] Actor and ex-cop start to reverse "woke" policing in Britain

<tcrtac$gl9n$2@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=151233&group=rec.arts.tv#151233

From: suz...@imbris.com (suzeeq)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2022 13:56:44 -0700
 by: suzeeq - Mon, 8 Aug 2022 20:56 UTC

On 8/8/2022 12:59 PM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
> Rhino <no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:
>
>> Actor Laurence Fox - once considered to be the next James Bond - and a
>> retired cop have struck an important blow against "woke" policing in the UK.
>
> James Bond? Yeah, I know Ian Fleming always claimed that he had pictured
> David Niven. But if you've read the novels, Bond could be quite the thug
> if the situation called for it, plus of course the highly refined taste
> and English snobbery in the extreme.
>
> I can't picture Fox.

He was Lewis's sidekick in Inspector Lewis.

> Plenty of people disagreed with Daniel Craig playing Bond given that the
> guy is not movie-star handsome, but I really bought him in the scenes in
> which Bond had to play the tough guy.
>
>> A (military) veteran re-tweeted a meme that some trans-person found
>> offensive. The police were dispatched to ARREST him (I repeat: ARREST
>> him) when the actor and the ex-cop intervened on the veteran's behalf.
>
> People need to live in countries with actual free speech and free press.
>
>> The ex-cop was (briefly) arrested but then everyone sat down to discuss
>> the situation and eventually the police were persuaded NOT to arrest
>> anyone. A senior police official in the area, appalled by what had
>> happened ensured that the actor and ex-cop were advised that the
>> training given to the police that essentially encouraged them to arrest
>> people who gave offense, was being withdrawn.
>
> Oh my gawd
>
> Good find
>
>> . . .

Re: [OT] Actor and ex-cop start to reverse "woke" policing in Britain

<tcrtdr$11c80$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=151234&group=rec.arts.tv#151234

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2022 16:58:33 -0400
 by: Rhino - Mon, 8 Aug 2022 20:58 UTC

On 2022-08-08 4:40 PM, Ed Stasiak wrote:
>> Rhino
>>
>> A (military) veteran re-tweeted a meme that some trans-person found
>> offensive. The police were dispatched to ARREST him
>
> Not trying to be a dick here (it mostly comes naturally…) but that's
> what you and the Brits get for not having a constitution with a bill of
> rights, as well as having a shitty parliamentary system of government.
>
> https://i.postimg.cc/9MzD7K4q/Scotland-Yard-Priorities.jpg
> https://i.postimg.cc/L4nCV3Gt/1582665822072.png

I'm not offended, Ed. I'm not even disagreeing with you. Britain has
apparently been arresting people for "offensive" social media for a few
years now but lagging badly in solving "real" crimes, exactly like your
first meme shows. The bills I read about that the Liberals are proposing
for *my* country seem to have the same focus. They seem to be determined
to copy the Brits in this respect. It's disturbing in the extreme.

When I was a kid, I learned that old saying: "Sticks and stones may
break my bones but words can never hurt me." That seems a lot saner
policy for a society than claiming that speech IS violence and needs to
be handled the same way. If you, me or anyone else can't take an insult,
we need to grow a thicker skin, not criminalize the insult. Or just shun
the bastard who is causing offense.

--
Rhino

Re: [OT] Actor and ex-cop start to reverse "woke" policing in Britain

<tcruja$11g65$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=151243&group=rec.arts.tv#151243

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2022 21:18:34 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Mon, 8 Aug 2022 21:18 UTC

suzeeq <suzee@imbris.com> wrote:
>On 8/8/2022 12:59 PM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
>>Rhino <no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:

>>>Actor Laurence Fox - once considered to be the next James Bond - and a
>>>retired cop have struck an important blow against "woke" policing in the UK.

>>James Bond? Yeah, I know Ian Fleming always claimed that he had pictured
>>David Niven. But if you've read the novels, Bond could be quite the thug
>>if the situation called for it, plus of course the highly refined taste
>>and English snobbery in the extreme.

>>I can't picture Fox.

>He was Lewis's sidekick in Inspector Lewis.

I am familiar with the actor. I can't picture him being cast as James
Bond.

>>. . .

Re: [OT] Actor and ex-cop start to reverse "woke" policing in Britain

<tcs9q6$nb$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=151267&group=rec.arts.tv#151267

From: alm...@last.inc (Alan Smithee)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2022 21:29:57 -0300
 by: Alan Smithee - Tue, 9 Aug 2022 00:29 UTC

An article said someone arranged the Pride flags as a swastika and took
a pic of it.
He re-tweeted the pic.

Re: [OT] Actor and ex-cop start to reverse "woke" policing in Britain

<tcsald$hrs1$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=151268&group=rec.arts.tv#151268

From: suz...@imbris.com (suzeeq)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2022 17:44:28 -0700
 by: suzeeq - Tue, 9 Aug 2022 00:44 UTC

On 8/8/2022 2:18 PM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
> suzeeq <suzee@imbris.com> wrote:

>>> James Bond? Yeah, I know Ian Fleming always claimed that he had pictured
>>> David Niven. But if you've read the novels, Bond could be quite the thug
>>> if the situation called for it, plus of course the highly refined taste
>>> and English snobbery in the extreme.
>
>>> I can't picture Fox.
>
>> He was Lewis's sidekick in Inspector Lewis.
>
> I am familiar with the actor. I can't picture him being cast as James
> Bond.

Ahhh. I've seen him in other roles, he might be able to pull it off.

Re: [OT] Actor and ex-cop start to reverse "woke" policing in Britain

<HH6dnRl3GfFxLGz_nZ2dnZfqnPvNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=151272&group=rec.arts.tv#151272

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: no_em...@invalid.invalid (BTR1701)
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2022 01:01:32 +0000
 by: BTR1701 - Tue, 9 Aug 2022 01:01 UTC

Alan Smithee <alms@last.inc> wrote:

> An article said someone arranged the Pride flags as a swastika and took
> a pic of it.

> He re-tweeted the pic.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8asoiu2czaoex4n/RainbowSS.png?dl=0

Come get me, coppers!

Re: [OT] Actor and ex-cop start to reverse "woke" policing in Britain

<17099df764c01bea$5$965318$ad54064@news.newsdemon.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=151315&group=rec.arts.tv#151315

Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2022 02:52:53 -0500
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
 by: trotsky - Tue, 9 Aug 2022 07:52 UTC

On 8/8/2022 8:01 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> Alan Smithee <alms@last.inc> wrote:
>
>> An article said someone arranged the Pride flags as a swastika and took
>> a pic of it.
>
>> He re-tweeted the pic.
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/8asoiu2czaoex4n/RainbowSS.png?dl=0
>
> Come get me, coppers!