If we do not change our direction we are likely to end up where we are headed.

arts / rec.arts.tv / Anne Heche, Star of 'Another World' and 'Men in Trees', Dies at 53

SubjectAuthor
* Anne Heche, Star of 'Another World' and 'Men in Trees', Dies at 53anim8rfsk
+* Re: Anne Heche, Star of 'Another World' and 'Men in Trees', Dies atDimensional Traveler
|+* Re: Anne Heche, Star of 'Another World' and 'Men in Trees', Dies atAdam H. Kerman
||+* Re: Anne Heche, Star of 'Another World' and 'Men in Trees', Dies at 53shawn
|||+* Re: Anne Heche, Star of 'Another World' and 'Men in Trees', Dies at 53Your Name
|||+* Re: Anne Heche, Star of 'Another World' and 'Men in Trees', Dies at 53Adam H. Kerman
|||+- Re: Anne Heche, Star of 'Another World' and 'Men in Trees', DiesAlan Smithee
|||`- Re: Anne Heche, Star of 'Another World' and 'Men in Trees', Dies at 53Ubiquitous
||`* Re: Anne Heche, Star of 'Another World' and 'Men in Trees',anim8rfsk
|| `- Re: Anne Heche, Star of 'Another World' and 'Men in Trees', Dies at 53trotsky
|+- Re: Anne Heche, Star of 'Another World' and 'Men in Trees',anim8rfsk
|+- Re: Anne Heche, Star of 'Another World' and 'Men in Trees',anim8rfsk
|`- Re: Anne Heche, Star of 'Another World' and 'Men in Trees', Dies atUbiquitous
`- Re: Anne Heche, Star of 'Another World' and 'Men in Trees', Dies at 53Ubiquitous

1
Anne Heche, Star of 'Another World' and 'Men in Trees', Dies at 53

<1108999855.682043379.491489.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=151867&group=rec.arts.tv#151867

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Anne Heche, Star of 'Another World' and 'Men in Trees', Dies at 53
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2022 17:36:19 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sat, 13 Aug 2022 00:36 UTC

https://people.com/tv/anne-heche-dead/?fs=e&s=cl

Anne Heche, Star of 'Another World' and 'Men in Trees', Dies at 53

EXCLUSIVE: Loved ones of the Emmy Award-winning actress and mother of two
pay tribute: ‘Today we lost a bright light’

By Elizabeth Leonard Published on August 12, 2022 02:30 PM

"Today we lost a bright light, a kind and most joyful soul, a loving
mother, and a loyal friend," a rep for the star tells PEOPLE in a statement
on behalf of Heche's family and friends.

"Anne will be deeply missed but she lives on through her beautiful sons,
her iconic body of work, and her passionate advocacy. Her bravery for
always standing in her truth, spreading her message of love and acceptance,
will continue to have a lasting impact."

The family's rep confirms to PEOPLE that, while Heche is legally dead
according to California law, her heart is still beating and she has not
been taken off life support in order to allow OneLegacy Foundation enough
time to find recipients who will be a match.

Heche's older of two sons, Homer, 20, also expressed his sadness in an
exclusive statement to PEOPLE.

"My brother Atlas and I lost our Mom," he says. "After six days of almost
unbelievable emotional swings, I am left with a deep, wordless sadness.
Hopefully my mom is free from pain and beginning to explore what I like to
imagine as her eternal freedom."

He went on to acknowledge the outpouring of love he and his family has
received from around the world.

"Over those six days, thousands of friends, family, and fans made their
hearts known to me," he says. "I am grateful for their love, as I am for
the support of my Dad, Coley, and my stepmom Alexi who continue to be my
rock during this time. Rest In Peace Mom, I love you."

The news comes a week after she crashed her car into a house in the Mar
Vista neighborhood of Los Angeles, leaving the home destroyed and the
actress in critical condition.

She never regained consciousness.

On Thursday, her rep shared that the prognosis was dire. "Unfortunately,
due to her accident, Anne suffered a severe anoxic brain injury and remains
in a coma, in critical condition," the rep told PEOPLE in a statement on
behalf of Heche's family. "She is not expected to survive. It has long been
her choice to donate her organs and she's being kept on life support to
determine if any are viable."

The statement also expressed gratitude for the outpouring of support and
for the care shown Heche in the aftermath of the devastating crash on Aug.
5.

"We want to thank everyone for their kind wishes and prayers for Anne's
recovery and thank the dedicated staff and wonderful nurses that cared for
Anne at the Grossman Burn Center at West Hills hospital," the statement
read.

Heche's career spanned decades and included memorable roles on TV, film and
the stage. She rose to fame in the late '80s and '90s with her roles in the
soap opera Another World (1987–1991) and films Volcano, Wag the Dog, I Know
What You Did Last Summer, Six Days Seven Nights and the 1998 remake of
Psycho. She is also known for her role in the 2004 film Gracie's Choice,
for which she received a Primetime Emmy Award nomination for best
supporting actress, and the ABC romantic comedy series Men in Trees, which
aired from 2006 to 2008.

Shortly after releasing her first memoir, Call Me Crazy, in 2001, Heche
made her Broadway debut in 2002 in a production of Proof, a Pulitzer
Prize-winning drama, and starred alongside Alec Baldwin in Broadway's
Twentieth Century in 2004. She was nominated for Tony Award in best actress
in a play.

The actress remained busy through the latter part of her career, with
myriad projects, including her podcast Better Together with Anne & Heather,
beside Heather Duffy, and a starring role in Lifetime's Girl in Room 13.
She also appeared in Netflix's Peter Facinelli-directed psychological
thriller The Vanished, the 2021 disaster film 13 Minutes and on OWN's legal
drama All Rise. She also appears in HBO Max's upcoming series The Idol.

In addition to her career, Heche found herself in the public eye for dating
Ellen DeGeneres from 1997 until 2000.

In 2020, Heche opened up about the public perception of their relationship
and how it affected her career during an episode of Dancing with the Stars.

"My movie premiere for Volcano, I had told them that I was taking Ellen as
my date and I was told if I took Ellen I would lose my Fox contract," she
claimed on the dancing series, where she competed for the Mirrorball Trophy
with professional dance partner Keo Motsepe. "At that moment, she took my
hand and said, 'Do what they say,' and I said, 'No thanks.' I took Ellen to
the premiere and I was ushered out before the movie even ended and was told
I was not allowed to go to my own after party for fear that they would get
pictures of me with a woman."

"She was warning me, 'This is going to happen,'" Heche continued. "I was in
a relationship with Ellen DeGeneres for three-and-a-half years and the
stigma attached to that relationship was so bad that I was fired from my
multi-million dollar picture deal and I did not work in a studio picture
for 10 years."

Heche further discussed the details of her relationship with DeGeneres,
telling Mr. Warburton magazine in August 2020 that she was "part of a
revolution that created social change, and I could not have done that
without falling in love with her."

Heche added that she is "proud to have been part of a revolution that
helped move equality forward."

"But there is still work to do," she said. "I've paved this way for myself,
and my honesty had every single thing to do with it. I think every
interaction we have should begin with whether or not we can look at and
talk to other human beings with 100 percent respect. My answer will always
be 'yes.' We have to agree that it's a possibility and that we all deserve
it."

In 2001, Heche married Coleman "Coley" Laffoon and had her first child, a
son, Homer, now 20. The couple divorced in 2009.

Heche went on to have a relationship with actor James Tupper and the two
had a son, Atlas, now 13. The two dated for 10 years before separating in
2018.

A proud mom to her two boys, Heche last posted about them on Mother's Day,
writing below a photo of Homer and Atlas, her arms slung around them,
"#luckiestmom."

As for her legacy, "Anne had a huge heart and touched everyone she met with
her generous spirit," the rep for Heche tells PEOPLE on behalf of the
family. "More than her extraordinary talent, she saw spreading kindness and
joy as her life's work --especially moving the needle for acceptance of who
you love. She will be remembered for her courageous honesty and dearly
missed for her light."

Re: Anne Heche, Star of 'Another World' and 'Men in Trees', Dies at 53

<td759n$2o8cr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=151880&group=rec.arts.tv#151880

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: Anne Heche, Star of 'Another World' and 'Men in Trees', Dies at
53
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2022 20:20:26 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Sat, 13 Aug 2022 03:20 UTC

On 8/12/2022 5:36 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> https://people.com/tv/anne-heche-dead/?fs=e&s=cl
>
> Anne Heche, Star of 'Another World' and 'Men in Trees', Dies at 53

Its a Monty Python skit I tell ya. Now the reports are that she isn't
dead. At least not yet. Still on life support but expect to pull that
in ~24 hours.

dirty old man.

Re: Anne Heche, Star of 'Another World' and 'Men in Trees', Dies at 53

<td7clj$2oet1$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=151884&group=rec.arts.tv#151884

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
53
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2022 05:26:11 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sat, 13 Aug 2022 05:26 UTC

Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
>On 8/12/2022 5:36 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:

>>https://people.com/tv/anne-heche-dead/?fs=e&s=cl

>>Anne Heche, Star of 'Another World' and 'Men in Trees', Dies at 53

>Its a Monty Python skit I tell ya. Now the reports are that she isn't
>dead. At least not yet. Still on life support but expect to pull that
>in ~24 hours.

The reports did not say she isn't dead. They say she's been declared
dead but remains on life support to facilitate organ and tissue harvesting.

Re: Anne Heche, Star of 'Another World' and 'Men in Trees', Dies at 53

<acgefhdi3osimaa14oc1fqm3ogkj1htfsj@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=151893&group=rec.arts.tv#151893

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2022 02:16:22 -0400
 by: shawn - Sat, 13 Aug 2022 06:16 UTC

On Sat, 13 Aug 2022 05:26:11 -0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman"
<ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

>Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
>>On 8/12/2022 5:36 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>
>>>https://people.com/tv/anne-heche-dead/?fs=e&s=cl
>
>>>Anne Heche, Star of 'Another World' and 'Men in Trees', Dies at 53
>
>>Its a Monty Python skit I tell ya. Now the reports are that she isn't
>>dead. At least not yet. Still on life support but expect to pull that
>>in ~24 hours.
>
>The reports did not say she isn't dead. They say she's been declared
>dead but remains on life support to facilitate organ and tissue harvesting.

So she's both dead and not dead at the moment. Effectively dead with
the lack of brain activity, but the body goes on for now.

Re: Anne Heche, Star of 'Another World' and 'Men in Trees', Dies at 53

<td7gnc$10mg$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=151896&group=rec.arts.tv#151896

From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2022 18:35:24 +1200
 by: Your Name - Sat, 13 Aug 2022 06:35 UTC

On 2022-08-13 06:16:22 +0000, shawn said:
> On Sat, 13 Aug 2022 05:26:11 -0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman"
> <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
>> Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>>> Its a Monty Python skit I tell ya. Now the reports are that she isn't
>>> dead. At least not yet. Still on life support but expect to pull that
>>> in ~24 hours.
>>
>> The reports did not say she isn't dead. They say she's been declared
>> dead but remains on life support to facilitate organ and tissue harvesting.
>
> So she's both dead and not dead at the moment. Effectively dead with
> the lack of brain activity, but the body goes on for now.

As the original article said, she is leagally dead ("braindead") and is
being kept on life support simply to give time for matching organ
donation recipients to be found.

*If* the stries of booze and/or drugs being involved in her crash are
actually true, everyone should be grateful she only took herself out,
rather than some other innocent passersby.

Re: Anne Heche, Star of 'Another World' and 'Men in Trees', Dies at 53

<1715487527.682056173.989223.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=151910&group=rec.arts.tv#151910

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: Anne Heche, Star of 'Another World' and 'Men in Trees',
Dies at 53
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2022 01:48:20 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sat, 13 Aug 2022 08:48 UTC

Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
> On 8/12/2022 5:36 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>> https://people.com/tv/anne-heche-dead/?fs=e&s=cl
>>
>> Anne Heche, Star of 'Another World' and 'Men in Trees', Dies at 53
>>
> Its a Monty Python skit I tell ya. Now the reports are that she isn't
> dead. At least not yet. Still on life support but expect to pull that
> in ~24 hours.

There’s got to be a song from the Wizard of Oz in there somewhere.

Re: Anne Heche, Star of 'Another World' and 'Men in Trees', Dies at 53

<83421667.682056292.126267.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=151911&group=rec.arts.tv#151911

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Dies at 53
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2022 01:48:21 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sat, 13 Aug 2022 08:48 UTC

Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
> On 8/12/2022 5:36 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>> https://people.com/tv/anne-heche-dead/?fs=e&s=cl
>>
>> Anne Heche, Star of 'Another World' and 'Men in Trees', Dies at 53
>>
> Its a Monty Python skit I tell ya. Now the reports are that she isn't
> dead. At least not yet. Still on life support but expect to pull that
> in ~24 hours.

And she’s only not merely dead
She’s legally sincerely dead.

https://www.dw.com/en/hollywood-actress-anne-heche-legally-dead-at-53-after-car-crash/a-62796159

Re: Anne Heche, Star of 'Another World' and 'Men in Trees', Dies at 53

<1203440736.682073479.984716.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=151915&group=rec.arts.tv#151915

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Dies at 53
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2022 02:01:22 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sat, 13 Aug 2022 09:01 UTC

Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
> Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
>> On 8/12/2022 5:36 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>
>>> https://people.com/tv/anne-heche-dead/?fs=e&s=cl
>
>>> Anne Heche, Star of 'Another World' and 'Men in Trees', Dies at 53
>
>> Its a Monty Python skit I tell ya. Now the reports are that she isn't
>> dead. At least not yet. Still on life support but expect to pull that
>> in ~24 hours.
>
> The reports did not say she isn't dead. They say she's been declared
> dead but remains on life support to facilitate organ and tissue harvesting.

Organs marinated in narcotics and tissue smoked to a crispy finish.

Re: Anne Heche, Star of 'Another World' and 'Men in Trees', Dies at 53

<170add0f3b940d03$2$1669734$c8d58268@news.newsdemon.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=151918&group=rec.arts.tv#151918

Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2022 04:21:00 -0500
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
 by: trotsky - Sat, 13 Aug 2022 09:21 UTC

On 8/13/2022 4:01 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
>> Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>>> Its a Monty Python skit I tell ya. Now the reports are that she isn't
>>> dead. At least not yet. Still on life support but expect to pull that
>>> in ~24 hours.
>>
>> The reports did not say she isn't dead. They say she's been declared
>> dead but remains on life support to facilitate organ and tissue harvesting.
>>

> Organs marinated in narcotics and tissue smoked to a crispy finish.

And of course you're saying this because she's a woman and you're a
misogynistic closet homosexual.

Re: Anne Heche, Star of 'Another World' and 'Men in Trees', Dies at 53

<td8avf$2r93n$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=151926&group=rec.arts.tv#151926

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2022 14:03:27 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sat, 13 Aug 2022 14:03 UTC

>Sat, 13 Aug 2022 05:26:11 -0000 (UTC), Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com>:
>>Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>>>Its a Monty Python skit I tell ya. Now the reports are that she isn't
>>>dead. At least not yet. Still on life support but expect to pull that
>>>in ~24 hours.

>>The reports did not say she isn't dead. They say she's been declared
>>dead but remains on life support to facilitate organ and tissue harvesting.

>So she's both dead and not dead at the moment. Effectively dead with
>the lack of brain activity, but the body goes on for now.

Is a doctor declaring the patient dead based on brain death truly as much
of a legal fiction as you and D.T. are suggesting? Higher brain function
has been lost and recovery is impossible. How can that still be a human
being and not a corpse? The right-to-lifers oppose declaring death until
the heart has stopped beating and oppose laws allowing cessation of
artificial life support until that happens. They'll even go so far as to
maintain artificial life support that has replaced heart and lung
activity and I'm not sure how death gets declared under those
circumstances.

In the Anne Heche thread in alt.obituaries, someone brought up the
horror of the attempted murder of Joe Columbo, shot three times in the
head. Following surgery to remove bullets from his brain and neck, he
remained completely paralyzed and comotose and on artificial life
support for another 7 years. I'm not sure all higher brain function had
ceased, however, and he might not have met the criteria for declaring
brain death.

That's pure torture but, you know, the decision to perform surgery on
him in circumstances in which no recovery was possible didn't count
agains the surgical team's win/loss record as the patient was kept alive
for another 7 years at tremendous expense, possibly in agony, consumer
medical resources that were not available to patients who might have
benefitted from them.

People who oppose the idea that brain dead is dead really don't want to
find themselves in similar circumstances.

Re: Anne Heche, Star of 'Another World' and 'Men in Trees', Dies at 53

<yrWcnf_FGoefV2r_nZ2dnZfqnPVQAAAA@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=151944&group=rec.arts.tv#151944

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Dies at 53
From: no_em...@invalid.invalid (BTR1701)
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2022 15:57:54 +0000
 by: BTR1701 - Sat, 13 Aug 2022 15:57 UTC

Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:
> On 2022-08-13 06:16:22 +0000, shawn said:
>> On Sat, 13 Aug 2022 05:26:11 -0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman"
>> <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

>>> The reports did not say she isn't dead. They say she's been declared
>>> dead but remains on life support to facilitate organ and tissue harvesting.
>>
>> So she's both dead and not dead at the moment. Effectively dead with
>> the lack of brain activity, but the body goes on for now.
>
> As the original article said, she is leagally dead ("braindead") and is
> being kept on life support simply to give time for matching organ
> donation recipients to be found.

I'm not sure I'd want one of Heche's organs. Those things have been rode
hard and put up wet. How much of the drugs she's run through her system for
decades is in them?

Re: Anne Heche, Star of 'Another World' and 'Men in Trees', Dies at 53

<td8j6r$de7$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=151949&group=rec.arts.tv#151949

From: dan...@panix.com (danny burstein)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2022 16:23:55 -0000 (UTC)
 by: danny burstein - Sat, 13 Aug 2022 16:23 UTC

In <td8avf$2r93n$3@dont-email.me> "Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com> writes:

[snip]

>In the Anne Heche thread in alt.obituaries, someone brought up the
>horror of the attempted murder of Joe Columbo, shot three times in the
>head. Following surgery to remove bullets from his brain and neck, he
>remained completely paralyzed and comotose and on artificial life
>support for another 7 years. I'm not sure all higher brain function had
>ceased, however, and he might not have met the criteria for declaring
>brain death.

'tis amusing how no one was ever charged with the murder
of the (alleged) assassin, Jerome A. Johnson....

>People who oppose the idea that brain dead is dead really don't want to
>find themselves in similar circumstances.

If you survey medical folk, or funeral workers (and lots
of similars..) and ask them, I'd suspect 99 or so percent
of them would say that in their own cases, just pull the plug.

dannyb@panix.com

Re: Anne Heche, Star of 'Another World' and 'Men in Trees', Dies at 53

<td8p3c$2smir$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=151964&group=rec.arts.tv#151964

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Dies at 53
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2022 18:04:28 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sat, 13 Aug 2022 18:04 UTC

BTR1701 <no_email@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:

>>>So she's both dead and not dead at the moment. Effectively dead with
>>>the lack of brain activity, but the body goes on for now.

>>As the original article said, she is leagally dead ("braindead") and is
>>being kept on life support simply to give time for matching organ
>>donation recipients to be found.

>I'm not sure I'd want one of Heche's organs. Those things have been rode
>hard and put up wet. How much of the drugs she's run through her system for
>decades is in them?

You remember that episode of House M.D. A patient was desperate for an
organ transplant but ineligible to receive one based on the extremely
strict criteria of the organ registry, so House arranged for a direct
organ donation from another dying patient in a coma. But first, he had
to cure the donor patient's syphillis.

Yeah, you can't always choose the perfectly sober 20 year old who became
an organ donor upon crashing his motorcycle, short of murdering him
yourself.

Re: Anne Heche, Star of 'Another World' and 'Men in Trees', Dies at 53

<td8p6v$2smir$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=151965&group=rec.arts.tv#151965

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2022 18:06:23 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sat, 13 Aug 2022 18:06 UTC

danny burstein <dannyb@panix.com> wrote:
>"Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com> writes:

>[snip]

>>In the Anne Heche thread in alt.obituaries, someone brought up the
>>horror of the attempted murder of Joe Columbo, shot three times in the
>>head. Following surgery to remove bullets from his brain and neck, he
>>remained completely paralyzed and comotose and on artificial life
>>support for another 7 years. I'm not sure all higher brain function had
>>ceased, however, and he might not have met the criteria for declaring
>>brain death.

>'tis amusing how no one was ever charged with the murder
>of the (alleged) assassin, Jerome A. Johnson....

I think that was defense of others. There's nothing to prosecute.

>>People who oppose the idea that brain dead is dead really don't want to
>>find themselves in similar circumstances.

>If you survey medical folk, or funeral workers (and lots
>of similars..) and ask them, I'd suspect 99 or so percent
>of them would say that in their own cases, just pull the plug.

I've read that doctors and nurses do not have the same long lingering
deaths that they put the rest of us through in the final hospital
admission.

Re: Anne Heche, Star of 'Another World' and 'Men in Trees', Dies at 53

<td8pnt$4vs$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=151969&group=rec.arts.tv#151969

From: dan...@panix.com (danny burstein)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2022 18:15:25 -0000 (UTC)
 by: danny burstein - Sat, 13 Aug 2022 18:15 UTC

In <td8p6v$2smir$3@dont-email.me> "Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com> writes:

>>'tis amusing how no one was ever charged with the murder
>>of the (alleged) assassin, Jerome A. Johnson....

>I think that was defense of others. There's nothing to prosecute.

The general belief back then in NYC was this was
a classic mob hit, with "B" killing "A", then "C"
killing off "B" so no one to talk...

hmmm... couldn't find any online references, but
per news reports at that time, a bunch of guns
were later found on the ground...

ahhhhh:
"Meanwhile, investigators recovered several handguns
from the bloody scene at Columbus Circle,..."

https://themobmuseum.org/blog/life-death-joe-colombo/

dannyb@panix.com

Re: Anne Heche, Star of 'Another World' and 'Men in Trees', Dies at 53

<130820221429092400%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=151970&group=rec.arts.tv#151970

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2022 14:29:09 -0400
 by: A Friend - Sat, 13 Aug 2022 18:29 UTC

In article <td8p3c$2smir$2@dont-email.me>, Adam H. Kerman
<ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

> BTR1701 <no_email@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> >Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:

> >>As the original article said, she is leagally dead ("braindead") and is
> >>being kept on life support simply to give time for matching organ
> >>donation recipients to be found.
>
> >I'm not sure I'd want one of Heche's organs. Those things have been rode
> >hard and put up wet. How much of the drugs she's run through her system for
> >decades is in them?
>
> You remember that episode of House M.D. A patient was desperate for an
> organ transplant but ineligible to receive one based on the extremely
> strict criteria of the organ registry, so House arranged for a direct
> organ donation from another dying patient in a coma. But first, he had
> to cure the donor patient's syphillis.
>
> Yeah, you can't always choose the perfectly sober 20 year old who became
> an organ donor upon crashing his motorcycle, short of murdering him
> yourself.

There was also the Goodbye, Jimmy Smits arc of NYPD Blue, where the
police captain gently talked the widow of a recently deceased cop to
donate her husband's heart to Jimmy.

Re: Anne Heche, Star of 'Another World' and 'Men in Trees', Dies at 53

<td8t0b$fg8$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=151974&group=rec.arts.tv#151974

From: alm...@last.inc (Alan Smithee)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: Anne Heche, Star of 'Another World' and 'Men in Trees', Dies
at 53
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2022 16:11:07 -0300
 by: Alan Smithee - Sat, 13 Aug 2022 19:11 UTC

On 08/13/2022 03:16 AM, shawn wrote:

> On Sat, 13 Aug 2022 05:26:11 -0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman"
> <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
>
>> Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>>> Its a Monty Python skit I tell ya. Now the reports are that she isn't
>>> dead. At least not yet. Still on life support but expect to pull that
>>> in ~24 hours.

>> The reports did not say she isn't dead. They say she's been declared
>> dead but remains on life support to facilitate organ and tissue harvesting.

> So she's both dead and not dead at the moment.

Schrodinger's corpse?

Re: Anne Heche, Star of 'Another World' and 'Men in Trees', Dies at 53

<td8tkv$q4p$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=151976&group=rec.arts.tv#151976

From: alm...@last.inc (Alan Smithee)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
at 53
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2022 16:22:07 -0300
 by: Alan Smithee - Sat, 13 Aug 2022 19:22 UTC

On 08/13/2022 03:35 AM, Your Name wrote:
> As the original article said, she is leagally dead ("braindead") and is
> being kept on life support simply to give time for matching organ
> donation recipients to be found.

The scary part is that recipients of organ donations often show the
traits of the donor.
Particularly heart donations.

Nobody should be surprised if there are stories of people wandering in
fields while trying to hail spaceships. Or giving their kids names like
Homer.

Re: Anne Heche, Star of 'Another World' and 'Men in Trees', Dies at 53

<td8u1i$v5e$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=151977&group=rec.arts.tv#151977

From: alm...@last.inc (Alan Smithee)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
at 53
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2022 16:28:49 -0300
 by: Alan Smithee - Sat, 13 Aug 2022 19:28 UTC

On 08/13/2022 03:15 PM, danny burstein wrote:
> In <td8p6v$2smir$3@dont-email.me> "Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com> writes:
>
>>> 'tis amusing how no one was ever charged with the murder
>>> of the (alleged) assassin, Jerome A. Johnson....
>
>> I think that was defense of others. There's nothing to prosecute.

> The general belief back then in NYC was this was
> a classic mob hit, with "B" killing "A", then "C"
> killing off "B" so no one to talk...

The first rule of paid assassinations is "get rid of the assassin" and
that story fits.

Re: Anne Heche, Star of 'Another World' and 'Men in Trees', Dies at 53

<MZOcnV-9q8x4NmX_nZ2dnZfqn_idnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=152029&group=rec.arts.tv#152029

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2022 04:02:47 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Sun, 14 Aug 2022 08:02 UTC

nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com wrote:

>So she's both dead and not dead at the moment. Effectively dead with
>the lack of brain activity, but the body goes on for now.

So you're saying she's a Democrat.

-
Let's go Brandon!

Re: Anne Heche, Star of 'Another World' and 'Men in Trees', Dies at 53

<MZOcnV69q8wOMWX_nZ2dnZfqn_idnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=152030&group=rec.arts.tv#152030

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
53
From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2022 04:05:41 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Sun, 14 Aug 2022 08:05 UTC

In article <td759n$2o8cr$1@dont-email.me>, dtravel@sonic.net wrote:
> On 8/12/2022 5:36 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:

>> Anne Heche, Star of 'Another World' and 'Men in Trees', Dies at 53
>
>Its a Monty Python skit I tell ya. Now the reports are that she isn't
>dead. At least not yet. Still on life support but expect to pull that
>in ~24 hours.

She's not dead. She resting her eyes.

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: Anne Heche, Star of 'Another World' and 'Men in Trees', Dies at 53

<MZOcnVm9q8yDMGX_nZ2dnZfqn_idnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=152031&group=rec.arts.tv#152031

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2022 13:36:19 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Sat, 13 Aug 2022 17:36 UTC

anim8rfsk@cox.net wrote:

>Anne Heche, Star of 'Another World' and 'Men in Trees', Dies at 53

I am beyond tired of hearing about this drug-addled lunatic.

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: Anne Heche, Star of 'Another World' and 'Men in Trees', Dies at 53

<4sGdnfFClOxdLWX_nZ2dnZfqnPudnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=152034&group=rec.arts.tv#152034

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
at 53
From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2022 04:23:13 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Sun, 14 Aug 2022 08:23 UTC

In article <td8tkv$q4p$1@gioia.aioe.org>, alms@last.inc wrote:

>The scary part is that recipients of organ donations often show the
>traits of the donor.
>Particularly heart donations.

I'm calling Barbra Streissand on that one.

--
Let's go Brandon!