Happiness isn't having what you want, it's wanting what you have.

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: [OT] An unusual life

SubjectAuthor
* [OT] An unusual lifeRhino
`* Re: [OT] An unusual lifeshawn
 +- Re: [OT] An unusual lifeRhino
 `* Re: [OT] An unusual lifeBTR1701
  +* Re: [OT] An unusual lifeRhino
  |`- Re: [OT] An unusual lifeThe Horny Goat
  +- Re: [OT] An unusual lifetrotsky
  `- Re: [OT] An unusual lifeDavid Johnston

1
[OT] An unusual life

<td5k7o$2gpm8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=151774&group=rec.arts.tv#151774

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: [OT] An unusual life
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2022 09:23:03 -0400
 by: Rhino - Fri, 12 Aug 2022 13:23 UTC

I've just stumbled on a video about a 26 year old woman who has led a
most unusual life. Both of her parents are British but they were living
in Japan when she and her younger sister were born. She grow up in a
tiny hamlet and had her entire education (until university) in Japanese
and is more fluent in that language than in English, although they spoke
English in her house. Her English has a slight British accent. She
doesn't have Japanese citizenship even though she was born there and has
never lived anywhere but Japan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9AwPUy7a_8

--
Rhino

Re: [OT] An unusual life

<5sqcfhheoi75h2vpu8h0dsoi7s8pkg2hhe@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=151783&group=rec.arts.tv#151783

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: [OT] An unusual life
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2022 11:05:30 -0400
 by: shawn - Fri, 12 Aug 2022 15:05 UTC

On Fri, 12 Aug 2022 09:23:03 -0400, Rhino
<no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:

>I've just stumbled on a video about a 26 year old woman who has led a
>most unusual life. Both of her parents are British but they were living
>in Japan when she and her younger sister were born. She grow up in a
>tiny hamlet and had her entire education (until university) in Japanese
>and is more fluent in that language than in English, although they spoke
>English in her house. Her English has a slight British accent. She
>doesn't have Japanese citizenship even though she was born there and has
>never lived anywhere but Japan.
>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9AwPUy7a_8

I saw the other day and thought it interesting. Though given what
I've heard before about Japan I suspect her life might have been
different if she had grown up in more populous area where she was more
likely to encounter the outsider attitude that supposedly many hold to
those who wish to live in Japan. Things like being unable to even rent
a place without having a Japanese person co-signing the lease.
Something that I suspect would impact her even though she's grown up
there.

Re: [OT] An unusual life

<td600s$2hvmv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=151793&group=rec.arts.tv#151793

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2022 12:44:11 -0400
 by: Rhino - Fri, 12 Aug 2022 16:44 UTC

On 2022-08-12 11:05 AM, shawn wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Aug 2022 09:23:03 -0400, Rhino
> <no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:
>
>> I've just stumbled on a video about a 26 year old woman who has led a
>> most unusual life. Both of her parents are British but they were living
>> in Japan when she and her younger sister were born. She grow up in a
>> tiny hamlet and had her entire education (until university) in Japanese
>> and is more fluent in that language than in English, although they spoke
>> English in her house. Her English has a slight British accent. She
>> doesn't have Japanese citizenship even though she was born there and has
>> never lived anywhere but Japan.
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9AwPUy7a_8
>
> I saw the other day and thought it interesting. Though given what
> I've heard before about Japan I suspect her life might have been
> different if she had grown up in more populous area where she was more
> likely to encounter the outsider attitude that supposedly many hold to
> those who wish to live in Japan. Things like being unable to even rent
> a place without having a Japanese person co-signing the lease.
> Something that I suspect would impact her even though she's grown up
> there.

One of my friends travels there on business frequently. He has become
fairly functional in the language, made several friends and really liked
the place but still remarked on the xenophobia: you either ARE one of
them or you're not and foreigners are NOT. He said it was crystal clear
that Japan, which is suffering a major demographic decline, would never
resort to mass immigration to bring up the number of young people
because they just didn't want to have to absorb a lot of foreigners on a
permanent basis, although they seem to be very welcoming to tourists.

That's why I thought the woman in this video was so unusual: she had all
the baggage of being of foreign ancestry while still trying very hard to
be just like all the Japanese around her.

--
Rhino

Re: [OT] An unusual life

<0ZKcnZ6uKtgxFWv_nZ2dnZfqnPjNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=151797&group=rec.arts.tv#151797

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: no_em...@invalid.invalid (BTR1701)
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2022 17:06:52 +0000
 by: BTR1701 - Fri, 12 Aug 2022 17:06 UTC

> On Fri, 12 Aug 2022 09:23:03 -0400, Rhino
> <no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:
>
>> I've just stumbled on a video about a 26 year old woman who has led a
>> most unusual life. Both of her parents are British but they were living
>> in Japan when she and her younger sister were born. She grow up in a
>> tiny hamlet and had her entire education (until university) in Japanese
>> and is more fluent in that language than in English, although they spoke
>> English in her house. Her English has a slight British accent. She
>> doesn't have Japanese citizenship even though she was born there and has
>> never lived anywhere but Japan.
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9AwPUy7a_8
>
> I saw the other day and thought it interesting. Though given what
> I've heard before about Japan I suspect her life might have been
> different if she had grown up in more populous area where she was more
> likely to encounter the outsider attitude that supposedly many hold to
> those who wish to live in Japan. Things like being unable to even rent
> a place without having a Japanese person co-signing the lease.
> Something that I suspect would impact her even though she's grown up
> there.

America is vilified as racist merely for having immigration laws and making
an effort to control its borders, yet no one of consequence decries the
Japanese as racist despite their *much* harsher immigration controls. I
wonder why that is?

In fact, most countries have as tough if not tougher restrictions on
immigration than the U.S., yet we're the only ones who are racists for
enforcing them.

Re: [OT] An unusual life

<td66m7$2im68$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=151801&group=rec.arts.tv#151801

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2022 14:37:56 -0400
 by: Rhino - Fri, 12 Aug 2022 18:37 UTC

On 2022-08-12 1:06 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> shawn <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, 12 Aug 2022 09:23:03 -0400, Rhino
>> <no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I've just stumbled on a video about a 26 year old woman who has led a
>>> most unusual life. Both of her parents are British but they were living
>>> in Japan when she and her younger sister were born. She grow up in a
>>> tiny hamlet and had her entire education (until university) in Japanese
>>> and is more fluent in that language than in English, although they spoke
>>> English in her house. Her English has a slight British accent. She
>>> doesn't have Japanese citizenship even though she was born there and has
>>> never lived anywhere but Japan.
>>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9AwPUy7a_8
>>
>> I saw the other day and thought it interesting. Though given what
>> I've heard before about Japan I suspect her life might have been
>> different if she had grown up in more populous area where she was more
>> likely to encounter the outsider attitude that supposedly many hold to
>> those who wish to live in Japan. Things like being unable to even rent
>> a place without having a Japanese person co-signing the lease.
>> Something that I suspect would impact her even though she's grown up
>> there.
>
> America is vilified as racist merely for having immigration laws and making
> an effort to control its borders, yet no one of consequence decries the
> Japanese as racist despite their *much* harsher immigration controls. I
> wonder why that is?
>
> In fact, most countries have as tough if not tougher restrictions on
> immigration than the U.S., yet we're the only ones who are racists for
> enforcing them.

If America let in every Tom, Dick and Mary that showed up at the border
without question but made them wipe their feet at the door, I'm sure
your country would STILL be denigrated as horribly awful just on that
basis. The Marxists are as relentless as termites in trying to tear down
your country - and mine - even when we're better than practically every
other country. They've been gnawing away for decades and not even the
end of the Cold War stopped them.

--
Rhino

Re: [OT] An unusual life

<170ab0abe1fd0761$1$108236$cd54664@news.newsdemon.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=151804&group=rec.arts.tv#151804

Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2022 14:36:11 -0500
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
 by: trotsky - Fri, 12 Aug 2022 19:36 UTC

On 8/12/2022 12:06 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> shawn <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, 12 Aug 2022 09:23:03 -0400, Rhino
>> <no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I've just stumbled on a video about a 26 year old woman who has led a
>>> most unusual life. Both of her parents are British but they were living
>>> in Japan when she and her younger sister were born. She grow up in a
>>> tiny hamlet and had her entire education (until university) in Japanese
>>> and is more fluent in that language than in English, although they spoke
>>> English in her house. Her English has a slight British accent. She
>>> doesn't have Japanese citizenship even though she was born there and has
>>> never lived anywhere but Japan.
>>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9AwPUy7a_8
>>
>> I saw the other day and thought it interesting. Though given what
>> I've heard before about Japan I suspect her life might have been
>> different if she had grown up in more populous area where she was more
>> likely to encounter the outsider attitude that supposedly many hold to
>> those who wish to live in Japan. Things like being unable to even rent
>> a place without having a Japanese person co-signing the lease.
>> Something that I suspect would impact her even though she's grown up
>> there.
>
> America is vilified as racist merely for having immigration laws and making
> an effort to control its borders,

Interesting, where did this come from you fatuous fucking weasel? If
you're too much of a eunuch to respond say no more.

Re: [OT] An unusual life

<m1eefh57d56l28vh2ja3gnd7cu7jir0mjl@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=151885&group=rec.arts.tv#151885

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2022 22:40:50 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Sat, 13 Aug 2022 05:40 UTC

On Fri, 12 Aug 2022 14:37:56 -0400, Rhino
<no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:

>If America let in every Tom, Dick and Mary that showed up at the border
>without question but made them wipe their feet at the door, I'm sure
>your country would STILL be denigrated as horribly awful just on that
>basis. The Marxists are as relentless as termites in trying to tear down
>your country - and mine - even when we're better than practically every
>other country. They've been gnawing away for decades and not even the
>end of the Cold War stopped them.

That's why I say continually that the greatest lie of the Peoples'
Republic of China is to say that any strong opposition to Beijing's
policies is inherently racist no matter how abhorrent they may be. Or
pretty much any tyrannical policy that far outdoes anything Putin does
at his worst. (And god help any move by the Canadian government to do
other than admit 100000+ immigrants from the PRC each year with the
number increasing each year!)

For instance it is racist to oppose their policies in Xinjiang with
the Uighurs or their treatment of Hong Kong or their building
artificial islands in the South China Sea and claiming them as
exclusive territorial waters. Never mind the fact that nearly 1'2 of
all world trade goes through there.

Re: [OT] An unusual life

<tdbom9$iq3$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=152133&group=rec.arts.tv#152133

From: davidjoh...@yahoo.com (David Johnston)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2022 15:15:52 -0600
 by: David Johnston - Sun, 14 Aug 2022 21:15 UTC

On 2022-08-12 11:06 a.m., BTR1701 wrote:
> shawn <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, 12 Aug 2022 09:23:03 -0400, Rhino
>> <no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I've just stumbled on a video about a 26 year old woman who has led a
>>> most unusual life. Both of her parents are British but they were living
>>> in Japan when she and her younger sister were born. She grow up in a
>>> tiny hamlet and had her entire education (until university) in Japanese
>>> and is more fluent in that language than in English, although they spoke
>>> English in her house. Her English has a slight British accent. She
>>> doesn't have Japanese citizenship even though she was born there and has
>>> never lived anywhere but Japan.
>>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9AwPUy7a_8
>>
>> I saw the other day and thought it interesting. Though given what
>> I've heard before about Japan I suspect her life might have been
>> different if she had grown up in more populous area where she was more
>> likely to encounter the outsider attitude that supposedly many hold to
>> those who wish to live in Japan. Things like being unable to even rent
>> a place without having a Japanese person co-signing the lease.
>> Something that I suspect would impact her even though she's grown up
>> there.
>
> America is vilified as racist merely for having immigration laws and making
> an effort to control its borders, yet no one of consequence decries the
> Japanese as racist despite their *much* harsher immigration controls. I
> wonder why that is?

It isn't. I've actually read quite a bit about Japanese racism.