arts / rec.arts.tv / [OT] Female anchor at CTV news gets replaced by younger male

SubjectAuthor
* [OT] Female anchor at CTV news gets replaced by younger maleRhino
+* Re: [OT] Female anchor at CTV news gets replaced by younger maleThe Horny Goat
|`- Re: [OT] Female anchor at CTV news gets replaced by younger maleRhino
`- Re: [OT] Female anchor at CTV news gets replaced by younger maleDavid Johnston

1
[OT] Female anchor at CTV news gets replaced by younger male

<tde7qv$3p9j7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=152252&group=rec.arts.tv#152252

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: [OT] Female anchor at CTV news gets replaced by younger male
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2022 15:46:33 -0400
 by: Rhino - Mon, 15 Aug 2022 19:46 UTC

It seems that Lisa LaFlamme, the main anchor of the CTV national news
has been replaced rather suddenly by a younger, male, "BIPOC" who also
happens to be a Muslim.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/lisa-laflamme-ctv-blindshided-1.6551628

LaFlamme is 58 but her replacement, Omar Sachedina, is just 39. Both
have been at CTV for many years but LaFlamme is still relatively young
as news anchors on national broadcasts go. Her predecessor, Lloyd
Robertson, must have been well into his 70s by the time he retired, as
was Peter Mansbridge at the CBC when he retired a few years back.

I can't help but wonder if "intangibles" beyond mere experience were a
major factor in this unexpected development....

--
Rhino

Re: [OT] Female anchor at CTV news gets replaced by younger male

<gcclfh59vifucgi26gn9k8o6e6uh2rn8gu@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=152266&group=rec.arts.tv#152266

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2022 13:54:10 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Mon, 15 Aug 2022 20:54 UTC

On Mon, 15 Aug 2022 15:46:33 -0400, Rhino
<no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:

>It seems that Lisa LaFlamme, the main anchor of the CTV national news
>has been replaced rather suddenly by a younger, male, "BIPOC" who also
>happens to be a Muslim.
>
>https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/lisa-laflamme-ctv-blindshided-1.6551628
>
>LaFlamme is 58 but her replacement, Omar Sachedina, is just 39. Both
>have been at CTV for many years but LaFlamme is still relatively young
>as news anchors on national broadcasts go. Her predecessor, Lloyd
>Robertson, must have been well into his 70s by the time he retired, as
>was Peter Mansbridge at the CBC when he retired a few years back.
>
>I can't help but wonder if "intangibles" beyond mere experience were a
>major factor in this unexpected development....

While it would be an exaggeration to say Robertson and Mansbridge were
Canadian versions of Cronkite and Brinkley it would not be a huge
exaggeration at all.

I will be interested in seeing how the CBC will respond. I've heard
CBC has been trying to get Ian Hanomansing to take a transfer to
Toronto for more than a decade but his wife is an extremely well known
Vancouver lawyer. Hanomansing you understand has the 'right CBC
accent' and is Dravidic (meaning of Indian descent and extremely dark
skinned) and even if you put a paper bag on his head would be a TV
host of national calibre no questions asked even if he looked like
David Bowie.

Re: [OT] Female anchor at CTV news gets replaced by younger male

<tdejvd$3ramn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=152293&group=rec.arts.tv#152293

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2022 19:13:45 -0400
 by: Rhino - Mon, 15 Aug 2022 23:13 UTC

On 2022-08-15 4:54 PM, The Horny Goat wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Aug 2022 15:46:33 -0400, Rhino
> <no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:
>
>> It seems that Lisa LaFlamme, the main anchor of the CTV national news
>> has been replaced rather suddenly by a younger, male, "BIPOC" who also
>> happens to be a Muslim.
>>
>> https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/lisa-laflamme-ctv-blindshided-1.6551628
>>
>> LaFlamme is 58 but her replacement, Omar Sachedina, is just 39. Both
>> have been at CTV for many years but LaFlamme is still relatively young
>> as news anchors on national broadcasts go. Her predecessor, Lloyd
>> Robertson, must have been well into his 70s by the time he retired, as
>> was Peter Mansbridge at the CBC when he retired a few years back.
>>
>> I can't help but wonder if "intangibles" beyond mere experience were a
>> major factor in this unexpected development....
>
> While it would be an exaggeration to say Robertson and Mansbridge were
> Canadian versions of Cronkite and Brinkley it would not be a huge
> exaggeration at all.
>
> I will be interested in seeing how the CBC will respond. I've heard
> CBC has been trying to get Ian Hanomansing to take a transfer to
> Toronto for more than a decade but his wife is an extremely well known
> Vancouver lawyer. Hanomansing you understand has the 'right CBC
> accent' and is Dravidic (meaning of Indian descent and extremely dark
> skinned) and even if you put a paper bag on his head would be a TV
> host of national calibre no questions asked even if he looked like
> David Bowie.

I honestly don't know what CBC has been doing since Mansbridge retired.
I haven't watched CBC TV in years. I heard that immediately after
Mansbridge stepped down they were "trying a few different things" and
got the impression that they were rotating the anchors like Jeopardy did
after Alex Trebek died. I don't know if they've kept up that strategy
or finally settled on someone. If they haven't already settled on
someone, I am positive they will pick someone who ticks several - if not
all - of the diversity boxes.

When I lived in Toronto, the local CBC channel had already established
that pattern: Suhana Marchand, a female POC, was anchoring and both the
weather and the sports person were women. Even most of the reporters
were women although I seem to recall one or two male reporters. If
that's what they were like 30 years ago, I can only assume they've
quadrupled down on the intersectionality since then. Hanomansing would
certainly tick the ethnicity box - he's even an immigrant, which I
didn't know! - but he's also rather old now. Oops! No he's not as old as
I thought. I've seen him reporting the odd story on the website recently
and he struck me as starting to look quite old, especially around the
eyes, but Wikipedia says he's "60 or 61" (apparently, there is
contradictory information about his birth year.) So maybe he would be
forgiven his age. But would he be forgiven his sex? If he were gay or
trans-gendered, that would probably help him but being cis-gendered
might count against him in this day and age, especially if there is some
younger POC coming up....

--
Rhino

Re: [OT] Female anchor at CTV news gets replaced by younger male

<tdu9jl$517$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=153225&group=rec.arts.tv#153225

From: davidjoh...@yahoo.com (David Johnston)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2022 15:55:00 -0600
 by: David Johnston - Sun, 21 Aug 2022 21:55 UTC

On 2022-08-15 1:46 p.m., Rhino wrote:
> It seems that Lisa LaFlamme, the main anchor of the CTV national news
> has been replaced rather suddenly by a younger, male, "BIPOC" who also
> happens to be a Muslim.
>
> https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/lisa-laflamme-ctv-blindshided-1.6551628
>

> LaFlamme is 58 but her replacement, Omar Sachedina, is just 39. Both
> have been at CTV for many years but LaFlamme is still relatively young
> as news anchors on national broadcasts go. Her predecessor, Lloyd
> Robertson, must have been well into his 70s by the time he retired, as
> was Peter Mansbridge at the CBC when he retired a few years back.
>
> I can't help but wonder if "intangibles" beyond mere experience were a
> major factor in this unexpected development....

She was fired for letting her hair go grey.